Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. GTX 460
Hello. I am posting as I am concerned for the stability of my system.

My spec:

Phenom II B55 @ 3.6ghz
4GB DDR3
GTX 460 Cyclone
600W OCZ Stealthxstream
1TB Spinpoint HD
Win 7 64bit Ultimate

I was playing WoW in windowed mode while watching a live stream and browsing the net. The screen then randomly turned black for 3-5 seconds, then switched back on with the message: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in the bottom corner. Everything except the live stream loaded fine, the live stream turned all green but still played sound.

I built the machine about 8 months ago, and have never had a single issue. No BSODs or any other driver crashes or random shutdowns etc. It is prime95 and furmark stable. I bought the GTX 460 about 4 months ago now, and have never had a single issue with the card, it runs great and very cool.

I immediately checked temps after the driver crash, my gpu is running 30-35c , cpu 38c, hd 20c, mobo 25c. My temps appear fine to me.

I recently upgraded to the latest drivers a week or so ago, could these be causing the issue? I hope it is not a hardware issue as I really can't afford to replace any of the components at this time.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you for your time.
Hello. I am posting as I am concerned for the stability of my system.

My spec:

Phenom II B55 @ 3.6ghz

4GB DDR3

GTX 460 Cyclone

600W OCZ Stealthxstream

1TB Spinpoint HD

Win 7 64bit Ultimate

I was playing WoW in windowed mode while watching a live stream and browsing the net. The screen then randomly turned black for 3-5 seconds, then switched back on with the message: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in the bottom corner. Everything except the live stream loaded fine, the live stream turned all green but still played sound.

I built the machine about 8 months ago, and have never had a single issue. No BSODs or any other driver crashes or random shutdowns etc. It is prime95 and furmark stable. I bought the GTX 460 about 4 months ago now, and have never had a single issue with the card, it runs great and very cool.

I immediately checked temps after the driver crash, my gpu is running 30-35c , cpu 38c, hd 20c, mobo 25c. My temps appear fine to me.

I recently upgraded to the latest drivers a week or so ago, could these be causing the issue? I hope it is not a hardware issue as I really can't afford to replace any of the components at this time.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you for your time.

Posted 06/18/2011 02:19 AM   
Small update. I was reading about this error on these forums and I found this quote:

[quote]Graphics software vendors:
• Ensure that the DirectX graphics application does not run at a low frames per second (FPS) rate. As the FPS decreases, the likelihood of the GPU getting reset increases. If the application is running at 10 FPS or lower and a complex graphics operation is about to start, then a flush can be inserted.
• For running benchmark tests on low-end GPUs, use the aforementioned registry keys that control the TDR timeout. Remember that they should not be used in production systems because it would affect overall system stability and robustness. Use these keys only as a final solution.[/quote]

Now, here's the thing. I had wow set to run at like 5fps when in the background, to avoid taxing my gpu when im doing other stuff. So playing in windowed mode, and clicking on the browser it would make wow go at 5fps. I'm in a battleground so it would make sense that a complex graphics operation would start. So it's possible i got the driver error due to wow running at 5fps yet still displaying a complex graphical operation and triggering the event to happen.

I'm not 100% sure as I say, I'm new to this and never had this error before. Just curious, do you think it's a possibility?
Small update. I was reading about this error on these forums and I found this quote:

Graphics software vendors:

• Ensure that the DirectX graphics application does not run at a low frames per second (FPS) rate. As the FPS decreases, the likelihood of the GPU getting reset increases. If the application is running at 10 FPS or lower and a complex graphics operation is about to start, then a flush can be inserted.

• For running benchmark tests on low-end GPUs, use the aforementioned registry keys that control the TDR timeout. Remember that they should not be used in production systems because it would affect overall system stability and robustness. Use these keys only as a final solution.

Now, here's the thing. I had wow set to run at like 5fps when in the background, to avoid taxing my gpu when im doing other stuff. So playing in windowed mode, and clicking on the browser it would make wow go at 5fps. I'm in a battleground so it would make sense that a complex graphics operation would start. So it's possible i got the driver error due to wow running at 5fps yet still displaying a complex graphical operation and triggering the event to happen.

I'm not 100% sure as I say, I'm new to this and never had this error before. Just curious, do you think it's a possibility?

Posted 06/18/2011 02:49 AM   
/shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' /> Wel, i had a problem which made the screen go dark/black/crash, and then the message with error code 4 or 8...
i think i may have solved youre problem.-
go to start. then type in "regedit" navigate through hkeylocalmachine-system-graphicsdrivers. then in the center of the sceen, riht click, and press new. choose "dword (32bts)" type in "TdrDelay". now right click the tdrdelay you have just made, and press edit. press the decimal, and type in 10. now close everything restart youre pc and magic, problems gone, f the probs solved, plz reply. and btw, if it happens again after it has benne solved, do the same thing every time u turn youre pc on...

Carl
/shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' /> Wel, i had a problem which made the screen go dark/black/crash, and then the message with error code 4 or 8...

i think i may have solved youre problem.-

go to start. then type in "regedit" navigate through hkeylocalmachine-system-graphicsdrivers. then in the center of the sceen, riht click, and press new. choose "dword (32bts)" type in "TdrDelay". now right click the tdrdelay you have just made, and press edit. press the decimal, and type in 10. now close everything restart youre pc and magic, problems gone, f the probs solved, plz reply. and btw, if it happens again after it has benne solved, do the same thing every time u turn youre pc on...

Carl

Posted 06/19/2011 10:02 AM   
Scroll To Top