Asus 1015PN IO2, Linux and the 500Mhz graphics clock Graphics clock won't go over 405Mhz under L
Does anyone have any suggestions? --
With an Asus 1015pn /ion2 card my graphics clock won't go to 500Mhz ( Performance Level 2 ) under Linux.
Under Win7 is has no problem going to 500Mhz. I have tried various kernels, various nvidia drivers, and the coolbits option with no luck.
Currently I'm runner 3.0.1 linus kernel with 208.13 nvidia driver and mandriva cooker.

Thanks
Does anyone have any suggestions? --

With an Asus 1015pn /ion2 card my graphics clock won't go to 500Mhz ( Performance Level 2 ) under Linux.

Under Win7 is has no problem going to 500Mhz. I have tried various kernels, various nvidia drivers, and the coolbits option with no luck.

Currently I'm runner 3.0.1 linus kernel with 208.13 nvidia driver and mandriva cooker.

Thanks

Posted 08/12/2011 06:39 PM   
Any progress on this?

I have the same problem, just got a 1015PN and it is awesome, but i am missing top performance 1080p & gaming because mine also only uses performance level 0 & 1, but never goes to 2... this means that i can only play 720p and gaming is ok but can be much better.
This is the ONLY thing missing from this netbook...

Kernel: 2.6.35-32

I don't mind trying newer ubuntu or other dist if this can be fixed
Any progress on this?

I have the same problem, just got a 1015PN and it is awesome, but i am missing top performance 1080p & gaming because mine also only uses performance level 0 & 1, but never goes to 2... this means that i can only play 720p and gaming is ok but can be much better.

This is the ONLY thing missing from this netbook...

Kernel: 2.6.35-32

I don't mind trying newer ubuntu or other dist if this can be fixed

Posted 02/21/2012 12:31 PM   
No progress, unfortunately. The 1015PN makes a decent HTPC with XBMC and haven't had any performance issues.
Still, I would like to see a solution to this. Please post back if you find anything! Thanks.
No progress, unfortunately. The 1015PN makes a decent HTPC with XBMC and haven't had any performance issues.

Still, I would like to see a solution to this. Please post back if you find anything! Thanks.

Posted 02/21/2012 02:57 PM   
got 1080p to work [url="http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153361&page=2"]justlinux.com/[/url] my post #23, a little guide on getting it to work.

Still missing the top speed on GPU for games
got 1080p to work justlinux.com/ my post #23, a little guide on getting it to work.

Still missing the top speed on GPU for games

Posted 02/23/2012 12:59 PM   
I did some searching and reading up on pretty much everywhere and what i found it that this netbook is limited to 405MHz (im thinking cooling here), the 12" (1215N) should run full 500MHz.

When you ran windows are you sure that it went to 500MHz?, i got this 1015 second hand, and just booted up once to win7 and then got a reminder on why i moved to linux 3+ years ago, and quickly put 10.10 on it and cleared every shred of windows on it
I did some searching and reading up on pretty much everywhere and what i found it that this netbook is limited to 405MHz (im thinking cooling here), the 12" (1215N) should run full 500MHz.

When you ran windows are you sure that it went to 500MHz?, i got this 1015 second hand, and just booted up once to win7 and then got a reminder on why i moved to linux 3+ years ago, and quickly put 10.10 on it and cleared every shred of windows on it

Posted 03/09/2012 01:13 AM   
I'm pretty sure. When I first got this machine I connected it to the flat screen to watch a couple of movies. One of them was extremely glitchy under linux to the point where it was unwatchable. I tried xine, vlc, and mplayer with no luck. Under windows with vlc, it played just fine. I tinkered with the performance settings under linux and compared them with windows and this is when I noticed the clock speed difference.

I searched the web pretty hard for any clues. I tried tweaking NVidia server options via the x-config file, recompiling the kernel, and fiddling with the gart settings. Since I've been using xbmc performance hasn't been an issue when watching movies.

Rebooted to win and double checked: Graphics clock - 500Mhz, memory clock - 700Mhz, processor clock - 1070Mhz.
I'm pretty sure. When I first got this machine I connected it to the flat screen to watch a couple of movies. One of them was extremely glitchy under linux to the point where it was unwatchable. I tried xine, vlc, and mplayer with no luck. Under windows with vlc, it played just fine. I tinkered with the performance settings under linux and compared them with windows and this is when I noticed the clock speed difference.

I searched the web pretty hard for any clues. I tried tweaking NVidia server options via the x-config file, recompiling the kernel, and fiddling with the gart settings. Since I've been using xbmc performance hasn't been an issue when watching movies.

Rebooted to win and double checked: Graphics clock - 500Mhz, memory clock - 700Mhz, processor clock - 1070Mhz.

Posted 03/09/2012 02:43 PM   
Well now that i found the way using my favourite player "mplayer" to play 1080p i don't have any performance issues, Nvidia settings in linux also report 500MHz like windows does, i just don't think that even windows goes to '11' anyway but just reports the clock speed that it would be "able" to "use", now to get to 500MHz i do think that this netbook have to be physical hacked or have some SPECIAL bios layered on it, all i can find is that the cooling in the 10" is not sufficient, and the degrees showing also confirms this, they don't call me dr_frost for being cool hehe, and to 12" will run full 500MHz but as far as i can see nobody have gotten Nvidia graphics to work in linux so this is a deal beaker.

So again to achieve 500MHz on the 1015PN you will need to BEEF up cooling and literally hack the mainboard or bios to allow it to use the last performance step.

Another thing: now that you have dual boot, if you could try some games to see if there where any performance difference in that area, just to lay this to rest, im thinking of something like:
Warcraft 3 or WOW even
Flatout (any version)
Doom 3
Or just generally any decent performance game (graphics)
And for best results try a game where you can actually do a benchmark to compare FPS
Well now that i found the way using my favourite player "mplayer" to play 1080p i don't have any performance issues, Nvidia settings in linux also report 500MHz like windows does, i just don't think that even windows goes to '11' anyway but just reports the clock speed that it would be "able" to "use", now to get to 500MHz i do think that this netbook have to be physical hacked or have some SPECIAL bios layered on it, all i can find is that the cooling in the 10" is not sufficient, and the degrees showing also confirms this, they don't call me dr_frost for being cool hehe, and to 12" will run full 500MHz but as far as i can see nobody have gotten Nvidia graphics to work in linux so this is a deal beaker.

So again to achieve 500MHz on the 1015PN you will need to BEEF up cooling and literally hack the mainboard or bios to allow it to use the last performance step.

Another thing: now that you have dual boot, if you could try some games to see if there where any performance difference in that area, just to lay this to rest, im thinking of something like:

Warcraft 3 or WOW even

Flatout (any version)

Doom 3

Or just generally any decent performance game (graphics)

And for best results try a game where you can actually do a benchmark to compare FPS

Posted 03/10/2012 11:58 AM   
The machine definitely has heating issues. I use windows once in a blue moon to run the leapfrog connectivity software, but other than that it just takes up space. I think I'll take your suggestion and try Doom 3 in win versus Linux.
The machine definitely has heating issues. I use windows once in a blue moon to run the leapfrog connectivity software, but other than that it just takes up space. I think I'll take your suggestion and try Doom 3 in win versus Linux.

Posted 03/10/2012 04:15 PM   
Doom 3, if anything, is running more smoothly under Linux.

Posted 03/12/2012 07:16 PM   
[quote name='dcm-lucky-otto' date='12 March 2012 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1331579794' post='1381798']
[/quote]

hehehe, i wouldn't be surprised about that, if the general windows "gamers" just knew about the combination of linux and wine, on my setups i can play all games i did in windows, and performance is the same or better.

Thanks for this, this now confirms that there [u]ARE[/u] no more performance gains to achieve for this netbook, it does not and will not (without some serious hacking/modding) use 500MHz on the ION2, not in windows or linux, it was throttled down from ASUS since the ION2 GPU cooler is not sufficient enough to handle the full heat of the ION2

So for linux users out there reading this post, yes you can get a 1015PN and use it to it's full potential (don't know about bluetooth, haven't tested it since i don't use it...), if you want a "small" netbook with lots of POWER then it is a good choice, just don't get it if you always sit with you laptop/netbook in your lab cause this will set fire to you, seriously it not only get's hot it is pretty much hot all the time.
[quote name='dcm-lucky-otto' date='12 March 2012 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1331579794' post='1381798']

hehehe, i wouldn't be surprised about that, if the general windows "gamers" just knew about the combination of linux and wine, on my setups i can play all games i did in windows, and performance is the same or better.

Thanks for this, this now confirms that there ARE no more performance gains to achieve for this netbook, it does not and will not (without some serious hacking/modding) use 500MHz on the ION2, not in windows or linux, it was throttled down from ASUS since the ION2 GPU cooler is not sufficient enough to handle the full heat of the ION2

So for linux users out there reading this post, yes you can get a 1015PN and use it to it's full potential (don't know about bluetooth, haven't tested it since i don't use it...), if you want a "small" netbook with lots of POWER then it is a good choice, just don't get it if you always sit with you laptop/netbook in your lab cause this will set fire to you, seriously it not only get's hot it is pretty much hot all the time.

Posted 03/13/2012 01:05 AM   
hi,
why not you move to Joomla?
hi,

why not you move to Joomla?

messki678

Posted 04/19/2012 05:36 AM   
Scroll To Top