The Witcher 2 unplayable after advice
Hi There,

I have just received my copy of the Witcher 2 but it is apparently unplayable for me. The graphics performance is so slow and the animations choppy it makes it very difficult to enjoy. When I go to the graphics options it defaults and autobenches to high so I'm not sure why this happens. I have searched the forums and done various things such as turning AA and ubersampling etc, and I recently installed the new beta 175 driver (I made sure the 3D installations where unchecked and also clicked on clean install so it would remove previous 3d drivers) but this still did not work. I think that the 3D drivers are disabled as far as I know.

I have attached some screen shots of my system info and display info taken from dxdiag.

[img]http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h383/darastrix1/SystemInfo.jpg[/img]

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h383/darastrix1/Displayinfo.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Dara
Hi There,

I have just received my copy of the Witcher 2 but it is apparently unplayable for me. The graphics performance is so slow and the animations choppy it makes it very difficult to enjoy. When I go to the graphics options it defaults and autobenches to high so I'm not sure why this happens. I have searched the forums and done various things such as turning AA and ubersampling etc, and I recently installed the new beta 175 driver (I made sure the 3D installations where unchecked and also clicked on clean install so it would remove previous 3d drivers) but this still did not work. I think that the 3D drivers are disabled as far as I know.

I have attached some screen shots of my system info and display info taken from dxdiag.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h383/darastrix1/Displayinfo.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Dara

Posted 05/19/2011 11:53 AM   
The game will not even open if 3D Drivers are out. Are other games working properly?
If you need to re-install the driver again try this method:
Restart your computer and keep pressing(not holding) F8 key until you see options to log on using SAFE MODE. Then in safe-mode uninstall the Nvidia drivers. Restart PC. Install new drivers again.

You can adjust graphics for games in the nvidia settings (Right-Click desktop --> Nvidia Control Panel)
On the side bar goto (Manage 3D settings). In the new menu goto -> program settings tab.
From there select your game from the drop down list. If the game name does not show up, click Add button -> select the main gamename.EXE file form the installed directory of the game. And add it.

Now as you have selected the application(game), modify settings in here. These settings can overide the game settings.
Note: Everytime you change something here, you have to re-launch the game to see the effect.
The game will not even open if 3D Drivers are out. Are other games working properly?

If you need to re-install the driver again try this method:

Restart your computer and keep pressing(not holding) F8 key until you see options to log on using SAFE MODE. Then in safe-mode uninstall the Nvidia drivers. Restart PC. Install new drivers again.

You can adjust graphics for games in the nvidia settings (Right-Click desktop --> Nvidia Control Panel)

On the side bar goto (Manage 3D settings). In the new menu goto -> program settings tab.

From there select your game from the drop down list. If the game name does not show up, click Add button -> select the main gamename.EXE file form the installed directory of the game. And add it.

Now as you have selected the application(game), modify settings in here. These settings can overide the game settings.

Note: Everytime you change something here, you have to re-launch the game to see the effect.

Posted 05/19/2011 12:49 PM   
[i]Regardless of the scalable game engine(allowing the game to adjust to hardware present in your system); "The Witcher 2" is among the most demanding software sets available at this time. Further optimizations to the game itself via patching, in conjunction with newer released display drivers may aid in performance, but it will still be rigid due to the technology it uses. At this time even those of us with very power gaming PCs are struggling in areas under various software configurations. A "tweakguide" will soon be available at geforce.com within a weeks time. You may find the information posted there more helpful and in-depth. In addition, I recommend being patient until the game developers gather the information necessary from the users in order to create a solution through patching. [/i]

-Hooks
Regardless of the scalable game engine(allowing the game to adjust to hardware present in your system); "The Witcher 2" is among the most demanding software sets available at this time. Further optimizations to the game itself via patching, in conjunction with newer released display drivers may aid in performance, but it will still be rigid due to the technology it uses. At this time even those of us with very power gaming PCs are struggling in areas under various software configurations. A "tweakguide" will soon be available at geforce.com within a weeks time. You may find the information posted there more helpful and in-depth. In addition, I recommend being patient until the game developers gather the information necessary from the users in order to create a solution through patching.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 05/19/2011 01:58 PM   
It took me a while to figure this out, but here's what worked for me.

Install the new drivers (everything in the package) and check the clean method.

Don't run the 3D setup (if you run 3d setup, you're done for and have to do a clean driver install).

Seems like the 3D drivers need to be installed, but the 3D setup glitches the drivers out.

IF you're running SLI, make sure you re-enable it.
It took me a while to figure this out, but here's what worked for me.

Install the new drivers (everything in the package) and check the clean method.

Don't run the 3D setup (if you run 3d setup, you're done for and have to do a clean driver install).

Seems like the 3D drivers need to be installed, but the 3D setup glitches the drivers out.

IF you're running SLI, make sure you re-enable it.

Posted 05/19/2011 08:56 PM   
I tried everything here, but still getting 15-20 fps even on low settings. The fps are only low during the gameplay, not the cutscenes. I am running:

Core i5 2500K
8 GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti
Windows 7 64-bit

No SLI, nothing special. I have Windows XP installed on another hard drive, on that one Witcher 2 runs at a great frame rate even on high settings. Any other possible solutions?
I tried everything here, but still getting 15-20 fps even on low settings. The fps are only low during the gameplay, not the cutscenes. I am running:

Core i5 2500K

8 GB RAM

GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 64-bit

No SLI, nothing special. I have Windows XP installed on another hard drive, on that one Witcher 2 runs at a great frame rate even on high settings. Any other possible solutions?

Posted 05/19/2011 11:49 PM   
Yeah I have tried all that advice and unfortunately it has made no real improvement. I have managed to tweak a couple of setting which allows me to play it but it is still unresponsive especially during combat.

I think more than anything it is more of a problem with the game itself. After searching around various forums it seems the games graphics are inconsistent and a little strange. My own experience with this is my computer usually can't handle any sort of anti-alaising, but when I enabled it on the Witcher 2 it actually ran better for some reason. There are some major problems though where the framerate drops below playable.

I haven't got the technical skill to try and over-clock the computer to see if there is any difference, but hopefully there will be some patches for the game released soon that will improve gameplay.

Tony
Yeah I have tried all that advice and unfortunately it has made no real improvement. I have managed to tweak a couple of setting which allows me to play it but it is still unresponsive especially during combat.

I think more than anything it is more of a problem with the game itself. After searching around various forums it seems the games graphics are inconsistent and a little strange. My own experience with this is my computer usually can't handle any sort of anti-alaising, but when I enabled it on the Witcher 2 it actually ran better for some reason. There are some major problems though where the framerate drops below playable.

I haven't got the technical skill to try and over-clock the computer to see if there is any difference, but hopefully there will be some patches for the game released soon that will improve gameplay.

Tony

Posted 05/20/2011 08:27 AM   
I went one step further: on a spare hard drive, I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit with the new beta driver and the game ran great (even on Uber settings with Ubersampling turned off). This is almost certainly a problem with uninstalling the old driver, but no uninstall/reinstall I have tried seems to work. I can't find a definitive guide to getting a clean uninstall. I wonder if there are just some .dll's somewhere I can delete to be 100% sure the old driver is gone? Registry entries? It would be quite a hassle to reinstall Windows on my main hard drive just to purge these old drivers or settings.
I went one step further: on a spare hard drive, I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit with the new beta driver and the game ran great (even on Uber settings with Ubersampling turned off). This is almost certainly a problem with uninstalling the old driver, but no uninstall/reinstall I have tried seems to work. I can't find a definitive guide to getting a clean uninstall. I wonder if there are just some .dll's somewhere I can delete to be 100% sure the old driver is gone? Registry entries? It would be quite a hassle to reinstall Windows on my main hard drive just to purge these old drivers or settings.

Posted 05/20/2011 05:09 PM   
[quote name='tnuspik' date='20 May 2011 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1305911392' post='1240150']
[/quote]
Is there a chance that the people having luck getting SLI working could also have the GOC digital version, the only version without DRM?
[quote name='tnuspik' date='20 May 2011 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1305911392' post='1240150']

Is there a chance that the people having luck getting SLI working could also have the GOC digital version, the only version without DRM?

i7 core @3.8

GTX58O SLI

6 GIG RAM

Posted 05/20/2011 08:26 PM   
[quote name='magnum' date='20 May 2011 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1305923212' post='1240212']
[/quote]
I do have the retail version, not the DRM-free version. Not sure if that is the problem in my case (I don't have SLI, just getting low FPS).
[quote name='magnum' date='20 May 2011 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1305923212' post='1240212']

I do have the retail version, not the DRM-free version. Not sure if that is the problem in my case (I don't have SLI, just getting low FPS).

Posted 05/20/2011 09:34 PM   
[quote name='tnuspik' date='20 May 2011 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1305927293' post='1240227']
[/quote]
One last thing though. Every time the character climbs a ladder or any time an animation takes over like climbing sli kicks in 100% then after move returns to normal, this must be easily fixed.
[quote name='tnuspik' date='20 May 2011 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1305927293' post='1240227']

One last thing though. Every time the character climbs a ladder or any time an animation takes over like climbing sli kicks in 100% then after move returns to normal, this must be easily fixed.

i7 core @3.8

GTX58O SLI

6 GIG RAM

Posted 05/20/2011 10:37 PM   
I have the DRM-free version and have horrid performance.

8130p @ 5.1Ghz : GTX 570 x2 - cuda workstation

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz : GTX 570 - itx media pc

Posted 05/21/2011 12:46 AM   
[quote name='Luke_SLI' date='20 May 2011 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1305938778' post='1240290']
[/quote]
Download the no dvd 1.2 file from gamecopyworld.Do not get the skidrow version get the gog version, there are 2. The skidrow has a virus.Copy the witcher2.exe and the paul.dll over existing files in the bin folder of the witcher 2 directory and then fire up using the beta 175 drivers. I have all of my 3d vision installed and it makes no difference. Its up to you if you use the sli profile or the custom inspector profile which will now work for you. The custom profile is still faster than the standard sli profile in cpu intessive scenes. Overall, this fix doubles my frmaerate in most cases.
[quote name='Luke_SLI' date='20 May 2011 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1305938778' post='1240290']

Download the no dvd 1.2 file from gamecopyworld.Do not get the skidrow version get the gog version, there are 2. The skidrow has a virus.Copy the witcher2.exe and the paul.dll over existing files in the bin folder of the witcher 2 directory and then fire up using the beta 175 drivers. I have all of my 3d vision installed and it makes no difference. Its up to you if you use the sli profile or the custom inspector profile which will now work for you. The custom profile is still faster than the standard sli profile in cpu intessive scenes. Overall, this fix doubles my frmaerate in most cases.

i7 core @3.8

GTX58O SLI

6 GIG RAM

Posted 05/21/2011 10:25 AM   
I've just posted a solution : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201054
I've just posted a solution : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201054

Posted 05/23/2011 11:19 AM   
[quote name='magnum' date='21 May 2011 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1305973559' post='1240423']
[/quote]

Will this work with the retail version, and will it mess up anything?
[quote name='magnum' date='21 May 2011 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1305973559' post='1240423']

Will this work with the retail version, and will it mess up anything?

Posted 05/26/2011 03:50 PM   
Hi folks have downloaded Patch 1-1 from Witcher-2 website which adresses DRM issues/control buttons/ & load of other issues with the game hope u find this useful.
Hi folks have downloaded Patch 1-1 from Witcher-2 website which adresses DRM issues/control buttons/ & load of other issues with the game hope u find this useful.

Posted 05/31/2011 12:35 PM   
Scroll To Top