EVGA GTX 570 Doesn't Seem to Hold
I just reacently built a new computer. It has a AMD Phenom 2, 6 core black edition processor with an EVGA doubleshot GTX 570 nvida GPU and 16 gigs of Kingston RAM. The motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 EVO with 6 gigabits a second transfer rate on it, altogether with a 1000 watt power supply. Although I find when I go to play Borderlands, through Steam mind you, it holds and FPS of 58 to 61 at about 60 GPU usage with almost everything up. However, give playing time some 20 minutes and the GPU usage starts to fluctuate madly causing the FPS to go anywhere from 60 frames to 30 frames all while on 1920x1080 res., and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Granted I am new at this. I am not quite sure if it is the graphics settings or maybe the more likely of it being Steam causing it. I currently have 3 down by .7 up of DSL, sucks but that is all we can get. I know this isn't adaquete for gaming but I don't quite see if playing single player games through steam has anything to do with the connection since it does need an internet connection to launch with. Also yes I have tried offline mode and if I can remeber it did the same thing there. So if anybody would be able to help me remedy this problem that would most grateful, and if anyone needs more specifics on my rig or the Nvidia control panel then I will gladly supply it.
I just reacently built a new computer. It has a AMD Phenom 2, 6 core black edition processor with an EVGA doubleshot GTX 570 nvida GPU and 16 gigs of Kingston RAM. The motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 EVO with 6 gigabits a second transfer rate on it, altogether with a 1000 watt power supply. Although I find when I go to play Borderlands, through Steam mind you, it holds and FPS of 58 to 61 at about 60 GPU usage with almost everything up. However, give playing time some 20 minutes and the GPU usage starts to fluctuate madly causing the FPS to go anywhere from 60 frames to 30 frames all while on 1920x1080 res., and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Granted I am new at this. I am not quite sure if it is the graphics settings or maybe the more likely of it being Steam causing it. I currently have 3 down by .7 up of DSL, sucks but that is all we can get. I know this isn't adaquete for gaming but I don't quite see if playing single player games through steam has anything to do with the connection since it does need an internet connection to launch with. Also yes I have tried offline mode and if I can remeber it did the same thing there. So if anybody would be able to help me remedy this problem that would most grateful, and if anyone needs more specifics on my rig or the Nvidia control panel then I will gladly supply it.

Posted 10/22/2011 11:53 PM   
Sounds like a background application is fubaring your performance after you're in game for a bit. If you have a secondary monitor, try hooking it up and keeping an eye on processes that're using CPU via Windows Task Manager. That might reveal your culprit.
Sounds like a background application is fubaring your performance after you're in game for a bit. If you have a secondary monitor, try hooking it up and keeping an eye on processes that're using CPU via Windows Task Manager. That might reveal your culprit.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 10/23/2011 06:50 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='22 October 2011 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1319352633' post='1312241']
[/quote]
Well I did play the game last night and when I turned everything off in the Nvidia Control Panel so that it would give me the highest performance I was able to play borderlands for a good 30 to 45 minutes with it holding 60 frames. With that known last night I was thinking now all I have to do is tune the settings and find out what it is. However now that you point out the background thing it very well could be that, and I just so happened to play borderlands when I had nothing in the background. I don't have a second monitor but I will just jack up the control panel to what it used to be and test if there is no lag.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='22 October 2011 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1319352633' post='1312241']

Well I did play the game last night and when I turned everything off in the Nvidia Control Panel so that it would give me the highest performance I was able to play borderlands for a good 30 to 45 minutes with it holding 60 frames. With that known last night I was thinking now all I have to do is tune the settings and find out what it is. However now that you point out the background thing it very well could be that, and I just so happened to play borderlands when I had nothing in the background. I don't have a second monitor but I will just jack up the control panel to what it used to be and test if there is no lag.

Posted 10/23/2011 05:35 PM   
3/.7 is perfectly fine for gaming. I play with 1/.2 and it's fine as long as im not downloading.

Did you change "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia control panel?
3/.7 is perfectly fine for gaming. I play with 1/.2 and it's fine as long as im not downloading.

Did you change "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia control panel?
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='23 October 2011 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1319391954' post='1312510']

[/quote]
Yes most definetly. I have some kind of remedial understanding of all of the settings in the Nvidia Control panel. It mostly I think identifying a game from OpenGL to Direct3D to set options accordingly. Or knowing if the game runs directx. If you know a place where I can clearly get this information then by all means tell me. For now I still havn't tested the whole no apps running in background while playing games, cause usually I have steam, EVGA precision tuner up, and/or a open internet tab open. This is possibley where the lag is coming from so I am going to test this first. But for now when I ran the game last night on max performance it didn't start lagging. Either to no apps in background or a specific setting(s) being off.
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='23 October 2011 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1319391954' post='1312510']

Yes most definetly. I have some kind of remedial understanding of all of the settings in the Nvidia Control panel. It mostly I think identifying a game from OpenGL to Direct3D to set options accordingly. Or knowing if the game runs directx. If you know a place where I can clearly get this information then by all means tell me. For now I still havn't tested the whole no apps running in background while playing games, cause usually I have steam, EVGA precision tuner up, and/or a open internet tab open. This is possibley where the lag is coming from so I am going to test this first. But for now when I ran the game last night on max performance it didn't start lagging. Either to no apps in background or a specific setting(s) being off.

Posted 10/23/2011 10:38 PM   
Well after much tinkering with the nvidia control panel and the borderlands in game setting for about 2 or 3 hours I mangaed to get no where. Also running nothing in the background didn't seem to manage the issue. Before I go further I want to state that when I played Fallout New Vegas another Steam game I downloaded, it does not do what borderlands is. I have almost all the way up with V-sync on and it manages to keep a steady 60 frames. So in this case I am forced to think there is probably just something wrong with borderlands itself. When going to optimal play settings on geforce.com it says I should be able to pull 75ish frames with all the in game settings on, and the computer they were using isn't as powerful as mine. Yet even when I pulled smooth FPS I pulled 63 frames tops without v-sync on, and that was with not everything being on. Therefore I think something in the game is holding my GPU back or something. Or possiblely there is some super precise settings in the Nvidia control panel that would make it run correctly but I unfortunately doubt this is the case. Maybe its the newest certified drivers causing it to glitch. However, away from speculation I think I am going to just put the game on the back burner for now, or maybe take my PC to my guy and see if he can do something. The fact is that unless somebody has something juicy I give up, which sucks cause borderlands is really quite an enjoyable game to be honest. Maybe not much of a story but I love the gameplay.
Well after much tinkering with the nvidia control panel and the borderlands in game setting for about 2 or 3 hours I mangaed to get no where. Also running nothing in the background didn't seem to manage the issue. Before I go further I want to state that when I played Fallout New Vegas another Steam game I downloaded, it does not do what borderlands is. I have almost all the way up with V-sync on and it manages to keep a steady 60 frames. So in this case I am forced to think there is probably just something wrong with borderlands itself. When going to optimal play settings on geforce.com it says I should be able to pull 75ish frames with all the in game settings on, and the computer they were using isn't as powerful as mine. Yet even when I pulled smooth FPS I pulled 63 frames tops without v-sync on, and that was with not everything being on. Therefore I think something in the game is holding my GPU back or something. Or possiblely there is some super precise settings in the Nvidia control panel that would make it run correctly but I unfortunately doubt this is the case. Maybe its the newest certified drivers causing it to glitch. However, away from speculation I think I am going to just put the game on the back burner for now, or maybe take my PC to my guy and see if he can do something. The fact is that unless somebody has something juicy I give up, which sucks cause borderlands is really quite an enjoyable game to be honest. Maybe not much of a story but I love the gameplay.

Posted 10/24/2011 05:49 AM   
Scroll To Top