Which GPU as dedicated Physx Card?
I have a GTX580 SLI setup and am thinking of adding another GPU as a dedicated PhysX card. I do not intend to spend too much and have come across a second-hand GTX550-Ti, GTS450-OC and GTX460($130-$150). Which would be "sufficient" to keep up with my GTX580 in taking the physics load off the SLIed GPUs? I'm also wondering if my HX1000 PSU will be able to handle the 3rd GPU? I may just shelf the idea if i need to upgrade PSU. Also, would my i7-960 at 4Ghz able to cope as well?
I have a GTX580 SLI setup and am thinking of adding another GPU as a dedicated PhysX card. I do not intend to spend too much and have come across a second-hand GTX550-Ti, GTS450-OC and GTX460($130-$150). Which would be "sufficient" to keep up with my GTX580 in taking the physics load off the SLIed GPUs? I'm also wondering if my HX1000 PSU will be able to handle the 3rd GPU? I may just shelf the idea if i need to upgrade PSU. Also, would my i7-960 at 4Ghz able to cope as well?

Posted 04/27/2011 10:37 AM   
You're joking right? You have -2- GTX580s. PhysX does not demand a lot of resources at all, not to mention only a relatively small list of games even feature it. Did I also mention you have 2 of the most powerful single GPU cards available right now? You aren't going to be at risk of falling below optimal FPS for at least another 2 years. The idea of adding ANOTHER GPU dedicated to PhysX alone is a joke. There is literally no load to alleviate off of your setup as far as graphics go. No difference can possibly be made. End of thread.
You're joking right? You have -2- GTX580s. PhysX does not demand a lot of resources at all, not to mention only a relatively small list of games even feature it. Did I also mention you have 2 of the most powerful single GPU cards available right now? You aren't going to be at risk of falling below optimal FPS for at least another 2 years. The idea of adding ANOTHER GPU dedicated to PhysX alone is a joke. There is literally no load to alleviate off of your setup as far as graphics go. No difference can possibly be made. End of thread.

Case: CoolerMaster nVidia Edition CM 690

PS: Corsair Professional Series 850 Watts

Motherboard: Asus M4N82 Deluxe

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE

RAM: OCZ Platinum Edition 800mhz DDR2

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 275

Posted 05/05/2011 03:59 AM   
adrian,back off chump.you dont need to be so aggressive and decide when threads end and when they dont.

doug,look:

most games dont use physx.of the ones that do use it (Batman,Mafia II,Metro 2033 etc) very few utilize the GPU fully to make dedicated Physx card of any use.

Niether card you mentioned is strong enough to handle a single 580,let alone SLI.Depending on your resolution,physx may/may not have much impact on GPU & game performance.

This is how I set mine: SLI Physx is On,and GPU2 is the Physx GPU.Even Metro 2033 @ 1680x1050 maxed out DX11 does not drop below 57-58 fps.It averages at around 110-130(VSync is off/unavailable in-game).

Batman, which heavily uses Physx stays within 55-60fps (VSync On) in my settings.
adrian,back off chump.you dont need to be so aggressive and decide when threads end and when they dont.

doug,look:

most games dont use physx.of the ones that do use it (Batman,Mafia II,Metro 2033 etc) very few utilize the GPU fully to make dedicated Physx card of any use.

Niether card you mentioned is strong enough to handle a single 580,let alone SLI.Depending on your resolution,physx may/may not have much impact on GPU & game performance.

This is how I set mine: SLI Physx is On,and GPU2 is the Physx GPU.Even Metro 2033 @ 1680x1050 maxed out DX11 does not drop below 57-58 fps.It averages at around 110-130(VSync is off/unavailable in-game).

Batman, which heavily uses Physx stays within 55-60fps (VSync On) in my settings.

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 05/06/2011 04:43 PM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='06 May 2011 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1304700210' post='1234153']

doug,look:

[/quote]

Thanks, appreciate your clarifications. OK I'll shelf the idea since there aren't that many games that would make it a worthwhile investment and the gains are not worth its price-performance ratio.
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='06 May 2011 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1304700210' post='1234153']

doug,look:

Thanks, appreciate your clarifications. OK I'll shelf the idea since there aren't that many games that would make it a worthwhile investment and the gains are not worth its price-performance ratio.

Posted 05/07/2011 01:17 PM   
Unless yer a Mafia II or Batman:AA addict, dedicated PhysX is pretty much overkill as the UPCMan stated. If I were you I'd stick with what you have, and maybe pick up a 3rd 580 on EBay, so that you can run 3-Way SLi in games that support it well and 3D and such, and then 2-Way + PPU in games that support PhysX. I've yet to see a game that combo couldn't handle easily. Mafia II runs at 60FPS+ with ApeX PhysX on High with the 2-Way + PPU setup.

Honestly though, 2 580s is plenty. It's definitely not worth the price vs. performance, if I hadn't gotten my 3rd 580 as a gift, I wouldn't have a 3rd one.
Unless yer a Mafia II or Batman:AA addict, dedicated PhysX is pretty much overkill as the UPCMan stated. If I were you I'd stick with what you have, and maybe pick up a 3rd 580 on EBay, so that you can run 3-Way SLi in games that support it well and 3D and such, and then 2-Way + PPU in games that support PhysX. I've yet to see a game that combo couldn't handle easily. Mafia II runs at 60FPS+ with ApeX PhysX on High with the 2-Way + PPU setup.

Honestly though, 2 580s is plenty. It's definitely not worth the price vs. performance, if I hadn't gotten my 3rd 580 as a gift, I wouldn't have a 3rd one.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 05/07/2011 02:25 PM   
[quote name='Goddess84' date='07 May 2011 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1304778316' post='1234438']

[/quote]

Yup i was thinking along that line too - 3-way SLI & SLI+PhysX. Perhaps i'll do that if i upgrade to IvyBridge/Socket2011 - if the OC headroom is as good (if not better) than the SB 2500/2600Ks. I know a 3-way SLI setup would need at least a 4.5Ghz OC to perform its full potential, and that would entail upgrading to a more powerful PSU as well. That would be an entirely different topic. Thanks for your advice!
[quote name='Goddess84' date='07 May 2011 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1304778316' post='1234438']

Yup i was thinking along that line too - 3-way SLI & SLI+PhysX. Perhaps i'll do that if i upgrade to IvyBridge/Socket2011 - if the OC headroom is as good (if not better) than the SB 2500/2600Ks. I know a 3-way SLI setup would need at least a 4.5Ghz OC to perform its full potential, and that would entail upgrading to a more powerful PSU as well. That would be an entirely different topic. Thanks for your advice!

Posted 05/11/2011 10:57 AM   
What about an ASUSENGTX580 and a EVGA 460SC-GTX 1GB for Physx or I shouldnt need to worry?
What about an ASUSENGTX580 and a EVGA 460SC-GTX 1GB for Physx or I shouldnt need to worry?

Posted 12/03/2011 09:12 PM   
I was thinking about getting a Dedicated PhysX card,
Any need for me to get a dedicated PhysX card, i only got one 580 with 1528Mb Ram.

I play at 1920*1080, and as high as i can. I also like Mafia 2, and am going to get the new Batman soon.
I was thinking about getting a Dedicated PhysX card,

Any need for me to get a dedicated PhysX card, i only got one 580 with 1528Mb Ram.

I play at 1920*1080, and as high as i can. I also like Mafia 2, and am going to get the new Batman soon.

Posted 12/08/2011 02:35 PM   
i'm running 3D surround (5760x1080) with 2-way sli GTX580 1.5GB

due to heat issues i can not add a 3rd GTX580 - made a mistake and got 2 non-reference cards which overheat when i 3-way sli

will a dedicated physx card help me get better fps?

i like physx games - mafia 2, batman aa & ac, metro 2033
i'm running 3D surround (5760x1080) with 2-way sli GTX580 1.5GB

due to heat issues i can not add a 3rd GTX580 - made a mistake and got 2 non-reference cards which overheat when i 3-way sli

will a dedicated physx card help me get better fps?

i like physx games - mafia 2, batman aa & ac, metro 2033

Posted 01/01/2012 11:37 AM   
Guys this thread was 6 months old before dude revived it. I'd suggest making a new thread to get good responses from folks.

Tribal: If you play games that support it, that's a good combination for PhysX, although I'd recommend a GTX 560 Ti instead if you can swing the extra cost, better throughput.

Halo: Mafia II uses PhysX very well, as does Batman AA from what I've heard, so you may wanna look in to getting one yeah. Since you have a 580, I'd recommend nothing less than a 460/560 for PhysX, especially with Mafia II because it's PhysX is quite intense & requires some horsepower to put out without causing degradation of frame rate. I ran Mafia II with 2-Way + PPU of all 580s and never had any problems, and saw PPU usage of 50-90% a lot of the time!

Mycrus: On the first 3 games, yes a dedicated PPU will help, Mafia II & Batman AA the most. Metro 2033 mostly uses PhysX for cloth, so it's not a big impact on that game if you have one. If you're having heat issues with a 3rd 580, you should try optimizing your case flow better air-wise. Try placing a 120MM fan at the butt of the cards if possible to help force air in between the cards & thereby in to their intakes. I did that and it lowered my 3-Way temps at the time by about 5C under Load.
Guys this thread was 6 months old before dude revived it. I'd suggest making a new thread to get good responses from folks.

Tribal: If you play games that support it, that's a good combination for PhysX, although I'd recommend a GTX 560 Ti instead if you can swing the extra cost, better throughput.

Halo: Mafia II uses PhysX very well, as does Batman AA from what I've heard, so you may wanna look in to getting one yeah. Since you have a 580, I'd recommend nothing less than a 460/560 for PhysX, especially with Mafia II because it's PhysX is quite intense & requires some horsepower to put out without causing degradation of frame rate. I ran Mafia II with 2-Way + PPU of all 580s and never had any problems, and saw PPU usage of 50-90% a lot of the time!

Mycrus: On the first 3 games, yes a dedicated PPU will help, Mafia II & Batman AA the most. Metro 2033 mostly uses PhysX for cloth, so it's not a big impact on that game if you have one. If you're having heat issues with a 3rd 580, you should try optimizing your case flow better air-wise. Try placing a 120MM fan at the butt of the cards if possible to help force air in between the cards & thereby in to their intakes. I did that and it lowered my 3-Way temps at the time by about 5C under Load.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/01/2012 03:19 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='01 January 2012 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1325431182' post='1350046']

[/quote]

not case air flow problem, i have about 550CFM intake with about 270CFM exhaust...

it's the d@mn aftermarket cooler non-reference cards that i have (gigabyte windforce 3x)...

what would you suggest i get as a physx card - 560s are out of the picture, because it will lead to the same heat issues... will my 2-way GTX580 sli work well (no bottleneck) with a 550 as a physx processor?
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='01 January 2012 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1325431182' post='1350046']

not case air flow problem, i have about 550CFM intake with about 270CFM exhaust...

it's the d@mn aftermarket cooler non-reference cards that i have (gigabyte windforce 3x)...

what would you suggest i get as a physx card - 560s are out of the picture, because it will lead to the same heat issues... will my 2-way GTX580 sli work well (no bottleneck) with a 550 as a physx processor?

Posted 01/01/2012 04:19 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='01 January 2012 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1325431182' post='1350046']Halo: Mafia II uses PhysX very well, as does Batman AA from what I've heard, so you may wanna look in to getting one yeah. Since you have a 580, I'd recommend nothing less than a 460/560 for PhysX, especially with Mafia II because it's PhysX is quite intense & requires some horsepower to put out without causing degradation of frame rate. I ran Mafia II with 2-Way + PPU of all 580s and never had any problems, and saw PPU usage of 50-90% a lot of the time!

[/quote]

Okay thanks.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='01 January 2012 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1325431182' post='1350046']Halo: Mafia II uses PhysX very well, as does Batman AA from what I've heard, so you may wanna look in to getting one yeah. Since you have a 580, I'd recommend nothing less than a 460/560 for PhysX, especially with Mafia II because it's PhysX is quite intense & requires some horsepower to put out without causing degradation of frame rate. I ran Mafia II with 2-Way + PPU of all 580s and never had any problems, and saw PPU usage of 50-90% a lot of the time!

Okay thanks.

Posted 01/09/2012 09:27 PM   
i leave it on auto select for physx in the nvidia control panel.....
i leave it on auto select for physx in the nvidia control panel.....

Haf-X rc-942 case
Corsair AX1200
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
I7 3820 3.8 GHZ w/corsair h100 water cooler(push/pull)
32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE GT DDR3 1600
(2) EVGA GTX 680 SC in sli
(1) gtx 570 for physx
(2) Corsair Force Series GS SSD240GB SATA III(2) WD VelociRaptor 600GB in Raid 0 SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro Series
Logitech G19 keyboard
G500 mouse
Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 3D 27" 2ms
(2) ASUS 24" hdmi 1080p
Win8 pro 64 bit

Posted 02/12/2012 04:05 PM   
Scroll To Top