How to increase in-game FPS?
In preparation for BF3 I'm trying to find ways to increase my FPS so I can play the game at higher settings. I already know to minimize the number of programs running and such, however I think that any tactics that target the Memory or CPU is going to do very little, because I'm running overclocked 2920XM (4.1 - 4.8Ghz) and 16GB of 1600Mhz memory, so I think my FPS problems will have nothing to do with me not having enough CPU power or memory.

It's the GPU, obviously. Laptops aren't really made for the best graphics, as we all know. I've already used EVGA Precision to maximize my NVIDIA 580M GTX to the fastest speeds it can run at before the tweaking causes errors (Core Clock at 756Mhz, Shader Clock at 1512Mhz, and Memory Clock at 1800Mhz). I've also been working on getting my fans to work more aggressively at cooling down my system.

The overclocking has helped more than anything else has of course, however it's still only getting an average between 20 and 40fps in Crysis 2 (which I've been using to test my graphics) on Ultra settings with High-Resolution Textures and DX11 installed.

I was just wondering if there's really anything further I can do to improve the graphics processing performance of my computer without changing computers (I would have gotten a desktop if I didn't have the complication of needing mobility). Anything like a good third party software or anything that can increase the efficiency of the GPU?

I'm sure there's not much to be said on this, BF3 ultra settings are a monster than only high-end desktop GPUs in SLI / Crossfire should probably be trying to handle, but I just want to ask anyway, sometimes you find something that surprises you.

Also note that I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition

Thanks!

- Alex
In preparation for BF3 I'm trying to find ways to increase my FPS so I can play the game at higher settings. I already know to minimize the number of programs running and such, however I think that any tactics that target the Memory or CPU is going to do very little, because I'm running overclocked 2920XM (4.1 - 4.8Ghz) and 16GB of 1600Mhz memory, so I think my FPS problems will have nothing to do with me not having enough CPU power or memory.

It's the GPU, obviously. Laptops aren't really made for the best graphics, as we all know. I've already used EVGA Precision to maximize my NVIDIA 580M GTX to the fastest speeds it can run at before the tweaking causes errors (Core Clock at 756Mhz, Shader Clock at 1512Mhz, and Memory Clock at 1800Mhz). I've also been working on getting my fans to work more aggressively at cooling down my system.

The overclocking has helped more than anything else has of course, however it's still only getting an average between 20 and 40fps in Crysis 2 (which I've been using to test my graphics) on Ultra settings with High-Resolution Textures and DX11 installed.

I was just wondering if there's really anything further I can do to improve the graphics processing performance of my computer without changing computers (I would have gotten a desktop if I didn't have the complication of needing mobility). Anything like a good third party software or anything that can increase the efficiency of the GPU?

I'm sure there's not much to be said on this, BF3 ultra settings are a monster than only high-end desktop GPUs in SLI / Crossfire should probably be trying to handle, but I just want to ask anyway, sometimes you find something that surprises you.

Also note that I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition

Thanks!

- Alex

Posted 10/26/2011 09:36 AM   
Hi! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />
Well, you can check http://www.geforce.com/. But, I'm sure you already have done so /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
As an ultimate solution, you can also decrease the visual quality of games, in order to obtain higher FPS. Although, anything higher than, let's say 40 FPS, is not very noticeable. People usually choose high-end graphics cards because they play at 1080p or even more, and they want all visual quality settings maximized. Now, your GTX 580M is more than capable of handling games at 1080p. Overclocked, it provides almost the same level of performace as a GTX 560 Ti, wich is an impressive card, to say the least. Try using [url="http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html"]GameBooster[/url] and see if it helps. Also, make sure to download the latest drivers for your system. I know I'm not very helpful /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />
Good luck, though! /happy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />
Hi! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

Well, you can check http://www.geforce.com/. But, I'm sure you already have done so /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

As an ultimate solution, you can also decrease the visual quality of games, in order to obtain higher FPS. Although, anything higher than, let's say 40 FPS, is not very noticeable. People usually choose high-end graphics cards because they play at 1080p or even more, and they want all visual quality settings maximized. Now, your GTX 580M is more than capable of handling games at 1080p. Overclocked, it provides almost the same level of performace as a GTX 560 Ti, wich is an impressive card, to say the least. Try using GameBooster and see if it helps. Also, make sure to download the latest drivers for your system. I know I'm not very helpful /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

Good luck, though! /happy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />

Posted 10/26/2011 10:59 AM   
Haha, thanks but yeah I know that lowering the quality will obviously increase the speed. The whole reason I bought a high-end laptop was to make it so I could have both, so that's my goal.

I have the newest drivers, but I've never heard of GameBooster, I will try that and see what effect it has on the game.

I might attempt to overclock my GPU more with different games. I just know that specifically in Crysis 2 it causes the GPU to become unresponsive and then recover, which crashes the game. My overclocking so far hasn't been affected by heat yet, but more to just making the GPU crash for some reason, so it might just be plain incompatible with high overclocking using EVGA Precision. (EVGA will actually allow me to overclock it up to Core Clock 995Mhz, Shader Clock 1990Mhz, and Memory clock 1800Mhz. My memory clock is already maxed out, but increasing the Core/Shader clock anymore causes strange random errors).

Edit : Hmm, it seems GameBooster targets closing background programs to increase speed. Unfortunately, since none of that has anything to do with GPU usage, it doesn't have any effect really, since my CPU doesn't even run at maximum stress when playing games anyway, and I have a huge amount of memory. I need something that targets the GPU, however I don't think any such thing exists.
Haha, thanks but yeah I know that lowering the quality will obviously increase the speed. The whole reason I bought a high-end laptop was to make it so I could have both, so that's my goal.

I have the newest drivers, but I've never heard of GameBooster, I will try that and see what effect it has on the game.

I might attempt to overclock my GPU more with different games. I just know that specifically in Crysis 2 it causes the GPU to become unresponsive and then recover, which crashes the game. My overclocking so far hasn't been affected by heat yet, but more to just making the GPU crash for some reason, so it might just be plain incompatible with high overclocking using EVGA Precision. (EVGA will actually allow me to overclock it up to Core Clock 995Mhz, Shader Clock 1990Mhz, and Memory clock 1800Mhz. My memory clock is already maxed out, but increasing the Core/Shader clock anymore causes strange random errors).

Edit : Hmm, it seems GameBooster targets closing background programs to increase speed. Unfortunately, since none of that has anything to do with GPU usage, it doesn't have any effect really, since my CPU doesn't even run at maximum stress when playing games anyway, and I have a huge amount of memory. I need something that targets the GPU, however I don't think any such thing exists.

Posted 10/26/2011 12:22 PM   
[quote name='Alexander Moore' date='26 October 2011 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1319631731' post='1314581']

[/quote]
Lol dont stress that much. BF3 can be run at ultra with a single GTX 560 at 30 FPS.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7jClAOjfs

But thats with HBAO and 4xAA. You can put no AA and No HBAo and should give you like 20 FPS more :D
[quote name='Alexander Moore' date='26 October 2011 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1319631731' post='1314581']

Lol dont stress that much. BF3 can be run at ultra with a single GTX 560 at 30 FPS.

Video - />

But thats with HBAO and 4xAA. You can put no AA and No HBAo and should give you like 20 FPS more :D

Upgraded Acer Aspire M5711

CPU: Q9550 @ 2.8 GHz PSU: OCZ StealthXStream II 600W

RAM: 6GB Corsair DDR2 @ 800 MHz Mobo: nVidia nForce 720i

Case: Stock :P GFX: Inno3d GTX 560 @ 810/1620/2004

LG Flatron M227WDP 22" Full HD Monitor

Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition

***Currently playing: Battlefield 3 ; Skyrim***

Posted 10/26/2011 01:58 PM   
No, sadly there is nothing (at least, nothing that I know of) that targets the GPU, except OC software and drivers. There's big excitement going on about Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. So it's very possible that in the near future, NVIDIA will increase the game performance for those two, with the release of new drivers /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
No, sadly there is nothing (at least, nothing that I know of) that targets the GPU, except OC software and drivers. There's big excitement going on about Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. So it's very possible that in the near future, NVIDIA will increase the game performance for those two, with the release of new drivers /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Posted 10/27/2011 10:53 AM   
Ya the games eats pc lol at 1920x1200 all on ultra and locked in at 60fps it uses 85% of my gtx 580 setup in intense fights in the single player since its abit more fancy then mp I seen 99% usage on both cards to maintain the 60fps. I am sure after another driver or two and a patch or two people on lower or single gpus and laptops well get better preformace, just like all games awhile after launch is when they run best...
Ya the games eats pc lol at 1920x1200 all on ultra and locked in at 60fps it uses 85% of my gtx 580 setup in intense fights in the single player since its abit more fancy then mp I seen 99% usage on both cards to maintain the 60fps. I am sure after another driver or two and a patch or two people on lower or single gpus and laptops well get better preformace, just like all games awhile after launch is when they run best...

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 10/27/2011 01:05 PM   
Haha, thanks for the info. I was pretty sure nothing could really be done with the GPU except drivers and OC, which I'm already all over those.

Anything else I can consider though? Any external parts or new hardware for laptops that might help? I have about $1200 in spare money I can use if I need to. If not, I'm just going to keep saving while I'm here in China so that when I go back to the states and settled down I can use that money to by myself a big powerful desktop rig from Origin :D

I did forget to mention that yes, my computer runs a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.
Haha, thanks for the info. I was pretty sure nothing could really be done with the GPU except drivers and OC, which I'm already all over those.

Anything else I can consider though? Any external parts or new hardware for laptops that might help? I have about $1200 in spare money I can use if I need to. If not, I'm just going to keep saving while I'm here in China so that when I go back to the states and settled down I can use that money to by myself a big powerful desktop rig from Origin :D

I did forget to mention that yes, my computer runs a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Posted 11/02/2011 09:14 AM   
Scroll To Top