OPS for EverQuest II
I would love to create a set of optimal playable settings for EQ2 for my EVGA GTX 460. Does anybody have any tips for creating these myself or have the time to make it themselves?
I would love to create a set of optimal playable settings for EQ2 for my EVGA GTX 460. Does anybody have any tips for creating these myself or have the time to make it themselves?

Posted 08/19/2011 12:00 PM   
bump
bump

Posted 09/23/2011 09:02 PM   
It's obvious that Nvidia has slacked off. They haven't been optimizing EverQuest II at all. They still claim that the best GPU to run this game is the GeForce 6000 series. What settings would I want to look at to create the Optimal Playable Settings that Nvidia has ignored?
It's obvious that Nvidia has slacked off. They haven't been optimizing EverQuest II at all. They still claim that the best GPU to run this game is the GeForce 6000 series. What settings would I want to look at to create the Optimal Playable Settings that Nvidia has ignored?

Posted 11/11/2011 09:05 PM   
Actually it's more like SOE has slacked off. EQ2's graphics engine doesn't take advantage of multi-core processors at all and there are no plans to add support for this. Due to this, no matter what GPU you use the CPU will be the greatest bottleneck for this game and you will experience sub-par performance. This and this alone is the reason hardly anyone plays EQ2 even though content-wise it's the best of the Fantasy MMORPG bunch.
Actually it's more like SOE has slacked off. EQ2's graphics engine doesn't take advantage of multi-core processors at all and there are no plans to add support for this. Due to this, no matter what GPU you use the CPU will be the greatest bottleneck for this game and you will experience sub-par performance. This and this alone is the reason hardly anyone plays EQ2 even though content-wise it's the best of the Fantasy MMORPG bunch.

Posted 11/14/2011 10:07 PM   
I used to get 60fps on the highest settings using an Athlon x2 and a GTS 8800. Now I get 40fps on average settings using a Phenom II x6 and a GTX 460. Can anybody explain this? I'm not looking to lay out blame, just to fix my performance.
I used to get 60fps on the highest settings using an Athlon x2 and a GTS 8800. Now I get 40fps on average settings using a Phenom II x6 and a GTX 460. Can anybody explain this? I'm not looking to lay out blame, just to fix my performance.

Posted 11/14/2011 10:10 PM   
What were the clock speeds of the different processors? Have you changed Operating Systems or are you still using XP?
What were the clock speeds of the different processors? Have you changed Operating Systems or are you still using XP?

Posted 11/15/2011 04:44 PM   
I think the first machine was 2.5 ghz on win server 2003. The current one is 3.2 ghz on win 7
I think the first machine was 2.5 ghz on win server 2003. The current one is 3.2 ghz on win 7

Posted 11/15/2011 04:50 PM   
I noticed a big frame hit going from XP 32bit to Win7 64bit with EQ2. It seems the engine is optimized for XP for some reason. You may want to try XP. I know you don't want to lay blame but the fault is really with SOE not updating their game to take advantage of modern hardware. I have no doubt that you would still get your earlier better performance with your older hardware and OS.
I noticed a big frame hit going from XP 32bit to Win7 64bit with EQ2. It seems the engine is optimized for XP for some reason. You may want to try XP. I know you don't want to lay blame but the fault is really with SOE not updating their game to take advantage of modern hardware. I have no doubt that you would still get your earlier better performance with your older hardware and OS.

Posted 11/15/2011 04:54 PM   
Windows has poor implementation of dx9 on windows 7. Odd how when eq2 came out, it had a brand new engine while the wow engine was thought to die quickly
Windows has poor implementation of dx9 on windows 7. Odd how when eq2 came out, it had a brand new engine while the wow engine was thought to die quickly

Posted 11/15/2011 04:58 PM   
I tried optimizing Windows by removing unnecessary services, start-up programs, and visual effects, but there was no boost in framerate. I would try switching back to my 8800 gts, but I'm only in this position because it broke. There was a framerate boost when I first got this machine, but it slowed down after a few weeks. What else could I try besides spamming Sony with suggestions?
I tried optimizing Windows by removing unnecessary services, start-up programs, and visual effects, but there was no boost in framerate. I would try switching back to my 8800 gts, but I'm only in this position because it broke. There was a framerate boost when I first got this machine, but it slowed down after a few weeks. What else could I try besides spamming Sony with suggestions?

Posted 11/25/2011 11:19 PM   
Scroll To Top