RaptoR's water-cooling adventure So it begins...
  1 / 7    
I've always wanted to try full water cooling, but have never had the cash to take the plunge.

Now, thanks to a generous donation from QaZaX I can finally get started.

RaptoR's Water-cooling Adventure - Day 1.

Today comprised of overlooking the components and my 800D chassis to make sure everything is going to fit nicely.

These are the parts that arrive after a 50-day epic from England:

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/30wau7m.jpg[/IMG]

After doing some quick size and position testing, I noticed a large issue with the 800D and the reservoir.

The parts that act as a ledge for optical drives block the res going in, as below:

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/28btxg8.jpg[/IMG]

So, they had to go. After a while with a file and some pliers, they were off.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/sbikd0.jpg[/IMG]

Onto the next issue. I only had 3 pairs of 30mm screws and 6 fans... rather than go with 2 screws per fan, I found a handy way to modify some other screws to fit:

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/14aie5c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2upp6ye.jpg[/IMG]

Now, to get everything in the case:

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/156wtwy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/15cc203.jpg[/IMG]

While I wait for my delivery of coolant, I am running an on-desk machine. Wooo!

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2r4liz9.jpg[/IMG]

May need to shorten some of the tubing, but that's enough work for today.

Assuming the courier arrives tomorrow (and it should), leak testing will begin tomorrow.

Hint, tips, suggestions and comments welcome :)

Thanks again for the parts QaZaX. [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif[/img]
I've always wanted to try full water cooling, but have never had the cash to take the plunge.

Today comprised of overlooking the components and my 800D chassis to make sure everything is going to fit nicely.

After doing some quick size and position testing, I noticed a large issue with the 800D and the reservoir.

The parts that act as a ledge for optical drives block the res going in, as below:

Onto the next issue. I only had 3 pairs of 30mm screws and 6 fans... rather than go with 2 screws per fan, I found a handy way to modify some other screws to fit:

Assuming the courier arrives tomorrow (and it should), leak testing will begin tomorrow.

Thanks again for the parts QaZaX. Image
Already hit my first snag - the 120mm with the nozzles at the bottom causes it to hit the GPU. Flipping it round required me to drop one 120mm fan off of the 240. Not to much of a biggie I guess.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/v58w04.jpg[/IMG]
Already hit my first snag - the 120mm with the nozzles at the bottom causes it to hit the GPU. Flipping it round required me to drop one 120mm fan off of the 240. Not to much of a biggie I guess.

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Thanks again for the parts QaZaX. [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif[/img]
[/quote]
I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

On a more serious note, I haven't seen Qazax around in a while. What's he up to these days?

You seem to be off to a pretty good start, the Obsidian needs a little bit of a clean though. /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

I'd say that you don't really need the 120mm radiator for just the i7, the single 240mm should be more than enough. Black Ice GTXs are some pretty excellent radiators if you have the air-flow yo get the most out of them.

Speaking of which, you may want to switch some of your fans around to intakes. The 800D doesn't exactly have the greatest intake options and a bit more air in the case couldn't hurt your GTX580s at all.

[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1313038241' post='1277803']
[/quote]
*Looks at i7 970, two GTX580s, Corsair 800D, ASUS Rampage III and ASUS VG236H. Has confused face.*

[quote]
[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/sbikd0.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
YOU HAVE DEFILED THE 800D! YOU SHALL PERISH IN THE FIERY DEPTHS OF HELL!

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Thanks again for the parts QaZaX. Image

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

On a more serious note, I haven't seen Qazax around in a while. What's he up to these days?

You seem to be off to a pretty good start, the Obsidian needs a little bit of a clean though. /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

I'd say that you don't really need the 120mm radiator for just the i7, the single 240mm should be more than enough. Black Ice GTXs are some pretty excellent radiators if you have the air-flow yo get the most out of them.

Speaking of which, you may want to switch some of your fans around to intakes. The 800D doesn't exactly have the greatest intake options and a bit more air in the case couldn't hurt your GTX580s at all.

[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1313038241' post='1277803']

*Looks at i7 970, two GTX580s, Corsair 800D, ASUS Rampage III and ASUS VG236H. Has confused face.*

YOU HAVE DEFILED THE 800D! YOU SHALL PERISH IN THE FIERY DEPTHS OF HELL!

Posted 08/11/2011 09:33 AM   
To fully water cool my setup with me buying everything would cost around the same as BOTH GTX580s.

And yes, the drive bay is a little messy, but meh. Can't see in there. I wish they woulda made it outta thinner, easier to bend metal though...

I was thinking of just ditching the 120mm, but it would kinda be a shame not to use it. I'll decide when the coolant gets here I guess...

Fan layout was based off the 'standard' 800D layout as shown here:

[img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1036/corsair_obsidian_airflow2.jpg[/img]

I kinda didn't want to be dumping all the hot Rad air over the RAM / mobo and then into the GPUs. That layout also reduces dust build up.
To fully water cool my setup with me buying everything would cost around the same as BOTH GTX580s.

And yes, the drive bay is a little messy, but meh. Can't see in there. I wish they woulda made it outta thinner, easier to bend metal though...

I was thinking of just ditching the 120mm, but it would kinda be a shame not to use it. I'll decide when the coolant gets here I guess...

I kinda didn't want to be dumping all the hot Rad air over the RAM / mobo and then into the GPUs. That layout also reduces dust build up.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1313055380' post='1277860']

[img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1036/corsair_obsidian_airflow2.jpg[/img]

[/quote]
Wow, that's rather a lot then. I know the two full coverage blocks and back-plates, CPU water block, 360mm radiator, pump and reservoir cost only a little more than the two HD6950s in my friend's system.

The standard 800D layout is alright if you don't add any extra fans to it. The only place air is being actively forced in to the case is that 140mm fan in the bottom and that's impaired by the division between the "cooling" zones. If you could add another XtraFlo to the top as an intake that could provide some benefit.

As I'm sure you've found out, the other fans will pull air from absolutely anywhere that they can get it from. I've found that putting a filter on the top 360mm radiator mount and using it as an intake is actually the best way of keeping the amount of dust in the case. Doing so feeds the other fans with plenty of air and ensures that it isn't drawn in from other unfiltered holes in the case.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1313055380' post='1277860']

Wow, that's rather a lot then. I know the two full coverage blocks and back-plates, CPU water block, 360mm radiator, pump and reservoir cost only a little more than the two HD6950s in my friend's system.

The standard 800D layout is alright if you don't add any extra fans to it. The only place air is being actively forced in to the case is that 140mm fan in the bottom and that's impaired by the division between the "cooling" zones. If you could add another XtraFlo to the top as an intake that could provide some benefit.

As I'm sure you've found out, the other fans will pull air from absolutely anywhere that they can get it from. I've found that putting a filter on the top 360mm radiator mount and using it as an intake is actually the best way of keeping the amount of dust in the case. Doing so feeds the other fans with plenty of air and ensures that it isn't drawn in from other unfiltered holes in the case.

Posted 08/11/2011 11:09 AM   
I have a thing against having fans in opposite directions on the same side of the case. It's all intake or all exhaust.
I use the 140mm rear that to give the bottom intake a bit of assistance.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/312k3z8.jpg[/IMG]

Anyways, vote?

240 w/ 3 fans + 120 with 2 fans
OR
240 w/ 4 fans
I have a thing against having fans in opposite directions on the same side of the case. It's all intake or all exhaust.

I use the 140mm rear that to give the bottom intake a bit of assistance.

Anyways, vote?

240 w/ 3 fans + 120 with 2 fans

OR

240 w/ 4 fans
[i]If you are strictly cooling the CPU I would drop the 120mm radiator completely. It will really only act as a flow regulator(causing restriction) with adding only minimal aid to the heat transfer, especially mounted to the rear(mostly internal exhaust). If you would like to configure a push/pull(x4 120mm) on the 240 Radiator, I would advise it given the location, and how tight the fins are you will loose CFM.

Configure as listed:

Reservoir - Water-Block - Radiator - Reservoir. I feel that could provide the best performance given its short transfer distance, and what you are working with. [/i]

[b]EDIT:[/b] [i]Let me know what you think.[/i]

-Hooks
If you are strictly cooling the CPU I would drop the 120mm radiator completely. It will really only act as a flow regulator(causing restriction) with adding only minimal aid to the heat transfer, especially mounted to the rear(mostly internal exhaust). If you would like to configure a push/pull(x4 120mm) on the 240 Radiator, I would advise it given the location, and how tight the fins are you will loose CFM.

Configure as listed:

Reservoir - Water-Block - Radiator - Reservoir. I feel that could provide the best performance given its short transfer distance, and what you are working with.

EDIT: Let me know what you think.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 08/11/2011 12:55 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 August 2011 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1313067334' post='1277942']
[i]If you are strictly cooling the CPU I would drop the 120mm radiator completely. It will really only act as a flow regulator(causing restriction) with adding only minimal aid to the heat transfer, especially mounted to the rear(mostly internal exhaust). If you would like to configure a push/pull(x4 120mm) on the 240 Radiator, I would advise it given the location, and how tight the fins are you will loose CFM.

Configure as listed:

Reservoir - Water-Block - Radiator - Reservoir. I feel that could provide the best performance given its short transfer distance, and what you are working with. [/i]

[b]EDIT:[/b] [i]Let me know what you think.[/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

I already had it set as:

[i]Reservoir - Water-Block - 240mm Radiator - 120mm Radiator - Reservoir[/i]
[i]
[/i]
I think I will take the advice and drop the 120mm

So that only leaves the question of the airflow direction.

Intake or Exhaust?
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 August 2011 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1313067334' post='1277942']

If you are strictly cooling the CPU I would drop the 120mm radiator completely. It will really only act as a flow regulator(causing restriction) with adding only minimal aid to the heat transfer, especially mounted to the rear(mostly internal exhaust). If you would like to configure a push/pull(x4 120mm) on the 240 Radiator, I would advise it given the location, and how tight the fins are you will loose CFM.

Configure as listed:

Reservoir - Water-Block - Radiator - Reservoir. I feel that could provide the best performance given its short transfer distance, and what you are working with.

EDIT: Let me know what you think.

-Hooks

I already had it set as:

Reservoir - Water-Block - 240mm Radiator - 120mm Radiator - Reservoir

Intake or Exhaust?
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1313100538' post='1278141']
I already had it set as:

[i]Reservoir - Water-Block - 240mm Radiator - 120mm Radiator - Reservoir[/i]
[i]
[/i]

Intake or Exhaust?
[/quote]

[i]Exhaust. You always want to push the warm circulated air out/away from the internal components. Bringing cool air in is good for the GPUs, and can be done separately. Usually pushing is more productive for cooling the radiator as well(unless using Ultra Kaze type), as the contact CFM aids in cooling the fins. I hope that helps bud. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1313100538' post='1278141']

I already had it set as:

Reservoir - Water-Block - 240mm Radiator - 120mm Radiator - Reservoir

Intake or Exhaust?

Exhaust. You always want to push the warm circulated air out/away from the internal components. Bringing cool air in is good for the GPUs, and can be done separately. Usually pushing is more productive for cooling the radiator as well(unless using Ultra Kaze type), as the contact CFM aids in cooling the fins. I hope that helps bud.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 08/12/2011 12:42 AM   
Exhaust it is.

Hoping for coolant to show up on my doorstep any sec...
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1313109873' post='1278193']
Exhaust it is.

[/quote][i]

Good deal, what are you using for the solution? [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1313109873' post='1278193']

Exhaust it is.

Good deal, what are you using for the solution?

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 08/12/2011 01:03 AM   
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1313111321' post='1278198']
TFC Freser VS.C Heat Carrier for the coolant.
[/quote][i]

I would go with a 5 month purge range for maintenance depending on usage. That water-block has fine plates. Of course, I am compulsive with water-cooling...so you can make your own decisions. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Look forward to the results, and preemptive congratulations on the water-cooling dive. Good luck with the rest of your tuning. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='11 August 2011 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1313111321' post='1278198']

TFC Freser VS.C Heat Carrier for the coolant.

I would go with a 5 month purge range for maintenance depending on usage. That water-block has fine plates. Of course, I am compulsive with water-cooling...so you can make your own decisions. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Look forward to the results, and preemptive congratulations on the water-cooling dive. Good luck with the rest of your tuning.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 08/12/2011 01:15 AM   
Yay for Raptor. Our little guy is finally learning to swim in the oceans of coolant and pvc tubes.

I had mine on intake. Works best. Get's hyper dirty though. Ill need to find a filter for rad for my upcomming build though...
Yay for Raptor. Our little guy is finally learning to swim in the oceans of coolant and pvc tubes.

I had mine on intake. Works best. Get's hyper dirty though. Ill need to find a filter for rad for my upcomming build though...
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='11 August 2011 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1313112129' post='1278202']

[/quote]

[i]Filters restrict airflow, and cause higher degrees of circular accumulation to the central fan area. Radiators simply require a 6 month to a year removal and air blasting depending on severity of accumulation.[/i]

EDIT: [i]It is a good idea to do full re-build maintenance of the loop every 6 months or so. Excessive by most, but it is a good practice. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='11 August 2011 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1313112129' post='1278202']

Filters restrict airflow, and cause higher degrees of circular accumulation to the central fan area. Radiators simply require a 6 month to a year removal and air blasting depending on severity of accumulation.

EDIT: It is a good idea to do full re-build maintenance of the loop every 6 months or so. Excessive by most, but it is a good practice.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 08/12/2011 01:28 AM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top