GTX 570 Driver crash: Possible fix, and a question.
Like many, I bought a GTX 570 back in Feb. I did the whole shebang, made sure all previous drivers were wiped and installed for the goodness that is gaming. However, I was getting pixels stretching into infinity, weird multicolored squares popping up in games and artifacts galore. BC2 was a major culprit, WAR and EVE Online as well. It would come and go, but usually it rendered most games annoying at best... unplayable at worst. I did everything to try and fix it. Driver reinstall and roll back, reinstall games, memtest, reseating EVERYTHING in my computer and so on. But nothing fixed it.

I RMA'd my first card, got a new one. Plugged that in, and got most of the same issues as before... added with driver crashes and screen black outs. Did everything as before, along with reformatting my computer. Got to talking with EVGA, tried everything they said. However, while running MSI Kombuster I noticed something. During the benchmark, it would ALWAYS driver crash on one specific test: PhysX (For those who use Kombustor, it's the third test with the waving flags). ALWAYS crashed the driver no matter what.

I got a random crazy idea today, and decided to go with it. Popped open my nvidia control panel, went to the PhysX Configuration and put the PhysX processor from my GPU to my CPU and ran the test again. Didn't have a SINGLE problem. Test ran perfectly ten times in a row with no issues. I'm going to continue with it like this for awhile and see if it fixes my issues.

------------------

That being my possible fix, here's my question: I have another card (the GTX 275 mentioned above) that I can use to handle the PhysX portion. Will my Corsair 750TX be able to handle the power load? How much power would the 275 pull in regards to doing PhysX? If this quick fix of mine ends up ending my graphics problems, I'll probably go this route to make it a permanant fix.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 - This is the PSU in question. It has a quite large 12V rail (60A) so I figure it could handle it.
Like many, I bought a GTX 570 back in Feb. I did the whole shebang, made sure all previous drivers were wiped and installed for the goodness that is gaming. However, I was getting pixels stretching into infinity, weird multicolored squares popping up in games and artifacts galore. BC2 was a major culprit, WAR and EVE Online as well. It would come and go, but usually it rendered most games annoying at best... unplayable at worst. I did everything to try and fix it. Driver reinstall and roll back, reinstall games, memtest, reseating EVERYTHING in my computer and so on. But nothing fixed it.

I RMA'd my first card, got a new one. Plugged that in, and got most of the same issues as before... added with driver crashes and screen black outs. Did everything as before, along with reformatting my computer. Got to talking with EVGA, tried everything they said. However, while running MSI Kombuster I noticed something. During the benchmark, it would ALWAYS driver crash on one specific test: PhysX (For those who use Kombustor, it's the third test with the waving flags). ALWAYS crashed the driver no matter what.

I got a random crazy idea today, and decided to go with it. Popped open my nvidia control panel, went to the PhysX Configuration and put the PhysX processor from my GPU to my CPU and ran the test again. Didn't have a SINGLE problem. Test ran perfectly ten times in a row with no issues. I'm going to continue with it like this for awhile and see if it fixes my issues.

------------------

That being my possible fix, here's my question: I have another card (the GTX 275 mentioned above) that I can use to handle the PhysX portion. Will my Corsair 750TX be able to handle the power load? How much power would the 275 pull in regards to doing PhysX? If this quick fix of mine ends up ending my graphics problems, I'll probably go this route to make it a permanant fix.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
- This is the PSU in question. It has a quite large 12V rail (60A) so I figure it could handle it.

Posted 04/16/2011 09:20 PM   
Nothing? No answers at all if a 750w PSU can handle a 570 with a 275 for PhysX?
Nothing? No answers at all if a 750w PSU can handle a 570 with a 275 for PhysX?

Posted 04/17/2011 08:13 PM   
Probably would help to post your full system specs considering what your using will change what you need. I would say yes a 750 would be fine if your running 1 HD with no additional fans and 1 DVD Rom or Bluray drive and 0 overclocking. But god knows if you have 4 HDs and 2 DVD drives with a I7 OC to like 4.5ghz and 6 case fans :P.

1 570 requires at least a 550w (reccomended). Which is what I have in my com atm (1 570 GTX OC that is). When I was running my 570 and my 285gtx (both OC versions of the card) on my 850w Powersupply and a high overclock on my CPU, I ran into random restarts etc. I also run 3 HDs and a DVD drive with 5 Case fans + 1 huge case fan. My PSU is a tad old now but the random restarts went away when I took out my 285 gtx. I also OC my 570 more then the factory OC on it so it draws even more power.

Id say try it and if you don't get random restarts, your fine. Just remember not to use the SLI bridge connector.
Probably would help to post your full system specs considering what your using will change what you need. I would say yes a 750 would be fine if your running 1 HD with no additional fans and 1 DVD Rom or Bluray drive and 0 overclocking. But god knows if you have 4 HDs and 2 DVD drives with a I7 OC to like 4.5ghz and 6 case fans :P.

1 570 requires at least a 550w (reccomended). Which is what I have in my com atm (1 570 GTX OC that is). When I was running my 570 and my 285gtx (both OC versions of the card) on my 850w Powersupply and a high overclock on my CPU, I ran into random restarts etc. I also run 3 HDs and a DVD drive with 5 Case fans + 1 huge case fan. My PSU is a tad old now but the random restarts went away when I took out my 285 gtx. I also OC my 570 more then the factory OC on it so it draws even more power.

Id say try it and if you don't get random restarts, your fine. Just remember not to use the SLI bridge connector.

i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz

MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz DDR3

MSI GTX570 (OC) 786/4200 1.28gb Videocard

Sony Bravia 40" 120hz LCD(TV)

Posted 04/18/2011 03:06 AM   
Yes, that PSU will run both of them.
Yes, that PSU will run both of them.
Scroll To Top