Multi display not working
First, I had this issue on an EVGA 480GTX, I than switched it out with a ATI 5870 while I waited for my Step-up 580GTX to show up. I did NOT have the problem with the ATI 5870, but when I received the 580GTX and installed it I had the same issue as the 480GTX.

Second, the issue: 480GTX - I plug one DVI into my 3D monitor "ACER GD235HZ", this is for extended display and if I want to do 3D. Next I plug either the Mini-Hdmi or the other DVI (I've tried both the results are the same) into an Hdmi switch. I have 3 displays, first display is "ACER G215H" is hooked to hdmi switch, 2nd display "ACER GD235HZ" is hooked to DVI, 3rd display "Samsung Syncmaster T240HD" is hooked to hdmi switch. Turn all monitors on, hdmi switch on, turn computer on the only display with anything is the "ACER GD235HZ" this is the one hooked directly to DVI on the card, after logging into Windows 7, open NVidia there is only one monitor available ("ACER GD235HZ"), if I open Display > screen resolution, only one display. By the way this is bad. If I unhook the DVI going directly to the "ACER GD235HZ" and leave the hdmi switch hooked up, reboot, I now have the hdmi switch displays working but I don't have the capability for 3D. 580GTX - operates the same as the 480GTX.

ATI 5870 - same setup, one DVI hooked directly to "ACER GD235HZ". Next, either DVI, Hdmi, or display port (I've tried all three, results are all the same), connect to Hdmi switch. Turn on all displays, turn on Hdmi switch, turn on computer, after logging into Windows 7, open Nvidia there are 2 monitors displayed the "Acer GD235HZ" and the "Acer G215H". By the way this is good. Of course I don't have 3d capability.

A note: I am not turning 3d on. I am only trying to get multi display working and have the capability of 3d. The reason I mention this is I know 3d needs 120 Hz which only the "ACER GD235HZ" has, 3d is disabled the whole time while trying to get multi display to work.

If I can't get this to work through the board, I might try it with a Manual DVI switch hooked between the card and the "ACER GD235HZ".

Hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks for any ideas or help.
First, I had this issue on an EVGA 480GTX, I than switched it out with a ATI 5870 while I waited for my Step-up 580GTX to show up. I did NOT have the problem with the ATI 5870, but when I received the 580GTX and installed it I had the same issue as the 480GTX.

Second, the issue: 480GTX - I plug one DVI into my 3D monitor "ACER GD235HZ", this is for extended display and if I want to do 3D. Next I plug either the Mini-Hdmi or the other DVI (I've tried both the results are the same) into an Hdmi switch. I have 3 displays, first display is "ACER G215H" is hooked to hdmi switch, 2nd display "ACER GD235HZ" is hooked to DVI, 3rd display "Samsung Syncmaster T240HD" is hooked to hdmi switch. Turn all monitors on, hdmi switch on, turn computer on the only display with anything is the "ACER GD235HZ" this is the one hooked directly to DVI on the card, after logging into Windows 7, open NVidia there is only one monitor available ("ACER GD235HZ"), if I open Display > screen resolution, only one display. By the way this is bad. If I unhook the DVI going directly to the "ACER GD235HZ" and leave the hdmi switch hooked up, reboot, I now have the hdmi switch displays working but I don't have the capability for 3D. 580GTX - operates the same as the 480GTX.

ATI 5870 - same setup, one DVI hooked directly to "ACER GD235HZ". Next, either DVI, Hdmi, or display port (I've tried all three, results are all the same), connect to Hdmi switch. Turn on all displays, turn on Hdmi switch, turn on computer, after logging into Windows 7, open Nvidia there are 2 monitors displayed the "Acer GD235HZ" and the "Acer G215H". By the way this is good. Of course I don't have 3d capability.

A note: I am not turning 3d on. I am only trying to get multi display working and have the capability of 3d. The reason I mention this is I know 3d needs 120 Hz which only the "ACER GD235HZ" has, 3d is disabled the whole time while trying to get multi display to work.

If I can't get this to work through the board, I might try it with a Manual DVI switch hooked between the card and the "ACER GD235HZ".

Hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

Posted 03/26/2011 03:39 PM   
Nvidia is great for games and game drivers, but they suck, suck, suck, for multi monitor support.

I never got it working right

I've tried a manual DVI switch on one output and an Hdmi on the other, and it will only show the DVI side even with the manual switch off.

I've used a Monoprice EDID detector, no change.

Alot of time the Nvidia control panel and Display > screen resolutions have different options

Nvidia only shows 59 hz alot of the time with no option for 60 hz.

With an ATI 5870, after the initial setup, it justs works, but again I lose the capability for 3d.

Has anyone got multi monitor support working with 2 different monitors, one hooked to DVI, and one hooked to the other DVI, with one of the monitors having 3d capabilities?
Nvidia is great for games and game drivers, but they suck, suck, suck, for multi monitor support.

I never got it working right

I've tried a manual DVI switch on one output and an Hdmi on the other, and it will only show the DVI side even with the manual switch off.

I've used a Monoprice EDID detector, no change.

Alot of time the Nvidia control panel and Display > screen resolutions have different options

Nvidia only shows 59 hz alot of the time with no option for 60 hz.

With an ATI 5870, after the initial setup, it justs works, but again I lose the capability for 3d.

Has anyone got multi monitor support working with 2 different monitors, one hooked to DVI, and one hooked to the other DVI, with one of the monitors having 3d capabilities?

Posted 03/27/2011 02:36 PM   
I haven't actually tried what you are describing, but I would be surprised if you could output one monitor at 120Hz and the other at 60Hz.

Can you get them both working at 60Hz?

J
I haven't actually tried what you are describing, but I would be surprised if you could output one monitor at 120Hz and the other at 60Hz.

Can you get them both working at 60Hz?

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/28/2011 07:31 AM   
I can get both monitors to work if I unplug the DVI cable that goes from the 580GTX board directly to the monitor, boot up the computer once I am in Windows I plug the DVI cable back into the board, go into Nvidia control panel and both monitors are there and they are running at 60 hz. Thats what I've been doing. If I want to run 3d I disable the 2nd monitor, run the 3d monitor at 120Hz, setup the 3d, and once I'm done with the 3d, I change it back to 60 Hz. reenable the 2nd monitor and everything is back to normal.

But I have to unplug the DVI cable from the board if I reboot or it will default to the one monitor.
I can get both monitors to work if I unplug the DVI cable that goes from the 580GTX board directly to the monitor, boot up the computer once I am in Windows I plug the DVI cable back into the board, go into Nvidia control panel and both monitors are there and they are running at 60 hz. Thats what I've been doing. If I want to run 3d I disable the 2nd monitor, run the 3d monitor at 120Hz, setup the 3d, and once I'm done with the 3d, I change it back to 60 Hz. reenable the 2nd monitor and everything is back to normal.

But I have to unplug the DVI cable from the board if I reboot or it will default to the one monitor.

Posted 03/28/2011 12:26 PM   
[quote name='Hillbilly Bill' date='28 March 2011 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1301315214' post='1214416']

[/quote]

How very odd... does it make any difference if you make the 120Hz monitor the secondary rather than the primary?

I'm afraid I only have a number of 60Hz monitors, and no 120Hz to test, but hopefully someone else on the forums with a 120Hz monitor will notice this topic and be able to assist you more.

J
[quote name='Hillbilly Bill' date='28 March 2011 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1301315214' post='1214416']

How very odd... does it make any difference if you make the 120Hz monitor the secondary rather than the primary?

I'm afraid I only have a number of 60Hz monitors, and no 120Hz to test, but hopefully someone else on the forums with a 120Hz monitor will notice this topic and be able to assist you more.

J

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/28/2011 03:32 PM   
Thank you JimBonBon for your questions, because of your 60 hz 120 hz question I went back to google and did another search " multi monitor one monitor 120 60 hz ". I got 2 bits of information first bit was make sure I was using dual link dvi cable for the 120 hz. I checked my cable and on the 120 hz I was using dual link, but on the 60 hz monitor I was using single link cable, I know that is fine, but I thought all my cables were dual link so I'll have to remember that if I ever switch that cable for testing purpose in the future.

The 2nd bit of information was more important : the 580 GTX Multi monitor trouble - it seems most people have narrowed it down to a bios issue on the 580 GTX with dual displays. The question was started on Jan. 21 2011 and as of Mar. 26th people are still putting comments. I updated mine to the .83, and of the few tests I ran it seems to be working, but I am always a little hesitant to say its fixed, need to give it a couple days of reboots.

I know Nvidia has a beta driver 267.31 that helps with multi monitors, but that did not fix my problem, this bios update seems to be working so far.

I will follow up in a couple days on my results, or sooner if it fails.

Thanks again JimBonBon.
Thank you JimBonBon for your questions, because of your 60 hz 120 hz question I went back to google and did another search " multi monitor one monitor 120 60 hz ". I got 2 bits of information first bit was make sure I was using dual link dvi cable for the 120 hz. I checked my cable and on the 120 hz I was using dual link, but on the 60 hz monitor I was using single link cable, I know that is fine, but I thought all my cables were dual link so I'll have to remember that if I ever switch that cable for testing purpose in the future.

The 2nd bit of information was more important : the 580 GTX Multi monitor trouble - it seems most people have narrowed it down to a bios issue on the 580 GTX with dual displays. The question was started on Jan. 21 2011 and as of Mar. 26th people are still putting comments. I updated mine to the .83, and of the few tests I ran it seems to be working, but I am always a little hesitant to say its fixed, need to give it a couple days of reboots.

I know Nvidia has a beta driver 267.31 that helps with multi monitors, but that did not fix my problem, this bios update seems to be working so far.

Thanks again JimBonBon.

Posted 03/28/2011 11:31 PM   
[quote name='Hillbilly Bill' date='29 March 2011 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1301355070' post='1214842']

Thanks again JimBonBon.
[/quote]

No worries, not sure I helped that much! :)

Hope it turns out the issue is fixed - please post back if you think it is.

J
[quote name='Hillbilly Bill' date='29 March 2011 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1301355070' post='1214842']

Thanks again JimBonBon.

No worries, not sure I helped that much! :)

Hope it turns out the issue is fixed - please post back if you think it is.

J

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/29/2011 07:41 AM   
Recently my GeForce8400GS with dual monitors (ASUS MS227 vga/DVI-D) on a Windows 7 64-bit PC was working great!

Then, I downloaded a Keil C Compiler ([url="https://www.keil.com/arm/demo/eval/arm.htm"]MDK420.EXE[/url]) and ran the install. At the point when USB drivers were installed, my second screen (DVI-D) went black /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> . I have tried uninstalling the Keil software, uninstalling and reinstalling the NVIDIA driver (270.61), swapping monitors, booting with just a DVI monitor connected, and so on. Still, the DVI monitor is not recognized.

Keil's response is : "We have had thousands of downloads and no problems"
To NVIDIA's credit they are working with me, asking that I try simple experiments. What I was really hoping for is some way to inspect the PlugnPlay registry values, as I assume that if a monitor is not detected, the problem lies there. Windows 7 has a new way of doing dealing with displays (QueryDisplayConfig and SetDisplayConfig), so not too surprising
that there could be a new problem. Does anyone know how to inspect monitor PnP values in the Registry?
Thanks!
Recently my GeForce8400GS with dual monitors (ASUS MS227 vga/DVI-D) on a Windows 7 64-bit PC was working great!

Then, I downloaded a Keil C Compiler (MDK420.EXE) and ran the install. At the point when USB drivers were installed, my second screen (DVI-D) went black /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> . I have tried uninstalling the Keil software, uninstalling and reinstalling the NVIDIA driver (270.61), swapping monitors, booting with just a DVI monitor connected, and so on. Still, the DVI monitor is not recognized.

Keil's response is : "We have had thousands of downloads and no problems"

To NVIDIA's credit they are working with me, asking that I try simple experiments. What I was really hoping for is some way to inspect the PlugnPlay registry values, as I assume that if a monitor is not detected, the problem lies there. Windows 7 has a new way of doing dealing with displays (QueryDisplayConfig and SetDisplayConfig), so not too surprising

that there could be a new problem. Does anyone know how to inspect monitor PnP values in the Registry?

Thanks!

Posted 04/26/2011 04:29 PM   
Scroll To Top