Rage Graphics Issues 2-Way SLI w/ GTX 570
  1 / 2    
I'm hoping someone can help confirm what I'm seeing or at least provide a bit of guidance.

Here's what I'm running:

Graphics: 2-Way SLI w/ GTX 570's (Driver Ver. 280.26)
CPU: i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
RAM: 16 GB

The recommended system parameters for Rage are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, Radeon HD 5550

Unless I'm missing something, I should be well above what even the recommended settings are. However, when in game if I pan left or right the screen blurs for a second or two then fills in with detailed graphics. I don't think I have ever seen this behavior before in a game and I'm wondering if I just don't have something configured correctly...? There really isn't much "configuration" w/in the game itself so I'm guessing it is something that I need to do/undo in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but frankly I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MordenK
I'm hoping someone can help confirm what I'm seeing or at least provide a bit of guidance.

Here's what I'm running:

Graphics: 2-Way SLI w/ GTX 570's (Driver Ver. 280.26)

CPU: i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

The recommended system parameters for Rage are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD

Memory: 4GB

Hard Disk Space: 25GB

Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, Radeon HD 5550

Unless I'm missing something, I should be well above what even the recommended settings are. However, when in game if I pan left or right the screen blurs for a second or two then fills in with detailed graphics. I don't think I have ever seen this behavior before in a game and I'm wondering if I just don't have something configured correctly...? There really isn't much "configuration" w/in the game itself so I'm guessing it is something that I need to do/undo in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but frankly I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MordenK

Posted 10/04/2011 05:06 AM   
I am having the same issues as MordenK mentioned.
Graphics: Two GTX 460 in SLI (Beta 285.27)
CPU: i7 870 @ 2.93
Ram: 8GB
HD Space: 750GBs free

When I updated drivers from 280.26 to the Beta 285.27 I saw marked improvement in the games response and how quickly the textures filled out. However, the textures still seem to load slower at the edges, and are blurred for a minimal time. Anyone figure this out?
I am having the same issues as MordenK mentioned.

Graphics: Two GTX 460 in SLI (Beta 285.27)

CPU: i7 870 @ 2.93

Ram: 8GB

HD Space: 750GBs free

When I updated drivers from 280.26 to the Beta 285.27 I saw marked improvement in the games response and how quickly the textures filled out. However, the textures still seem to load slower at the edges, and are blurred for a minimal time. Anyone figure this out?

Posted 10/04/2011 06:58 AM   
The game is brand new. It probably doesn't have a proper SLI profile or is badly optimized at this time...
Update:

I spoke with Bethesda this morning and they weren't able to really assist in resolving this issue. However, in playing around with some of the settings while I was on hold, I found that in setting Vertical Synch to Force On, it did make a difference. However, it did not fix the problem.

I'm going to try calling NVIDIA today and see if I can get any guidance from them. If we collectively come up with a solution I will post it.

MordenK
Update:

I spoke with Bethesda this morning and they weren't able to really assist in resolving this issue. However, in playing around with some of the settings while I was on hold, I found that in setting Vertical Synch to Force On, it did make a difference. However, it did not fix the problem.

I'm going to try calling NVIDIA today and see if I can get any guidance from them. If we collectively come up with a solution I will post it.

MordenK

Posted 10/04/2011 02:35 PM   
[quote name='MordenK' date='04 October 2011 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1317738958' post='1303116']
Update:

MordenK
[/quote]

[i]NVIDIA will be unable to directly lend support to id's title(with exception of driver update "hex" addition). The issue lies with the drawing of surface textures due to the technical capacities of your system under the "mega texture" technology. Normally, objects within the game world have independent textures/shaders. RAGE(idTech5) relies on caching one large canvas over the environmental areas; this currently is creating issues for many users, and it should be polished via driver update, and game patching. I have played only an hour of the title so far, and was very much looking forward to the new engine...unfortunately, I am not pleased with Carmack's latest addition. I truly expected more...[/i]

[i]Give the game time, and hopefully the issues, that no one was expecting will be worked out. Personally, my largest issue is with the weapon mechanics...they are far too much like "Doom 3." id seems to have an attachment to changing things while keeping them the same.

There are parts that are impressive in scale, but not technically superior in comparison to previous/future AAA titles. Not what I expected to say in the same breath as id's mention.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='MordenK' date='04 October 2011 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1317738958' post='1303116']

Update:

MordenK

NVIDIA will be unable to directly lend support to id's title(with exception of driver update "hex" addition). The issue lies with the drawing of surface textures due to the technical capacities of your system under the "mega texture" technology. Normally, objects within the game world have independent textures/shaders. RAGE(idTech5) relies on caching one large canvas over the environmental areas; this currently is creating issues for many users, and it should be polished via driver update, and game patching. I have played only an hour of the title so far, and was very much looking forward to the new engine...unfortunately, I am not pleased with Carmack's latest addition. I truly expected more...

Give the game time, and hopefully the issues, that no one was expecting will be worked out. Personally, my largest issue is with the weapon mechanics...they are far too much like "Doom 3." id seems to have an attachment to changing things while keeping them the same.

There are parts that are impressive in scale, but not technically superior in comparison to previous/future AAA titles. Not what I expected to say in the same breath as id's mention.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 10/04/2011 03:23 PM   
I downloaded Rage from Steam last night and it works perfect.
I am still running driver 275.33 though as it has giving me 0 problems
and perfect performance.
also with MSI Afterburner running on my screen during gameplay
shows both my GPU's are being used in Rage and the percentage
is the same even though it is only using 60% of each gpu
when Crysis2 uses 92% of each gpu
I downloaded Rage from Steam last night and it works perfect.

I am still running driver 275.33 though as it has giving me 0 problems

and perfect performance.

also with MSI Afterburner running on my screen during gameplay

shows both my GPU's are being used in Rage and the percentage

is the same even though it is only using 60% of each gpu

when Crysis2 uses 92% of each gpu

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 10/04/2011 04:21 PM   
I got the horrible texture pops with SLI enabled. Disabled that, tweaked the NVCPL and got things working pretty well.

Then Nvidia sent out an SLI profile patch. SLI appears to work (both cards are eq in usage), HOWEVER the texture pop is just as bad as the first place, maybe even worse since SLI gives more frames.

With that said, I'm not quite sure if a driver fix (or nvidia) can resolve this problem. We might need a patch from id.

Very disappointing as of now... the game looks incredible when optimal, but it seems that Carmack has given us a ferrari with flat tires.

I would have to think id didn't do this intentionally with tech 5, but boy did they betray their fans with the PC afterthought.

and the graphics options... just standard AA and some other option nobody has heard of? Oh, res and brightness... can't forget those.

I am enjoying this game though, but it's a shame the game and my PC are laughing at each other.

I saw this running on 360 at Gamestop last night... I was considering just biting the bullet because it looked so much smoother, but no way.
I got the horrible texture pops with SLI enabled. Disabled that, tweaked the NVCPL and got things working pretty well.

Then Nvidia sent out an SLI profile patch. SLI appears to work (both cards are eq in usage), HOWEVER the texture pop is just as bad as the first place, maybe even worse since SLI gives more frames.

With that said, I'm not quite sure if a driver fix (or nvidia) can resolve this problem. We might need a patch from id.

Very disappointing as of now... the game looks incredible when optimal, but it seems that Carmack has given us a ferrari with flat tires.

I would have to think id didn't do this intentionally with tech 5, but boy did they betray their fans with the PC afterthought.

and the graphics options... just standard AA and some other option nobody has heard of? Oh, res and brightness... can't forget those.

I am enjoying this game though, but it's a shame the game and my PC are laughing at each other.

I saw this running on 360 at Gamestop last night... I was considering just biting the bullet because it looked so much smoother, but no way.

Posted 10/04/2011 08:44 PM   
Is this the problem???

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=212111
Is this the problem???

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=212111

Posted 10/07/2011 12:13 PM   
I think I have nailed it, guys:

Download Nvidia Inspector(if you have SLI you should be using it anyway...)
Find the profile for Rage, scroll down to "other", in that section is an option called "iGPU transcoding", so set shim_igpu_transcode to enable(it isn't by default!)

This will solve any slow texture issues and the game works perfectly in SLI with the patch. I have 2x gtx 460 cyclones with an i5 and I can crank the antialiasing all the way up now, 60FPS smooth!

I was scratching my head over this for ages, but loving the game now. Hope this helps y'all!!
I think I have nailed it, guys:

Download Nvidia Inspector(if you have SLI you should be using it anyway...)

Find the profile for Rage, scroll down to "other", in that section is an option called "iGPU transcoding", so set shim_igpu_transcode to enable(it isn't by default!)

This will solve any slow texture issues and the game works perfectly in SLI with the patch. I have 2x gtx 460 cyclones with an i5 and I can crank the antialiasing all the way up now, 60FPS smooth!

I was scratching my head over this for ages, but loving the game now. Hope this helps y'all!!

Posted 02/21/2012 01:04 PM   
This transfers some of the work from the CPU to the GPU and can work if your GPU(s) are powerful enough.

You can do this (and other tweaks) without using Inspector. Have a read of some of this to get some ideas:

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Also, try using version 285.62 of the drivers, which purport to contain enhancements for Rage.

The game ran great on my system with everything forced as high as it would go. I enjoyed it.
This transfers some of the work from the CPU to the GPU and can work if your GPU(s) are powerful enough.

You can do this (and other tweaks) without using Inspector. Have a read of some of this to get some ideas:

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Also, try using version 285.62 of the drivers, which purport to contain enhancements for Rage.

The game ran great on my system with everything forced as high as it would go. I enjoyed it.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/21/2012 01:58 PM   
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='04 October 2011 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1317712526' post='1302982']
The game is brand new. It probably doesn't have a proper SLI profile or is badly optimized at this time...
[/quote]

Brand new? It's been out almost 5 months. It works pretty well in SLI but the default game engine settings do produce some annoying texture popping. Playing with the config file may help sort it out, though.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='04 October 2011 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1317712526' post='1302982']

Brand new? It's been out almost 5 months. It works pretty well in SLI but the default game engine settings do produce some annoying texture popping. Playing with the config file may help sort it out, though.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/21/2012 02:05 PM   
My system:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
MSI 880GM-E43
Athlon II X2 255
PNY GTX 460 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition

I installed the latest drivers: 295.73 and the game stops every 5 seconds because the CPU is 100% while the GPU is nowhere near exhausted. From what I read on the Internet, this is a driver issue. There are beta drivers that address RAGE problems, but that is way back to 285.38. I can't believe that the driver I'm using wouldn't have the RAGE updates, but is that the case??? Has the beta on RAGE driver update completed and is it in the newer drivers, or should I install the beta driver?

Basically my question is this - as of now, what driver should we be using to play RAGE with.

Honestly, this should be EXTREMELY clear, spelled out where anyone can find it without having to resort to posing in the forum. The game has been out for several months I find it ridiculous that I have to post to find this answer.

Having said that, your assistance and information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
My system:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

MSI 880GM-E43

Athlon II X2 255

PNY GTX 460 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition

I installed the latest drivers: 295.73 and the game stops every 5 seconds because the CPU is 100% while the GPU is nowhere near exhausted. From what I read on the Internet, this is a driver issue. There are beta drivers that address RAGE problems, but that is way back to 285.38. I can't believe that the driver I'm using wouldn't have the RAGE updates, but is that the case??? Has the beta on RAGE driver update completed and is it in the newer drivers, or should I install the beta driver?

Basically my question is this - as of now, what driver should we be using to play RAGE with.

Honestly, this should be EXTREMELY clear, spelled out where anyone can find it without having to resort to posing in the forum. The game has been out for several months I find it ridiculous that I have to post to find this answer.

Having said that, your assistance and information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Posted 03/05/2012 08:58 AM   
As I said, the recommended driver for Rage is 285.62, which is not a Beta and is actually only the last WHQL driver before the current one. All the others in between were betas.

I agree that the latest driver should also contain any fixes previous versions did. However, the word used by nVidia in this case is 'enhancements' not 'fixes', so who knows?

Some people have had problems with 295.73, though they are working fine for me. I would try 285.62

After uninstalling 295.73, clean up with DriverSweeper before installing 285.62

If it then works, you might want to try reinstalling 295.73 and see if that works, too.
As I said, the recommended driver for Rage is 285.62, which is not a Beta and is actually only the last WHQL driver before the current one. All the others in between were betas.

I agree that the latest driver should also contain any fixes previous versions did. However, the word used by nVidia in this case is 'enhancements' not 'fixes', so who knows?

Some people have had problems with 295.73, though they are working fine for me. I would try 285.62

If it then works, you might want to try reinstalling 295.73 and see if that works, too.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 03/05/2012 03:31 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' date='05 March 2012 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1330961468' post='1378882']

[/quote]
First, let me apologize, my post should not have been in SLI - I was extremely tired and clearly not all together.

Thanks for the info on which driver though, its starting place :)

My complaint is more that there needs to be a centrally located place for this info - not buried in a thread somewhere, aging with each passing day. Who knows what is still current in a thread? This should be in FAQ or in the first post of sticky thread that's clearly being updated regularly. Instead we have to dig through a sea of complaints and attempts, reattempts, solutions and yet newer solutions

Now I don't know if I should re-post to the proper place or not... Why is nVidia and Bethesda being so absent about this? Dropping a few config hints and explanations doesn't make it any easier. I'm not rendering guru, I don't understand all that I need to if I want to create a config that will do what I need. It seems to me that this is a case of not even passing the buck but just plain dropping it. Leave it for us to sift through countless forum threads where the discussion meanders from card to card, varying system, and people who swear they know it all when they don't; and some who actually do, but have grown tired of trying to help. This is ridiculous.
[quote name='Discordia' date='05 March 2012 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1330961468' post='1378882']

First, let me apologize, my post should not have been in SLI - I was extremely tired and clearly not all together.

Thanks for the info on which driver though, its starting place :)

My complaint is more that there needs to be a centrally located place for this info - not buried in a thread somewhere, aging with each passing day. Who knows what is still current in a thread? This should be in FAQ or in the first post of sticky thread that's clearly being updated regularly. Instead we have to dig through a sea of complaints and attempts, reattempts, solutions and yet newer solutions

Now I don't know if I should re-post to the proper place or not... Why is nVidia and Bethesda being so absent about this? Dropping a few config hints and explanations doesn't make it any easier. I'm not rendering guru, I don't understand all that I need to if I want to create a config that will do what I need. It seems to me that this is a case of not even passing the buck but just plain dropping it. Leave it for us to sift through countless forum threads where the discussion meanders from card to card, varying system, and people who swear they know it all when they don't; and some who actually do, but have grown tired of trying to help. This is ridiculous.

Posted 03/06/2012 01:45 AM   
Rage is working great for me with 295.73. but it has worked great for me with other drivers also.
Rage is working great for me with 295.73. but it has worked great for me with other drivers also.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 03/06/2012 02:26 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top