Triple Monitor / HDMI Audio? GTX 580's 3GB (SLI)
Hi all I am new to the NVIDIA forums. I'll cut straight to the chase. I have a triple monitor / HDMI Audio question that I'm hoping a fellow enthusiast can shed some light on.
My current setup is as follows: CPU: Intel i7 950, MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, RAM: 6GB Triple Channel, Primary Storage: 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 (RAID-5), LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-4i, Secondary Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black, Display Adapters: 2 x GTX 580's 3GB (SLI), PSU: 1000 WATT Antec Truepower quattro.
I am currently using a DVI-D cable which is connected to 1 of the DVI-D ports on my top GTX 580 to my NEC 30' Monitor for Video. For the Audio I am using a HDMI mini to regular HDMI 1.3 dongle that is connected to the mini HDMI out of the top GTX 580. The dongle is then connected to a HDMI 1.3 cable which is connected to my receiver, providing HDMI audio. That is all working fine.

I have ordered 3 x ASUS (VG236H) 23' 3D LCD Monitor's & a Proluma triple monitor stand, which will replace my current NEC monitor. So hear is where my question comes in. From what I understand my triple monitor setup will require the use of 3 of the 4 (in total) DVI-D out sockets that are located on my 2 GTX 580's. [u]Once these connections are made and the monitor setup is configured will I still be able to pass HDMI audio via 1 of my GTX 580 cards that are in SLI[/u]???

From what I understand about HDMI audio, audio cannot be sent alone down a HDMI cable it must be accompanied by an equal sized video signal. My backup if I am not able to send HDMI audio via the GTX 580's (while they are in NIVDIA SURROUND config) is I could utilise one of the optical digital audio outs located on either my motherboard or sound card, I would prefer to avoid this if possible.
Hi all I am new to the NVIDIA forums. I'll cut straight to the chase. I have a triple monitor / HDMI Audio question that I'm hoping a fellow enthusiast can shed some light on.

My current setup is as follows: CPU: Intel i7 950, MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, RAM: 6GB Triple Channel, Primary Storage: 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 (RAID-5), LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-4i, Secondary Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black, Display Adapters: 2 x GTX 580's 3GB (SLI), PSU: 1000 WATT Antec Truepower quattro.

I am currently using a DVI-D cable which is connected to 1 of the DVI-D ports on my top GTX 580 to my NEC 30' Monitor for Video. For the Audio I am using a HDMI mini to regular HDMI 1.3 dongle that is connected to the mini HDMI out of the top GTX 580. The dongle is then connected to a HDMI 1.3 cable which is connected to my receiver, providing HDMI audio. That is all working fine.

I have ordered 3 x ASUS (VG236H) 23' 3D LCD Monitor's & a Proluma triple monitor stand, which will replace my current NEC monitor. So hear is where my question comes in. From what I understand my triple monitor setup will require the use of 3 of the 4 (in total) DVI-D out sockets that are located on my 2 GTX 580's. Once these connections are made and the monitor setup is configured will I still be able to pass HDMI audio via 1 of my GTX 580 cards that are in SLI???

From what I understand about HDMI audio, audio cannot be sent alone down a HDMI cable it must be accompanied by an equal sized video signal. My backup if I am not able to send HDMI audio via the GTX 580's (while they are in NIVDIA SURROUND config) is I could utilise one of the optical digital audio outs located on either my motherboard or sound card, I would prefer to avoid this if possible.

Posted 09/20/2011 11:42 PM   
You're gonna just have to try; I don't think anyone can answer that definitively. It sounds like it should work.
You're gonna just have to try; I don't think anyone can answer that definitively. It sounds like it should work.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 09/21/2011 12:00 AM   
[quote name='BobbyNow' date='21 September 2011 - 11:00 AM' timestamp='1316563244' post='1296135']
[/quote]

I was thinking that might be the case. Thanks for the quick post. I'm expecting to receive the monitors & stand either this Friday or the beginning of next week. Once configured I'll post an update with how it all goes, whether I'm successful in passing HDMI audio while having the GTX 580's in NVIDIA surround config.
[quote name='BobbyNow' date='21 September 2011 - 11:00 AM' timestamp='1316563244' post='1296135']

I was thinking that might be the case. Thanks for the quick post. I'm expecting to receive the monitors & stand either this Friday or the beginning of next week. Once configured I'll post an update with how it all goes, whether I'm successful in passing HDMI audio while having the GTX 580's in NVIDIA surround config.

Posted 09/21/2011 12:14 AM   
[quote name='dez_coal' date='20 September 2011 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1316564072' post='1296142']
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, using 3x GTX580's connected via DVI to my displays. I'd like to use an HDMI cable to my receiver for HD audio. What ever happened in your case? /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />
[quote name='dez_coal' date='20 September 2011 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1316564072' post='1296142']

I'm in the same boat, using 3x GTX580's connected via DVI to my displays. I'd like to use an HDMI cable to my receiver for HD audio. What ever happened in your case? /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

Club SLI Member: SLI-32477 _CH_Skyline_

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.9Ghz 1.42v

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Rev B3

RAM: 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz 8-8-8-22 1.58v

GFX: 3x EVGA 3GB GTX580's in 3way-SLi

APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

Monitor: 3x HannStar 28" LCD in nVidia 2D Surround 5960 x 1200

HDD's: OCZ Vertex II 40GB SSD (OS) / 2x WD 320GB Raid-0 / WD 1TB Caviar Green

PSU: Antec HCP-1200

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X w/ Modded Window

CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper212+ w/ 2x UltraKaze 3Krpm

KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 Rev2 MOUSE: Logitech G9 Gaming Laser JOYSTICK: Logitech Extreme3DPro

Posted 01/27/2012 09:57 PM   
[quote name='_CH_Skyline_' date='28 January 2012 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1327701456' post='1361543']
[/quote]

Hi _CH_Skyline_, unfortunately since I have set up my 3 x ASUS monitors and activated nvidia surround. I haven’t been unable to pass HDMI audio via the GTX 580's. I have endlessly searched the net, sifting through forums for a solution with no luck.

My three Asus monitors are all connected to my 2 GTX 580's via DVI dual link cables. Two are connected to the top card, with the other connected to the bottom card. When I attempted to pass sound via HDMI to my receiver things didn’t go to plan. I first tried the HDMI socket on the bottom card, since only one connection in total was in use on that card. The problem that I continually encountered was that the nvidia drivers kept trying to span nvidia surround across all four connections (3 x DVI & 1 x HDMI). For lack of a better expression nvidia control panel would sh%t itself. I would lose the video signal to all of my monitors. The only remedy was turning my tower off removing the HDMI cable and all the DVI cables except for the primary one. Rebooting the system and reconfiguring nvidia control panel back to my old settings. I re-attempted the same process that same day, this time with the HDMI socket in the top GTX 580, unfortunately with the same result.

The conclusion that I have come to after my efforts is that when the exact type of card (my 2 x GTX 580's or your 3 x GTX 580's) are placed in a SLI nvidia surround configuration. They are locked into that config & that config only. So you are unable to use any of the DVI sockets to span any additional displays. You’re also unable to use any of the HDMI sockets for audio. Your GTX's are purely for 2D or 3D visual surround. I do find it strange because I'm sure that my cards have the resources to provide HDMI audio and there is no question that your 3-way SLI setup would. It appears to me to be a driver limitation. I suppose these drawbacks can happen when you are operating on the bleeding edge.

I'm currently running my GTX 580 SLI @ 6040x1080 nvidia surround. I have had to run an optical audio cable from my existing sound card 'Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD' to pass my sound to my receiver. To achieve 5.1 surround in this manner I was running a Auzentech audio encoder that encodes Dolby Digital and DTS on the fly and send it to my receiver. But what has been even more disappointing is for some PC titles this process has resulted in crackling audio and I have had to force the audio down to stereo. As you can image this is beyond frustration. I feel like I have traded up visually with my triple monitor setup, yet to the unfortunate sacrifice of my audio experience. I have an expensive home theatre system too which just adds to my frustration.

If you try this it's at your own risk. I have not tested it personally:
The only possible work around that I have heard of through the grape vine is adding a cheaper graphics card to your system. Then removing all display drivers. Disable the new cheaper card in Device Manager, then re-install the GTX 580 drivers and enable nvidia surround. Then enable the cheaper card and install the drivers for that card. Then you can use the card for passing HDMI audio if it has a HDMI socket and the ability to do so. I must stress though this is something I haven't tested and if you do this it's at your own risk. My tower & mother board are completely maxed out so I can't even attempt this so I've had to settle for optical audio via my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD. If you have more luck than I have had and you find a work around please post it here. I think my only work around is if a sound card is released that can independently send a dummy video signal with the audio to my receiver via its own HDMI socket. I must admit I’m very surprised that there’s not one on the market, well not one that I know of anyways.
[quote name='_CH_Skyline_' date='28 January 2012 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1327701456' post='1361543']

Hi _CH_Skyline_, unfortunately since I have set up my 3 x ASUS monitors and activated nvidia surround. I haven’t been unable to pass HDMI audio via the GTX 580's. I have endlessly searched the net, sifting through forums for a solution with no luck.

My three Asus monitors are all connected to my 2 GTX 580's via DVI dual link cables. Two are connected to the top card, with the other connected to the bottom card. When I attempted to pass sound via HDMI to my receiver things didn’t go to plan. I first tried the HDMI socket on the bottom card, since only one connection in total was in use on that card. The problem that I continually encountered was that the nvidia drivers kept trying to span nvidia surround across all four connections (3 x DVI & 1 x HDMI). For lack of a better expression nvidia control panel would sh%t itself. I would lose the video signal to all of my monitors. The only remedy was turning my tower off removing the HDMI cable and all the DVI cables except for the primary one. Rebooting the system and reconfiguring nvidia control panel back to my old settings. I re-attempted the same process that same day, this time with the HDMI socket in the top GTX 580, unfortunately with the same result.

The conclusion that I have come to after my efforts is that when the exact type of card (my 2 x GTX 580's or your 3 x GTX 580's) are placed in a SLI nvidia surround configuration. They are locked into that config & that config only. So you are unable to use any of the DVI sockets to span any additional displays. You’re also unable to use any of the HDMI sockets for audio. Your GTX's are purely for 2D or 3D visual surround. I do find it strange because I'm sure that my cards have the resources to provide HDMI audio and there is no question that your 3-way SLI setup would. It appears to me to be a driver limitation. I suppose these drawbacks can happen when you are operating on the bleeding edge.

I'm currently running my GTX 580 SLI @ 6040x1080 nvidia surround. I have had to run an optical audio cable from my existing sound card 'Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD' to pass my sound to my receiver. To achieve 5.1 surround in this manner I was running a Auzentech audio encoder that encodes Dolby Digital and DTS on the fly and send it to my receiver. But what has been even more disappointing is for some PC titles this process has resulted in crackling audio and I have had to force the audio down to stereo. As you can image this is beyond frustration. I feel like I have traded up visually with my triple monitor setup, yet to the unfortunate sacrifice of my audio experience. I have an expensive home theatre system too which just adds to my frustration.

If you try this it's at your own risk. I have not tested it personally:

The only possible work around that I have heard of through the grape vine is adding a cheaper graphics card to your system. Then removing all display drivers. Disable the new cheaper card in Device Manager, then re-install the GTX 580 drivers and enable nvidia surround. Then enable the cheaper card and install the drivers for that card. Then you can use the card for passing HDMI audio if it has a HDMI socket and the ability to do so. I must stress though this is something I haven't tested and if you do this it's at your own risk. My tower & mother board are completely maxed out so I can't even attempt this so I've had to settle for optical audio via my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD. If you have more luck than I have had and you find a work around please post it here. I think my only work around is if a sound card is released that can independently send a dummy video signal with the audio to my receiver via its own HDMI socket. I must admit I’m very surprised that there’s not one on the market, well not one that I know of anyways.

Posted 01/28/2012 06:06 AM   
[quote name='dez_coal' date='28 January 2012 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1327730773' post='1361690']
Hi _CH_Skyline_, unfortunately since I have set up my 3 x ASUS monitors and activated nvidia surround. I haven’t been unable to pass HDMI audio via the GTX 580's. I have endlessly searched the net, sifting through forums for a solution with no luck...

~snip[/quote]

Thanks for the lengthy and much appreciated reply! I, too, have done everything you've tried and have decided stop trying. I'm sure this is something that will be figured out in a later driver release, as you've guessed as well.

I've got an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro card and no empty slots! /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> My mobo is maxed right now also, and the next board will have an added fourth GTX 580, so there will be no room there either.

I did learn about AC3-Filter, which can be used to pass DTS over Optical, so I'm using that for whatever I can get it to assist. I really can't complain, though. I'm so happy with my rig that it just doesn't seem worth it to dwell on something that should be able to be worked out in the (hopefully) very near future.

Thanks again for posting your results!

Sky
[quote name='dez_coal' date='28 January 2012 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1327730773' post='1361690']

Hi _CH_Skyline_, unfortunately since I have set up my 3 x ASUS monitors and activated nvidia surround. I haven’t been unable to pass HDMI audio via the GTX 580's. I have endlessly searched the net, sifting through forums for a solution with no luck...

~snip

Thanks for the lengthy and much appreciated reply! I, too, have done everything you've tried and have decided stop trying. I'm sure this is something that will be figured out in a later driver release, as you've guessed as well.

I've got an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro card and no empty slots! /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> My mobo is maxed right now also, and the next board will have an added fourth GTX 580, so there will be no room there either.

I did learn about AC3-Filter, which can be used to pass DTS over Optical, so I'm using that for whatever I can get it to assist. I really can't complain, though. I'm so happy with my rig that it just doesn't seem worth it to dwell on something that should be able to be worked out in the (hopefully) very near future.

Sky

Club SLI Member: SLI-32477 _CH_Skyline_

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.9Ghz 1.42v

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Rev B3

RAM: 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz 8-8-8-22 1.58v

GFX: 3x EVGA 3GB GTX580's in 3way-SLi

APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

Monitor: 3x HannStar 28" LCD in nVidia 2D Surround 5960 x 1200

HDD's: OCZ Vertex II 40GB SSD (OS) / 2x WD 320GB Raid-0 / WD 1TB Caviar Green

PSU: Antec HCP-1200

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X w/ Modded Window

CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper212+ w/ 2x UltraKaze 3Krpm

KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 Rev2 MOUSE: Logitech G9 Gaming Laser JOYSTICK: Logitech Extreme3DPro

Posted 02/03/2012 04:31 PM   
[quote name='dez_coal' date='20 September 2011 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1316562130' post='1296126']

I have ordered 3 x ASUS (VG236H) 23' 3D LCD Monitor's & a Proluma triple monitor stand, which will replace my current NEC monitor. So hear is where my question comes in. From what I understand my triple monitor setup will require the use of 3 of the 4 (in total) DVI-D out sockets that are located on my 2 GTX 580's. [u]Once these connections are made and the monitor setup is configured will I still be able to pass HDMI audio via 1 of my GTX 580 cards that are in SLI[/u]???

[/quote]

Im on exacly the same tour as you are.

If I where you I would do some extra research but I've read that the newest systems can handle HDMI 3D Vision Surround. Because thats your setup. But there is one thing that doesnt seems to be correct... You got 3x 60hz monitors? Nvidia 3D Vision Surround minimum requierments are 120HZ refresh rate, Well actualy it depents on what 3D you use, shutter glass technique or normal glasses?

Just saying it in case you are planning to use shutter glasses :)
[quote name='dez_coal' date='20 September 2011 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1316562130' post='1296126']

I have ordered 3 x ASUS (VG236H) 23' 3D LCD Monitor's & a Proluma triple monitor stand, which will replace my current NEC monitor. So hear is where my question comes in. From what I understand my triple monitor setup will require the use of 3 of the 4 (in total) DVI-D out sockets that are located on my 2 GTX 580's. Once these connections are made and the monitor setup is configured will I still be able to pass HDMI audio via 1 of my GTX 580 cards that are in SLI???

If I where you I would do some extra research but I've read that the newest systems can handle HDMI 3D Vision Surround. Because thats your setup. But there is one thing that doesnt seems to be correct... You got 3x 60hz monitors? Nvidia 3D Vision Surround minimum requierments are 120HZ refresh rate, Well actualy it depents on what 3D you use, shutter glass technique or normal glasses?

Posted 02/03/2012 10:24 PM   
[quote name='_CH_Skyline_' date='04 February 2012 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1328286694' post='1364700']

Sky
[/quote]

Hi Sky,
It's at least reassuring for me to hear that you have tried, tested and come to the same conclusion. It was no trouble at all to post my results.
Cheers, Dezcoal.
[quote name='_CH_Skyline_' date='04 February 2012 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1328286694' post='1364700']

Sky

Hi Sky,

It's at least reassuring for me to hear that you have tried, tested and come to the same conclusion. It was no trouble at all to post my results.

Cheers, Dezcoal.

Posted 02/04/2012 01:43 AM   
[quote name='V.J.B.' date='04 February 2012 - 08:24 AM' timestamp='1328307866' post='1364879']

[/quote]

Hi V.J.B,
You may want to do a bit of extra research yourself. Nowhere did I mention that I own Triple 60Hz monitors. If you do a quick Google search on the model of my monitors, you will find that my three monitors (23' 3D LCD ASUS VG236H) are 120Hz monitors. I'm fully aware that for shutter glasses which I currently use for 3D nvidia surround require 60 frames for each eye. This is why you wouldn’t use anything less than a 120Hz monitor for 3D, due to the fact that if you used a 60Hz monitor you would be significantly limited to only 30 frames per eye. Also my thread is in regard to a HDMI audio problem not a 3D nvidia surround problem, 3D nvidia surround thankfully works perfectly on my rig with my nvidia shutter glasses. Additionally the research that I have read indicates that only DVI-D dual link cables (and that's three of them) not HDMI cables have the required bandwidth capabilities to pass 3D nvidia Surround @ resolutions that are as extreme as 6040x1080. If you have read otherwise maybe you can post in this thread the names of the nvidia graphics cards, the names & models of the monitors and the final configuration that would support HDMI to three monitors. Keeping in mind a GTX 580 has 2 x DVI sockets & one mini HDMI socket..........

Dezcoal
[quote name='V.J.B.' date='04 February 2012 - 08:24 AM' timestamp='1328307866' post='1364879']

Hi V.J.B,

You may want to do a bit of extra research yourself. Nowhere did I mention that I own Triple 60Hz monitors. If you do a quick Google search on the model of my monitors, you will find that my three monitors (23' 3D LCD ASUS VG236H) are 120Hz monitors. I'm fully aware that for shutter glasses which I currently use for 3D nvidia surround require 60 frames for each eye. This is why you wouldn’t use anything less than a 120Hz monitor for 3D, due to the fact that if you used a 60Hz monitor you would be significantly limited to only 30 frames per eye. Also my thread is in regard to a HDMI audio problem not a 3D nvidia surround problem, 3D nvidia surround thankfully works perfectly on my rig with my nvidia shutter glasses. Additionally the research that I have read indicates that only DVI-D dual link cables (and that's three of them) not HDMI cables have the required bandwidth capabilities to pass 3D nvidia Surround @ resolutions that are as extreme as 6040x1080. If you have read otherwise maybe you can post in this thread the names of the nvidia graphics cards, the names & models of the monitors and the final configuration that would support HDMI to three monitors. Keeping in mind a GTX 580 has 2 x DVI sockets & one mini HDMI socket..........

Dezcoal

Posted 02/04/2012 02:17 AM   
Scroll To Top