Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered
  1 / 3    
Okay so whenever I play a game on my computer that is actually demanding my graphics driver crashes and I get this message, "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". I don't know what to do to fix this, my card the GTX 580 (3gig) isn't overheating. Whenever I play a game it will freeze, when this happens I can Control alt delete my way out, but usually the screen goes completely black and I can still here the audio. When the screen goes black strange red square shapes appear on the screen and the only way I can escape is through a Manuel reboot. When I reboot my computer sometimes the red squares return mildly in the background of just the regular windows desktop. What should I do? I've included a picture I took with my phone of the red squares so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Here are my specs:
CAS: *Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 4x SATA Hot-Swap Drive Bays

CPU: Intel Cort i7-970 3.20 GHz 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA 1366

Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

HDD: 128 GB A-Data S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk

HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Memory: 12GB (2BGx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module

Motherboard: *(3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireXUltra Durable Tripple-Chanel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2xSATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

PowerSupply: *1,000 Watts - Corsair HX1000W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Video: NVIDIA geForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card
Okay so whenever I play a game on my computer that is actually demanding my graphics driver crashes and I get this message, "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". I don't know what to do to fix this, my card the GTX 580 (3gig) isn't overheating. Whenever I play a game it will freeze, when this happens I can Control alt delete my way out, but usually the screen goes completely black and I can still here the audio. When the screen goes black strange red square shapes appear on the screen and the only way I can escape is through a Manuel reboot. When I reboot my computer sometimes the red squares return mildly in the background of just the regular windows desktop. What should I do? I've included a picture I took with my phone of the red squares so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Here are my specs:

CAS: *Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 4x SATA Hot-Swap Drive Bays

CPU: Intel Cort i7-970 3.20 GHz 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA 1366

Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

HDD: 128 GB A-Data S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk

HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Memory: 12GB (2BGx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module

Motherboard: *(3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireXUltra Durable Tripple-Chanel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2xSATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

PowerSupply: *1,000 Watts - Corsair HX1000W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Video: NVIDIA geForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card

Posted 07/02/2011 06:46 PM   
Bump! I really need help with this, I don't know what to do.
Bump! I really need help with this, I don't know what to do.

Posted 07/03/2011 08:10 PM   
I can't promise this will help you at all, but the last time I saw this error with any regularity, it was because of defective memory. Not video card memory, system memory. Doesn't mean that is the problem in your case, but at least worth investigating.
I can't promise this will help you at all, but the last time I saw this error with any regularity, it was because of defective memory. Not video card memory, system memory. Doesn't mean that is the problem in your case, but at least worth investigating.

Posted 07/04/2011 03:32 AM   
I see it's a 3Gb card, what make and model is it ? if it's a factory overclocked one it might be an unstable overclock.
I see it's a 3Gb card, what make and model is it ? if it's a factory overclocked one it might be an unstable overclock.

Posted 07/04/2011 02:39 PM   
had a similar kind of problems. I had to uninstall from the device manager, take out the card, and reseat it. or take it out and put it back in in my noob terms. xD

just make sure you have the new drivers AVAILABLE, like in the desktop so you can install again with no problems. and unless you got a 3d monitor, don't even install those drivers.
had a similar kind of problems. I had to uninstall from the device manager, take out the card, and reseat it. or take it out and put it back in in my noob terms. xD

just make sure you have the new drivers AVAILABLE, like in the desktop so you can install again with no problems. and unless you got a 3d monitor, don't even install those drivers.

Posted 07/04/2011 02:53 PM   
No, my card is not overclocked and I thought that I was pretty clear when I stated the model as the "NVIDIA geForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card". And Just out of curiosity how would reseating my gpu stop this problem?
No, my card is not overclocked and I thought that I was pretty clear when I stated the model as the "NVIDIA geForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card". And Just out of curiosity how would reseating my gpu stop this problem?

Posted 07/06/2011 04:54 AM   
Nvidia generally don't make graphic cards, that's why we asked

card manufacturers like EVGA,PNY,GIGABYTE,GALAXY,Zotac,...etc do

read
http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hardware_support.html

best buy cards only
http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_gtx-560ti-gts-450-us.html
Nvidia generally don't make graphic cards, that's why we asked

card manufacturers like EVGA,PNY,GIGABYTE,GALAXY,Zotac,...etc do

read

http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hardware_support.html

best buy cards only

http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_gtx-560ti-gts-450-us.html

ImageImage

Join the NVidia Forum Team - Please Help Medical Research - Folding@home

Posted 07/06/2011 05:31 AM   
Oh, well I just looked it up. My GPU is: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E.
Oh, well I just looked it up. My GPU is: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E.

Posted 07/06/2011 02:58 PM   
So the clocks are 772/1544/2004 and the voltage should be between 1.0v and 1.038v.
Try an older driver like the 270.61.
So the clocks are 772/1544/2004 and the voltage should be between 1.0v and 1.038v.

Try an older driver like the 270.61.

Posted 07/06/2011 05:59 PM   
I've got an EVGA GTX 570 sitting in an ASUS Z68 v-pro with a 2600k proc. that I've just built and I am having the same problem. OP please respond if you find an answer... this is really frustrating. Is your build recent? Also, my graphics card does seem to be at least semi-functional because it will breeze though tough benchmarks and can render demanding games at a high framerate before having the problem. However, in the end, it always does have the problem...
I've got an EVGA GTX 570 sitting in an ASUS Z68 v-pro with a 2600k proc. that I've just built and I am having the same problem. OP please respond if you find an answer... this is really frustrating. Is your build recent? Also, my graphics card does seem to be at least semi-functional because it will breeze though tough benchmarks and can render demanding games at a high framerate before having the problem. However, in the end, it always does have the problem...

Posted 07/06/2011 06:38 PM   
I had exactly the same problem, was running 270.61 without any issues at all, upgraded to 275.33 and boom I kept getting "...driver has stopped responding and has recovered..." followed by a system crash whenever I did anything that demanded the slightest bit of gfx processing (browsing the web, opening firefox, sometimes even at boot, running furmark, anything basically). So I rolled back to the 270.61 drivers which I know worked perfectly before... and guess what, the same bloody problem!!

I just couldn't understand it, were the 275.33 drivers not removed properly? was it a windows update that caused this? who knows! So I decided to go back another version of the driver, to the 266.58 whql version, and voila, no more issues! It actually got so bad that I had to boot into safe mode to uninstall the drivers, I noticed that after uninstalling the drivers that the "NVIDIA Corporation" folder was still present (with files!) in both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" so I renamed these folders (while in safe mode) and then rebooted back into windows to install the 266.58 drivers.

Here's a direct link, from my research this version does seem to be one the most stable releases of recent times:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

Hope this helps.
I had exactly the same problem, was running 270.61 without any issues at all, upgraded to 275.33 and boom I kept getting "...driver has stopped responding and has recovered..." followed by a system crash whenever I did anything that demanded the slightest bit of gfx processing (browsing the web, opening firefox, sometimes even at boot, running furmark, anything basically). So I rolled back to the 270.61 drivers which I know worked perfectly before... and guess what, the same bloody problem!!

I just couldn't understand it, were the 275.33 drivers not removed properly? was it a windows update that caused this? who knows! So I decided to go back another version of the driver, to the 266.58 whql version, and voila, no more issues! It actually got so bad that I had to boot into safe mode to uninstall the drivers, I noticed that after uninstalling the drivers that the "NVIDIA Corporation" folder was still present (with files!) in both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" so I renamed these folders (while in safe mode) and then rebooted back into windows to install the 266.58 drivers.

Here's a direct link, from my research this version does seem to be one the most stable releases of recent times:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

Hope this helps.

Posted 07/07/2011 03:32 AM   
I am having the same issue and it is driving me insane.

Intel Core I7 2600k
Asus P8P67 M pro
Asus GTX570 HD
8gb Corsair Ram
Agility3 SSD
Corsair 750w psu
Win7 64Bit

Driver crash comes and goes, it will let me watch a couple movies back to back with no issues but open the simplest of things and boom driver 275.33 has stopped and recovered over and over.

Any fixes for this? I have cleaned out and fresh installed the driver a few times to no resolve...
I am having the same issue and it is driving me insane.

Intel Core I7 2600k

Asus P8P67 M pro

Asus GTX570 HD

8gb Corsair Ram

Agility3 SSD

Corsair 750w psu

Win7 64Bit

Driver crash comes and goes, it will let me watch a couple movies back to back with no issues but open the simplest of things and boom driver 275.33 has stopped and recovered over and over.

Any fixes for this? I have cleaned out and fresh installed the driver a few times to no resolve...

Posted 07/11/2011 04:18 AM   
I too have this issue. It just randomly started one day. No amount of cleaning/reinstalling or rolling back to older drivers would fix it. I eventually did a clean reinstall of windows and all was ok.

At first I thought it was one of my cards being faulty but both tested OK individually. I thought it may have been the PCI slot so I swapped them around and still both were OK.

It was fine for a month and then all of a sudden today, it begins again. Not even doing anything, just loading the desktop after login would result in the crash. I do the same thing, uninstall the drivers in safe mode, go back into windows, run driver sweeper and CCleaner. I then reinstall the 266.58 drivers as mentioned in this thread and all seems OK for now (I also opted not to install the 3D drivers and ticked the clean install box from within the driver installer). I had one crash of the nvidia driver when I re-enabled SLI, but no BSOD from it. (normally it crashes in rapid succession then BSOD).

Ive just rebooted and played a short video and loaded a few programs, no crashing. WTF is causing the driver corruption Nvidia? An answer would be nice.

My Setup:
i7 950 stock.
Asus Rampage III Formula
2x Gigabyte GTX 570 factory OC
6GB corsair triple channel
Win 7 Pro x64
WD 1TB Sata3 6GB
Antec True Power Quattro 1000W
I too have this issue. It just randomly started one day. No amount of cleaning/reinstalling or rolling back to older drivers would fix it. I eventually did a clean reinstall of windows and all was ok.

At first I thought it was one of my cards being faulty but both tested OK individually. I thought it may have been the PCI slot so I swapped them around and still both were OK.

It was fine for a month and then all of a sudden today, it begins again. Not even doing anything, just loading the desktop after login would result in the crash. I do the same thing, uninstall the drivers in safe mode, go back into windows, run driver sweeper and CCleaner. I then reinstall the 266.58 drivers as mentioned in this thread and all seems OK for now (I also opted not to install the 3D drivers and ticked the clean install box from within the driver installer). I had one crash of the nvidia driver when I re-enabled SLI, but no BSOD from it. (normally it crashes in rapid succession then BSOD).

Ive just rebooted and played a short video and loaded a few programs, no crashing. WTF is causing the driver corruption Nvidia? An answer would be nice.

My Setup:

i7 950 stock.

Asus Rampage III Formula

2x Gigabyte GTX 570 factory OC

6GB corsair triple channel

Win 7 Pro x64

WD 1TB Sata3 6GB

Antec True Power Quattro 1000W

Posted 07/13/2011 12:00 AM   
update. I had another crash since, but no BSOD, so its a little more manageable, but still highly annoying nonetheless.

I have removed one stick of ram from my machine and thus far no crashes at all. Ive disabled and re-enabled sli, ran videos, opened some video editing progs etc.
Its not a random windows update either has I have the automatic updates disabled since I did the last clean reinstall.

(just trying to provide as much info as possible)
update. I had another crash since, but no BSOD, so its a little more manageable, but still highly annoying nonetheless.

I have removed one stick of ram from my machine and thus far no crashes at all. Ive disabled and re-enabled sli, ran videos, opened some video editing progs etc.

Its not a random windows update either has I have the automatic updates disabled since I did the last clean reinstall.

(just trying to provide as much info as possible)

Posted 07/13/2011 12:30 AM   
I know this is reaching, but check all you SATA cables and make sure their plugged in all the way.
I know this is reaching, but check all you SATA cables and make sure their plugged in all the way.

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 07/13/2011 12:41 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top