Beta 275.27 Drivers Overheating Issues The Witcher 2 Overheating Issues
  1 / 4    
Hi.
To start with - i own 3 pc configs :
1. E8400, GTX 260 65nm EVGA Superclocked, 4GB DDR2 Ram
2. i5, GTX 460 Zotac, 4GB DDR3 Ram
3. i7, GTX 580 EVGA, 6GB DDR3 Ram

I tested The Witcher 2 [as im fan of the Witcher universe and book series as well as games] on all the pcs i have acess to, and results on the new beta drivers are quite unussual one.

The game Overheat them so much.
For example GTX 260 went up in some cases to 97-98 C, 460 went up to 95-96 and 580 go up to 96-99.
This is not normal behavior, not even the extreme burning mode in furmark could push those rigs so high, not to mention other games [crysis 2 was so far the most "hot" game on my 3rd pc, it pushed the card to hit 83-84 degrees... comparing to 96-99 from the Witcher 2]

I asked the CDP Red about this issue, and after couple of mails from tech support they said its nvidia drivers fault, unless nvidia will aply proper fixes they cannot do much more about it.

So im asking - are you all aware of the problem and what will you do about it ?

And i already know im the the only one that have this issue, many other players reported the same behavior of GPU when playing the Witcher 2.
And i doubt anybody will give us a payback in case our GPUs will burn down am i right ?

So reasuming - when will you release some hot-fix, and are you even aware about the issue ?
Hi.

To start with - i own 3 pc configs :

1. E8400, GTX 260 65nm EVGA Superclocked, 4GB DDR2 Ram

2. i5, GTX 460 Zotac, 4GB DDR3 Ram

3. i7, GTX 580 EVGA, 6GB DDR3 Ram

I tested The Witcher 2 [as im fan of the Witcher universe and book series as well as games] on all the pcs i have acess to, and results on the new beta drivers are quite unussual one.

The game Overheat them so much.

For example GTX 260 went up in some cases to 97-98 C, 460 went up to 95-96 and 580 go up to 96-99.

This is not normal behavior, not even the extreme burning mode in furmark could push those rigs so high, not to mention other games [crysis 2 was so far the most "hot" game on my 3rd pc, it pushed the card to hit 83-84 degrees... comparing to 96-99 from the Witcher 2]

I asked the CDP Red about this issue, and after couple of mails from tech support they said its nvidia drivers fault, unless nvidia will aply proper fixes they cannot do much more about it.

So im asking - are you all aware of the problem and what will you do about it ?

And i already know im the the only one that have this issue, many other players reported the same behavior of GPU when playing the Witcher 2.

And i doubt anybody will give us a payback in case our GPUs will burn down am i right ?

So reasuming - when will you release some hot-fix, and are you even aware about the issue ?

Posted 05/22/2011 09:39 AM   
I've played for a while this morning, and my temps are normal. 58°C maximum according to MSI Afterburner. Asus GTX 460, Win7 x64

I have "ubersampling" off by the way, but all other eye-candy is on.
I've played for a while this morning, and my temps are normal. 58°C maximum according to MSI Afterburner. Asus GTX 460, Win7 x64

I have "ubersampling" off by the way, but all other eye-candy is on.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 05/22/2011 12:56 PM   
You played with on screen display ?
Or just checked the tempa fter turning the game off ?
Since its quite the difrence [the temp will drop down imidieatly after turning the aplicaton off... so checking the temp after playing is not equal t checking it in real time on screen display]

Still even so - i doubt my 3 rigs are malfunctioning, even furmakr didnt pushed those pcs so hard as witcher [and i doubt extreme burning mode is less heavy than the game load], not to mention the platform with i7 is almost brand new, only 2.5 week old pc so there is no way it could be the dust issue etc [not to mention all 3 pcs are clean as newborn baby ass, since i do maintance of them regularlly]
You played with on screen display ?

Or just checked the tempa fter turning the game off ?

Since its quite the difrence [the temp will drop down imidieatly after turning the aplicaton off... so checking the temp after playing is not equal t checking it in real time on screen display]

Still even so - i doubt my 3 rigs are malfunctioning, even furmakr didnt pushed those pcs so hard as witcher [and i doubt extreme burning mode is less heavy than the game load], not to mention the platform with i7 is almost brand new, only 2.5 week old pc so there is no way it could be the dust issue etc [not to mention all 3 pcs are clean as newborn baby ass, since i do maintance of them regularlly]

Posted 05/22/2011 01:02 PM   
[quote name='Pietro87' date='22 May 2011 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1306069366' post='1240853']so checking the temp after playing is not equal to checking it in real time on screen display[/quote]

MSI Afterburner records the max temperature in the hardware monitor graph. It was 58. It doesn't matter if OSD enabled or not, so long as Afterburner was running during the gaming session. But yes, I used the OSD too, and it was in the mid 50's most of the time. So, whatever makes your cards overheat has not affected me so far.

How are your GPU fan speeds during gaming? I would imagine they are loud when your cards get that hot? My GPU fan reached approx 65%, which obviously means the card isn't overheating (otherwise it'd be 100%).
[quote name='Pietro87' date='22 May 2011 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1306069366' post='1240853']so checking the temp after playing is not equal to checking it in real time on screen display

MSI Afterburner records the max temperature in the hardware monitor graph. It was 58. It doesn't matter if OSD enabled or not, so long as Afterburner was running during the gaming session. But yes, I used the OSD too, and it was in the mid 50's most of the time. So, whatever makes your cards overheat has not affected me so far.

How are your GPU fan speeds during gaming? I would imagine they are loud when your cards get that hot? My GPU fan reached approx 65%, which obviously means the card isn't overheating (otherwise it'd be 100%).

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 05/22/2011 02:33 PM   
Yup my fans are tuned up in riva tuner to have dynamic speed growt with the setting of hitting 100% when card reach 81 degrees.
And yes my fans runs 100% from the point 81 degrees is hited out.

Its quite strange all 3 rigs wich are quite difrent one from another suffer this issue and with only 1 game.
I tested the game settings as well, and results are the same - even on the minimal setting and only 720p resolution temps are very high - 88-91 degrees [its not as critical as 95-98 from the maxed out settings still its more than any other game reaches]

My usual temps when im gaming are around 65-75 degrees, except the crysis 1 and 2 wich pushed even my gtx260 with custom cooling to 84 degrees.
But nothing never ever pushed it to 90+ [except the current witcher 2]

And CDP statement was clear its nvidia drivers fault, thats why i asked here in the first place.

P.S.
Well i wasnt aware afterburner records maxed temps since i never used it [i use osd monitor from riva and hwmonitor for recording maxed out stats] so sorry for the misunderstanding.
Yup my fans are tuned up in riva tuner to have dynamic speed growt with the setting of hitting 100% when card reach 81 degrees.

And yes my fans runs 100% from the point 81 degrees is hited out.

Its quite strange all 3 rigs wich are quite difrent one from another suffer this issue and with only 1 game.

I tested the game settings as well, and results are the same - even on the minimal setting and only 720p resolution temps are very high - 88-91 degrees [its not as critical as 95-98 from the maxed out settings still its more than any other game reaches]

My usual temps when im gaming are around 65-75 degrees, except the crysis 1 and 2 wich pushed even my gtx260 with custom cooling to 84 degrees.

But nothing never ever pushed it to 90+ [except the current witcher 2]

And CDP statement was clear its nvidia drivers fault, thats why i asked here in the first place.

P.S.

Well i wasnt aware afterburner records maxed temps since i never used it [i use osd monitor from riva and hwmonitor for recording maxed out stats] so sorry for the misunderstanding.

Posted 05/22/2011 03:10 PM   
Go back to 270.61 drivers and see how are the temps there.
Go back to 270.61 drivers and see how are the temps there.

Posted 05/22/2011 06:57 PM   
Tested the previous WHQL drivers.. sadly the same results [tested them only on the 460 and 260.. since i didnt had time to revert the 580 back but i asume it will be the same on 580 too]
Tested the previous WHQL drivers.. sadly the same results [tested them only on the 460 and 260.. since i didnt had time to revert the 580 back but i asume it will be the same on 580 too]

Posted 05/22/2011 07:59 PM   
What in game 3d settings are you using? What NVIDIA 3D Control Panel settings have you changed? I haven't heard of this reported before. Is the inside of your PC case have proper airflow?
What in game 3d settings are you using? What NVIDIA 3D Control Panel settings have you changed? I haven't heard of this reported before. Is the inside of your PC case have proper airflow?

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 05/23/2011 01:41 AM   
That's odd. I don't have high temperatures with these drivers. Then again, I run my cards with 100% fan speed all the time which keeps them really cool.

Could it be that your ambient temperatures have risen a lot over the past few days and the system cooling can't cope with them?
That's odd. I don't have high temperatures with these drivers. Then again, I run my cards with 100% fan speed all the time which keeps them really cool.

Could it be that your ambient temperatures have risen a lot over the past few days and the system cooling can't cope with them?

System Specifications:Cooler Master HAF X Case | Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully-Modular 1200 Watt Power Supply | Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with four Corsair Fans in Push/Pull configuration | Gigabyte Killer Gaming G1.Assassin2 Mainboard | Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz | 32GB DDR3-1600 Quad Channel RAM (4x8GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9 Quad Channel Kit) | 2x EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate PCI-Express 3.0 Video Card SLi | LG E2750-PV 27" Full-HD LED Monitor @ 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi CA20k2 16MB X-RAM onboard | Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers | Bigfoot Networks Killer E2100 onboard Gaming NIC | 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATAII Solid State Disk | 1x 512GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB SATAIII Solid State Disk | 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT 7200.12 SATAIII HDD | 1x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATAIII HDD | LG BH10LS SATA BlueRay Writer | Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse | Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB Joystick | 4x Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows | 2x Wii Remote Plus & Nunchuck | Logitech MOMO® Racing Force Feedback Wheel | Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p | Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Service Pack 1, Windows Performance Index: 7.9) | Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

Posted 05/23/2011 07:06 AM   
Well im using quite good cases for my pcs, and extra fans instaled inside so i doubt it may be the bad airflow [once again - there is no othher game or software that shows such behavior except the witcher]

My old pc [the one with gtx260] is in the case : SilentiumPC Gladius 600 Pure Black
The one with 460 : Cooler Master Dominator II
ane the newest pc the one with gtx 580 : CoolerMaster Centurion 534

As i said, i didnt changed any settings in nvidia panel, leaved the default ones.
As in game - i tested all 4 game settings, and even on the minimal settings Witcher is stressing my card above any other software.

Temperatures after 45 minutes of gameplay on minimal settings : 91-94 degrees
Temperatures after 45 minutes of gameplay on maxed out settings [without ubbersampling option enabled] - 94-98

The difrences are quite minimal.

As for the ambient temps, well those are quite low, system ambient is around 33-35 under full load, processor core is around 45-47, procesor ambient is around 31-33, gpu ambient is around 55, so the air flow seems to be fine here [not to mention the pc with the gtx 580 is brand new, i have it around 2 weeks now, and my older rigs are cleaned out, so there is no way they are dusted ]
Well im using quite good cases for my pcs, and extra fans instaled inside so i doubt it may be the bad airflow [once again - there is no othher game or software that shows such behavior except the witcher]

My old pc [the one with gtx260] is in the case : SilentiumPC Gladius 600 Pure Black

The one with 460 : Cooler Master Dominator II

ane the newest pc the one with gtx 580 : CoolerMaster Centurion 534

As i said, i didnt changed any settings in nvidia panel, leaved the default ones.

As in game - i tested all 4 game settings, and even on the minimal settings Witcher is stressing my card above any other software.

Temperatures after 45 minutes of gameplay on minimal settings : 91-94 degrees

Temperatures after 45 minutes of gameplay on maxed out settings [without ubbersampling option enabled] - 94-98

The difrences are quite minimal.

As for the ambient temps, well those are quite low, system ambient is around 33-35 under full load, processor core is around 45-47, procesor ambient is around 31-33, gpu ambient is around 55, so the air flow seems to be fine here [not to mention the pc with the gtx 580 is brand new, i have it around 2 weeks now, and my older rigs are cleaned out, so there is no way they are dusted ]

Posted 05/23/2011 08:13 AM   
I have a similar problem, so I thought I´d reply:

The problem has nothing to do with the Beta Drivers: I have got a GeForce GTX 285 with the 270.61 drivers and also get extremely high temperatures in Witcher 2. This problem does not occur in other games.

I can reproduce this every time I play: The temperatures rise, and rise and then the graphics card shuts down automatically, while the rest of the PC still remains on. Only way to get the system running again is to use the switch on the power unit and then everything is fine again.

Weird: The GTX 285 strangely does not use the highest setting of it´s air cooling. So there is probably a problem with the communication between the game and the driver. The card should use the highest fan setting when the temperatures climb up, but simply does not and then after some playtime the card shuts down.

Rest of my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 720
4 GByte DDR2-1066-RAM
ASUS M4A78-3 Mainboard
Zotac Geforce GTX 285 (Driver 270-61)
Soundcard Creative Audigy 2
Windows XP Professional (SP3)

Nothing overclocked and with very good airflow (Big Tower and 5 Case fans)

The problem has nothing to do with the Beta Drivers: I have got a GeForce GTX 285 with the 270.61 drivers and also get extremely high temperatures in Witcher 2. This problem does not occur in other games.

I can reproduce this every time I play: The temperatures rise, and rise and then the graphics card shuts down automatically, while the rest of the PC still remains on. Only way to get the system running again is to use the switch on the power unit and then everything is fine again.

Weird: The GTX 285 strangely does not use the highest setting of it´s air cooling. So there is probably a problem with the communication between the game and the driver. The card should use the highest fan setting when the temperatures climb up, but simply does not and then after some playtime the card shuts down.

Rest of my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 720

4 GByte DDR2-1066-RAM

ASUS M4A78-3 Mainboard

Posted 05/23/2011 09:21 AM   
Pietro, What is your room temp?
Pietro, What is your room temp?

Posted 05/23/2011 10:29 AM   
[quote name='VincentVinyl' date='23 May 2011 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1306142510' post='1241215']

Rest of my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 720
4 GByte DDR2-1066-RAM
ASUS M4A78-3 Mainboard

[/quote]

Hi Vincent - please can you create you own separate thread, as yours is likely a separate issue and nobody like a topic hijacker /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

J
[quote name='VincentVinyl' date='23 May 2011 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1306142510' post='1241215']

Rest of my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 720

4 GByte DDR2-1066-RAM

ASUS M4A78-3 Mainboard

Hi Vincent - please can you create you own separate thread, as yours is likely a separate issue and nobody like a topic hijacker /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 05/23/2011 10:54 AM   
My room temp is 16-18 depend on the weather latelly.
My room temp is 16-18 depend on the weather latelly.

Posted 05/23/2011 11:06 AM   
@ jimbonbon

Will do that :-). Did not want to hijack the topic, just thought the problem was the same and did want to start an unnecessary thread :-).
@ jimbonbon

Will do that :-). Did not want to hijack the topic, just thought the problem was the same and did want to start an unnecessary thread :-).

Posted 05/23/2011 11:23 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top