RGB or YCBCR
I've seen this question on a lot of forums, and still don't fully understand the difference or which is best. Looking for some assistance on this. I'm using a GTX570 on a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV. Most information I find seems to mention that RGB is best, and that blacks are washed out for YCBCR. Personally, I get much deeper blacks and brighter whites when I use YCBCR.

I was perfectly happy using YCBCR, but the other day was playing a game that was a few years old, an Episode from Season 1 of the Sam and Max adventure series. I had no issues even with these games, until I encountered thin blue text on a black background. It was difficult to read and the thinner parts of letters were hard to see. For example a lowercase r only had the top part very visible. I switched to RGB and this text became much more clear, moreso than I could get by adjusting settings on the TV using YCBCR. However, when playing newer games such as Bad Company 2, Portal 2, or Mafia 2, things look a little washed out when using RGB. Blacks are grey, and if a calibration screen is offered (make the thing on the left barely visible, the next one brighter, etc), everything stands out too much when using RGB. These calibration screens look correct when using YCBCR.

I'm just wondering, is one going to give me a more accurate picture on my display than the other? Should I use YCBCR, or is it just a matter of playing with the settings enough when using RGB? I don't have any extra filters etc turned on for my TV (no edge enhancement etc), I have it in Standard rather than PC mode as most adjustments are disabled in PC mode. It currently shares the input with my Xbox360 through and HDMI switch, and both typically look equally right with my TV's current settings. I can move the XBOX360 to a different input with seperate settings if needed. As I said, I've been very happy with the YCBCR output until I encountered the difficult to read text. Any advice/clarification would be appreciated.
I've seen this question on a lot of forums, and still don't fully understand the difference or which is best. Looking for some assistance on this. I'm using a GTX570 on a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV. Most information I find seems to mention that RGB is best, and that blacks are washed out for YCBCR. Personally, I get much deeper blacks and brighter whites when I use YCBCR.

I was perfectly happy using YCBCR, but the other day was playing a game that was a few years old, an Episode from Season 1 of the Sam and Max adventure series. I had no issues even with these games, until I encountered thin blue text on a black background. It was difficult to read and the thinner parts of letters were hard to see. For example a lowercase r only had the top part very visible. I switched to RGB and this text became much more clear, moreso than I could get by adjusting settings on the TV using YCBCR. However, when playing newer games such as Bad Company 2, Portal 2, or Mafia 2, things look a little washed out when using RGB. Blacks are grey, and if a calibration screen is offered (make the thing on the left barely visible, the next one brighter, etc), everything stands out too much when using RGB. These calibration screens look correct when using YCBCR.

I'm just wondering, is one going to give me a more accurate picture on my display than the other? Should I use YCBCR, or is it just a matter of playing with the settings enough when using RGB? I don't have any extra filters etc turned on for my TV (no edge enhancement etc), I have it in Standard rather than PC mode as most adjustments are disabled in PC mode. It currently shares the input with my Xbox360 through and HDMI switch, and both typically look equally right with my TV's current settings. I can move the XBOX360 to a different input with seperate settings if needed. As I said, I've been very happy with the YCBCR output until I encountered the difficult to read text. Any advice/clarification would be appreciated.

Posted 09/28/2011 05:05 PM   
Scroll To Top