PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 in 3D What is the best solution?
I've searched through pages of threads here, I've looked at multiple online retailers, and I still have questions about 3D Vision.

I have a PC capable of 3D (3.1 Ghz Dual Core, GTX 570, 8GB RAM, etc.), Xbox 360, and PS3. All capable of 3D. I don't have a monitor or TV yet capable of 3D because I want to make sure I get the best solution.
I understand that only certain displays support: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html"]3D Glasses and Displays[/url]

From what I have ascertained, I can get a monitor for the PC. Will these work for Xbox and PS3? I realize that audio probably wouldn't be supported by most monitors, or at least in a decent way. I use optical digital for surround sound headphones, so that's not really an issue. There is also 3DTV Play, where you use a TV instead of a monitor. There seem to be limitations to what these can do with PC's, however.

So, what I'd like, is a concise list of pros/cons/limitations of both of these solutions, as well as what is required to be purchased. I definitely want to play in at least 1080P. I think 3DTV only allows 1080 at a lower refresh rate?
I've searched through pages of threads here, I've looked at multiple online retailers, and I still have questions about 3D Vision.

I have a PC capable of 3D (3.1 Ghz Dual Core, GTX 570, 8GB RAM, etc.), Xbox 360, and PS3. All capable of 3D. I don't have a monitor or TV yet capable of 3D because I want to make sure I get the best solution.

I understand that only certain displays support: 3D Glasses and Displays

From what I have ascertained, I can get a monitor for the PC. Will these work for Xbox and PS3? I realize that audio probably wouldn't be supported by most monitors, or at least in a decent way. I use optical digital for surround sound headphones, so that's not really an issue. There is also 3DTV Play, where you use a TV instead of a monitor. There seem to be limitations to what these can do with PC's, however.

So, what I'd like, is a concise list of pros/cons/limitations of both of these solutions, as well as what is required to be purchased. I definitely want to play in at least 1080P. I think 3DTV only allows 1080 at a lower refresh rate?

Posted 09/14/2011 06:50 PM   
In my opinion, PC has been and always will be superior to consoles, and not only for 3D.

PC: you can play pretty much any PC game in 3D as well as emulate console games in 3D too.

PS3: Meh

Xbox: 52% break within the first year...
In my opinion, PC has been and always will be superior to consoles, and not only for 3D.

PC: you can play pretty much any PC game in 3D as well as emulate console games in 3D too.

PS3: Meh

Xbox: 52% break within the first year...

Ed

Creator

www.3Dizzy.com

Home of 3D Videos

Posted 09/15/2011 05:57 PM   
2 monitors come to mind, the Acer HN274H which supports Nvidia 3D Vision at 1080P 60Hz reviewed here http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/ and the Samsung SyncMaster S27A950D which is not Nvidia supported but is reported to work. They are both HDMI 1.4 compliant meaning there's the possibility for using with the PS3, XBox,set top boxes, stand alone Blu-ray players, etc.....providing that the monitor supports the format that is output from the source. Example top/bottom formats may or may not be supported
2 monitors come to mind, the Acer HN274H which supports Nvidia 3D Vision at 1080P 60Hz reviewed here http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/ and the Samsung SyncMaster S27A950D which is not Nvidia supported but is reported to work. They are both HDMI 1.4 compliant meaning there's the possibility for using with the PS3, XBox,set top boxes, stand alone Blu-ray players, etc.....providing that the monitor supports the format that is output from the source. Example top/bottom formats may or may not be supported

Posted 09/15/2011 08:55 PM   
Consoles have all the cons and virtually no pros when it comes to 3D support. You're limited to 3D HDTV and HDMI 1.4 capabilities and all the negatives that come with it (1080p @ 24Hz or 720p @ 60Hz in S3D). I think the consoles may be limited even further by what kind of FPS and resolutions they can achieve due to inferior hardware. You also have virtually no software that allows you to take advantage of S3D, and while more titles will support it in the future, S3D support on this generation of consoles will still certainly be the exception and not the rule. For titles that do support S3D however, you can probably expect a pretty good 3D implementation.

PC on the other hand has a huge catalog of titles that works great in S3D whether by design or by accident. When it comes to actual content, there's really no comparison to any other form of media out there, PC games outnumber all other sources of S3D combined. The downside is there's numerous competing formats, all of which use different hardware, glasses, emitters, drivers etc. I guess the same could be said of the HDTV space but they are all generally compliant with HDMI 1.4 framepacking

If you want to remain flexible for both PC and console use, your best bet is to go with one of the offerings listed above that reportedly work with both HDMI 1.4 support for consoles and 3D Vision (may need some workarounds). Another possible solution is going with one of the newer Samsung LCD HDTVs as you can get 1080p 3D Vision checkerboard support with a mod/hack. It should give you the best of both worlds if you're on the fence and may be the best solution until we start getting some true 120Hz HDTVs capable of 1080p @ 60Hz per eye in 3D.
Consoles have all the cons and virtually no pros when it comes to 3D support. You're limited to 3D HDTV and HDMI 1.4 capabilities and all the negatives that come with it (1080p @ 24Hz or 720p @ 60Hz in S3D). I think the consoles may be limited even further by what kind of FPS and resolutions they can achieve due to inferior hardware. You also have virtually no software that allows you to take advantage of S3D, and while more titles will support it in the future, S3D support on this generation of consoles will still certainly be the exception and not the rule. For titles that do support S3D however, you can probably expect a pretty good 3D implementation.

PC on the other hand has a huge catalog of titles that works great in S3D whether by design or by accident. When it comes to actual content, there's really no comparison to any other form of media out there, PC games outnumber all other sources of S3D combined. The downside is there's numerous competing formats, all of which use different hardware, glasses, emitters, drivers etc. I guess the same could be said of the HDTV space but they are all generally compliant with HDMI 1.4 framepacking

If you want to remain flexible for both PC and console use, your best bet is to go with one of the offerings listed above that reportedly work with both HDMI 1.4 support for consoles and 3D Vision (may need some workarounds). Another possible solution is going with one of the newer Samsung LCD HDTVs as you can get 1080p 3D Vision checkerboard support with a mod/hack. It should give you the best of both worlds if you're on the fence and may be the best solution until we start getting some true 120Hz HDTVs capable of 1080p @ 60Hz per eye in 3D.

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 09/15/2011 09:17 PM   
If you get a monitor then it will be able to play at 1920x1080 with 60Hz refresh. Monitor + 3D Glasses will cost around $500. However, it will only work with your computer.

The TV can't do more than 24Hz at 1920x1080. (Most console games don't really play at that high of a resolution anyway so you'll likely want to take it down to 720p where you can get 60Hz.) However, it can work with all three. You're going to need to do some serious research, though, because there are a lot of 3D formats out there and several companies are pulling all sorts of stunts to try and make their format the "standard" format. 3DTV can't play every format, either, so be sure to include it in your research.

I'm still a bit shocked that consoles can do 3D at all. Seems like they are going at full tilt just to get games working without stereoscopic effects.
If you get a monitor then it will be able to play at 1920x1080 with 60Hz refresh. Monitor + 3D Glasses will cost around $500. However, it will only work with your computer.

The TV can't do more than 24Hz at 1920x1080. (Most console games don't really play at that high of a resolution anyway so you'll likely want to take it down to 720p where you can get 60Hz.) However, it can work with all three. You're going to need to do some serious research, though, because there are a lot of 3D formats out there and several companies are pulling all sorts of stunts to try and make their format the "standard" format. 3DTV can't play every format, either, so be sure to include it in your research.

I'm still a bit shocked that consoles can do 3D at all. Seems like they are going at full tilt just to get games working without stereoscopic effects.

Posted 09/16/2011 12:04 AM   
you can get one of the newer 3d vision monitors which come with integrated emitter and 3d vision glasses, and have hdmi 1.4 input for console use, and a dual link dvi input for PC full HD 60hz per eye 3D
you can get one of the newer 3d vision monitors which come with integrated emitter and 3d vision glasses, and have hdmi 1.4 input for console use, and a dual link dvi input for PC full HD 60hz per eye 3D

Posted 09/16/2011 12:13 AM   
It would be a shame to play your Consoles and pc on anything smaller than 42 inches. I highly recommend the st30 from panasonic.
It would be a shame to play your Consoles and pc on anything smaller than 42 inches. I highly recommend the st30 from panasonic.

Posted 09/16/2011 12:33 AM   
If your looking to watch 3D brodcast or movies a 3D TV may easily be your best bet, especially if you're looking to view the content with others. If you are a heavy gamer,you'd likely be more happy with one of the 2 monitors I listed simply because of 120Hz in 2D as well as 3D. A lot of gamers buy them never intending to use 3D but solely for the smooth gameplay, especially SLI users with high frame rates. If you are looking for an immersive experience bigger is always better for sure. You may even consider a projector, there's nothing more immersive than playing on a 120 inch screen. Downside with projectors of course is needing a darkened room in most instances due to brightness lost implementing 3D. As with anything, do your research and try to avoid buyer's remorse. Only you know what is right for you.
If your looking to watch 3D brodcast or movies a 3D TV may easily be your best bet, especially if you're looking to view the content with others. If you are a heavy gamer,you'd likely be more happy with one of the 2 monitors I listed simply because of 120Hz in 2D as well as 3D. A lot of gamers buy them never intending to use 3D but solely for the smooth gameplay, especially SLI users with high frame rates. If you are looking for an immersive experience bigger is always better for sure. You may even consider a projector, there's nothing more immersive than playing on a 120 inch screen. Downside with projectors of course is needing a darkened room in most instances due to brightness lost implementing 3D. As with anything, do your research and try to avoid buyer's remorse. Only you know what is right for you.

Posted 09/16/2011 04:57 AM   
i have hn274h monitor so i can tell you this at least. it only works with pc and ps3. xbox 360 3d games aren't supported for monitors(u need 3d tv for xbox 360). monitor is ok and of course pc is far superior when it comes to spec. considering 3d requires tremendous processing power, limit of hdmi 1.4's 1080p at 24hz aren't really a problem if you are looking for console 3d gaming coz they will run at 720p@30 most likely and hdmi 1.4 can do 720p@60hz. one thing that comes in my mind is, i heard 3d tv's 2d to 3d convert can convert normal games that don't have 3d to 3d to some point just like how they convert 2d movies to 3d. it sounds nice if you play lots of console games. i wanted to get 3dtv too but i am holding off coz i heard there will be new samsung 3dtv that can do 1080p@60hz coming in next 6 months or so. however, choice is urs to make. acedr hn274h monitor is at $680 comes with glass and most decent 3dtv starts from $1200 to $1600(samsung one). i would get 3d monitor for now and wait till 1080p@60hz 3dtv come out. :)
i have hn274h monitor so i can tell you this at least. it only works with pc and ps3. xbox 360 3d games aren't supported for monitors(u need 3d tv for xbox 360). monitor is ok and of course pc is far superior when it comes to spec. considering 3d requires tremendous processing power, limit of hdmi 1.4's 1080p at 24hz aren't really a problem if you are looking for console 3d gaming coz they will run at 720p@30 most likely and hdmi 1.4 can do 720p@60hz. one thing that comes in my mind is, i heard 3d tv's 2d to 3d convert can convert normal games that don't have 3d to 3d to some point just like how they convert 2d movies to 3d. it sounds nice if you play lots of console games. i wanted to get 3dtv too but i am holding off coz i heard there will be new samsung 3dtv that can do 1080p@60hz coming in next 6 months or so. however, choice is urs to make. acedr hn274h monitor is at $680 comes with glass and most decent 3dtv starts from $1200 to $1600(samsung one). i would get 3d monitor for now and wait till 1080p@60hz 3dtv come out. :)

I7 3930k

Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling Kit

Asus Rampage IV Formula

G.Skill 16gb DDR3 2133 Rams

EVGA GTX 680 SLI

Corsair AX1200 watts Gold PSU

12x LG Bluray Burner

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case

Asus VG278H 27 inch 3D monitor

Posted 09/16/2011 05:18 AM   
You could try the 2D to 3D converter from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011408&p_id=8048&seq=1&format=3#specification I read a forumn thread on it a while back over at AVS Science, as I recall one of the drawbacks was that it could not convert a 1080i signal, such as broadcast tv. But it can do 480P, 720P and 1080P. A few guys were using it to convert the output of 3D files on their hard drive to a compatible input as well as DVD's. Not sure if it would help at all with the XBox. Here's the listed output types Pass-through, 3D Red/Cyan, 3D Side-by-Side, 3D Frame Sequential Read thru the thread over at AVS Science here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339157&page=4
You could try the 2D to 3D converter from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011408&p_id=8048&seq=1&format=3#specification I read a forumn thread on it a while back over at AVS Science, as I recall one of the drawbacks was that it could not convert a 1080i signal, such as broadcast tv. But it can do 480P, 720P and 1080P. A few guys were using it to convert the output of 3D files on their hard drive to a compatible input as well as DVD's. Not sure if it would help at all with the XBox. Here's the listed output types Pass-through, 3D Red/Cyan, 3D Side-by-Side, 3D Frame Sequential Read thru the thread over at AVS Science here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339157&page=4

Posted 09/16/2011 03:53 PM   
hahahaha 2d to 3d converters
what a joke.
hahahaha 2d to 3d converters

what a joke.

Posted 09/16/2011 10:40 PM   
[quote name='rajkoderp' date='15 September 2011 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1316132018' post='1293539']
[/quote]
Can you give any examples of this? I've never heard of this existing. Seems like an excellent solution.
[quote name='rajkoderp' date='15 September 2011 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1316132018' post='1293539']

Can you give any examples of this? I've never heard of this existing. Seems like an excellent solution.

Posted 09/18/2011 12:09 AM   
Scroll To Top