GTX 295 - Error Code 8 - OpenGL Issue
  1 / 5    
I have started to get the following error message pretty consistently:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help.
Error code: 8"

The screen will go black for a moment and then recover. It will be accompanied by a message saying my driver has crashed but recovered. If I am playing a game, the game will be forced to close, but Firefox and other programs will usually be unaffected. It is happening most often when I attempt to play video on Firefox at the same as having other items open in the background, particularly Acrobat, Word, and Excel.

I'm using:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
GeForce 295 GTX
Direct X 11
Driver: 275.33 (I have been updating frequently to avoid it, it started with older drivers)

I have researched this problem extensively and have found nothing that could help. As I said, it has been getting worse.
I have started to get the following error message pretty consistently:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help.

Error code: 8"

The screen will go black for a moment and then recover. It will be accompanied by a message saying my driver has crashed but recovered. If I am playing a game, the game will be forced to close, but Firefox and other programs will usually be unaffected. It is happening most often when I attempt to play video on Firefox at the same as having other items open in the background, particularly Acrobat, Word, and Excel.

I'm using:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

GeForce 295 GTX

Direct X 11

Driver: 275.33 (I have been updating frequently to avoid it, it started with older drivers)

I have researched this problem extensively and have found nothing that could help. As I said, it has been getting worse.

Posted 06/10/2011 08:31 PM   
I find it really bizarre that I have a very specific error code, down to the number, and I can't find any support on this issue.

Edit: It is not an overheating issue. It just happened with the GPU temperatures at 64 and 62 C.
I find it really bizarre that I have a very specific error code, down to the number, and I can't find any support on this issue.

Edit: It is not an overheating issue. It just happened with the GPU temperatures at 64 and 62 C.

Posted 06/17/2011 12:46 AM   

Posted 06/17/2011 12:46 AM   
jscott991,

I have the same problem:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help
Error code 8

WITH the same drivers (275.33) and same OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

BUT on a Geforce 9800 GT.

I first noticed it as a crash early in-game (Trainz TS12), but seeing your reference to Furmark, I downloaded and ran it and in my case it crashed out in 2 seconds with:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

which I think you had summarised (though at a different time) in your postings.

Even DxDiag (in 64-bit mode) crashes (for me anyway) out if you ignore the warning that there appears to be problems with Direct3D and the advice to not check it. If I change NVIDIA Control Panel->Manage3D Settings->Vertical Sync to "force off" instead of "Use the 3D application setting" then DxDiag reports no problem or advice.

The game (Trainz TS12) can be run using DirectX rather than OpenGL, but then image (and text) quality is really Lo-Res to the point of text being unreadable and the game being pointless of course (so I don't know whether it actually crashes in that mode).

Mine is a new Windows-7 installation on a new quite high-end (i5-based, 8GB RAM) PC and it has been quite a steep learning curve upgrading from XP Pro 32-bit. Consequently, I had thought I had done something stupid like upgrading to DirectX 11 (which DxDiag says it is, whereas NVIDIA Control Panel says it is 10.0 and "realtech VR OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.0" says I should have 9.0c. I downloaded the (older) DirectX, but Windows 7 would not let me roll back and now I believe I understand why. Each version of DirectX contains the runtimes for the earlier versions (i.e. backwards compatibility) and it is up to the application to choose the highest one that will work for it.

So that leaves us with you and I and, I suspect, many others having similar problems, all with one cause:

>>> there is a really serious bug in the Version 275.33 (and probably some earlier) drivers THAT NVIDIA NEEDS TO RESOLVES SOON - please?

Does anyone know the most recent Nvidia driver that did NOT have this bug? *

Would those that have similar problems please post here (however briefly) so that we can confirm the extent of the problem?

All the best,

Peter.

--

* Does the NVIDIAweb site have older versions? Were they the same download for XP 32-bit and Windown 7 (64-bit)?

[quote name='jscott991' date='17 June 2011 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1308271593' post='1252855']

[/quote]
jscott991,

I have the same problem:

Error code 8

I first noticed it as a crash early in-game (Trainz TS12), but seeing your reference to Furmark, I downloaded and ran it and in my case it crashed out in 2 seconds with:

Even DxDiag (in 64-bit mode) crashes (for me anyway) out if you ignore the warning that there appears to be problems with Direct3D and the advice to not check it. If I change NVIDIA Control Panel->Manage3D Settings->Vertical Sync to "force off" instead of "Use the 3D application setting" then DxDiag reports no problem or advice.

The game (Trainz TS12) can be run using DirectX rather than OpenGL, but then image (and text) quality is really Lo-Res to the point of text being unreadable and the game being pointless of course (so I don't know whether it actually crashes in that mode).

Mine is a new Windows-7 installation on a new quite high-end (i5-based, 8GB RAM) PC and it has been quite a steep learning curve upgrading from XP Pro 32-bit. Consequently, I had thought I had done something stupid like upgrading to DirectX 11 (which DxDiag says it is, whereas NVIDIA Control Panel says it is 10.0 and "realtech VR OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.0" says I should have 9.0c. I downloaded the (older) DirectX, but Windows 7 would not let me roll back and now I believe I understand why. Each version of DirectX contains the runtimes for the earlier versions (i.e. backwards compatibility) and it is up to the application to choose the highest one that will work for it.

So that leaves us with you and I and, I suspect, many others having similar problems, all with one cause:

>>> there is a really serious bug in the Version 275.33 (and probably some earlier) drivers THAT NVIDIA NEEDS TO RESOLVES SOON - please?

Would those that have similar problems please post here (however briefly) so that we can confirm the extent of the problem?

All the best,

Peter.

--

* Does the NVIDIAweb site have older versions? Were they the same download for XP 32-bit and Windown 7 (64-bit)?

[quote name='jscott991' date='17 June 2011 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1308271593' post='1252855']

Posted 07/04/2011 06:11 PM   
--

[/quote]

PLEASE!!!!! I had no issues myself, open GL is important to my PC work, as I do a lot of 3d artwork as a freelance illustrator. My Windows bugged out the other day after my little boy pulled the plug on it whilst it was rendering a 3d image in blender, reboot... and well we all know windows... so out comes a fresh install from recovery disks, drivers for this and that yadda yadda, but I came straight to nvidia and the latest driver sucks, Exactly the same issue as you petewise, only difference is I'm using 3d software Blender, sculptris even happened using the GIMP, I'm only using a intel pentium duel-core with 4gb of ram and the ubiquitous 9800gt crapics card.
I am regreting not storing the old driver somewhere safe.Any Nvidia boffins have a remission for this catharsis?
--

PLEASE!!!!! I had no issues myself, open GL is important to my PC work, as I do a lot of 3d artwork as a freelance illustrator. My Windows bugged out the other day after my little boy pulled the plug on it whilst it was rendering a 3d image in blender, reboot... and well we all know windows... so out comes a fresh install from recovery disks, drivers for this and that yadda yadda, but I came straight to nvidia and the latest driver sucks, Exactly the same issue as you petewise, only difference is I'm using 3d software Blender, sculptris even happened using the GIMP, I'm only using a intel pentium duel-core with 4gb of ram and the ubiquitous 9800gt crapics card.

I am regreting not storing the old driver somewhere safe.Any Nvidia boffins have a remission for this catharsis?

Posted 07/07/2011 09:32 PM   
[quote name='peterwise' date='04 July 2011 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1309803060' post='1259992']
jscott991,

I have the same problem:

Error code 8

All the best,

Peter.

--

[/quote]
I started getting the same error as of yesterday July 10, 2011 when trying to play the Virtual Community - Second Life. The screen goes black for about a second and then comes back and windows tells me the Display Adapter Stopped Responding and has recovered. I get the error in a box : The Nvidia OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error code 8. The Second Life viewer is forced to close. Other opened applications if any such as Firefox seem unaffected. The system change I made before this stared was to install Adobe Reader.
[quote name='peterwise' date='04 July 2011 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1309803060' post='1259992']

jscott991,

I have the same problem:

Error code 8

All the best,

Peter.

--

I started getting the same error as of yesterday July 10, 2011 when trying to play the Virtual Community - Second Life. The screen goes black for about a second and then comes back and windows tells me the Display Adapter Stopped Responding and has recovered. I get the error in a box : The Nvidia OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error code 8. The Second Life viewer is forced to close. Other opened applications if any such as Firefox seem unaffected. The system change I made before this stared was to install Adobe Reader.

Posted 07/11/2011 03:25 PM   
OK, That's three of us. Where are the other 100's? Are we all under Windows 7? All 64-bit?

cupidstunt, you can find the "Beta and Archived Drivers" under the drivers for your GPU on the NVIDIA web pages. I had to go back two released versions from 275.33 to get my application to work with the GPU. I'm really in the same boat as you because this is going to start impacting my PhD (in Archaeology) research as I use a high-end GIS (Geographical Information System) for my work and it will also be impacted by this.

The following beta has the same problem, by the way. I hope someone from NVIDIA has noted this and has scheduled a fix.

Peter.
OK, That's three of us. Where are the other 100's? Are we all under Windows 7? All 64-bit?

cupidstunt, you can find the "Beta and Archived Drivers" under the drivers for your GPU on the NVIDIA web pages. I had to go back two released versions from 275.33 to get my application to work with the GPU. I'm really in the same boat as you because this is going to start impacting my PhD (in Archaeology) research as I use a high-end GIS (Geographical Information System) for my work and it will also be impacted by this.

The following beta has the same problem, by the way. I hope someone from NVIDIA has noted this and has scheduled a fix.

Peter.

Posted 07/12/2011 11:59 PM   
I am having probably the same problem. I don't remember seeing the error code. What I did read somewhere that directx 11 is not supported by gtx 295 and once recently I installed directx 11 for dragon age 2 and this issue started to come up every time when I launch any kind of video application let it be on firefox or just windows media player. However, the error does not come back after the first time, and everything will run smoothly after that.

VC: gtx 295
driver: 275.33(the latest one might got the number wrong)
I am having probably the same problem. I don't remember seeing the error code. What I did read somewhere that directx 11 is not supported by gtx 295 and once recently I installed directx 11 for dragon age 2 and this issue started to come up every time when I launch any kind of video application let it be on firefox or just windows media player. However, the error does not come back after the first time, and everything will run smoothly after that.

VC: gtx 295

driver: 275.33(the latest one might got the number wrong)

Posted 07/14/2011 09:24 PM   
Same problem for me for long time.

Win7 64 bits - gtx 285

Same error, same behaviour. Its long time since i got this and had to run the game on windows XP with no problem.

It happened with Civilization V, with Counter Strike and Battleground Europe, and suspect that with others. Only difference with Counter Strike is that the game came back after 5 secs of blackout.

Tried every Nvidia drivers from 196 to actual 275.33 and same thing. :-( Its not temperature for sure.

So for one yeasr I have been using Windows XP instead of W7. Arg.

Looked for answers or solutions since there and nothing.

Would be great a good test and solution on this.
Same problem for me for long time.

Win7 64 bits - gtx 285

Same error, same behaviour. Its long time since i got this and had to run the game on windows XP with no problem.

It happened with Civilization V, with Counter Strike and Battleground Europe, and suspect that with others. Only difference with Counter Strike is that the game came back after 5 secs of blackout.

Tried every Nvidia drivers from 196 to actual 275.33 and same thing. :-( Its not temperature for sure.

So for one yeasr I have been using Windows XP instead of W7. Arg.

Looked for answers or solutions since there and nothing.

Would be great a good test and solution on this.

Posted 07/17/2011 08:33 AM   
I backed off my GPU clock from 651 to 621 and games seem to be better now.

Doom 3 has show this problem and I think that the last batch of Windows updates changed the OpenGL interface this time around.
I backed off my GPU clock from 651 to 621 and games seem to be better now.

Doom 3 has show this problem and I think that the last batch of Windows updates changed the OpenGL interface this time around.

Posted 07/18/2011 02:40 AM   
We are investigating this reported issue.
We are investigating this reported issue.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 07/18/2011 12:30 PM   
Thanks for bringing that to our attention
Thanks for bringing that to our attention

Posted 07/18/2011 07:34 PM   
It appears we have fixed this issue in driver 275.59 and higher. Since the latest beta driver is version 275.50, it did not include this fix. However in the upcoming beta driver, it will include this fix.
It appears we have fixed this issue in driver 275.59 and higher. Since the latest beta driver is version 275.50, it did not include this fix. However in the upcoming beta driver, it will include this fix.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 07/18/2011 08:41 PM   
Thanks again for the update
Thanks again for the update

Posted 07/19/2011 12:25 AM   
[quote name='tbass' date='11 July 2011 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1310397903' post='1262920']
[/quote]

I get this same issue, and it has been going on for me for the past few driver updates. Only it doesn't only crash secondlife for me. I can actually run SL better when I update my drivers, but when I try to run anything else, or if I try to watch a YouTube video, I get this error:

Please visit http://www.nvidia.co...ge/support.html for help
Error code 8

If I used drivers that are about a year or so old, I can run YouTube just fine, and almost never crash, but my game performance in SL is at a staggering low.

Windows 7 Ult 64 bit
[quote name='tbass' date='11 July 2011 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1310397903' post='1262920']

I get this same issue, and it has been going on for me for the past few driver updates. Only it doesn't only crash secondlife for me. I can actually run SL better when I update my drivers, but when I try to run anything else, or if I try to watch a YouTube video, I get this error:

Please visit http://www.nvidia.co...ge/support.html for help

Error code 8

If I used drivers that are about a year or so old, I can run YouTube just fine, and almost never crash, but my game performance in SL is at a staggering low.

Windows 7 Ult 64 bit

Posted 07/20/2011 11:04 PM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top