2D Surround: Single GPU?
Hi there,

I have been learning that video cards that have dual GPU's can often have micro-stuttering issues just like SLI.

Knowing this, I was wondering if there was a way to get a GTX 580 to somehow run games on 3 Monitors without the need of SLI. Like say, using an SLI motherboard and the DVI port from a GTX 280 to simply display what the GTX 580 is rendering. Is this possible? I'd like to avoid all multi GPU setups while also using triple monitor resolutions like 5760x1200 for my games.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I have been learning that video cards that have dual GPU's can often have micro-stuttering issues just like SLI.

Knowing this, I was wondering if there was a way to get a GTX 580 to somehow run games on 3 Monitors without the need of SLI. Like say, using an SLI motherboard and the DVI port from a GTX 280 to simply display what the GTX 580 is rendering. Is this possible? I'd like to avoid all multi GPU setups while also using triple monitor resolutions like 5760x1200 for my games.

Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 3770k | 2x GTX 780's | 7GB DDR3 1333 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache | 1200 Watt PSU | 2D Surround resolution 5760x1200 | Windows 7 64bit

Posted 04/03/2011 11:47 AM   
[quote name='simplestone' date='03 April 2011 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1301831250' post='1218497']
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Sadly the only single Nvidia card that can manage that would be the GTX 590. And although a single cards its multi GPU because ih as two GPUs embedded on a single PCB. The GTX 580 can only handle 2 screens max.

As for micro stutter only in a few cases is that driver related. In most cases is usually a truput issue with the hardware itself, meaning it needs to be tweaked for max performance.
[quote name='simplestone' date='03 April 2011 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1301831250' post='1218497']

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Sadly the only single Nvidia card that can manage that would be the GTX 590. And although a single cards its multi GPU because ih as two GPUs embedded on a single PCB. The GTX 580 can only handle 2 screens max.

As for micro stutter only in a few cases is that driver related. In most cases is usually a truput issue with the hardware itself, meaning it needs to be tweaked for max performance.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 04/03/2011 01:40 PM   
If you want surround on a single GPU you have to go ATI.
All current single GPU NVidia cards can only drive 2 monitors, this is a hardware restriction.
Your only other options are something like the Matrox Tripple Head 2 GO, although they can be a total pig to set up and get working.
Or there is software SoftTH that attempts to do what you suggest, compatability is at best limited though.

If you're interested in 2D surround, you should read through the wide screen gaming forums, you'll get a lot more responses about various hardware configs.

All current single GPU NVidia cards can only drive 2 monitors, this is a hardware restriction.

Your only other options are something like the Matrox Tripple Head 2 GO, although they can be a total pig to set up and get working.

Or there is software SoftTH that attempts to do what you suggest, compatability is at best limited though.

If you're interested in 2D surround, you should read through the wide screen gaming forums, you'll get a lot more responses about various hardware configs.
Posted 04/03/2011 03:27 PM   
[quote name='ERP' date='03 April 2011 - 07:27 AM' timestamp='1301844437' post='1218583']

[/quote]

I currently have a Radeon 5870 at 5760x1200, but I'm rather limited with frame rate when it comes to games like Crysis 1 and 2. I'm afraid for future games like The Witcher 2, and Skyrim. I'm one of those who has to play all my games at maximum graphic settings. I have ran SLI before, and know of some people who ran dual GPU video cards who had those stuttering issues. Which is why I was looking at the GTX 580: same performance as a 5970 but with one GPU.
[quote name='ERP' date='03 April 2011 - 07:27 AM' timestamp='1301844437' post='1218583']

I currently have a Radeon 5870 at 5760x1200, but I'm rather limited with frame rate when it comes to games like Crysis 1 and 2. I'm afraid for future games like The Witcher 2, and Skyrim. I'm one of those who has to play all my games at maximum graphic settings. I have ran SLI before, and know of some people who ran dual GPU video cards who had those stuttering issues. Which is why I was looking at the GTX 580: same performance as a 5970 but with one GPU.

Intel i7 3770k | 2x GTX 780's | 7GB DDR3 1333 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache | 1200 Watt PSU | 2D Surround resolution 5760x1200 | Windows 7 64bit

Posted 04/04/2011 01:05 AM   
Scroll To Top