XFX 9600GT + 275.33 nVidia Fails Again
Anyone that plays EVE Online knows that the new Incarna update yesterday has changed the game's graphics significantly. This isn't a problem for the XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512mb card with the 260.99 Forceware drivers, or at least not much of one. In the character editor I noticed some texture artifacting and decided it was time for a driver update.

I uninstalled all nVidia related products/drivers and used Driver Sweeper 3.1.0 in Safe Mode to make sure my computer was clean, then proceeded to install the 275.33 package after a reboot.

Now, everything seems to be fine at my Desktop until I try to change my 3D Application Settings in the nVidia Control Panel. The NCP locks up and I have to kill the process. It's like the window gets stuck constantly refreshing itself and will not respond to anything. The nVidia Driver Helper Services etc etc are all running fine. This does not happen with the 260.99 package. This has happened with every driver package released by nVidia for the GeForce 9600 GT that I have tried SINCE THE FRICKEN 260.99 VERSION. Also, the texture artifacting in EVE Online at the character editor got WORSE. This is WHY I've been stuck with 260.99 for like forever.

Attempts to get an update through XFX's website mirrored a link to nVidia's hosted driver package here. So that didn't help.

When are we 9600 GT users going to get a driver update that doesn't suck?

I used to be a major nVidia fanboy constantly recommending nVidia cards over ATI but lately I'm starting to have serious reservations about doing that anymore. Over the last 10 years I've watched the quality of this company's work fail more and more every year. WTF guys? This really isn't fair.

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
Pentium 4 Prescott HT 3.5ghz
2gb Corsair DDR2/667 @ 4-4-4-12
XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512mb PCIe x16 w/ drivers 275.33
MSI P4M890M Motherboard
Anyone that plays EVE Online knows that the new Incarna update yesterday has changed the game's graphics significantly. This isn't a problem for the XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512mb card with the 260.99 Forceware drivers, or at least not much of one. In the character editor I noticed some texture artifacting and decided it was time for a driver update.

I uninstalled all nVidia related products/drivers and used Driver Sweeper 3.1.0 in Safe Mode to make sure my computer was clean, then proceeded to install the 275.33 package after a reboot.

Now, everything seems to be fine at my Desktop until I try to change my 3D Application Settings in the nVidia Control Panel. The NCP locks up and I have to kill the process. It's like the window gets stuck constantly refreshing itself and will not respond to anything. The nVidia Driver Helper Services etc etc are all running fine. This does not happen with the 260.99 package. This has happened with every driver package released by nVidia for the GeForce 9600 GT that I have tried SINCE THE FRICKEN 260.99 VERSION. Also, the texture artifacting in EVE Online at the character editor got WORSE. This is WHY I've been stuck with 260.99 for like forever.

Attempts to get an update through XFX's website mirrored a link to nVidia's hosted driver package here. So that didn't help.

When are we 9600 GT users going to get a driver update that doesn't suck?

I used to be a major nVidia fanboy constantly recommending nVidia cards over ATI but lately I'm starting to have serious reservations about doing that anymore. Over the last 10 years I've watched the quality of this company's work fail more and more every year. WTF guys? This really isn't fair.

Windows 7 Ultimate x86

Pentium 4 Prescott HT 3.5ghz

2gb Corsair DDR2/667 @ 4-4-4-12

XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512mb PCIe x16 w/ drivers 275.33

MSI P4M890M Motherboard

Posted 06/22/2011 10:18 AM   
Scroll To Top