285.62 driver + Firewire audio problem Audio distortion with new driver
  1 / 3    
I installed 285.62 and noticed severe audio distortion running some software synthesizers (FM8 and others from Native Instruments).

I uninstalled 285.62 and re-installed the older drivers I was using (280.26) and the problem went away.

I did this install/re-install twice to be sure it was the video driver.

The distortion does not appear immediately, but happens after anywhere from a few seconds to a minute of playing sound.

I didn't notice any video problems. I have not changed any video settings, I just use the plain vanilla settings; I don't run any game software.

The distortion sounds like a lowering of audio fidelity and introduction of random noise.

You can hear the sound, but it is quite badly distorted.

Possibly the NVIDIA driver is interfering with the Firewire interface in some way.

I did not test the motherboard audio, I don't use that. I didn't try any different audio sample rates or change audio configurations.

System specs:

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit all updates applied (except for this one)
ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard Rev 3.0
PNY GT 440 graphics card
16 GB RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Firewire 400 audio interface (2 channels out at 48000 Hz)(Firewire driver is standard Windows VIA 1394)
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.4 GHz
Thermaltake Silent 1156 cooler
2 SATA 6 GB/s hard drives (2T each)
4 SATA 3 GB/s hard drives (2T each)
Corsair AX850 Pro Gold power supply

The system overclocks fine at 4.8 GHz, but I clock it slower to reduce the fan noise and temperature.

System is stable running Prime 95 and the Intel Burn-in test.

This problem has nothing to do with CPU stress, the software synth uses 1 or 2% of the CPU. Besides the normal background processes, the software synth was the only application running.

EDIT:

Found this reference on PCI bus latency that may indicate the issue:
[url="http://www.deinmeister.de/mvp3_zlt_e.htm"]Noisy sound playback on PCs using a VIA chipset and nVidia graphic card[/url]
I installed 285.62 and noticed severe audio distortion running some software synthesizers (FM8 and others from Native Instruments).

I uninstalled 285.62 and re-installed the older drivers I was using (280.26) and the problem went away.

I did this install/re-install twice to be sure it was the video driver.

The distortion does not appear immediately, but happens after anywhere from a few seconds to a minute of playing sound.

I didn't notice any video problems. I have not changed any video settings, I just use the plain vanilla settings; I don't run any game software.

The distortion sounds like a lowering of audio fidelity and introduction of random noise.

You can hear the sound, but it is quite badly distorted.

Possibly the NVIDIA driver is interfering with the Firewire interface in some way.

I did not test the motherboard audio, I don't use that. I didn't try any different audio sample rates or change audio configurations.

System specs:

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit all updates applied (except for this one)

ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard Rev 3.0

PNY GT 440 graphics card

16 GB RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Firewire 400 audio interface (2 channels out at 48000 Hz)(Firewire driver is standard Windows VIA 1394)

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.4 GHz

Thermaltake Silent 1156 cooler

2 SATA 6 GB/s hard drives (2T each)

4 SATA 3 GB/s hard drives (2T each)

Corsair AX850 Pro Gold power supply

The system overclocks fine at 4.8 GHz, but I clock it slower to reduce the fan noise and temperature.

System is stable running Prime 95 and the Intel Burn-in test.

This problem has nothing to do with CPU stress, the software synth uses 1 or 2% of the CPU. Besides the normal background processes, the software synth was the only application running.

EDIT:

Found this reference on PCI bus latency that may indicate the issue:

Noisy sound playback on PCs using a VIA chipset and nVidia graphic card
I had exactly the same problems you have using these drivers + Saffire 24 audio interface.
I reverted back to the 266.58 drivers and the problem disappeared. I first noticed it using an VSTi instrument in Kontakt 5.
The sound was horrible as you may noticed as well.

Did you fix the problem using the solution on the site you posted?
Thanks

p.s. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with Sandy Bridge 2600k processor, I'm wondering if this old program will work on our new hardware and software...
I had exactly the same problems you have using these drivers + Saffire 24 audio interface.

I reverted back to the 266.58 drivers and the problem disappeared. I first noticed it using an VSTi instrument in Kontakt 5.

The sound was horrible as you may noticed as well.

Did you fix the problem using the solution on the site you posted?

Thanks

p.s. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with Sandy Bridge 2600k processor, I'm wondering if this old program will work on our new hardware and software...

Posted 10/30/2011 01:49 PM   
Hi, nice to know it's not just me.

I didn't try the older fix, I just saw it while searching for solutions.

I'd rather not mess around with PCI latency adjustments - the older driver works fine and I don't do any real graphics-intensive stuff.

It makes me think more about the DPC monitoring tools, though. Using LatencyMon, I see that nvlddmkn.sys (NVIDIA driver) and dxkrml.sys (DirectX) are the biggest offenders, but they stay under 1 ms. total.

EDIT:

By the way, I use the Saffire ASIO drivers:
MixControl 2.4
Firmware 1718
FW-Driver 3.5.6.11675
Hi, nice to know it's not just me.

I didn't try the older fix, I just saw it while searching for solutions.

I'd rather not mess around with PCI latency adjustments - the older driver works fine and I don't do any real graphics-intensive stuff.

It makes me think more about the DPC monitoring tools, though. Using LatencyMon, I see that nvlddmkn.sys (NVIDIA driver) and dxkrml.sys (DirectX) are the biggest offenders, but they stay under 1 ms. total.

EDIT:

By the way, I use the Saffire ASIO drivers:

MixControl 2.4

Firmware 1718

FW-Driver 3.5.6.11675
Hello,
I see you have been playing around with Latency mon as well :)
I haven't tried it with the new 285.62 drives yet because I don't want to go through al the hassle reinstalling it again.

But I have been testing with the old 266.58 drivers from Nvidia. nvlddmkm.sys is also the highest latency offender, usually it spikes around 0.5 or 0.7ms at max.. But when I play a 1080p movie with Media Player Classic it will spike beyond 6ms for a short period which results in an audio crackle and big red spike in DPC latency viewer. After that I can open any movie I want and no spikes occur, it's just the first time.

I'm using Saffire mix control 2.2 btw. 2.4 causes strange Record/play lag in DAW applications, it has been noticed by the Focusrite tech support team.
Outside that, it's working good with the old Nvidia drivers.
It's a shame we can't use the newer drivers because of that problem. Searching around in forums concludes that this latency problem has been noticed for years now. Mostly because of the throttling within the videocard (GPU, Memory speed throttling for example).
Hello,

I see you have been playing around with Latency mon as well :)

I haven't tried it with the new 285.62 drives yet because I don't want to go through al the hassle reinstalling it again.

But I have been testing with the old 266.58 drivers from Nvidia. nvlddmkm.sys is also the highest latency offender, usually it spikes around 0.5 or 0.7ms at max.. But when I play a 1080p movie with Media Player Classic it will spike beyond 6ms for a short period which results in an audio crackle and big red spike in DPC latency viewer. After that I can open any movie I want and no spikes occur, it's just the first time.

I'm using Saffire mix control 2.2 btw. 2.4 causes strange Record/play lag in DAW applications, it has been noticed by the Focusrite tech support team.

Outside that, it's working good with the old Nvidia drivers.

It's a shame we can't use the newer drivers because of that problem. Searching around in forums concludes that this latency problem has been noticed for years now. Mostly because of the throttling within the videocard (GPU, Memory speed throttling for example).

Posted 10/30/2011 03:40 PM   
[quote name='Uberhood' date='30 October 2011 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1319989211' post='1317345']

I'm using Saffire mix control 2.2 btw. 2.4 causes strange Record/play lag in DAW applications...

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that on my system.
[quote name='Uberhood' date='30 October 2011 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1319989211' post='1317345']

I'm using Saffire mix control 2.2 btw. 2.4 causes strange Record/play lag in DAW applications...

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that on my system.
Arachnaut,
Could you please verify the amount of latency the 280.26 drivers cause in Latency mon?
If it's not worse then 0,5ms I could at least upgrade to those drivers instead of staying at version 266.58. Thank you.
Arachnaut,

Could you please verify the amount of latency the 280.26 drivers cause in Latency mon?

If it's not worse then 0,5ms I could at least upgrade to those drivers instead of staying at version 266.58. Thank you.

Posted 11/01/2011 12:08 PM   
[quote name='Uberhood' date='01 November 2011 - 05:08 AM' timestamp='1320149292' post='1318518']
Arachnaut,
[/quote]

I attached a screen shot.
[quote name='Uberhood' date='01 November 2011 - 05:08 AM' timestamp='1320149292' post='1318518']

Arachnaut,

I attached a screen shot.
Thanks for the reply :)
Seems about the same:
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/dpclatency.jpg/][IMG]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9922/dpclatency.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Notice my networkcard has second place, he knows a thing or two about latency as well /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
This is for the 266.58 drivers, I will stay at this version until a better one comes along, I hope.
Thanks for the reply :)

Seems about the same:

Notice my networkcard has second place, he knows a thing or two about latency as well /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

This is for the 266.58 drivers, I will stay at this version until a better one comes along, I hope.

Posted 11/02/2011 08:02 PM   
Interesting. I decided to try some earlier drivers.
I tried 266.58, 275.33 and re-tried 280.26, but this time I did not install the PhysX or 3D drivers because I would never use them.
I also didn't install the NVIDIA update process.
I found the best results with 275.33 drivers.
Here is a result running for about 30 minutes with Reaktor running to keep the CPUs from Parking.
Interesting. I decided to try some earlier drivers.

I tried 266.58, 275.33 and re-tried 280.26, but this time I did not install the PhysX or 3D drivers because I would never use them.

I also didn't install the NVIDIA update process.

I found the best results with 275.33 drivers.

Here is a result running for about 30 minutes with Reaktor running to keep the CPUs from Parking.
Hello again arachnaut,
Thank you for the comparison between some drivers, it made me switch to the 275.33 drivers as well. Unfortunately it did not make that much of a
difference for me. What did made a difference is this, it's called the powermizer Switch. http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/273276-powermizer-switch-get-most-out-your-video-card.html (there is also the download link if you want it).
After I disabled Powermizer using this tool, my latency went down:
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/nvidalatency3.jpg/][IMG]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2126/nvidalatency3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As you see this is a big improvement. But you have to know that when you disable powermizer, your videocard will run at it's stock speed all the time.
After reading more on this issue, disabling the powermizer seems to fix the latency caused by the Nvidia drivers for most users.
I'm rather a little doubtful on letting my videocard running permanently at full speed what so ever.
Hello again arachnaut,

Thank you for the comparison between some drivers, it made me switch to the 275.33 drivers as well. Unfortunately it did not make that much of a

difference for me. What did made a difference is this, it's called the powermizer Switch. http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/273276-powermizer-switch-get-most-out-your-video-card.html (there is also the download link if you want it).

After I disabled Powermizer using this tool, my latency went down:

As you see this is a big improvement. But you have to know that when you disable powermizer, your videocard will run at it's stock speed all the time.

After reading more on this issue, disabling the powermizer seems to fix the latency caused by the Nvidia drivers for most users.

I'm rather a little doubtful on letting my videocard running permanently at full speed what so ever.

Posted 11/03/2011 06:11 PM   
I'm sure everyone's system is unique in the setup and allocation of PCI resources and system services.
So we all need to find what's best for our mainstream applications, even if the rest of the system suffers a little.
It's a judgement call.
I won't use the powermizer because I don't want the video to run at max speed all the time just to improve the latency. The values I get now are pretty good and I don't want any extra software installs.
This has been an interesting exchange, it re-inforces the need for us to be vigilant and not just automatically take every software update that comes by. Shortly we will be getting software updates just about every day and our systems will never get time to stabilize.
Sometimes I feel that I should update everything, other times I feel that I should freeze the system and lock it down.
I'm sure everyone's system is unique in the setup and allocation of PCI resources and system services.

So we all need to find what's best for our mainstream applications, even if the rest of the system suffers a little.

It's a judgement call.

I won't use the powermizer because I don't want the video to run at max speed all the time just to improve the latency. The values I get now are pretty good and I don't want any extra software installs.

This has been an interesting exchange, it re-inforces the need for us to be vigilant and not just automatically take every software update that comes by. Shortly we will be getting software updates just about every day and our systems will never get time to stabilize.

Sometimes I feel that I should update everything, other times I feel that I should freeze the system and lock it down.
Indeed, the term if it's not broken don't try to fix it may apply here. I've not disabled Powermizer for the same reasons you have.
I'm curious if ATI takes note into latency when releasing their drivers, I haven't heard any issues from their costumers about latency.
Good to know we came to a reasonable end result with some of the older drivers.

If you are reading this Nvidia, I certainly hope you consider taking some time in reducing the DPC latency your drivers cause.
Indeed, the term if it's not broken don't try to fix it may apply here. I've not disabled Powermizer for the same reasons you have.

I'm curious if ATI takes note into latency when releasing their drivers, I haven't heard any issues from their costumers about latency.

Good to know we came to a reasonable end result with some of the older drivers.

If you are reading this Nvidia, I certainly hope you consider taking some time in reducing the DPC latency your drivers cause.

Posted 11/06/2011 04:45 PM   
its crazy that they have not fixed this, i have seen DPC Latency issues with nvidia over a YEAR when googling about it.
i myself have an Asus G73SW with the GTX 460.

when uninstalling nvidia drivers, lag issues disappear.

im now going to try many different older versions to see if it will help, and also trying the powermizer switch in the end.
ill let you all know how it turns out.

EDIT:
i tried
and lastly turning off powermizer.

result: nothing worked. many lagspikes at 3500, on all versions. when turning off powermizer on 285.62, the lagspikes were only 2000, but its still too high.

[img]http://bildr.no/image/1020931.jpeg[/img]
its crazy that they have not fixed this, i have seen DPC Latency issues with nvidia over a YEAR when googling about it.

i myself have an Asus G73SW with the GTX 460.

when uninstalling nvidia drivers, lag issues disappear.

im now going to try many different older versions to see if it will help, and also trying the powermizer switch in the end.

ill let you all know how it turns out.

EDIT:

i tried

and lastly turning off powermizer.

result: nothing worked. many lagspikes at 3500, on all versions. when turning off powermizer on 285.62, the lagspikes were only 2000, but its still too high.

Posted 11/08/2011 01:33 AM   
[quote name='jagarock' date='07 November 2011 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1320716018' post='1322024']

[/quote]

Try [url="http://www.resplendence.com/main"]LatencyMon[/url] and look at the drivers tab to see what are causing the problem.
[quote name='jagarock' date='07 November 2011 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1320716018' post='1322024']

Try LatencyMon and look at the drivers tab to see what are causing the problem.
[quote name='arachnaut' date='08 November 2011 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1320732113' post='1322112']
Try [url="http://www.resplendence.com/main"]LatencyMon[/url] and look at the drivers tab to see what are causing the problem.
[/quote]

check it.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HxEHP.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YfUe1.png[/img]
[quote name='arachnaut' date='08 November 2011 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1320732113' post='1322112']

Try LatencyMon and look at the drivers tab to see what are causing the problem.

check it.

Posted 11/08/2011 07:06 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top