Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX faulty..replacement?
Hi all,

I have a Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX and when I start up the pc after a couple of minutes I get lines all across the screen and then I get blue screen and have to restart pc..the blue screen is related to the graphics card. Ive tried updating the drivers.

If I have to replace the card im trying to find an equivalent of the one I have without going mad on price etc...

Please can someone take a look here http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/r/graphics+card/0_0_0/?t=2_1&u=0_10 and tell me which one they think is the equivalent nvidia geforce in today market

Thanks
Alex
Hi all,

I have a Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX and when I start up the pc after a couple of minutes I get lines all across the screen and then I get blue screen and have to restart pc..the blue screen is related to the graphics card. Ive tried updating the drivers.

If I have to replace the card im trying to find an equivalent of the one I have without going mad on price etc...

Please can someone take a look here http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/r/graphics+card/0_0_0/?t=2_1&u=0_10 and tell me which one they think is the equivalent nvidia geforce in today market

Thanks

Alex

Posted 08/29/2011 01:16 PM   
Anyone help me out please?
Anyone help me out please?

Posted 08/29/2011 05:28 PM   
Could you post your PC's specs? Be sure to provide the brand (model), total wattage and amperage on the +12V rail of your PSU (power supply unit). Also, what resolution you game at?

Your 8800 GTX is an old card, so it could be it's started to fail. But it could also be due to overheating or an insufficient PSU (they tend to degrade overtime and lose their former capacity).

A modern day equivalent would be the GTS 450. Costs about 100 pounds, is faster than your 8800 GTX, has DX 11 support, runs cooler and probably isn't as power hungry, overclocks nicely.

A GTX 550 Ti is slightly faster than the GTS 450, but costs more too. A nice 500 series entry card. They overclock even better than the 400 series, so you could squeeze some extra performance. This particular card though, most often is factory-overclocked, so you may not get much of an increase.
Could you post your PC's specs? Be sure to provide the brand (model), total wattage and amperage on the +12V rail of your PSU (power supply unit). Also, what resolution you game at?

Your 8800 GTX is an old card, so it could be it's started to fail. But it could also be due to overheating or an insufficient PSU (they tend to degrade overtime and lose their former capacity).

A modern day equivalent would be the GTS 450. Costs about 100 pounds, is faster than your 8800 GTX, has DX 11 support, runs cooler and probably isn't as power hungry, overclocks nicely.

A GTX 550 Ti is slightly faster than the GTS 450, but costs more too. A nice 500 series entry card. They overclock even better than the 400 series, so you could squeeze some extra performance. This particular card though, most often is factory-overclocked, so you may not get much of an increase.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
ProlimaTech Megahalems Rev.B (Push/Pull with 2x 2000rpm CM SickleFlow Green LED fans)
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Asus GTX670 (with UEFI BIOS)
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1600MHz 1.50V
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Corsair TX750
Cooler Master 690II Advanced Nvidia Edition
Samsung SyncMaster P2370

Posted 08/29/2011 06:07 PM   
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pny-nvidia-geforce-gts-450-pci-e-graphics-card-1gb-08623351-pdt.html

I'm pretty sure this one will be about the closest if you post the rest of your system spec's including power supply we can make a more accurate choice?

Ooop's a little slow to reply,my age must be showing.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pny-nvidia-geforce-gts-450-pci-e-graphics-card-1gb-08623351-pdt.html

I'm pretty sure this one will be about the closest if you post the rest of your system spec's including power supply we can make a more accurate choice?

Ooop's a little slow to reply,my age must be showing.

Posted 08/29/2011 06:09 PM   
Scroll To Top