Question on Ambient Occlusion in NVIDIA Control Panel
I've looked around for an answer to this question and I can't seem to find one. Hope someone that knows what they are talking about can give me a hand.

I remember when they first added the ambient occlusion setting into Nvidia Control Panel. It was either ON or disabled. And by default it was disabled. For the very small # of games that supported it you had to enable it manually in NVIDIA control panel to see the occlusion in game.... there was never a setting in game to enable it. Later they added the performance or quality settings.

Now many games that are out have an option in game to enable Ambient Occlusion and at different levels. My question is, if you leave Ambient Occlusion at disabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel and you go into a game say like Dirt 3 or Shogun 2 and you have Ambient Occlusion ON or High or whatever within the game settings....is it truly enabled? Or does having it disabled in the control panel mean that there is no ambient occlusion period?

Meaning if its disabled in the control panel you don't see any occlusion in game.

I can't seem to see any difference between turning ambient occlusion to Quality in the Control Panel along with it turned to the highest quality in Dirt 3's settings than if I turn it off in the control panel and leave it on in the game. I'd like to find out what is happening here. The reason I bring this up is I have a strange performance issue with my GTX 590 while playing Dirt 3 that goes away if I disable ambient occlusion in the control panel but keep all the settings turned on and at their highest in the game. The issue is: Its almost like the game starts going in fast forward in certain parts of the rally course and it seems to be in frames/parts of the stage where the ambient occlusion is utilized at its highest (like in areas where the sun is coming through trees and there is lots of grass etc.). Its not on all stages just certain ones. There is no lag its like the opposite the game goes from normal speed to fast and back again making it really hard to keep control. I never drop below 50 fps with the game maxed out. I've been gaming for years and this is a first, i've seen it have this fast forward effect if it is trying to catch up but it never slows down below normal fps. But as I said if I turn off Ambient occlusion in the control panel it seems to stop the issue.

I'm not too concerned with troubleshooting Dirt 3 though just the issue of this setting in the control panel. I keep everything at their defaults in the control panel's 3d settings except for turning on HIGH QUALITY for Texture Filtering - Quality and ambient occlusion to QUALITY.

But this is besides the point...I ask about this as there isn't a setting to let the application decide to use ambient occlusion or not its either disabled/enabled or not available for the application according to the profile in control panel. So does the game's ambient occlusion displayed regardless if it is set on or not in the control panel.

lol Its hard to search for issues like this so I must ask. I hope someone can explain if I need to have this on or not to get the full eye candy from these newer games with ambient occlusion available in the game settings.

My control panel settings screenshot are attached if that helps:
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/controlpanel1.jpg/][IMG]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2749/controlpanel1.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I've looked around for an answer to this question and I can't seem to find one. Hope someone that knows what they are talking about can give me a hand.

I remember when they first added the ambient occlusion setting into Nvidia Control Panel. It was either ON or disabled. And by default it was disabled. For the very small # of games that supported it you had to enable it manually in NVIDIA control panel to see the occlusion in game.... there was never a setting in game to enable it. Later they added the performance or quality settings.

Now many games that are out have an option in game to enable Ambient Occlusion and at different levels. My question is, if you leave Ambient Occlusion at disabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel and you go into a game say like Dirt 3 or Shogun 2 and you have Ambient Occlusion ON or High or whatever within the game settings....is it truly enabled? Or does having it disabled in the control panel mean that there is no ambient occlusion period?

Meaning if its disabled in the control panel you don't see any occlusion in game.

I can't seem to see any difference between turning ambient occlusion to Quality in the Control Panel along with it turned to the highest quality in Dirt 3's settings than if I turn it off in the control panel and leave it on in the game. I'd like to find out what is happening here. The reason I bring this up is I have a strange performance issue with my GTX 590 while playing Dirt 3 that goes away if I disable ambient occlusion in the control panel but keep all the settings turned on and at their highest in the game. The issue is: Its almost like the game starts going in fast forward in certain parts of the rally course and it seems to be in frames/parts of the stage where the ambient occlusion is utilized at its highest (like in areas where the sun is coming through trees and there is lots of grass etc.). Its not on all stages just certain ones. There is no lag its like the opposite the game goes from normal speed to fast and back again making it really hard to keep control. I never drop below 50 fps with the game maxed out. I've been gaming for years and this is a first, i've seen it have this fast forward effect if it is trying to catch up but it never slows down below normal fps. But as I said if I turn off Ambient occlusion in the control panel it seems to stop the issue.

I'm not too concerned with troubleshooting Dirt 3 though just the issue of this setting in the control panel. I keep everything at their defaults in the control panel's 3d settings except for turning on HIGH QUALITY for Texture Filtering - Quality and ambient occlusion to QUALITY.

But this is besides the point...I ask about this as there isn't a setting to let the application decide to use ambient occlusion or not its either disabled/enabled or not available for the application according to the profile in control panel. So does the game's ambient occlusion displayed regardless if it is set on or not in the control panel.

lol Its hard to search for issues like this so I must ask. I hope someone can explain if I need to have this on or not to get the full eye candy from these newer games with ambient occlusion available in the game settings.

My control panel settings screenshot are attached if that helps:

Attachments

Control Panel 1.JPG

CPU: Intel Core I7 950

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 REV 2.0

MEM: 6gb OCZ Gold XTC 1600 MHz

GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified

HDD0: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda XT Sata 6G

Audio: Corsair HS1 USB Headset/ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtremegamer

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

CPU Cooling: Coolermaster V8

Monitors: Acer GD235HZ & HP W2007

Posted 07/28/2011 04:33 PM   
Ambient occlusion causes many bugs on games, turning it off on control panel solve most of problems. I dont know about turning it off you still could have it on games, I believe not. As I understand the Performance settings is similar to App Controlled, Quality is similar to force on, and off is force off.

Only tried on Fable 3, put it on Quality the game looks much better, but lag about every 10 seconds, turn it to performance the amount of AO was decreased but was still there, I believe it was the normal AO of the game run by the game options and not the control panel, and turn it off remove AO from the game even with the same ingame settings, the difference on visual was noticiable, and game now lags less frequently.

So I think its that way it works.
Ambient occlusion causes many bugs on games, turning it off on control panel solve most of problems. I dont know about turning it off you still could have it on games, I believe not. As I understand the Performance settings is similar to App Controlled, Quality is similar to force on, and off is force off.

Only tried on Fable 3, put it on Quality the game looks much better, but lag about every 10 seconds, turn it to performance the amount of AO was decreased but was still there, I believe it was the normal AO of the game run by the game options and not the control panel, and turn it off remove AO from the game even with the same ingame settings, the difference on visual was noticiable, and game now lags less frequently.

MB: Intel DH55HC

CPU: Intel i7 860, 3.2 GHz + Akasa Nero 2 + Viper Fan

RAM: Kingstone 2x 2 Gb, DDR 3, 1333 MHz

PSU: Seventeam V-Force Series 850W

GPU: Evga GTX 580 772/1544/2004(4008)

SPU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

HD: Samsung 1 Tb, 32 Mb, SaTA II

DVD: LG Blue Ray

CASE: Aerocool BX-500, 7 fans

GPAD: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

MOUSE: CM Sentinel Advance

KEY: Logitech G15

MON: LG Flatron E2350, 1920 x 1080 res

SO: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

DRIV: Forceware 285.62

Posted 07/29/2011 07:20 PM   
[quote name='Sinfatus' date='29 July 2011 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1311967224' post='1272330']

[/quote]

Thanks for replying. It would be nice if there was some sort of documentation or better description for this in the NCP. But being that its just now being included in certain games I can understand.... Cryostatis and Company of Heroes are the only games out of the 30 or so I have installed that has a profile that needs Ambient Occlusion turned on in their profiles or even allows it. Even Fable III and Dirt 3 say on their individual profiles that Ambient Occlusion is not supported. I'll try performance. I should be able to max out these games at 1680x1050 no problems and I'm not experiencing any "lag" like the settings are too much I'm more interested in how this option works in the control panel.

I sure would like to hear a definitive answer on this and I know you would too. Thanks for posting your experience though its always good to hear your perspectives.
[quote name='Sinfatus' date='29 July 2011 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1311967224' post='1272330']

Thanks for replying. It would be nice if there was some sort of documentation or better description for this in the NCP. But being that its just now being included in certain games I can understand.... Cryostatis and Company of Heroes are the only games out of the 30 or so I have installed that has a profile that needs Ambient Occlusion turned on in their profiles or even allows it. Even Fable III and Dirt 3 say on their individual profiles that Ambient Occlusion is not supported. I'll try performance. I should be able to max out these games at 1680x1050 no problems and I'm not experiencing any "lag" like the settings are too much I'm more interested in how this option works in the control panel.

I sure would like to hear a definitive answer on this and I know you would too. Thanks for posting your experience though its always good to hear your perspectives.

CPU: Intel Core I7 950

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 REV 2.0

MEM: 6gb OCZ Gold XTC 1600 MHz

GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified

HDD0: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda XT Sata 6G

Audio: Corsair HS1 USB Headset/ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtremegamer

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

CPU Cooling: Coolermaster V8

Monitors: Acer GD235HZ & HP W2007

Posted 07/29/2011 10:57 PM   
Scroll To Top