Display Driver Stopped Responding and has recovered
  1 / 5    
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite p755 laptop. I installed Crysis Warhead and tried to run it. The game freezes up and it crashes. It gives this error " Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver version 280.26 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." My graphics card is the NVIDIA GT 540M (2GB VRAM). The game can run well with the intel graphics card but not with the NVIDIA card. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver software but it still gives me the same error. Could anyone help me with this problem? Thank you. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite p755 laptop. I installed Crysis Warhead and tried to run it. The game freezes up and it crashes. It gives this error " Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver version 280.26 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." My graphics card is the NVIDIA GT 540M (2GB VRAM). The game can run well with the intel graphics card but not with the NVIDIA card. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver software but it still gives me the same error. Could anyone help me with this problem? Thank you. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Posted 09/04/2011 03:44 PM   
test some other games that have intense graphics. If they crash too then I would take the laptop back for a replacement. also maybe monitor the temperature of yur CPU and GPU in game.
test some other games that have intense graphics. If they crash too then I would take the laptop back for a replacement. also maybe monitor the temperature of yur CPU and GPU in game.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 09/04/2011 04:51 PM   
I installed and tried to play dragon age. The game froze and gave blue screen error. I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver from Toshiba download website and it still gives me the same problem. This is getting frustrating for me /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />.
I installed and tried to play dragon age. The game froze and gave blue screen error. I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver from Toshiba download website and it still gives me the same problem. This is getting frustrating for me /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />.

Posted 09/05/2011 04:58 AM   
Hello all

Im getting this error also but in my case the screen goes black and comes back in seconds, temperatures are fine and no overclocking has been done. Can the community help me with this? thanks in advance
Hello all

Im getting this error also but in my case the screen goes black and comes back in seconds, temperatures are fine and no overclocking has been done. Can the community help me with this? thanks in advance

Posted 09/05/2011 05:05 PM   
Try this:
"go to NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings, and switch "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (the default "Adaptive" setting seemed to be the culprit)."

Found here:
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=179747"]not only photoshp issue[/url]

I had same error just with After Effects crashing all the time.

Now it seems to work and everything is running much faster.

Good luck /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Try this:

"go to NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings, and switch "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (the default "Adaptive" setting seemed to be the culprit)."

Found here:

not only photoshp issue

I had same error just with After Effects crashing all the time.

Now it seems to work and everything is running much faster.

Good luck /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 09/06/2011 10:46 PM   
Thank you for your solution knaselbert but it didn't solve the problem. This laptop was bought a few days ago.I think that there maybe some hardware problems with my NVIDIA graphics card.
Thank you for your solution knaselbert but it didn't solve the problem. This laptop was bought a few days ago.I think that there maybe some hardware problems with my NVIDIA graphics card.

Posted 09/07/2011 03:27 PM   
Pyro if you do come back and spot this, have you tried using a older driver the issue seems to actually stem from the drivers themselves as I am currently running on 275.33 and everything seems ok. I wouldn't think it would be the hardware just yet but if this fails then it may need looking at but as Error code 8 & Error code 4 seem to have been around since June, Nvidia seem to be rather slow in addressing it as it persists in recent driver versions as far as I can see.
Pyro if you do come back and spot this, have you tried using a older driver the issue seems to actually stem from the drivers themselves as I am currently running on 275.33 and everything seems ok. I wouldn't think it would be the hardware just yet but if this fails then it may need looking at but as Error code 8 & Error code 4 seem to have been around since June, Nvidia seem to be rather slow in addressing it as it persists in recent driver versions as far as I can see.

Posted 09/08/2011 10:49 PM   
I tried installing driver 275.33 and when I ran Crysis it gave me the same problem. My laptop was able to run Crysis with my integrated graphics card but not with my Nvidia Graphics card. I have a screenshot of my NVIDIA graphics card running Dragon age Orgins.There are strips and dots everywhere.It ran well without the strips and dots on the integrated graphics card.

[img]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l574/pyrobob1/IMG_01481.jpg[/img]
I tried installing driver 275.33 and when I ran Crysis it gave me the same problem. My laptop was able to run Crysis with my integrated graphics card but not with my Nvidia Graphics card. I have a screenshot of my NVIDIA graphics card running Dragon age Orgins.There are strips and dots everywhere.It ran well without the strips and dots on the integrated graphics card.

Posted 09/09/2011 04:41 AM   
What are the settings on the game, are you running it at max?

The issue I had which was the same occured with SL (at max) and Eve Online (at Max) basically it seems to affect any program that uses OpenGL. I solved it by rolling back and then opening the programs in windowed mode.
Im going to suggest lowering the gfx settings in crysis using the onboard to change settings and then try it out with Nvidia. (if you tried this, dang)

Just checking how much actual ram does the laptop have?

And im gonna suggest 1st even trying an older driver then the 275.33 (270.61) then reinstalling crysis.
What are the settings on the game, are you running it at max?

The issue I had which was the same occured with SL (at max) and Eve Online (at Max) basically it seems to affect any program that uses OpenGL. I solved it by rolling back and then opening the programs in windowed mode.

Im going to suggest lowering the gfx settings in crysis using the onboard to change settings and then try it out with Nvidia. (if you tried this, dang)

Just checking how much actual ram does the laptop have?

And im gonna suggest 1st even trying an older driver then the 275.33 (270.61) then reinstalling crysis.

Posted 09/09/2011 01:25 PM   
I installed the driver 275.33 and reinstall Crysis. I changed the graphics settings to minimum( which is the lowest setting) and 800x600 resolution, which is the lowest setting on the integrated graphics before switching to the NVIDIA graphics card. The game failed to run and gave the same problem. There would be a black screen for 2-3 seconds before crashing and bringing me back to the desktop.My laptop has 8GB of RAM. I called one of the technician in Toshiba and they said the game is too old to be run by my laptop and that there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. I did not believe that and I feel that there is some hardware problem with my NVIDIA graphics card. If Crysis was able to run with the integrated card, I don't see why it can't run with the NVIDIA card as the integrated card is much weaker than the NVIDIA card.
I installed the driver 275.33 and reinstall Crysis. I changed the graphics settings to minimum( which is the lowest setting) and 800x600 resolution, which is the lowest setting on the integrated graphics before switching to the NVIDIA graphics card. The game failed to run and gave the same problem. There would be a black screen for 2-3 seconds before crashing and bringing me back to the desktop.My laptop has 8GB of RAM. I called one of the technician in Toshiba and they said the game is too old to be run by my laptop and that there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. I did not believe that and I feel that there is some hardware problem with my NVIDIA graphics card. If Crysis was able to run with the integrated card, I don't see why it can't run with the NVIDIA card as the integrated card is much weaker than the NVIDIA card.

Posted 09/10/2011 06:00 AM   
Bumps....Please someone help me.

Posted 09/12/2011 03:44 AM   
i had this issue and actually fixed it tonight after stumbling across the problem and solution all by myself. so proud /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> lol

anyway, my issue was that my video card's voltage was set down (with stock settings) so I set it up manually and voila. No more driver hangup/crash. It only happened when I had my cpu OC'd. if i had my vid card OC'd the whole system would hang. haven't messed with the video OC yet so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Hope this helps!
i had this issue and actually fixed it tonight after stumbling across the problem and solution all by myself. so proud /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> lol

anyway, my issue was that my video card's voltage was set down (with stock settings) so I set it up manually and voila. No more driver hangup/crash. It only happened when I had my cpu OC'd. if i had my vid card OC'd the whole system would hang. haven't messed with the video OC yet so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Hope this helps!

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Thuban BE with Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler(@3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD516gb
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
3x MSI Geforce GTX 660ti OC edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium powering Logitech z-5300e 5.1 THX Surround & Creative Fatal1ty Pro headset
1000w Rosewill Bronze PSU
3x Corsair x256 (256gb*3) SATA II SSD in RAID0 through mobo
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
Lian Li Lancool K58 Dragon Lord case
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
3dmark11 P12226 Ice: 25637 Cloud: 14996 Fire: 9099

Posted 09/12/2011 06:43 AM   
[quote name='Pyrobob' date='11 September 2011 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1315799080' post='1291691']
[/quote]

[u]Jump to the bottom for my (italicized) suggestion if you want to spare yourself some reading.[/u]

I don't know if you've been properly helped yet or not, but on my half (background to follow) I was able to (for the time being) ameliorate this challenge by doing two things... kill my cpu overclock (done via my m/b bios... though the mem is still clocked up to it's proper operating speed) and scale my drivers down from the 280.66 (I think) to the 266.66 drivers. Let me present my specs and then the myriad of challenges. First, this is a new, custom build that I finished around early June and I had no problems whatsoever for about five months.

cpu: i5-2500k stock speeds (until recently)
m/b: Asus sabertooth p67 B3
mem: Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 (defaulted to 1333 hence the mem "overclock")
vid: ASUS GTX560Ti OC 1GB @ 830mhz
power: Antec TPQ 850W (hold over from the last build)
hdd: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G (3.5")

all that along with two 160gb sata drives for storage (movies and shows), and a new Asus optical drive... not important.

My challenges started when my system began to crash and not detect the hdd on reboots... this turned out to be a failure with the OCZ drive... a failure that turned out to be very common with this drive after ~five months.

**I'd like to caution everyone against ever buying this crap... cost $200 (about) with a crappy 30 day warranty (thanks Newegg) and horrible OCZ support. Why would I want to replace this thing and do yet another build!? ...I'll be doing a rebuild in about a month when I get the replacement drive... that or ebay :P**

Once I replaced the drive (had a spare 640gb sata sitting around... lucky) and did a fresh install (around mid sept.) I noticed that the video drivers were updated... sadly, this is around the time that I decided to use the default asus overclock setting (via the BIOS) to bump my cpu and memory. Everything was still fine for a week or two, and maybe through that driver version (I had updates set to run automatically, so I'm not positive what version caused all the agita) until one day my screen blinks and I get that lovely message that the driver stopped working and recovered. I did a lot of looking around, and a lot of questioning of my components (with a focus on the vid card and power supply... the p/s is getting old now), but I kept thinking it was a driver challenge because of how many people (with varied components) are still having this challenge.

[i]Anyway, my tentative advice is to just scale back the drivers to the 266.66 version (for now), return any overclocks to stock, and start playing around.
[/i]
I'm going to test some more later tonight once I climb over this mountain of schoolwork... good luck pyro, and let me know how things went for you.

I forgot to add that this first happened while I my system was just sitting at the desktop, and then later while browsing via g-chrome.
[quote name='Pyrobob' date='11 September 2011 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1315799080' post='1291691']

Jump to the bottom for my (italicized) suggestion if you want to spare yourself some reading.

I don't know if you've been properly helped yet or not, but on my half (background to follow) I was able to (for the time being) ameliorate this challenge by doing two things... kill my cpu overclock (done via my m/b bios... though the mem is still clocked up to it's proper operating speed) and scale my drivers down from the 280.66 (I think) to the 266.66 drivers. Let me present my specs and then the myriad of challenges. First, this is a new, custom build that I finished around early June and I had no problems whatsoever for about five months.

mem: Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 (defaulted to 1333 hence the mem "overclock")

all that along with two 160gb sata drives for storage (movies and shows), and a new Asus optical drive... not important.

My challenges started when my system began to crash and not detect the hdd on reboots... this turned out to be a failure with the OCZ drive... a failure that turned out to be very common with this drive after ~five months.

**I'd like to caution everyone against ever buying this crap... cost $200 (about) with a crappy 30 day warranty (thanks Newegg) and horrible OCZ support. Why would I want to replace this thing and do yet another build!? ...I'll be doing a rebuild in about a month when I get the replacement drive... that or ebay :P**

Once I replaced the drive (had a spare 640gb sata sitting around... lucky) and did a fresh install (around mid sept.) I noticed that the video drivers were updated... sadly, this is around the time that I decided to use the default asus overclock setting (via the BIOS) to bump my cpu and memory. Everything was still fine for a week or two, and maybe through that driver version (I had updates set to run automatically, so I'm not positive what version caused all the agita) until one day my screen blinks and I get that lovely message that the driver stopped working and recovered. I did a lot of looking around, and a lot of questioning of my components (with a focus on the vid card and power supply... the p/s is getting old now), but I kept thinking it was a driver challenge because of how many people (with varied components) are still having this challenge.

Anyway, my tentative advice is to just scale back the drivers to the 266.66 version (for now), return any overclocks to stock, and start playing around.

I'm going to test some more later tonight once I climb over this mountain of schoolwork... good luck pyro, and let me know how things went for you.

I forgot to add that this first happened while I my system was just sitting at the desktop, and then later while browsing via g-chrome.

Posted 10/04/2011 12:45 AM   
[quote name='NYJCroo' date='04 October 2011 - 08:45 AM' timestamp='1317689110' post='1302851']
[u]Jump to the bottom for my (italicized) suggestion if you want to spare yourself some reading.[/u]

[i]Anyway, my tentative advice is to just scale back the drivers to the 266.66 version (for now), return any overclocks to stock, and start playing around.
[/i]

[/quote]

I checked the NVIDIA website and there was no driver 266.66 for my laptop graphics card and I do not think that my laptop is overclocked(it is a brand new one). This problem happened on the day when I bought it. I brought my laptop to the Toshiba Service Center and they told me that the current drivers will not solve the problem and that NVIDIA will release a new driver, that will be released around November or December, to fix this problem. I'm upset that I can't make use of my graphics card. I had my previous laptop that came with a ATI graphics card and it had no problems for about 3 years. Now I regret buying this laptop, shouldn't have chosen a laptop that came with a Optimus Technology. /angry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />
[quote name='NYJCroo' date='04 October 2011 - 08:45 AM' timestamp='1317689110' post='1302851']

Jump to the bottom for my (italicized) suggestion if you want to spare yourself some reading.

Anyway, my tentative advice is to just scale back the drivers to the 266.66 version (for now), return any overclocks to stock, and start playing around.

I checked the NVIDIA website and there was no driver 266.66 for my laptop graphics card and I do not think that my laptop is overclocked(it is a brand new one). This problem happened on the day when I bought it. I brought my laptop to the Toshiba Service Center and they told me that the current drivers will not solve the problem and that NVIDIA will release a new driver, that will be released around November or December, to fix this problem. I'm upset that I can't make use of my graphics card. I had my previous laptop that came with a ATI graphics card and it had no problems for about 3 years. Now I regret buying this laptop, shouldn't have chosen a laptop that came with a Optimus Technology. /angry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Posted 10/04/2011 05:04 AM   
After many weeks of Googling, going through 100 threads, trying many of the solutions (some of which being ridiculous like reformatting, replacing hardware, etc.), I found ONE POST that suggested what I can now confirm fixes this problem. Not "it hasn't happened yet, keeping my fingers crossed", but actually fixed.

THE SOLUTION:

Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Set PhysX configuration -> Select a Physx processor -> choose your graphics card instead of leaving it on auto-select.
After many weeks of Googling, going through 100 threads, trying many of the solutions (some of which being ridiculous like reformatting, replacing hardware, etc.), I found ONE POST that suggested what I can now confirm fixes this problem. Not "it hasn't happened yet, keeping my fingers crossed", but actually fixed.

THE SOLUTION:

Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Set PhysX configuration -> Select a Physx processor -> choose your graphics card instead of leaving it on auto-select.

Posted 10/30/2011 08:30 PM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top