Monitor Recommendations LCD vs LED
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new monitor in the next couple of weeks. My budget is up to £200 and I'm looking for about a 24". I was looking at the Samsung SyncMaster P2450H, but then a friend mentioned LED monitors.

What is the real difference, other than the technology obviously, between LCD and LED and is it really worth it?

Any suggestions would be welcome, although I'm pretty keen on a Samsung, as they're reliable and the build quality is good.

Cheers.
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new monitor in the next couple of weeks. My budget is up to £200 and I'm looking for about a 24". I was looking at the Samsung SyncMaster P2450H, but then a friend mentioned LED monitors.

What is the real difference, other than the technology obviously, between LCD and LED and is it really worth it?

Any suggestions would be welcome, although I'm pretty keen on a Samsung, as they're reliable and the build quality is good.

Cheers.

Posted 04/18/2011 04:02 PM   
LED is not opposed to LCD but to CCFL and it's related to the backlight technology.

In any monitor there are only two important factors:

PANEL technology (TN, IPS, PVA, etc)
and backlight QUALITY.

Quality has nothing to do with LED or CCFL, LED light can be bad as CCFL light can be bad.
The important thing is the quality.

For example, the monitor you can see in my signature has a CCFL backlight but that's the BEST around for the light quality it emits.

Thanks to the light quality and the IPS panel, this monitor can offer the widest gamma available at the moment.

Since your budget is very limited I suggest you to find the best IPS panel monitor you can afford.

Some models:
Dell U2410
HP LP2475W
HP ZR24W <--- recommended.

Note:
All IPS panel monitors have a higher cost and quality than TN panels, but TN panels have only 262144 colors and a terrible "cone of view".
LED is not opposed to LCD but to CCFL and it's related to the backlight technology.

In any monitor there are only two important factors:

PANEL technology (TN, IPS, PVA, etc)

and backlight QUALITY.

Quality has nothing to do with LED or CCFL, LED light can be bad as CCFL light can be bad.

The important thing is the quality.

For example, the monitor you can see in my signature has a CCFL backlight but that's the BEST around for the light quality it emits.

Thanks to the light quality and the IPS panel, this monitor can offer the widest gamma available at the moment.

Since your budget is very limited I suggest you to find the best IPS panel monitor you can afford.

Some models:

Dell U2410

HP LP2475W

HP ZR24W <--- recommended.

Note:

All IPS panel monitors have a higher cost and quality than TN panels, but TN panels have only 262144 colors and a terrible "cone of view".
Thanks for the info Zibri, but I don't think I'll be spending £350-£400 on any of your suggestions.

Do you know of any IPS monitors around the £200 price range? If I'm just using this for gaming and watching films would the 'cone of view' really be a problem when sat straight in front of the screen?

The monitor I mentioned in my first post has some great reviews on all of the sites I've looked on, and for the money looks pretty good. What are your thoughts on this particular one?

Also how can I tell if a monitor is IPS or not? I notice that not all of them say in the specification.

Just seen this one actually - Dell SP2309W - what do you think?
Thanks for the info Zibri, but I don't think I'll be spending £350-£400 on any of your suggestions.

Do you know of any IPS monitors around the £200 price range? If I'm just using this for gaming and watching films would the 'cone of view' really be a problem when sat straight in front of the screen?

The monitor I mentioned in my first post has some great reviews on all of the sites I've looked on, and for the money looks pretty good. What are your thoughts on this particular one?

Also how can I tell if a monitor is IPS or not? I notice that not all of them say in the specification.

Posted 04/19/2011 09:42 AM   
I really don't know. Don't trust "integrated features"... A good monitor doesn't need them to sell.

You may find some better offers or get slightly used ones.
I really don't know. Don't trust "integrated features"... A good monitor doesn't need them to sell.

You may find some better offers or get slightly used ones.
[quote name='Dave_E30' date='19 April 2011 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1303206168' post='1227081']

[/quote]
For gaming and a low budget, a TN panel (most common) should be ok. Get decent response times like 2 ms and 5 ms. I know Asus makes good cheap displays. Samsung and LG are awesome. You will probably get a 1920 X 1080 (1080p HD display) resolution display with 2 or 5 ms response time for your budget which should do you fine.

Zibri loves his HP 30' display which is a S-IPS panel. Got a LG 30' (S-IPS) myself and so I only share his feelings. But not pleased on the response times myself. Ghosting is noticeable in some fast action places at 5 ms.
[quote name='Dave_E30' date='19 April 2011 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1303206168' post='1227081']

For gaming and a low budget, a TN panel (most common) should be ok. Get decent response times like 2 ms and 5 ms. I know Asus makes good cheap displays. Samsung and LG are awesome. You will probably get a 1920 X 1080 (1080p HD display) resolution display with 2 or 5 ms response time for your budget which should do you fine.

Zibri loves his HP 30' display which is a S-IPS panel. Got a LG 30' (S-IPS) myself and so I only share his feelings. But not pleased on the response times myself. Ghosting is noticeable in some fast action places at 5 ms.

Posted 04/20/2011 07:24 AM   
[quote name='G.Abhinav' date='20 April 2011 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1303284289' post='1227709']

[/quote]

You're totally wrong:

1) The zr30w is H2-IPS (which is also called UH-IPS) S-IPS is the cheap version of the IPS.

2) Response times on the zr30w are 7ms but there is no ghosting at all. I myself have TN panel (Dell E248WFP) which is declared as a 5ms response time but it's not.

Do you want to test response time? Really?
Go to: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php
And click start test.
Then count how many are flickering there and how much.
(and this just to have an idea)
[quote name='G.Abhinav' date='20 April 2011 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1303284289' post='1227709']

You're totally wrong:

1) The zr30w is H2-IPS (which is also called UH-IPS) S-IPS is the cheap version of the IPS.

2) Response times on the zr30w are 7ms but there is no ghosting at all. I myself have TN panel (Dell E248WFP) which is declared as a 5ms response time but it's not.

Do you want to test response time? Really?

Go to: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

And click start test.

Then count how many are flickering there and how much.

(and this just to have an idea)
I know that place for LCD testing. Anyway thanks for that. The LG and the HP panels are identical fyi. LG has done some software enhancement (or so they say) for their display to get a GTG response time of 5 ms instead of 7 ms. I'm coming from a 2 ms display (and thinking of getting a 1 ms one) and so I can see ghosting quite well. I saw ghosting even in that website you mentioned, so it's surprising how come you don't. Btw, if you want a good idea about the specs of the LCD display and what they actually are minus the marketing jimmick of telling it in GTG and BTW, Anandtech forums have a nice beginner's guide. A post linking to that was there in the once-SLI Zone forums, but now since Nvidia forums is a big place, I can't find where it is.
I know that place for LCD testing. Anyway thanks for that. The LG and the HP panels are identical fyi. LG has done some software enhancement (or so they say) for their display to get a GTG response time of 5 ms instead of 7 ms. I'm coming from a 2 ms display (and thinking of getting a 1 ms one) and so I can see ghosting quite well. I saw ghosting even in that website you mentioned, so it's surprising how come you don't. Btw, if you want a good idea about the specs of the LCD display and what they actually are minus the marketing jimmick of telling it in GTG and BTW, Anandtech forums have a nice beginner's guide. A post linking to that was there in the once-SLI Zone forums, but now since Nvidia forums is a big place, I can't find where it is.

Posted 04/24/2011 05:15 PM   
I'm really just after a decent enough monitor for around £200 that will be used for gaming and watching films.

No offence, but to spend over a grand on a monitor you've either got to have a good job and plenty of spare cash, or not much of a social life.

I'm not that fussed about TN vs IPS, hence why I'm not spending £400+. I'm sure I'd notice the difference if the two were sat side-by-side, but when I'm just going to be using it in my room, I'll be happy so long as it's a decent picture/resolution.

On that mindset, what do you think about the SyncMaster P2450H G.Abhinav?

Or either of these two actually:

SAMSUNG BX2431
Samsung XL2370 23
I'm really just after a decent enough monitor for around £200 that will be used for gaming and watching films.

No offence, but to spend over a grand on a monitor you've either got to have a good job and plenty of spare cash, or not much of a social life.

I'm not that fussed about TN vs IPS, hence why I'm not spending £400+. I'm sure I'd notice the difference if the two were sat side-by-side, but when I'm just going to be using it in my room, I'll be happy so long as it's a decent picture/resolution.

On that mindset, what do you think about the SyncMaster P2450H G.Abhinav?

Or either of these two actually:

SAMSUNG BX2431

Samsung XL2370 23

Posted 04/26/2011 03:12 PM   
Why don't you try Samsung PX2370 Dave? I heard it's a great display. LED backlight, 2 ms GTG, 1080p, lower power consumption, greater viewing range (or so say a couple of reviews and the website itself), got a mode called sRBG and so you don't have to bother adjusting the colors for calibration and good looks as well. It's about $250 and so you'll find it around 200 euros in UK I guess. Do tell me about its price and availability.
Why don't you try Samsung PX2370 Dave? I heard it's a great display. LED backlight, 2 ms GTG, 1080p, lower power consumption, greater viewing range (or so say a couple of reviews and the website itself), got a mode called sRBG and so you don't have to bother adjusting the colors for calibration and good looks as well. It's about $250 and so you'll find it around 200 euros in UK I guess. Do tell me about its price and availability.

Posted 05/01/2011 03:12 PM   
Viewsonic has a few affordable 23 LCD monitors that feature IPS panels. This one is only $290 (USD) and the reviews have been stellar [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116421"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116421[/url].

I can't stand TN based monitors. They are only acceptable for [u]gaming[/u] when you're sitting right in front of the screen. For multi-media, photo editing, video editing, and virtually everything else an IPS or PVA based monitor will be much better. The viewing angles on any TN panel are atrocious (especially vertically) when compared to IPS\PVA, so this is why TN tech is never used for HDTV's or 24 inch+ LCD monitors.

Response time is no longer an issue with modern IPS\PVA displays. Even input lag has been reduced to acceptable levels.
Viewsonic has a few affordable 23 LCD monitors that feature IPS panels. This one is only $290 (USD) and the reviews have been stellar http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116421.

I can't stand TN based monitors. They are only acceptable for gaming when you're sitting right in front of the screen. For multi-media, photo editing, video editing, and virtually everything else an IPS or PVA based monitor will be much better. The viewing angles on any TN panel are atrocious (especially vertically) when compared to IPS\PVA, so this is why TN tech is never used for HDTV's or 24 inch+ LCD monitors.

Response time is no longer an issue with modern IPS\PVA displays. Even input lag has been reduced to acceptable levels.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/01/2011 09:52 PM   
14 ms response time? /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />

Let's hope it's BTW and not GTG. 14 ms BTW is like ~7 ms GTG which is fairly horrible. I'm having a S-IPS XHD display and I find response time is a big issue because while the colors are nice and vibrant, there is noticeable ghosting at 5 ms GTG, enough to ruin a perfect viewing experience.
14 ms response time? /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />

Let's hope it's BTW and not GTG. 14 ms BTW is like ~7 ms GTG which is fairly horrible. I'm having a S-IPS XHD display and I find response time is a big issue because while the colors are nice and vibrant, there is noticeable ghosting at 5 ms GTG, enough to ruin a perfect viewing experience.

Posted 05/03/2011 07:15 PM   
That's actually the G2G rating. There's no RTC (Response Time Compensation) impulse applied in Viewsonic's VP2365wb, which is why Viewsonic stuck with the 14ms G2G ISO rating (as NEC did with their NEC EA231WMi) . Other monitors like the Dell U2311H use the same 23 inch LG.Display IPS panel that the VP2365wb and EA231Wmi use, however they have a slightly better G2G response time (8ms) do to the RTC acceleration circuitry.

While RTC acceleration does improve G2G response time, it also creates unwanted visual artifacts as well.

Truthfully, any monitor under 16ms G2G is easily fast enough for games and movies. The minority of users that do notice some ghosting\blurring at 16ms should definitely stick with TN panels or CRTs, or at the very least an IPS\PVA based display with RTC acceleration.
That's actually the G2G rating. There's no RTC (Response Time Compensation) impulse applied in Viewsonic's VP2365wb, which is why Viewsonic stuck with the 14ms G2G ISO rating (as NEC did with their NEC EA231WMi) . Other monitors like the Dell U2311H use the same 23 inch LG.Display IPS panel that the VP2365wb and EA231Wmi use, however they have a slightly better G2G response time (8ms) do to the RTC acceleration circuitry.

While RTC acceleration does improve G2G response time, it also creates unwanted visual artifacts as well.

Truthfully, any monitor under 16ms G2G is easily fast enough for games and movies. The minority of users that do notice some ghosting\blurring at 16ms should definitely stick with TN panels or CRTs, or at the very least an IPS\PVA based display with RTC acceleration.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/04/2011 06:53 AM   
Not to mention that the maximum number of colors of a TN panel is 262144 ! They are all 6 bit (and some cheat with internal dithering).

It's true that DELL U3011 and HP ZR30W share the same panel, but the backlight of the HP is slightly better.

About blacks, PVA panels like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zibri/6603500531 are even better, and have deeper blacks.

They are also wide gamut. I have a 46D7000 and two 55D8000 and they all have a similar panel.

Some people complain because they don't know how to set it, but once set or calibrated, they are incredible and in "game mode" the average latency is about 4-5ms!

Obviously these panels are only 1920x1080, but they are really great looking and have a wide viewing angle.
Not to mention that the maximum number of colors of a TN panel is 262144 ! They are all 6 bit (and some cheat with internal dithering).

It's true that DELL U3011 and HP ZR30W share the same panel, but the backlight of the HP is slightly better.

About blacks, PVA panels like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zibri/6603500531 are even better, and have deeper blacks.

They are also wide gamut. I have a 46D7000 and two 55D8000 and they all have a similar panel.

Some people complain because they don't know how to set it, but once set or calibrated, they are incredible and in "game mode" the average latency is about 4-5ms!

Obviously these panels are only 1920x1080, but they are really great looking and have a wide viewing angle.
Scroll To Top