NVIDIA Update stops working - 275.27 beta AD Network Security policy
I'm running Win7 Enterprise x64 on a secure network under Active Directory. Install of 275.27 drivers and Update went fine, and Update seemed to start OK from the Help tab of NVCP. After reboots, I [u]think[/u] system/network policy stops Update from working. Whenever I invoke Update I get a MS C++ runtime error and then an Update crash. A reinstall of Update makes it temporarily work again, until the next reboot.

What are the default ownership and permissions supposed to be for the UpdateusUser profile directory? Is there a simple way for me to stop the Update crashes without having to modify security policy? I cannot assign the "Log on as a service" right to UpdateusUser using secpol.msc- it's grayed out.

Using GTX 460.

From Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: rundll32.exe_NvUpdt.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9e0
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000000000002aa8e
Faulting process id: 0x3b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc1aeda8c484e4
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: 08686eab-86e1-11e0-9d51-08002700a4cf

More:

The NVIDIA Update Service Daemon service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

More:

The nvUpdatusService service was unable to log on as .\UpdatusUser with the currently configured password due to the following error:
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Service: nvUpdatusService
Domain and account: .\UpdatusUser

This service account does not have the required user right "Log on as a service."

User Action

Assign "Log on as a service" to the service account on this computer. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.
I'm running Win7 Enterprise x64 on a secure network under Active Directory. Install of 275.27 drivers and Update went fine, and Update seemed to start OK from the Help tab of NVCP. After reboots, I think system/network policy stops Update from working. Whenever I invoke Update I get a MS C++ runtime error and then an Update crash. A reinstall of Update makes it temporarily work again, until the next reboot.

What are the default ownership and permissions supposed to be for the UpdateusUser profile directory? Is there a simple way for me to stop the Update crashes without having to modify security policy? I cannot assign the "Log on as a service" right to UpdateusUser using secpol.msc- it's grayed out.

Using GTX 460.

From Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: rundll32.exe_NvUpdt.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9e0

Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x000000000002aa8e

Faulting process id: 0x3b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc1aeda8c484e4

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

Report Id: 08686eab-86e1-11e0-9d51-08002700a4cf

More:

The NVIDIA Update Service Daemon service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not start due to a logon failure.

More:

The nvUpdatusService service was unable to log on as .\UpdatusUser with the currently configured password due to the following error:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Service: nvUpdatusService

Domain and account: .\UpdatusUser

This service account does not have the required user right "Log on as a service."

User Action

Assign "Log on as a service" to the service account on this computer. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.

Posted 05/25/2011 03:28 PM   
Scroll To Top