Finally, new build on the horizon... Need a bit of help finding little things...
  1 / 6    
Finally generating enough money to move ahead with my new build :) but, of course, there's new GPUs and Ivy coming up in the next few months /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Anyways, I'm in need of a few little bits and bobs to finish off the dimensions of a custom case. Dose anyone know where I can source the following??

PCIe x16 extender: - kind of like [url="http://linitx.com/product/10538"]this one[/url]; but about 40mm tall (1.6" if you prefer), need to be full x16 and have a straight extension (none of that left or right stuff). I can make do with these, but I'd need to stack 2 to get the height needed /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
PCIe x16 flexible riser: - kind of like [url="http://rackmountmart.stores.yahoo.net/r11u1slotpci.html"]this one[/url]; but about 200 or even 300mm long and better quality cable (although I may rewire it anyway) - for a GPU, so it needs to be good quality... The Prototype Sliverstone TJ12 had some... but they were custom for that case and are not available /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> athough I am trying /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Finally generating enough money to move ahead with my new build :) but, of course, there's new GPUs and Ivy coming up in the next few months /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Anyways, I'm in need of a few little bits and bobs to finish off the dimensions of a custom case. Dose anyone know where I can source the following??

PCIe x16 extender: - kind of like this one; but about 40mm tall (1.6" if you prefer), need to be full x16 and have a straight extension (none of that left or right stuff). I can make do with these, but I'd need to stack 2 to get the height needed /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

PCIe x16 flexible riser: - kind of like this one; but about 200 or even 300mm long and better quality cable (although I may rewire it anyway) - for a GPU, so it needs to be good quality... The Prototype Sliverstone TJ12 had some... but they were custom for that case and are not available /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> athough I am trying /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 08/18/2011 08:12 PM   
Should be getting these as the flexible ones... up to 19cm /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> seeing about getting them to custom build longer ones.
[img]http://www.meitk.com/PIC/PIC/20118141659270.jpg[/img]
Supplementary +12V straight to the card instead of powerdraw from the motherboard - should prevent any melting with multiple GPUs :D

Guess I'm stacking the PCB ones /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
Should be getting these as the flexible ones... up to 19cm /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> seeing about getting them to custom build longer ones.

Supplementary +12V straight to the card instead of powerdraw from the motherboard - should prevent any melting with multiple GPUs :D

Guess I'm stacking the PCB ones /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Posted 08/23/2011 01:48 AM   
Good luck with your upcoming setup!
Good luck with your upcoming setup!

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 08/24/2011 10:51 AM   
Lol

It's gonna be big :D.

The lass from Meitk says that they can make the 30cm ones I'm after :D - just asking now if they make custom PCB extender ones.

Cannot recommend them as of yet - since the order hasn't been finalised & I don't have the parts... but the customer service /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Mights as well ask this here aswell: 2x GPUs on x16 (SLI or Quad SLI) or 4x GPUs on x8 (4-way SLI)... Which be better? :)
Lol

It's gonna be big :D.

The lass from Meitk says that they can make the 30cm ones I'm after :D - just asking now if they make custom PCB extender ones.

Cannot recommend them as of yet - since the order hasn't been finalised & I don't have the parts... but the customer service /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Mights as well ask this here aswell: 2x GPUs on x16 (SLI or Quad SLI) or 4x GPUs on x8 (4-way SLI)... Which be better? :)

Posted 08/24/2011 03:44 PM   
Man Delta, what kind of beast are you constructing? I'm intrigued...

I'm also interested to know if those PCIe extenders will degrade the performance of a high-end GPU. Some say they do, others say the opposite. I need more feedback on them...

I'm bookmarking this one.
Man Delta, what kind of beast are you constructing? I'm intrigued...

I'm also interested to know if those PCIe extenders will degrade the performance of a high-end GPU. Some say they do, others say the opposite. I need more feedback on them...

I'm bookmarking this one.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 08/25/2011 07:13 AM   
Delta, SLI is always better at scaling than Quad or 4-way. 4-way is a total waste IMHO, and 3-way performs at about the same rate as Quad, given the lower performance of the dual GPU card :).
Delta, SLI is always better at scaling than Quad or 4-way. 4-way is a total waste IMHO, and 3-way performs at about the same rate as Quad, given the lower performance of the dual GPU card :).

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

Cooler Master HAF-X

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 08/25/2011 08:10 AM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='25 August 2011 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1314259834' post='1283987']
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity have you ever had 3 way / 4 way sli ?.
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='25 August 2011 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1314259834' post='1283987']

Just out of curiosity have you ever had 3 way / 4 way sli ?.

Posted 08/25/2011 10:51 AM   
nope. Couldnt afford it :(
nope. Couldnt afford it :(

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

Cooler Master HAF-X

Posted 08/25/2011 12:24 PM   
Well, Cathy's had a chat with one of the engineers - the longer cable shouldn't damage the GPU or the signal. That being said, in the early stages of this build (prolly sometime next year when I have all the parts - slow build /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> ) - I can give a few performance runs with and without the cables - see what they do to the performance.
It's worth noting that these cables have a direct +12V feed instead of running it from the motherboard - reduces the risk of frying the board when running multi GPUs.

The case is going to be a beast - modified Mountain Mods Extended Ascension (still planning the modded back panel with their guy)

The system is going to run atleast 4 monitors (2D / 3D surround plus accessory) - thus I need my SLI (2-way, 3-way, 4-way or quad) + an additional GPU. Since the new ones are due out before I'll have enough to buy multiple ones - I'm not sure what I'm after (was going to be GTX580s or GTX590s)
As for the motherboard - no idea yet, Gigabyte UD9 unless there is a suitable equivelant from socket 2011 /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> - need 7 PCIe x16 slots (will have to make do with some running at x8 though).

I'm not going to give all of the ideas away just yet /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> But it is going to be one of those builds to last a few years (I hope) lol
Well, Cathy's had a chat with one of the engineers - the longer cable shouldn't damage the GPU or the signal. That being said, in the early stages of this build (prolly sometime next year when I have all the parts - slow build /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> ) - I can give a few performance runs with and without the cables - see what they do to the performance.

It's worth noting that these cables have a direct +12V feed instead of running it from the motherboard - reduces the risk of frying the board when running multi GPUs.

The case is going to be a beast - modified Mountain Mods Extended Ascension (still planning the modded back panel with their guy)

The system is going to run atleast 4 monitors (2D / 3D surround plus accessory) - thus I need my SLI (2-way, 3-way, 4-way or quad) + an additional GPU. Since the new ones are due out before I'll have enough to buy multiple ones - I'm not sure what I'm after (was going to be GTX580s or GTX590s)

As for the motherboard - no idea yet, Gigabyte UD9 unless there is a suitable equivelant from socket 2011 /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> - need 7 PCIe x16 slots (will have to make do with some running at x8 though).

I'm not going to give all of the ideas away just yet /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> But it is going to be one of those builds to last a few years (I hope) lol

Posted 08/25/2011 01:33 PM   
Heh, I think my setup is gonna last a LONG time lol.
Heh, I think my setup is gonna last a LONG time lol.

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

Cooler Master HAF-X

Posted 08/25/2011 03:46 PM   
Sounds interesting Delta, are you going to be doing a work-log type of thing for this build ?
Sounds interesting Delta, are you going to be doing a work-log type of thing for this build ?

Posted 08/25/2011 08:22 PM   
Going to attempt to (phone camera is a bit poop) /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Going to attempt to (phone camera is a bit poop) /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 08/25/2011 09:03 PM   
I have been wandering what you were planning but i was patient and did'nt ask.

If gtx580's have a slight bottleneck in an x8 slot would'nt the gtx590's have more of one?
I have been wandering what you were planning but i was patient and did'nt ask.

If gtx580's have a slight bottleneck in an x8 slot would'nt the gtx590's have more of one?

Posted 08/25/2011 10:44 PM   
Prolly...

If I end up using the UD9, I'll have the following combos available:
Slot 1 = x16
Slot 2 = not in use
Slot 3 = x16
Slot 4 = not in use
Slot 7 = x16
Or
Slot 1 = x8
Slot 2 = x8
Slot 3 = x8
Slot 4 = x8
Slot 7 = x16
Slot 7 being for the extra monitors. Or I suppose combine 2@ x16 plus one @ x8 for SLI and the other x8 for the extra monitors...? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
Prolly...

If I end up using the UD9, I'll have the following combos available:

Slot 1 = x16

Slot 2 = not in use

Slot 3 = x16

Slot 4 = not in use

Slot 7 = x16

Or

Slot 1 = x8

Slot 2 = x8

Slot 3 = x8

Slot 4 = x8

Slot 7 = x16

Slot 7 being for the extra monitors. Or I suppose combine 2@ x16 plus one @ x8 for SLI and the other x8 for the extra monitors...? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 08/25/2011 11:01 PM   
If you could use quad sli it would make it easier but every time i think quad i remember the fiasco i had when msi sent two 9800gx2's to replace my 8800ultra's.I swore then that would be my last quad adventure.
If you could use quad sli it would make it easier but every time i think quad i remember the fiasco i had when msi sent two 9800gx2's to replace my 8800ultra's.I swore then that would be my last quad adventure.

Posted 08/25/2011 11:13 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top