Possible DX11 Driver Crash
Hi,
I've recently been playing Dirt 3, and occasionally the display driver crashes whilst the game is running. At first I had thought that this was simply a problem with the game, as there is a known issue with the Ego engine (the engine for Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and F1 2010) and DX11, however with the release of Crysis 2's DX11 patch yesterday I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't related to the display drivers. I can't run Crysis 2 for more than 2-3 minutes in DX11 without the display driver crashing, the same issue that has plagued Dirt 3, however Borderlands, which is DX9, has no issues. So far I've tried both the 275.33 WHQL and 275.50 Beta drivers, and both cause crashes in Crysis 2 in DX11. DX9 works fine, but as soon as I switch to DX11 the game crashes, usually within 30-60 seconds of loading into a level. Here's my system specs:

i7-950 @ 3.45GHz
Gigabyte GTX 570 @ 780 core, 1560 shader, 1900 memory (factory overclock)
Gigabyte 8800GT (PhysX, not used in Dirt 2 or Crysis 2)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
6GiB DDR3-1600 (currently clocked at 1200)
Windows 7 Pro x64

I'm going to go test if Dirt 3 will crash under DX9, since the crash is somewhat more intermittent (though it's always the display driver that crashes, not the game itself), and see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Hi,

I've recently been playing Dirt 3, and occasionally the display driver crashes whilst the game is running. At first I had thought that this was simply a problem with the game, as there is a known issue with the Ego engine (the engine for Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and F1 2010) and DX11, however with the release of Crysis 2's DX11 patch yesterday I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't related to the display drivers. I can't run Crysis 2 for more than 2-3 minutes in DX11 without the display driver crashing, the same issue that has plagued Dirt 3, however Borderlands, which is DX9, has no issues. So far I've tried both the 275.33 WHQL and 275.50 Beta drivers, and both cause crashes in Crysis 2 in DX11. DX9 works fine, but as soon as I switch to DX11 the game crashes, usually within 30-60 seconds of loading into a level. Here's my system specs:

i7-950 @ 3.45GHz

Gigabyte GTX 570 @ 780 core, 1560 shader, 1900 memory (factory overclock)

Gigabyte 8800GT (PhysX, not used in Dirt 2 or Crysis 2)

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

6GiB DDR3-1600 (currently clocked at 1200)

Windows 7 Pro x64

I'm going to go test if Dirt 3 will crash under DX9, since the crash is somewhat more intermittent (though it's always the display driver that crashes, not the game itself), and see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Posted 06/28/2011 09:24 AM   
Give 3dmark 11 a try. It's DirectX 11 too and should make good use out of shaders and tessellation.

I don't think the issue is with drivers though, because I have not had any DX11 crashes.

If your card is overclocked beyond NVIDIA's specs, underclock it for testing.
Give 3dmark 11 a try. It's DirectX 11 too and should make good use out of shaders and tessellation.

I don't think the issue is with drivers though, because I have not had any DX11 crashes.

If your card is overclocked beyond NVIDIA's specs, underclock it for testing.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 06/28/2011 11:20 AM   
Setting the card to the reference clocks seems to have done the trick with Crysis 2, was able to play for over half an hour without any problems, still it's pretty strange that it only happens with DX11, even running DX9 Crysis 2 was still enough to push the card to its maximum, so why the driver only crashes in DX11 is something that needs to be answered. For the moment I'll have to stick to slightly lower clocks, though it's only about 5% difference, but with DX11 in Crysis 2 the framerate has been hovering around 30 or so fps, so 5% can make a bit of difference. Thanks for your help nvtweakman.
Setting the card to the reference clocks seems to have done the trick with Crysis 2, was able to play for over half an hour without any problems, still it's pretty strange that it only happens with DX11, even running DX9 Crysis 2 was still enough to push the card to its maximum, so why the driver only crashes in DX11 is something that needs to be answered. For the moment I'll have to stick to slightly lower clocks, though it's only about 5% difference, but with DX11 in Crysis 2 the framerate has been hovering around 30 or so fps, so 5% can make a bit of difference. Thanks for your help nvtweakman.

Posted 06/28/2011 01:32 PM   
Glad to help. Good luck with those clock speeds. Sometimes I think the video card manufacturers just overclock a batch of cards (basically the clock speeds are modified in the video BIOS) without actually testing if those new speeds works properly...

It's possible that the DX11 games are using the hardware to its full potential and thus exposing problems that wouldn't have arisen at proper clock speeds (and/or voltage levels).
Glad to help. Good luck with those clock speeds. Sometimes I think the video card manufacturers just overclock a batch of cards (basically the clock speeds are modified in the video BIOS) without actually testing if those new speeds works properly...

It's possible that the DX11 games are using the hardware to its full potential and thus exposing problems that wouldn't have arisen at proper clock speeds (and/or voltage levels).

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 06/28/2011 03:04 PM   
[quote name='Black Patriot' date='28 June 2011 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1309267963' post='1257555']
[/quote]
oh my goodness - i'm having the exact same problems with the exact same card. Going to try fix it now - this is my facourite thread on the internet right now XD. Interestingly, i also have similar crashes in just cause 2 when using advnaced bokeh depth of field and cuda driven water effects. Could be the same issue.
[quote name='Black Patriot' date='28 June 2011 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1309267963' post='1257555']

oh my goodness - i'm having the exact same problems with the exact same card. Going to try fix it now - this is my facourite thread on the internet right now XD. Interestingly, i also have similar crashes in just cause 2 when using advnaced bokeh depth of field and cuda driven water effects. Could be the same issue.

Posted 07/01/2011 06:15 AM   
[quote name='Black Patriot' date='29 June 2011 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1309267963' post='1257555']
[/quote]

request a bios with increased 3dvoltage from the video card manufacturer
[quote name='Black Patriot' date='29 June 2011 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1309267963' post='1257555']

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 07/01/2011 11:52 PM   
Hi I am having the same trouble with my Asus GTX 580 (original version that came out November 2010). I [b]found a solution[/b] to fixing the random crash of Crysis 2 Dx11. If you have ASUS smart doctor installed make sure you enable the HyperDrive to temperature mode in the settings. So far its never crashed when playing it in HyperDrive.

Also when I was getting crashes. I was getting the message for a few seconds while the crash happend from smart doctor "VGA chipset fan isn't functioning well! Replacing with a new fan may be needed." As well as "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 275.50 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (yeh but never recovered my game dammit!!

Oh and try testing your monitor sync rate to 60hz if u have a higher rated monitor as mine did crash once or twice when i set it to 120hz!

Follow my post on overclockers here - i also screen shot it too.

[url="http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18291479"]http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18291479[/url]

Must be a driver issue not yet ready for Crysis 2 in DX11. I also was getting the same problem with Just Cause 2 after 5 mins of play same as elliotENGi except Bokeh Depth and Water Cuda seems fine.
Hi I am having the same trouble with my Asus GTX 580 (original version that came out November 2010). I found a solution to fixing the random crash of Crysis 2 Dx11. If you have ASUS smart doctor installed make sure you enable the HyperDrive to temperature mode in the settings. So far its never crashed when playing it in HyperDrive.

Also when I was getting crashes. I was getting the message for a few seconds while the crash happend from smart doctor "VGA chipset fan isn't functioning well! Replacing with a new fan may be needed." As well as "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 275.50 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (yeh but never recovered my game dammit!!

Oh and try testing your monitor sync rate to 60hz if u have a higher rated monitor as mine did crash once or twice when i set it to 120hz!

Follow my post on overclockers here - i also screen shot it too.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18291479

Must be a driver issue not yet ready for Crysis 2 in DX11. I also was getting the same problem with Just Cause 2 after 5 mins of play same as elliotENGi except Bokeh Depth and Water Cuda seems fine.

Posted 07/04/2011 08:00 AM   
[quote name='Sora' date='02 July 2011 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1309564356' post='1259000']
[/quote]

Seems to be the most likely culprit on some cards. (from what I've read on ATI cards also most likely) (I'm using a Gigabyte branded GTX 570)

I used nvidia inspector to nudge up the voltage. (idle) 0.91v - (load) 1.00v, nudged the max voltage up two notches to 1.038v)

Which solved all my issues, with no negative impact on the cards usual operating temperatures, still around 65c and fans on auto at 48% while running Crysis 2.
[quote name='Sora' date='02 July 2011 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1309564356' post='1259000']

Seems to be the most likely culprit on some cards. (from what I've read on ATI cards also most likely) (I'm using a Gigabyte branded GTX 570)

I used nvidia inspector to nudge up the voltage. (idle) 0.91v - (load) 1.00v, nudged the max voltage up two notches to 1.038v)

Which solved all my issues, with no negative impact on the cards usual operating temperatures, still around 65c and fans on auto at 48% while running Crysis 2.

Posted 07/05/2011 02:02 PM   
Scroll To Top