Three monitors, 1 Card Looking for card options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a particular card. Since money is not as limitless as I'd like it to be, getting a new computer isn't exactly an option. My system is a Dell Optiplex GX620 (Mini Tower). This particular model is a BTX form factor which means it's "backwards" from the more traditional ATX form factor motherboards (i.e. graphics have the fan facing up when their are inside). This also means that dual slotted cards are out of the question (there are only 4 slots, 2 PCI, 1 PCI-e & 1. There are some other size limitations but I'll point those out in a minute.

I'm looking for a single slotted graphics card that can run 3 monitors (DVIx2 & HDMI/Mini-HDMI or something like this). SLI is also not an option (as much as I wish it were). I found out that there are ATI cards that can run 3 monitors off of one card, but I'm not a big fan of ATI (at all!) so I'm gonna go Nvidia all the way on this until I find something. I don't care too much about the manufacturer either. The only other issue is the length of the card. It can't be too outrageous (9 inches give or take) same with height. Right now I have an 8600 GTS and an 8400 GS running which is brutal on my CPU and taking up RAM. Granted I can play games like Dragon Age and Lost Planet on pretty much max specs (excluding AA and V-Sync) and Crysis 2 on its lowest specs (though my FPS isn't super high it's still playable). Anyway, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for over a year now and any help on it would be very very appreciated. I've noticed there are many single slot GTS 450's out there but I can't find a 100% to answer to which of them (if any) can run 3 monitors off of 1 card without the need for SLI. To summarize, basically I'm looking for a single slot card that can run 3D Vision Surround with 1 card (No SLI).

Thanks for reading :)
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a particular card. Since money is not as limitless as I'd like it to be, getting a new computer isn't exactly an option. My system is a Dell Optiplex GX620 (Mini Tower). This particular model is a BTX form factor which means it's "backwards" from the more traditional ATX form factor motherboards (i.e. graphics have the fan facing up when their are inside). This also means that dual slotted cards are out of the question (there are only 4 slots, 2 PCI, 1 PCI-e & 1. There are some other size limitations but I'll point those out in a minute.

I'm looking for a single slotted graphics card that can run 3 monitors (DVIx2 & HDMI/Mini-HDMI or something like this). SLI is also not an option (as much as I wish it were). I found out that there are ATI cards that can run 3 monitors off of one card, but I'm not a big fan of ATI (at all!) so I'm gonna go Nvidia all the way on this until I find something. I don't care too much about the manufacturer either. The only other issue is the length of the card. It can't be too outrageous (9 inches give or take) same with height. Right now I have an 8600 GTS and an 8400 GS running which is brutal on my CPU and taking up RAM. Granted I can play games like Dragon Age and Lost Planet on pretty much max specs (excluding AA and V-Sync) and Crysis 2 on its lowest specs (though my FPS isn't super high it's still playable). Anyway, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for over a year now and any help on it would be very very appreciated. I've noticed there are many single slot GTS 450's out there but I can't find a 100% to answer to which of them (if any) can run 3 monitors off of 1 card without the need for SLI. To summarize, basically I'm looking for a single slot card that can run 3D Vision Surround with 1 card (No SLI).

Thanks for reading :)

Posted 03/27/2011 03:58 PM   
Nvidia surround requires SLI.
None of the single chip nvidia cards have enough hardware to drive 3 monitors simultaneously.
ATI cards do, but I still think you'll have problems finding a single slot card with enough power to make surround worthwhile.
Nvidia surround requires SLI.

None of the single chip nvidia cards have enough hardware to drive 3 monitors simultaneously.

ATI cards do, but I still think you'll have problems finding a single slot card with enough power to make surround worthwhile.
Posted 03/27/2011 04:12 PM   
A watercooled gtx590 is a single card that could run 3 monitors. Or you could try and find a single gtx295 also but then you won't be able to run 3D across 3 monitors.
A watercooled gtx590 is a single card that could run 3 monitors. Or you could try and find a single gtx295 also but then you won't be able to run 3D across 3 monitors.

Intel 2600K@4.7GHz | 3X Asus VG236H NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround® | Lian Li PC-6070 | Zalman 9900CCMAX | Zotac GTX580 3076Mb 3-way SLi | Corsair 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz CL6 | Windows 7 64 Bit | Hiper Type R Mark-II 880 Watt | Pioneer DVR-112D | LG BH10LS30 | Asus P67 Revolution | WD RaptorX 150Gb | Acer H5360 | Logitech mx518

Posted 03/27/2011 04:16 PM   
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll have to look into an ATI card until I'm able to upgrade my rig.
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll have to look into an ATI card until I'm able to upgrade my rig.

Posted 03/27/2011 05:24 PM   
I thought you ain't no fan of Ati ?
You can only run Crysis at full setting with 3dvision surround with a 590 in your case...
I thought you ain't no fan of Ati ?

You can only run Crysis at full setting with 3dvision surround with a 590 in your case...

Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz (3.75 Ghz)MSI MS7760 Motherboard, 6GB )2x MSI GTX670 (SLI),OCZ SSD 30Gb,OCZ SSD Agility 120Gb, Asus 3D VG278HR ,Optoma HD67 3D DLP Beamer with 95inch 2.5 gain screen.

Posted 03/27/2011 05:36 PM   
Scroll To Top