Bumblebee - Optimus for Linux Real offloading, not just switchable graphics
Fellow Linux users rejoice, you can now use your beloved Nvidia Optimus GPU!

Quoting from the OMG! UBUNTU! website ( http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/bumbleebee-brings-nvidia-optimus-gpu-switching-to-linux-users/ )

[quote]Ubuntu users with laptops housing NVIDIA’s “Optimus” technology, which allows Windows users to switch between Intel integrated graphics and NVIDIA’s own graphics chips as and when needed, may be interested to learn of a new open-source tool which aims to enable the feature on Linux.

Called ‘Bumblebee‘, the tool gives users the ability to ‘shut down’ the NVIDIA graphics card when not required and use the integrated graphics – ideal for word processing and basic web-browsing where long battery life is a boon; it can switch back to dedicated graphics when you need some GPU grunt and – rather impressively – it can use both cards at the same time so that each GPU handles a different task.

No auto-switching. Yet.

The ‘automatic graphics switching’ feature, which can intelligently use the appropriate graphics source depending on the application in use, isn’t available yet for Linux.

More information, along with details on how to get the very-much-in-development utility can be found @ [url="https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee"]github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee[/url][/quote]

I successfully installed it on my ASUS 1215N running Ubuntu 11.04, so I suggest you give it a shot too, as other distros and hardware models have been made to work with Bumblebee, and more are still being added!
Fellow Linux users rejoice, you can now use your beloved Nvidia Optimus GPU!

Quoting from the OMG! UBUNTU! website ( http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/bumbleebee-brings-nvidia-optimus-gpu-switching-to-linux-users/ )

Ubuntu users with laptops housing NVIDIA’s “Optimus” technology, which allows Windows users to switch between Intel integrated graphics and NVIDIA’s own graphics chips as and when needed, may be interested to learn of a new open-source tool which aims to enable the feature on Linux.

Called ‘Bumblebee‘, the tool gives users the ability to ‘shut down’ the NVIDIA graphics card when not required and use the integrated graphics – ideal for word processing and basic web-browsing where long battery life is a boon; it can switch back to dedicated graphics when you need some GPU grunt and – rather impressively – it can use both cards at the same time so that each GPU handles a different task.

No auto-switching. Yet.

The ‘automatic graphics switching’ feature, which can intelligently use the appropriate graphics source depending on the application in use, isn’t available yet for Linux.

More information, along with details on how to get the very-much-in-development utility can be found @ github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee

I successfully installed it on my ASUS 1215N running Ubuntu 11.04, so I suggest you give it a shot too, as other distros and hardware models have been made to work with Bumblebee, and more are still being added!

Posted 06/21/2011 11:08 PM   
Hey everyone,

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop, and there are almost no new laptops with Nvidia GPU, but without Optimus (except Quadro series, I guess). I've been reading a lot about bumblebee, but haven't found much information about performance from daily Optimus/bumblebee users. So it would be really nice if some bumblebee user could help me and answer my questions.

1. Performance: how does Nvidia's GPU perform (through optirun) compared to full Optimus support on Windows OR Intel's integrated GPU on Linux? Also, does optirun use Nvidia's proprietary drivers or Nouveau?

2. Battery life: how is it with both cards on and also how is it with the Nvidia's GPU turned off?

Hey everyone,

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop, and there are almost no new laptops with Nvidia GPU, but without Optimus (except Quadro series, I guess). I've been reading a lot about bumblebee, but haven't found much information about performance from daily Optimus/bumblebee users. So it would be really nice if some bumblebee user could help me and answer my questions.

1. Performance: how does Nvidia's GPU perform (through optirun) compared to full Optimus support on Windows OR Intel's integrated GPU on Linux? Also, does optirun use Nvidia's proprietary drivers or Nouveau?

2. Battery life: how is it with both cards on and also how is it with the Nvidia's GPU turned off?

Posted 08/06/2011 01:36 PM   
Hello!

It is so sad NVidia don't have any plans to support Optimus on Linux.
Actually it is frightening. My 70% value to choose NVidia used to be because they had better support for Linux than ATI and 30% because of a bit better graphics to m eyes.

I wish NVidia then supported bumblebee and made optimus enabled cards drivers opensource. Looks like small folks team from Linux user base has no fear for a challenge.

Anyway, I am a bit upset, no official Linux support, my software on Windows see Intel card first, I am unable to use CUDA GPUs because the setting to enable NVIdia for my 3D software makes no difference whether it is turned on or turned off. I really love NVidia graphic cards but I am no longer feeling as comfortable as used to be.

Since I am left with Bumblebee and Linux, I am still not liking Windows, does anyone know how to solve a problem of Linux going to only text mode after installing bumblebee and NVidia driver? Since many people are enjoying bumblebee, I must have missed something, I installed bumblebee, but I was unable to run its GUI, after the reboot I could only run text mode of linux, but from what I understood bumblebee was working, it detected it as a running process.

Thank you for your time!
regards
Hello!

Actually it is frightening. My 70% value to choose NVidia used to be because they had better support for Linux than ATI and 30% because of a bit better graphics to m eyes.

I wish NVidia then supported bumblebee and made optimus enabled cards drivers opensource. Looks like small folks team from Linux user base has no fear for a challenge.

Anyway, I am a bit upset, no official Linux support, my software on Windows see Intel card first, I am unable to use CUDA GPUs because the setting to enable NVIdia for my 3D software makes no difference whether it is turned on or turned off. I really love NVidia graphic cards but I am no longer feeling as comfortable as used to be.

Since I am left with Bumblebee and Linux, I am still not liking Windows, does anyone know how to solve a problem of Linux going to only text mode after installing bumblebee and NVidia driver? Since many people are enjoying bumblebee, I must have missed something, I installed bumblebee, but I was unable to run its GUI, after the reboot I could only run text mode of linux, but from what I understood bumblebee was working, it detected it as a running process.

Thank you for your time!

regards

Posted 08/06/2011 04:13 PM   
15So true

[quote name='Danas_Anis' date='06 August 2011 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1312647198' post='1275743']

[/quote]
So true, i bought my Laptop with NVIDIA because i WANTED Nvidia. Not any more.
15So true

[quote name='Danas_Anis' date='06 August 2011 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1312647198' post='1275743']

So true, i bought my Laptop with NVIDIA because i WANTED Nvidia. Not any more.

Posted 09/11/2011 04:04 AM   
go there http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201764

and fill in the questionnaire and complain at the end.
go there http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201764

and fill in the questionnaire and complain at the end.

Posted 09/15/2011 09:16 AM   
Scroll To Top