NVIDIA Update COM object has stopped working Fix
"NVIDIA Update COM object has stopped working"

I had this problem after the latest drivers download. After searching around awhile, it seems quite a few people get this too. The error message keeps popping up time and time again. It appears that the application keeps looking for an update for the drivers and gets an Appcrash every time.

To fix this:
1. Right-click on desktop and select [b]NVIDIA Control Panel[/b].
2. Select [b]Help[/b] from the top toolbar.
3. In the drop down menu, select [b]Updates[/b].
4. Click on the [b]Preferences[/b] tab.
5. [u]UNCHECK[/u] the [b][i]Automatically check for updates [/i][/b]box
6. Click OK at the bottom and close the NVIDIA Control Panel window.
7. ** You might have to restart PC to ensure the settings take effect **

After I made this change, I do not get that error message at all. Hope this helps!

-Reed
"NVIDIA Update COM object has stopped working"

I had this problem after the latest drivers download. After searching around awhile, it seems quite a few people get this too. The error message keeps popping up time and time again. It appears that the application keeps looking for an update for the drivers and gets an Appcrash every time.

To fix this:

1. Right-click on desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

2. Select Help from the top toolbar.

3. In the drop down menu, select Updates.

4. Click on the Preferences tab.

5. UNCHECK the Automatically check for updates box

6. Click OK at the bottom and close the NVIDIA Control Panel window.

7. ** You might have to restart PC to ensure the settings take effect **

After I made this change, I do not get that error message at all. Hope this helps!

-Reed

Posted 06/11/2011 07:29 AM   
No problem for me, but it might be time to a fresh install of Windows if problems keep cropping up.
No problem for me, but it might be time to a fresh install of Windows if problems keep cropping up.

Posted 06/11/2011 01:55 PM   
DO NOT disable automatic updates!!!! I had the same problem. Anyone telling you to either re-install the Nvidia update program or to disable automatic updates is wrong! Download a program like Glarysoft utilities (I have a paid version, but I do believe the free version will do the following steps): ---> Advanced Tools (tab) ---> System Controls ---> Startup Items ---> Click on Nvtmru and click on delay This will delay the item trying to find whatever it is trying to find. Sometimes a program does not have the time to find a driver, which for example, has not yet been loaded! Hence the error. So, by delaying the startup, the driver or other item (depending on the program) will have the time to load them BEFORE the actual programs is requesting that specific driver.
DO NOT disable automatic updates!!!!

I had the same problem. Anyone telling you to either re-install the Nvidia update program or to disable automatic updates is wrong!

Download a program like Glarysoft utilities (I have a paid version, but I do believe the free version will do the following steps):

---> Advanced Tools (tab)
---> System Controls ---> Startup Items
---> Click on Nvtmru and click on delay

This will delay the item trying to find whatever it is trying to find. Sometimes a program does not have the time to find a driver, which for example, has not yet been loaded! Hence the error. So, by delaying the startup, the driver or other item (depending on the program) will have the time to load them BEFORE the actual programs is requesting that specific driver.

Posted 11/10/2013 05:58 PM   
Scroll To Top