Custom Resolution Doesn't work
I just got an Acer 3700 and hooked it up to my 55 inch Hitachi rear projections LCD HDTV, and am losing part of the desktop as a result of over scan. I am not able to adjust any settings on my TV to compensate, so I was trying to create a custom resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel...when I click 'test' my picture goes black and my TV doesn't display anything. Help!
I just got an Acer 3700 and hooked it up to my 55 inch Hitachi rear projections LCD HDTV, and am losing part of the desktop as a result of over scan. I am not able to adjust any settings on my TV to compensate, so I was trying to create a custom resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel...when I click 'test' my picture goes black and my TV doesn't display anything. Help!

Posted 06/03/2011 02:45 AM   
I cannot believe you would post this! Are you stupid or what! An Intel Atom with a Integrated NVIDIA ION! Man if you want a rig to perform the way you want to, build a real computer! [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif[/img]
I cannot believe you would post this! Are you stupid or what! An Intel Atom with a Integrated NVIDIA ION! Man if you want a rig to perform the way you want to, build a real computer! Image

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 06/03/2011 06:16 AM   
[quote name='techjesse' date='03 June 2011 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1307081786' post='1246463']
I cannot believe you would post this! Are you stupid or what! An Intel Atom with a Integrated NVIDIA ION! Man if you want a rig to perform the way you want to, build a real computer! [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Seriously, dude? You want to come in here--an official Nvidia forum--claiming a higher intellect over someone with a legitimate problem, [i]with an avatar like that[/i]? Come on. Dwayne Johnson? The guy known for having no acting talent and [url=http://www.cinemablend.com/new/10-Actors-Who-Don-t-Care-About-Movies-18962.html]don't care about movies[/url], and internet memes such as The Rock Driving and The Rock-Block ?

But let's not sink to the level of personal attacks. No one is stupid for choosing an HTPC to watch movies on the 55" big screen. Au contraire, it is actually smart these days to not build "a real computer". Why erect a tower of power that guzzles electricity, take up space and not mention, uglify up your living room, when a low watt, almost out-of-sight appliance set will do?

Is it a shame to have a dual core Atom powering your media hub? Many people will disagree. Certainly, you don't need an Intel Core "ad infinitum" to deliver HD content to your TV. In fact, it can be argued that you don't need a Core anything to play games either. We have consoles for that, and they do the job just fine. Personally I reserve my quad core beast for any kind of rendering. And those things take time, so ideally you'd want a second system. Would you like your second PC to look like the ugly-ass Frankenstein hard-on on your desk? I suppose The Rock might. Average people with any aesthetic sensibility however would balk at that idea.

That being said, I've come here looking for a solution from knowledgeable people (not you, Dwane) to fix that vexing No Custom Resolution problem with Optimus-driven laptops.

First off, it's not exclusive knowledge that just by scaling down from 1080p to 720p, hardware intensive games start getting higher framerates and becoming more playable. Some people don't even need 720p. Personally I'm comfortable with 480p. However, Nvidia driver makers obviously didn't see that resolution mode as legit enough for them, so they left it out. Well, we want it in. So, we Google to find out how, only to come here and see Dwane with his comment, with no follow-up.

The latest drivers don't give us much options. Intel driver has a selection that says Custom Resolution, except it doesn't work because (maybe) it's tied to Nvidia. (I observe this "Siamese Twins effect" thing from the days of Nvidia HybridPower, which is a real nightmare to work with.) Switch over to "NVIDIA control panel" (Why is Nvidia in caps BTW? Is NVIDIA an acronym?) and the controls there are horribly threadbare, unlike the usual Nvidia Control Panels. On the left NAV we have 2 items with 4 selections. No custom resolution.

We need lower rez to choose from. A 480p would be nice. So in a word, how?
[quote name='techjesse' date='03 June 2011 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1307081786' post='1246463']

I cannot believe you would post this! Are you stupid or what! An Intel Atom with a Integrated NVIDIA ION! Man if you want a rig to perform the way you want to, build a real computer! Image

Seriously, dude? You want to come in here--an official Nvidia forum--claiming a higher intellect over someone with a legitimate problem, with an avatar like that? Come on. Dwayne Johnson? The guy known for having no acting talent and don't care about movies, and internet memes such as The Rock Driving and The Rock-Block ?

But let's not sink to the level of personal attacks. No one is stupid for choosing an HTPC to watch movies on the 55" big screen. Au contraire, it is actually smart these days to not build "a real computer". Why erect a tower of power that guzzles electricity, take up space and not mention, uglify up your living room, when a low watt, almost out-of-sight appliance set will do?

Is it a shame to have a dual core Atom powering your media hub? Many people will disagree. Certainly, you don't need an Intel Core "ad infinitum" to deliver HD content to your TV. In fact, it can be argued that you don't need a Core anything to play games either. We have consoles for that, and they do the job just fine. Personally I reserve my quad core beast for any kind of rendering. And those things take time, so ideally you'd want a second system. Would you like your second PC to look like the ugly-ass Frankenstein hard-on on your desk? I suppose The Rock might. Average people with any aesthetic sensibility however would balk at that idea.

That being said, I've come here looking for a solution from knowledgeable people (not you, Dwane) to fix that vexing No Custom Resolution problem with Optimus-driven laptops.

First off, it's not exclusive knowledge that just by scaling down from 1080p to 720p, hardware intensive games start getting higher framerates and becoming more playable. Some people don't even need 720p. Personally I'm comfortable with 480p. However, Nvidia driver makers obviously didn't see that resolution mode as legit enough for them, so they left it out. Well, we want it in. So, we Google to find out how, only to come here and see Dwane with his comment, with no follow-up.

The latest drivers don't give us much options. Intel driver has a selection that says Custom Resolution, except it doesn't work because (maybe) it's tied to Nvidia. (I observe this "Siamese Twins effect" thing from the days of Nvidia HybridPower, which is a real nightmare to work with.) Switch over to "NVIDIA control panel" (Why is Nvidia in caps BTW? Is NVIDIA an acronym?) and the controls there are horribly threadbare, unlike the usual Nvidia Control Panels. On the left NAV we have 2 items with 4 selections. No custom resolution.

We need lower rez to choose from. A 480p would be nice. So in a word, how?

Posted 09/07/2011 12:43 PM   
Scroll To Top