Blackout Crashes with GeForce 9800M GTS
  1 / 2    
I've been having alot of trouble playing games on my laptop lately. When I start playing something that requires high end graphics such as Dawn of War 2, World of Warcraft or Starcraft 2, eventually my computer screen will go completely black and seemingly crash. There's no blue screen, no error, it just goes black. Whatever music or sound from the game that was being played sounds like its stuck, it loops whatever was playing for the last half second, sometimes continuing to play the audio for a few more seconds before being stuck permanently. How long it might take for this to happen seems to vary, it could be in a couple hours or days, it could happen 5 minutes after I turn on the computer and start playing. I'm running a GeForce 9800M GTS on a Windows 7 laptop from Gateway, though I got it from a refurbishment factory 2 years ago and this only started about a month ago. Truthfully the only reason I think this is a graphics card problem is because it ONLY happens while I'm playing said games. I've tried a system restore, I've checked the fans meticulously for dust, the GPU temperature ranges between 48-60C and while down tuning the graphics seems to prolong the crash, but only maybe 10 or so minutes. The only other option I can think of is reinstalling Windows but because of everything I've got on here I don't want to do that unless I've got nothing else to try. If there's anything else you need me to post I might have forgotten I'll gladly get it for you. Thanks in advance.
I've been having alot of trouble playing games on my laptop lately. When I start playing something that requires high end graphics such as Dawn of War 2, World of Warcraft or Starcraft 2, eventually my computer screen will go completely black and seemingly crash. There's no blue screen, no error, it just goes black. Whatever music or sound from the game that was being played sounds like its stuck, it loops whatever was playing for the last half second, sometimes continuing to play the audio for a few more seconds before being stuck permanently. How long it might take for this to happen seems to vary, it could be in a couple hours or days, it could happen 5 minutes after I turn on the computer and start playing. I'm running a GeForce 9800M GTS on a Windows 7 laptop from Gateway, though I got it from a refurbishment factory 2 years ago and this only started about a month ago. Truthfully the only reason I think this is a graphics card problem is because it ONLY happens while I'm playing said games. I've tried a system restore, I've checked the fans meticulously for dust, the GPU temperature ranges between 48-60C and while down tuning the graphics seems to prolong the crash, but only maybe 10 or so minutes. The only other option I can think of is reinstalling Windows but because of everything I've got on here I don't want to do that unless I've got nothing else to try. If there's anything else you need me to post I might have forgotten I'll gladly get it for you. Thanks in advance.

Posted 10/22/2011 09:49 PM   
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='22 October 2011 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1319320184' post='1312049']
[/quote]

I have the same gpu model and it used to happen often. I figured out after a driver update that, whenever frequencies were switching for power saving, small glitches would happen and eventually crash ( although the OS would run normally). To fix that I set a couple of registry D words to fix performance leves to minimum while on batterie and maximum on AC.

It took me some time to notice because it was only during the performance level switches. Set to maximum performance and check games again. If you don't see any glitches, then it's very likely you're having the same issue as mine. In which case, you can tweak your registry or downgrade you nvidia drivers.
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='22 October 2011 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1319320184' post='1312049']

I have the same gpu model and it used to happen often. I figured out after a driver update that, whenever frequencies were switching for power saving, small glitches would happen and eventually crash ( although the OS would run normally). To fix that I set a couple of registry D words to fix performance leves to minimum while on batterie and maximum on AC.

It took me some time to notice because it was only during the performance level switches. Set to maximum performance and check games again. If you don't see any glitches, then it's very likely you're having the same issue as mine. In which case, you can tweak your registry or downgrade you nvidia drivers.

Posted 10/24/2011 05:40 AM   
[quote name='gmnakamura' date='24 October 2011 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1319434853' post='1312809']

[/quote]
Makes sense, but I actually dont know how to set the registry to maximum on AC like you suggested. Can you explain to me how, or point me to a website that can explain it?
[quote name='gmnakamura' date='24 October 2011 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1319434853' post='1312809']

Makes sense, but I actually dont know how to set the registry to maximum on AC like you suggested. Can you explain to me how, or point me to a website that can explain it?

Posted 10/25/2011 06:13 PM   
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='25 October 2011 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1319566432' post='1313932']
[/quote]

I don't remember the nvidia configuration tool on windows ( been a long time ) but should be under Painel Control/3D settings. Find PowerMizer tab and set to maximum (or minimum) performance. For registry D word I've used "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1" (band-aid solution, still looking for a decent one)
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='25 October 2011 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1319566432' post='1313932']

I don't remember the nvidia configuration tool on windows ( been a long time ) but should be under Painel Control/3D settings. Find PowerMizer tab and set to maximum (or minimum) performance. For registry D word I've used "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1" (band-aid solution, still looking for a decent one)

Posted 10/25/2011 08:18 PM   
[quote name='gmnakamura' date='25 October 2011 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1319573929' post='1314046']
[/quote]
Sorry again for being quite noobish but I cant figure out the registryDwords thing. Looking online all I can find are where and how to do it on linux, not windows. Can you please elaborate?
[quote name='gmnakamura' date='25 October 2011 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1319573929' post='1314046']

Sorry again for being quite noobish but I cant figure out the registryDwords thing. Looking online all I can find are where and how to do it on linux, not windows. Can you please elaborate?

Posted 10/27/2011 09:30 PM   
Reinstalling windows won't fix the problem, trust me, I've been having the same problems for months now and nobody has been able to help me at all. Tried initially upgrading from Vista to 7, when that didn't work I tried installing windows 7 again, which didn't work. I then downgraded to vista (my original setting) and that didn't fix anything either. I'm at a loss, I've tried things like Rivatuner and powermizer and nothing works.

The only thing that i found that ACTUALLY WORKS, AND PREVENTS MY LAPTOP FROM CRASHING (but causes the program to crash) was to downgrade pretty far back to an earlier form of my video card, version 176.15 ... Somewhere between there and the newest version, something got hella screwed up. Not one person at nvidia or blizzard has been able to help me.
Reinstalling windows won't fix the problem, trust me, I've been having the same problems for months now and nobody has been able to help me at all. Tried initially upgrading from Vista to 7, when that didn't work I tried installing windows 7 again, which didn't work. I then downgraded to vista (my original setting) and that didn't fix anything either. I'm at a loss, I've tried things like Rivatuner and powermizer and nothing works.

The only thing that i found that ACTUALLY WORKS, AND PREVENTS MY LAPTOP FROM CRASHING (but causes the program to crash) was to downgrade pretty far back to an earlier form of my video card, version 176.15 ... Somewhere between there and the newest version, something got hella screwed up. Not one person at nvidia or blizzard has been able to help me.

Posted 11/09/2011 07:31 AM   
If is it the same problem, it's a driver problem, not at OS-level nor blizzard games. Older drivers 175-195 and such all used to work flawlessly for me, and as I've had stated before used to have only 3 instead of 4 powerlevels. the problem only appear when switching from different power levels as while starting or leaving a game ( but quite ok if you manage to get into it, since it's unlikely to switch levels during gameplay)

@Xaldyn: sorry for delay, but there's no need to change registry for tests. The point to was only to set maximum or minimum performance in control painel to check if is the same bug.
If is it the same problem, it's a driver problem, not at OS-level nor blizzard games. Older drivers 175-195 and such all used to work flawlessly for me, and as I've had stated before used to have only 3 instead of 4 powerlevels. the problem only appear when switching from different power levels as while starting or leaving a game ( but quite ok if you manage to get into it, since it's unlikely to switch levels during gameplay)

@Xaldyn: sorry for delay, but there's no need to change registry for tests. The point to was only to set maximum or minimum performance in control painel to check if is the same bug.

Posted 11/11/2011 04:38 PM   
I've managed to isolate and fixed the problem... was way more simple than what i was doing. Things like Powermizer didn't help at all.

First thing i did was I went to device manager -> selected my video card -> right click -> and then uninstalled it.

Next step (i don't remember if i restarted my computer here, i assume i did), i went to my Manufacturers website, which in my case was gateway, and installed the driver for my video card from there (http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2388 this is the link for the laptop i'm using, if this isn't your model i highly suggest that YOU DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT UNLESS IT IS FOR YOUR MODEL LAPTOP/COMPUTER)

through many phone calls and live chats i was able to find out that i needed a modified driver download for my video card. After i installed the one from the gateway website (i don't know if i restarted here), i went back to device manager -> display adapters -> GeForce 9800M GTS -> Left click to bring up properties -> driver -> update driver.

Do not do not do not do not do not update directly from the nvidia site, let your computer do the work finding the correct modified driver for your card. Oh and just a side note, [u][b]never run games in administrator, as this can be the cause of the crashes[/b][/u]

I was a bit skeptical about this actually fixing this (i've been going about 3 months with this problem, and i'm an active wow player), but it is working like it should now. No more framerate spikes, and no more black screen computer crashes.
I've managed to isolate and fixed the problem... was way more simple than what i was doing. Things like Powermizer didn't help at all.

First thing i did was I went to device manager -> selected my video card -> right click -> and then uninstalled it.

Next step (i don't remember if i restarted my computer here, i assume i did), i went to my Manufacturers website, which in my case was gateway, and installed the driver for my video card from there (http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2388 this is the link for the laptop i'm using, if this isn't your model i highly suggest that YOU DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT UNLESS IT IS FOR YOUR MODEL LAPTOP/COMPUTER)

through many phone calls and live chats i was able to find out that i needed a modified driver download for my video card. After i installed the one from the gateway website (i don't know if i restarted here), i went back to device manager -> display adapters -> GeForce 9800M GTS -> Left click to bring up properties -> driver -> update driver.

Do not do not do not do not do not update directly from the nvidia site, let your computer do the work finding the correct modified driver for your card. Oh and just a side note, never run games in administrator, as this can be the cause of the crashes

I was a bit skeptical about this actually fixing this (i've been going about 3 months with this problem, and i'm an active wow player), but it is working like it should now. No more framerate spikes, and no more black screen computer crashes.

Posted 11/12/2011 07:15 AM   
[quote name='Neoflame' date='12 November 2011 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1321082139' post='1324944']

Do not do not do not do not do not update directly from the nvidia site, let your computer do the work finding the correct modified driver for your card. Oh and just a side note, [u][b]never run games in administrator, as this can be the cause of the crashes[/b][/u]

[/quote]
then bro want to ask if we go by using our cpu update then can we play the latest game?? cause all new game need the latest dirver if im not wrong.... please help.....
[quote name='Neoflame' date='12 November 2011 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1321082139' post='1324944']

Do not do not do not do not do not update directly from the nvidia site, let your computer do the work finding the correct modified driver for your card. Oh and just a side note, never run games in administrator, as this can be the cause of the crashes

then bro want to ask if we go by using our cpu update then can we play the latest game?? cause all new game need the latest dirver if im not wrong.... please help.....

Posted 11/12/2011 01:49 PM   
So Neo, I did the same steps you did. But when I went to update my driver through the device manager. It said I had the most current drivers. Which windows is lying obviously. Is there a way to get that modified driver else where?
So Neo, I did the same steps you did. But when I went to update my driver through the device manager. It said I had the most current drivers. Which windows is lying obviously. Is there a way to get that modified driver else where?

Posted 11/12/2011 09:00 PM   
ok, I know what my laptop is, model number/type, and I cannot find anything remotely close to a driver to use, nor can I find the model on the Gateway site. I dont know if theres something I'm missing or what but its starting to really piss me off. I really hate putting the search off but Ive been looking for over an hour and Im getting really damned frusterated. If anyone knows or has any clue PLEASE tell me. This is what I've been looking for
Type:Gateway: p-7805u FX
Model Number: ms 2252
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS
ok, I know what my laptop is, model number/type, and I cannot find anything remotely close to a driver to use, nor can I find the model on the Gateway site. I dont know if theres something I'm missing or what but its starting to really piss me off. I really hate putting the search off but Ive been looking for over an hour and Im getting really damned frusterated. If anyone knows or has any clue PLEASE tell me. This is what I've been looking for

Posted 11/13/2011 08:17 AM   
Gateway.com - Your country - Support - Drivers & Downloads - Notebook - P Series - P-78.

Would that be your laptop?
Gateway.com - Your country - Support - Drivers & Downloads - Notebook - P Series - P-78.

Would that be your laptop?

Posted 11/13/2011 11:02 AM   
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='13 November 2011 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1321172265' post='1325516']
[/quote]

I have the same laptop as you and have been having the same problem.I believe the model number you need on the site is p-78.
I tried the above fix as well, but when i got to the last step it said my drivers were already updated, but I'm still crashing.
So either the driver on the website doesn't work either, or that's not the model number we need.
Either way this problem is really frustrating and makes it nearly impossible to play anything some of the time.
[quote name='Xaldyn' date='13 November 2011 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1321172265' post='1325516']

I have the same laptop as you and have been having the same problem.I believe the model number you need on the site is p-78.

I tried the above fix as well, but when i got to the last step it said my drivers were already updated, but I'm still crashing.

So either the driver on the website doesn't work either, or that's not the model number we need.

Either way this problem is really frustrating and makes it nearly impossible to play anything some of the time.

Posted 11/13/2011 01:47 PM   
Just wanted to say, I did the what neo said and like magny, I windows says its got the most current driver and I'm still having blackouts
Just wanted to say, I did the what neo said and like magny, I windows says its got the most current driver and I'm still having blackouts

Posted 11/14/2011 12:13 AM   
Yeah, my system just started crashing again too. Disregard what i just said. Still trying to fix same problem with the same laptop as you guys. One tech support suggested resetting my video card, which requires me to crack open the case like an egg and get to it...... no thanks, i know that's not the problem. At this point i have no Idea what will fix it, obviously overclocking doesn't work. Someone suggested Omegadrivers to me... i might go check them out.
Yeah, my system just started crashing again too. Disregard what i just said. Still trying to fix same problem with the same laptop as you guys. One tech support suggested resetting my video card, which requires me to crack open the case like an egg and get to it...... no thanks, i know that's not the problem. At this point i have no Idea what will fix it, obviously overclocking doesn't work. Someone suggested Omegadrivers to me... i might go check them out.

Posted 11/14/2011 09:34 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top