NVIDIA 280.26 Graphics Driver Installer Failed need help determining reason for install failure
  1 / 4    
Windows 7 64 bit gateway

I recently attempted to download the update and i get a message that says "NVIDIA Installer Failed"

Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening?
Windows 7 64 bit gateway

I recently attempted to download the update and i get a message that says "NVIDIA Installer Failed"

Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening?

Posted 08/25/2011 08:06 AM   
I have winxp 32 bit but had the exact same problem. After 2 days I managed to get it to load. Here's what I did.

I ran the installer and just clicked enter to the extraction path.
It then saved the files to the computer and then opened the installer.
I clicked agree and continue.
I then chose [u]custom install[/u].
I unchecked everything here but the [u]driver[/u] and checked [u]perform a clean installation[/u].
I clicked [u]next[/u] and it installed the driver.
I restarted the computer and ran the installation again as above but this time checking the [u]driver[/u] and [u]nView[/u] (leaving off [u]NVIDIA Update[/u]).
I clicked next again and it installed the driver and nView.
I restarted and ran through the installation, again with a custom install, but this time I checked [u]all[/u] options and clicked [u]next[/u].
The installer ran and installed everything. A restart and I was finished.

Can't say this will work for you (as we have different systems) but you never know. Give it a go and good luck.
I have winxp 32 bit but had the exact same problem. After 2 days I managed to get it to load. Here's what I did.

I then chose custom install.

I unchecked everything here but the driver and checked perform a clean installation.

I clicked next and it installed the driver.

I restarted the computer and ran the installation again as above but this time checking the driver and nView (leaving off NVIDIA Update).

I restarted and ran through the installation, again with a custom install, but this time I checked all options and clicked next.

Can't say this will work for you (as we have different systems) but you never know. Give it a go and good luck.

Posted 08/26/2011 08:03 PM   
Does anyone at nVidia actually [b]read[/b] these forums? How about an actual process to remove entries from the registry or system files that are obviously cockblocking the installer somehow?

I have a similar issue with a Dell XPS15 laptop and GT540M with every version of driver I've tried, 280.26 from the nVidia site and older Dell custom versions. My Sandy Bridge system has the hybrid Intel HD+GT540M kit. The Intel onboard chipset detects and runs fine, but the GT540M just shows as Standard VGA Graphics adapter in Windows 7 Device manager. I have tried uninstalling the VGA adapter, going into safe mode and deleting devices, multiple versions of the nVidia drivers, deleting the driver folders.. nothing works, the nVidia installer still fails every time it is run.
Does anyone at nVidia actually read these forums? How about an actual process to remove entries from the registry or system files that are obviously cockblocking the installer somehow?

I have a similar issue with a Dell XPS15 laptop and GT540M with every version of driver I've tried, 280.26 from the nVidia site and older Dell custom versions. My Sandy Bridge system has the hybrid Intel HD+GT540M kit. The Intel onboard chipset detects and runs fine, but the GT540M just shows as Standard VGA Graphics adapter in Windows 7 Device manager. I have tried uninstalling the VGA adapter, going into safe mode and deleting devices, multiple versions of the nVidia drivers, deleting the driver folders.. nothing works, the nVidia installer still fails every time it is run.

Posted 08/30/2011 04:10 PM   
[quote name='datguy' date='30 August 2011 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1314720651' post='1286204']
Does anyone at nVidia actually [b]read[/b] these forums? How about an actual process to remove entries from the registry or system files that are obviously cockblocking the installer somehow?

[/quote]

I have the same system and our web drivers installs just fine for me. What error is the installer giving you?
[quote name='datguy' date='30 August 2011 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1314720651' post='1286204']

Does anyone at nVidia actually read these forums? How about an actual process to remove entries from the registry or system files that are obviously cockblocking the installer somehow?

I have the same system and our web drivers installs just fine for me. What error is the installer giving you?

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 08/30/2011 05:52 PM   
i also have thesame problem.
i also have thesame problem.

Posted 08/31/2011 11:50 AM   
I have same problem. with 2 Nvidia cards
EVGA 520 and Gygabyte GTX 460 768I
the error is exactly the same, during installation I get the message prompt that the installation can not continue. A list is reported wher nothing has been nstalled. The biggest issue is that I was not even able to restore the older drivers (258.56). I had to manually delete all nvx.x files from the \system32\ directory to get back to the old installation.
The reason to install the new files is because DVDFab 8.1 has reported a problem with the CUDA drivers and suggested to install new drivers.

After the clean up I was able to install the 258.56 drivers, which are working fine
later will post the log file
additional information:
Windows XP32 SP3
Avast 4.8 Antivirus

BR
I have same problem. with 2 Nvidia cards

EVGA 520 and Gygabyte GTX 460 768I

the error is exactly the same, during installation I get the message prompt that the installation can not continue. A list is reported wher nothing has been nstalled. The biggest issue is that I was not even able to restore the older drivers (258.56). I had to manually delete all nvx.x files from the \system32\ directory to get back to the old installation.

The reason to install the new files is because DVDFab 8.1 has reported a problem with the CUDA drivers and suggested to install new drivers.

After the clean up I was able to install the 258.56 drivers, which are working fine

later will post the log file

additional information:

Windows XP32 SP3

Avast 4.8 Antivirus

BR

Posted 09/03/2011 04:28 PM   
Sorry but can't post the log file of the installation of drivers 280.26. I have been working for 2 hours to reinstall the old drivers, so no way to try again installing the new one again.
For my personal experience 280.26 are as bad as they can be. Trash them!!
Most likelly in a new installation those may work, but as long as in my WinXP I have older drivers those do not work.
At a certain point with the EVGA GT520 I was completely stuck: new drivers 280.26 didn't install, and older drivers 258.56 (originally downloaded from Gigabyte web site) didn't see any compatible HW.

in the registry there are several keys which can not be deleted, just few example..
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.DesktopContext.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.NvCplLateBound.1.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NVIDIA.Installer2.NVInstallManager.1

now that I have installed the 258.56 I see a copy of the same keys with no number at the end:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.DesktopContext
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.NvCplLateBound
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NVIDIA.Installer2.NVInstallManager

Can someone in Nvidia check possible interaction of old/new drivers? I beleive the old drivers create registry entries which are not (or can not be) deleted by the new drivers, this explains the incomplete installation. When I try to reinstall the old drivers, the key created by the new drivers do not allow the older drivers to find a compatible HW.

I'm pretty much disappointed by the poor quality of this last version of Nvidia drivers. Wasn't ATI supposed to be the bad ones?I moved to Nvidia graphic cards because ATI (Catalist) Sw wa pretty bad, but now I'm not so sure Nvidia is much better.

Will se how much time it will take to solve this issue....
old drivers CUDA problem
New Driver deadly!!
solutions: reinstall fresh copy of winXP or buy an ATI card? May be the second will cost less...
Sorry but can't post the log file of the installation of drivers 280.26. I have been working for 2 hours to reinstall the old drivers, so no way to try again installing the new one again.

For my personal experience 280.26 are as bad as they can be. Trash them!!

Most likelly in a new installation those may work, but as long as in my WinXP I have older drivers those do not work.

At a certain point with the EVGA GT520 I was completely stuck: new drivers 280.26 didn't install, and older drivers 258.56 (originally downloaded from Gigabyte web site) didn't see any compatible HW.

in the registry there are several keys which can not be deleted, just few example..

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.DesktopContext.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.NvCplLateBound.1.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NVIDIA.Installer2.NVInstallManager.1

now that I have installed the 258.56 I see a copy of the same keys with no number at the end:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.DesktopContext

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NvCpl.NvCplLateBound

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NVIDIA.Installer2.NVInstallManager

Can someone in Nvidia check possible interaction of old/new drivers? I beleive the old drivers create registry entries which are not (or can not be) deleted by the new drivers, this explains the incomplete installation. When I try to reinstall the old drivers, the key created by the new drivers do not allow the older drivers to find a compatible HW.

I'm pretty much disappointed by the poor quality of this last version of Nvidia drivers. Wasn't ATI supposed to be the bad ones?I moved to Nvidia graphic cards because ATI (Catalist) Sw wa pretty bad, but now I'm not so sure Nvidia is much better.

Will se how much time it will take to solve this issue....

old drivers CUDA problem

New Driver deadly!!

solutions: reinstall fresh copy of winXP or buy an ATI card? May be the second will cost less...

Posted 09/03/2011 11:48 PM   
In registry editor, right click on the one you want deleted, then click Permissions. Set the required permission. Now you can delete it.
It never helped me as I can still not install latest driver. Maybe you will get lucky, not me.
In registry editor, right click on the one you want deleted, then click Permissions. Set the required permission. Now you can delete it.

It never helped me as I can still not install latest driver. Maybe you will get lucky, not me.

Posted 09/06/2011 12:04 AM   
Thanks Cruski for the suggestion.I will give it a try, but I have seen others with the same problem not being able to delete this key.

What I do not understand is why Nvidia is not providing any working fix to this issue. Have other seen any reaction?
Does anyone suggest which are the latest drivers effectively working in WinXP and where those can be downloaded from?
Thanks Cruski for the suggestion.I will give it a try, but I have seen others with the same problem not being able to delete this key.

What I do not understand is why Nvidia is not providing any working fix to this issue. Have other seen any reaction?

Does anyone suggest which are the latest drivers effectively working in WinXP and where those can be downloaded from?

Posted 09/07/2011 01:32 PM   
[quote name='mastro59' date='07 September 2011 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1315402345' post='1289803']
[/quote]

I have successfully installed all of the recent drivers on Windows XP. What can NVIDIA fix if everything is working as it should?
[quote name='mastro59' date='07 September 2011 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1315402345' post='1289803']

I have successfully installed all of the recent drivers on Windows XP. What can NVIDIA fix if everything is working as it should?

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 09/07/2011 02:28 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='07 September 2011 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1315405685' post='1289818']
[/quote]

Have a look back and count who was successful and who wasn't in this thread alone. It's 6 fails to 2 successes. Though I eventually got it installed I include myself in the fails because if someone has to spend two days trying different things to get a piece of software installed then there certainly is a problem.

This thread was started by someone looking for help on a driver install failure. Not really sure why someone who was successful would bother posting and give nothing constructive. If you google the driver as an install failure you'll see its not just us.

I'm sure nVidia has a threshold for whether they count a driver release as successful or not but if a large group of users have problems then to that group there is a problem to be fixed.

I had it installed but it gave some major freezes and weird graphics glitches in a few games I play so I've rolled back to version 275.33. I downloaded mine from here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='07 September 2011 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1315405685' post='1289818']

Have a look back and count who was successful and who wasn't in this thread alone. It's 6 fails to 2 successes. Though I eventually got it installed I include myself in the fails because if someone has to spend two days trying different things to get a piece of software installed then there certainly is a problem.

This thread was started by someone looking for help on a driver install failure. Not really sure why someone who was successful would bother posting and give nothing constructive. If you google the driver as an install failure you'll see its not just us.

I'm sure nVidia has a threshold for whether they count a driver release as successful or not but if a large group of users have problems then to that group there is a problem to be fixed.

I had it installed but it gave some major freezes and weird graphics glitches in a few games I play so I've rolled back to version 275.33. I downloaded mine from here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Posted 09/07/2011 06:25 PM   
Same issue for me on Windows 7 ultimate...cannot install normal Nvidia drivers and am stuck with these god-awful WDDM drivers that disable hardware acceleration...
Same issue for me on Windows 7 ultimate...cannot install normal Nvidia drivers and am stuck with these god-awful WDDM drivers that disable hardware acceleration...

Posted 09/08/2011 12:11 AM   
Thank you I finally installed the nVidia 280.26 driver!
My motherboard's built-in is a GeForce 7 series (7100/nForce 630)
& then I installed the GT 520 but everything fails. I wonder why & I tried reinstalling Windows twice, & installing the drivers first in Windows Service Pack 3 & then in Service Pack 2 thinking that it looks for a certain service pack.
Anyway, I came across this thread & followed post #2 & voila!
Thank you!

[quote name='sunstealer' date='26 August 2011 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1314388986' post='1284670']

I then chose [u]custom install[/u].
I unchecked everything here but the [u]driver[/u] and checked [u]perform a clean installation[/u].
I clicked [u]next[/u] and it installed the driver.
I restarted the computer and ran the installation again as above but this time checking the [u]driver[/u] and [u]nView[/u] (leaving off [u]NVIDIA Update[/u]).
I restarted and ran through the installation, again with a custom install, but this time I checked [u]all[/u] options and clicked [u]next[/u].

[/quote]
Thank you I finally installed the nVidia 280.26 driver!

My motherboard's built-in is a GeForce 7 series (7100/nForce 630)

& then I installed the GT 520 but everything fails. I wonder why & I tried reinstalling Windows twice, & installing the drivers first in Windows Service Pack 3 & then in Service Pack 2 thinking that it looks for a certain service pack.

Anyway, I came across this thread & followed post #2 & voila!

Thank you!

[quote name='sunstealer' date='26 August 2011 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1314388986' post='1284670']

I then chose custom install.

I unchecked everything here but the driver and checked perform a clean installation.

I clicked next and it installed the driver.

I restarted the computer and ran the installation again as above but this time checking the driver and nView (leaving off NVIDIA Update).

I restarted and ran through the installation, again with a custom install, but this time I checked all options and clicked next.

Posted 09/14/2011 06:45 AM   
Glad I could be of help to someone :)

TBH I've rolled back to version 275.33 as I found the latest driver had an adverse and noticeable effect on a number of games I play, mainly City of Heroes and Guild Wars. It causes a lot of lag and stutter and I couldn't run the games at the graphics settings I normally use. I had to turn these down.

Another thing I've found is after managing to install the latest driver it will now load in the normal manner every time if I install it again (after the rollback). Maybe rolling back leaves something from the latest driver on the system which wasn't there before and allows the driver to install correctly the 2nd time.

Ummm. I have a clone of my system before I'd installed the latest driver so might re-set my system (after making a clone of the system as it is now) and see if the latest driver has the original installation problem.

Will do this in the next few days and post back.
Glad I could be of help to someone :)

TBH I've rolled back to version 275.33 as I found the latest driver had an adverse and noticeable effect on a number of games I play, mainly City of Heroes and Guild Wars. It causes a lot of lag and stutter and I couldn't run the games at the graphics settings I normally use. I had to turn these down.

Another thing I've found is after managing to install the latest driver it will now load in the normal manner every time if I install it again (after the rollback). Maybe rolling back leaves something from the latest driver on the system which wasn't there before and allows the driver to install correctly the 2nd time.

Ummm. I have a clone of my system before I'd installed the latest driver so might re-set my system (after making a clone of the system as it is now) and see if the latest driver has the original installation problem.

Will do this in the next few days and post back.

Posted 09/14/2011 07:37 AM   
My laptop (win 7 - 64bit) has Nvidia GeForce GT320M Cuda 1 GB. When i tried to update it on nvidia home page driver section with Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products, i get this result (i attached screenshot).

When i click download for both it opens a new page http://origin-www-stage.nvidia.com.tr/drivers/results/37127 and no working. i tried to fix the link www.stage.nivida.com.tr/..... and a few more but all not working.

And i downloaded driver manually and installed/restarted( latest 280.26 version). And also downloaded and installed HD Graphic driver latest version from intel home page. Now i'm trying to control driver with Option 2 (on nvidia.com), but it still shows same (i mean attached screenshot)

Any idea for fixing it?
My laptop (win 7 - 64bit) has Nvidia GeForce GT320M Cuda 1 GB. When i tried to update it on nvidia home page driver section with Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products, i get this result (i attached screenshot).

When i click download for both it opens a new page http://origin-www-stage.nvidia.com.tr/drivers/results/37127 and no working. i tried to fix the link www.stage.nivida.com.tr/..... and a few more but all not working.

And i downloaded driver manually and installed/restarted( latest 280.26 version). And also downloaded and installed HD Graphic driver latest version from intel home page. Now i'm trying to control driver with Option 2 (on nvidia.com), but it still shows same (i mean attached screenshot)

Any idea for fixing it?

Posted 09/14/2011 08:13 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top