Note on GeForce GTX 590 Overcurrent Protection and Overclocking
In the web release driver of GeForce GTX 590, we have added some important enhancements to our overcurrent protection for overclocking. We recommend anyone doing overclocking or running stress apps to always use the latest web driver to get the fullest protection for your hardware. Please note that overcurrent protection does not eliminate the risks of overclocking, and hardware damage is possible, particularly when overvoltaging. We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking, and avoid working around overcurrent protection mechanisms for stress applications. This will help maintain GTX 590's great combination of acoustics, performance, and reliability. NVIDIA has worked with several watercooling companies to develop waterblocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk.

These are guidelines only - [b]any overclocking/overvoltaging can void your manufacturer's product warranty.[/b]
In the web release driver of GeForce GTX 590, we have added some important enhancements to our overcurrent protection for overclocking. We recommend anyone doing overclocking or running stress apps to always use the latest web driver to get the fullest protection for your hardware. Please note that overcurrent protection does not eliminate the risks of overclocking, and hardware damage is possible, particularly when overvoltaging. We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking, and avoid working around overcurrent protection mechanisms for stress applications. This will help maintain GTX 590's great combination of acoustics, performance, and reliability. NVIDIA has worked with several watercooling companies to develop waterblocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk.

These are guidelines only - any overclocking/overvoltaging can void your manufacturer's product warranty.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 03/24/2011 08:51 PM   
I'm glad you made this post Manuel, Damage Control is a must after I read Techpowerup's Review. 1.2v killed the card! Perplexed and upset at techpowerup for posting their review!
I'm glad you made this post Manuel, Damage Control is a must after I read Techpowerup's Review. 1.2v killed the card! Perplexed and upset at techpowerup for posting their review!

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 03/25/2011 02:48 AM   
Can we please see an end to the limiting of the over-voltage in the current drivers?

Even with modded bioses the drivers limit the absolute max voltage to .963 mV. I would like very much to go to default voltage and clocks on a 580....
Can we please see an end to the limiting of the over-voltage in the current drivers?

Even with modded bioses the drivers limit the absolute max voltage to .963 mV. I would like very much to go to default voltage and clocks on a 580....

Posted 03/27/2012 11:19 PM   
[quote="rush2049"]Can we please see an end to the limiting of the over-voltage in the current drivers? Even with modded bioses the drivers limit the absolute max voltage to .963 mV. I would like very much to go to default voltage and clocks on a 580....[/quote] Amen! Some of us just happen to have golden chips. I have an MSI 560 Ti Hawk that OC's to 1000MHz with stock voltage (1.0v) @ 60c under full load. Unfortunately, I have to use 296.10, or older, drivers to achieve anything beyond that, and even then some sort of other protection mechanism kicks in and reverts back to the stock 950MHz within 30 seconds (even with frozen P states). And... From what I've been able to gather, not even bios mods can break these limits (as stated above). I'm on the verge of breaking out a hex finder/editor, and seeing just how long it will take me to find the values responsible for said actions. My warranty has long been up, though, I'm pretty sure that's not Nvidias concern... I could bring to light a whole host of other shady practices Nvidia has indulged in but I think they'd get me banned...
rush2049 said:Can we please see an end to the limiting of the over-voltage in the current drivers?

Amen! Some of us just happen to have golden chips. I have an MSI 560 Ti Hawk that OC's to 1000MHz with stock voltage (1.0v) @ 60c under full load. Unfortunately, I have to use 296.10, or older, drivers to achieve anything beyond that, and even then some sort of other protection mechanism kicks in and reverts back to the stock 950MHz within 30 seconds (even with frozen P states). And... From what I've been able to gather, not even bios mods can break these limits (as stated above).

I'm on the verge of breaking out a hex finder/editor, and seeing just how long it will take me to find the values responsible for said actions. My warranty has long been up, though, I'm pretty sure that's not Nvidias concern...

I could bring to light a whole host of other shady practices Nvidia has indulged in but I think they'd get me banned...

Posted 12/12/2012 06:23 AM   
So how about it Nvidia, when will you unlock these cards and drivers that I paid good money for and I own not you. Since when has Nvidia been dictators? It's common knowledge that there is a limit to how high one can overvolt these cards to and if people want to fry their cards well it's tough titties for them. If this is how it's going to be for future cards I'm changing to ATI.
So how about it Nvidia, when will you unlock these cards and drivers that I paid good money for and I own not you. Since when has Nvidia been dictators?
It's common knowledge that there is a limit to how high one can overvolt these cards to and if people want to fry their cards well it's tough titties for them.
If this is how it's going to be for future cards I'm changing to ATI.

Posted 05/31/2013 10:43 PM   
Scroll To Top