I have an error with my display driver?
About 2 months ago, my computer had problems with it's display driver. The computer would turn on, and the Windows Vista loading sign would show, then later, I would get BSOD that says

"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed"

It also has to do with a file named nvlddmkm, and then I go to Device Manager, and under Display Adapter, I have NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS and there is a caution sign next to it. I also used Driver Sweeper to fix the problem, but now there are some stuff (mostly games) that I can't access to, Minecraft, Maplestory, etc.

Please help me very much, I'm 14 years old, so I don't know that much about computers.
About 2 months ago, my computer had problems with it's display driver. The computer would turn on, and the Windows Vista loading sign would show, then later, I would get BSOD that says

"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed"

It also has to do with a file named nvlddmkm, and then I go to Device Manager, and under Display Adapter, I have NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS and there is a caution sign next to it. I also used Driver Sweeper to fix the problem, but now there are some stuff (mostly games) that I can't access to, Minecraft, Maplestory, etc.

Please help me very much, I'm 14 years old, so I don't know that much about computers.

Posted 05/29/2011 05:30 PM   
Hi,

What driver version have you installed for your graphics card?

Also, what does the message say in your device manager under the 8400GS? (there must be some error message, since there is a caution next to it)
Hi,

Also, what does the message say in your device manager under the 8400GS? (there must be some error message, since there is a caution next to it)

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 05/29/2011 05:35 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 May 2011 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1306690544' post='1243983']
Hi,

[/quote]

Well, my driver version, I have 2 folders, but I don't know which one is installed, I have a folder that says

And there is only a setup for the 266.58.

And the message that says under the caution says

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 May 2011 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1306690544' post='1243983']

Hi,

Well, my driver version, I have 2 folders, but I don't know which one is installed, I have a folder that says

And there is only a setup for the 266.58.

And the message that says under the caution says

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Posted 05/29/2011 05:39 PM   
Oh, and I looked under my DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, and under Display, I have NO display driver because my old one gave my computer BSOD, and I used Driver Sweeper, should I download the most recent one?
Oh, and I looked under my DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, and under Display, I have NO display driver because my old one gave my computer BSOD, and I used Driver Sweeper, should I download the most recent one?

Posted 05/29/2011 05:43 PM   
You should download the latest drivers from the nvidia site for your platform (8400GS & Windows Vista). Then go into Control Panel > Programs Features to remove all NVIDIA products. Reboot when prompted.

Delete any existing 266.58 and 270.61 driver folders (except for file you just downloaded), as they are only wasting space.

Once your system is free of any nvidia software, run the new installer you just downloaded from the website and follow the instructions. If all has gone well, you should be able to play games now.
You should download the latest drivers from the nvidia site for your platform (8400GS & Windows Vista). Then go into Control Panel > Programs Features to remove all NVIDIA products. Reboot when prompted.

Delete any existing 266.58 and 270.61 driver folders (except for file you just downloaded), as they are only wasting space.

Once your system is free of any nvidia software, run the new installer you just downloaded from the website and follow the instructions. If all has gone well, you should be able to play games now.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 05/29/2011 05:46 PM   
Alright, I am running the installer as I type this. When I looked at the check list, graphics driver (I believe) was greyed out, but checked. The rest was checked, but isn't greyed out. Is that normal?
Alright, I am running the installer as I type this. When I looked at the check list, graphics driver (I believe) was greyed out, but checked. The rest was checked, but isn't greyed out. Is that normal?

Posted 05/29/2011 05:52 PM   
That's right. The graphics driver itself is [u]not[/u] an optional package, which is why you can't deselect it.
That's right. The graphics driver itself is not an optional package, which is why you can't deselect it.

Posted 05/29/2011 05:55 PM   
Well, I finished the installer, and now I got a message that says
NVIDIA Installer Failed.

NVIDIA Update 1.1.34 Not Installed
PhysX System Software 9.10.0514 Installed
3d Vision Controller Driver 270.61 Installed
NVIDIA Update Components 1.1.34 Failed
Graphics Driver 270.61 Installed
3d Vision Driver 270.61 Installed

Is this good or bad?
Well, I finished the installer, and now I got a message that says

NVIDIA Installer Failed.

NVIDIA Update 1.1.34 Not Installed

PhysX System Software 9.10.0514 Installed

3d Vision Controller Driver 270.61 Installed

NVIDIA Update Components 1.1.34 Failed

Graphics Driver 270.61 Installed

3d Vision Driver 270.61 Installed

Is this good or bad?

Posted 05/29/2011 05:57 PM   
It's not great, but according to that the only thing that failed were the update components. Those are optional anyways, and unnecessary for the graphics driver to function in games.

If you reboot and encounter problems again, don't forget that you can boot Windows in safe mode by pressing F8 at boot time.

It's quite possible that your computer has some bad component that needs replacing.
It's not great, but according to that the only thing that failed were the update components. Those are optional anyways, and unnecessary for the graphics driver to function in games.

If you reboot and encounter problems again, don't forget that you can boot Windows in safe mode by pressing F8 at boot time.

It's quite possible that your computer has some bad component that needs replacing.

Posted 05/29/2011 06:02 PM   
Scroll To Top