Control Panel can't display Extended DualView
Hi.

I am trying to setup DualView on my XP machine but the new NVidia Control Panel (v3.5.797.0) is too limited in that regard as it offers merely Single, Clone and Span. However, I want an Extended view mode where only the desktop area is spanned - neither the Windows taskbar, nor the maximized application windows. The last version that I know of the Control Panel was capable of doing that.

Is there any known workaround?

Thanks.

Oh, and I tried to use your forum search function several times but either it didn't work at all or it delivered too many results.
Hi.

I am trying to setup DualView on my XP machine but the new NVidia Control Panel (v3.5.797.0) is too limited in that regard as it offers merely Single, Clone and Span. However, I want an Extended view mode where only the desktop area is spanned - neither the Windows taskbar, nor the maximized application windows. The last version that I know of the Control Panel was capable of doing that.

Is there any known workaround?

Thanks.

Oh, and I tried to use your forum search function several times but either it didn't work at all or it delivered too many results.

Posted 03/19/2011 09:34 PM   
Not a single reply after 4oo thread views? (o.O )
Not a single reply after 4oo thread views? (o.O )

Posted 03/30/2011 01:41 PM   
Hi WoodrowShigeru. Can you post a screenshot of the page in the control panel you are looking at?

Have you tried enabling the display through Windows Display settings?

J
Hi WoodrowShigeru. Can you post a screenshot of the page in the control panel you are looking at?

Have you tried enabling the display through Windows Display settings?

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/30/2011 07:19 PM   
Hi, thanks for the answer. Here is the screenshot:

[URL=http://www.imagebanana.com/view/wn7uidgr/nvidiacontrolpanel.png][IMG]http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/wn7uidgr/thumb/nvidiacontrolpanel.png[/IMG][/URL]

> Have you tried enabling the display through Windows Display settings?

I don't know where you can do that, if that is possible. I looked but there doesn't seem to be a tab under Desktop Properties > Settings > Advanced > ... There is a monitor tab, but that only lets me change the refresh rate and access the device manager.

I don't know where you can do that, if that is possible. I looked but there doesn't seem to be a tab under Desktop Properties > Settings > Advanced > ... There is a monitor tab, but that only lets me change the refresh rate and access the device manager.

Posted 03/30/2011 09:40 PM   
[quote name='WoodrowShigeru' date='30 March 2011 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1301521233' post='1216239']

[URL=http://www.imagebanana.com/view/wn7uidgr/nvidiacontrolpanel.png][IMG]http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/wn7uidgr/thumb/nvidiacontrolpanel.png[/IMG][/URL]

[/quote]

What happens if you change it back to single mode (only show one display) temporarily, does this change the available options?

To configure it from Windows you will need to set it back to 'only use one display' anyway. Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties'. From here pick the 'Settings' tab, and you should see both your displays. Right click on the monitor that is not attached and enable it, set the resolution, and apply.

J
[quote name='WoodrowShigeru' date='30 March 2011 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1301521233' post='1216239']

What happens if you change it back to single mode (only show one display) temporarily, does this change the available options?

To configure it from Windows you will need to set it back to 'only use one display' anyway. Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties'. From here pick the 'Settings' tab, and you should see both your displays. Right click on the monitor that is not attached and enable it, set the resolution, and apply.

J

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/31/2011 07:26 AM   
[s]No, the options stay the same whatever radio box I choose. Only the combobox preselects monitor setups (either one for single, or the two combinations "this monitor on the left, the other one on the right" and vice versa). The combobox also doesn't have more options depending on what radio box I select.[/s]

I found it! If you right click on the desktop, there are "Properties", "NVidia Control Panel" and also a third related bullet item called "nView Properties". This one has much more features and is less restricted.

That feature has been hidden really well. But I'm glad I'm finally back on dual-setup-mode. Thank you for your help.

Btw, the Desktop Properties > Settings tab does [i]not[/i] show two monitors, only my primary one. At least on my PC it doesn't show two.
No, the options stay the same whatever radio box I choose. Only the combobox preselects monitor setups (either one for single, or the two combinations "this monitor on the left, the other one on the right" and vice versa). The combobox also doesn't have more options depending on what radio box I select.

I found it! If you right click on the desktop, there are "Properties", "NVidia Control Panel" and also a third related bullet item called "nView Properties". This one has much more features and is less restricted.

That feature has been hidden really well. But I'm glad I'm finally back on dual-setup-mode. Thank you for your help.

Btw, the Desktop Properties > Settings tab does not show two monitors, only my primary one. At least on my PC it doesn't show two.

Posted 03/31/2011 01:47 PM   
[quote name='WoodrowShigeru' date='31 March 2011 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1301579229' post='1216690']
[s]No, the options stay the same whatever radio box I choose. Only the combobox preselects monitor setups (either one for single, or the two combinations "this monitor on the left, the other one on the right" and vice versa). The combobox also doesn't have more options depending on what radio box I select.[/s]

Btw, the Desktop Properties > Settings tab does [i]not[/i] show two monitors, only my primary one. At least on my PC it doesn't show two.
[/quote]

Ah, good find - I am running Windows 7 and forgot nView was supported with GeForce cards on XP.

To expand on that actually - nView is not available with GeForce cards on Windows 7, only Quadro cards, therefore if you upgrade OS you will lose it. You will of course still be able to setup multiple monitors in Windows 7 and in fact the OS itself is much better at handling multiple displays and snapping windows to monitor boundaries etc.

J
[quote name='WoodrowShigeru' date='31 March 2011 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1301579229' post='1216690']

No, the options stay the same whatever radio box I choose. Only the combobox preselects monitor setups (either one for single, or the two combinations "this monitor on the left, the other one on the right" and vice versa). The combobox also doesn't have more options depending on what radio box I select.

Btw, the Desktop Properties > Settings tab does not show two monitors, only my primary one. At least on my PC it doesn't show two.

Ah, good find - I am running Windows 7 and forgot nView was supported with GeForce cards on XP.

To expand on that actually - nView is not available with GeForce cards on Windows 7, only Quadro cards, therefore if you upgrade OS you will lose it. You will of course still be able to setup multiple monitors in Windows 7 and in fact the OS itself is much better at handling multiple displays and snapping windows to monitor boundaries etc.

J

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/31/2011 03:00 PM   
Well, there still is a minor issue that I already reported [url=http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php]here[/url], namely that applications with fullscreen mode (Videolan VLC, Picasa Photo Viewer, or even the Alt+Tab Windows application selector) still span over two screens, regardless of the settings - but I finally have two screens again which is the most important thing.

Btw: how do you use the search function of this board?

I entered <nview individual> into the (regular) search field but this is always interpreted as <nview OR individual>. How do I search for AND ? "AND" does not work, "+" does not work - even searching for a forced string with spaces like <"individual settings"> doesn't work and it gets split up into <individual OR settings>. The advanced search doesn't have any checkboxes to that effect either.

EDIT: That's odd: now the DualView setup works flawlessly. Full screen mode is displayed on only one screen, the NVidia Control Panel options list for multiple monitor setups is now appended with this "Configured indipendantly from each other (Dual View)", the Windows Desktop Properties > Settings tab now shows both monitors.

I guess I just had to restart (although I thought I had). There could have been a popup, but oh well ...
Well, there still is a minor issue that I already reported here, namely that applications with fullscreen mode (Videolan VLC, Picasa Photo Viewer, or even the Alt+Tab Windows application selector) still span over two screens, regardless of the settings - but I finally have two screens again which is the most important thing.

Btw: how do you use the search function of this board?

I entered <nview individual> into the (regular) search field but this is always interpreted as <nview OR individual>. How do I search for AND ? "AND" does not work, "+" does not work - even searching for a forced string with spaces like <"individual settings"> doesn't work and it gets split up into <individual OR settings>. The advanced search doesn't have any checkboxes to that effect either.

EDIT: That's odd: now the DualView setup works flawlessly. Full screen mode is displayed on only one screen, the NVidia Control Panel options list for multiple monitor setups is now appended with this "Configured indipendantly from each other (Dual View)", the Windows Desktop Properties > Settings tab now shows both monitors.

I guess I just had to restart (although I thought I had). There could have been a popup, but oh well ...

Posted 03/31/2011 03:30 PM   
Scroll To Top