Upgrade from nVidia GeForce 6150SE Looking to upgrade graphics for gaming
I have a HP Pavilion Elite M9402f desktop
My current graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 6150SE, integrated in the motherboard.
I know I have to upgrade the PSU so that's no problem.
I'm just having a difficult time of what to buy because I'm not sure what my computer can handle and what product is good!
My price range would be anywhere from $100 - $250.
Any options of what graphics cards would be good?? Suggestions please!

[b]Base processor[/b]
Phenom-9650 (A) 2.3 GHz (95W)
-2000 MHz HyperTransport 1.0
-Socket AM2+

[b]Motherboard[/b]
-Manufacturer: Asus
-Motherboard Name:M2N68-LA
-HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra3-GL8E

[b]Power supply[/b]
-300W

[b]Expansion Slots[/b]
-PCI
-PCI Express x16
-PCI Express x1

[b]Hard drive[/b]
-640 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
-7200 rpm

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

My current graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 6150SE, integrated in the motherboard.

I'm just having a difficult time of what to buy because I'm not sure what my computer can handle and what product is good!

Base processor

-Socket AM2+

Motherboard

Power supply

-300W

Expansion Slots

-PCI

-PCI Express x16

-PCI Express x1

Hard drive

-7200 rpm

Posted 03/06/2011 08:42 PM   
[quote name='Airyk' date='06 March 2011 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1299444178' post='1203273']

[b]Base processor[/b]
-Socket AM2+

[b]Motherboard[/b]

[b]Power supply[/b]
-300W

[b]Expansion Slots[/b]
-PCI
-PCI Express x16
-PCI Express x1

[b]Hard drive[/b]
-7200 rpm

[/quote]

You could definitely use a video card upgrade, however, with only a 300watt power supply, you may not be able to upgrade to a very high powered card. Most prebuilt systems from major companies only put in a power supply that is just good enough to handle everything in the system as it is, in its stock configuration. To get a powerful graphics card, you would mostly likely have to upgrade the power supply. That said, it depends on what you are looking for. You can get a modest, cheap upgrade that will increase your performance and not use too much extra power.
[quote name='Airyk' date='06 March 2011 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1299444178' post='1203273']

Base processor

-Socket AM2+

Motherboard

Power supply

-300W

Expansion Slots

-PCI

-PCI Express x16

-PCI Express x1

Hard drive

-7200 rpm

You could definitely use a video card upgrade, however, with only a 300watt power supply, you may not be able to upgrade to a very high powered card. Most prebuilt systems from major companies only put in a power supply that is just good enough to handle everything in the system as it is, in its stock configuration. To get a powerful graphics card, you would mostly likely have to upgrade the power supply. That said, it depends on what you are looking for. You can get a modest, cheap upgrade that will increase your performance and not use too much extra power.

Feel free to add me on Yahoo! @ becandl, on MSN @ becandl@gmail.com or e-mail me at the same address with any questions, I will help as best I can. (I also have BBM)

Posted 03/07/2011 02:00 PM   
[quote name='becandl' date='07 March 2011 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1299506435' post='1203619']
[/quote]

I did mention that I was going to upgrade my PSU. Probably to a 500w or 550w. My price range is anywhere from $100-$250 I'm just looking for some suggestions. I don't want to get duped on a bad graphics card.
[quote name='becandl' date='07 March 2011 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1299506435' post='1203619']

I did mention that I was going to upgrade my PSU. Probably to a 500w or 550w. My price range is anywhere from $100-$250 I'm just looking for some suggestions. I don't want to get duped on a bad graphics card.

Posted 03/08/2011 04:06 AM   
[quote name='Airyk' date='07 March 2011 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1299557163' post='1204003']
[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry I missed that part, my bad!

With a 500watt power supply you have a lot more headroom if that's what you are going for. You can probably get something like a [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130564"]GTX460[/url], which is right in the middle of your price range and is a very good mid-range card. If you want to step up a bit you can go for something like a 560Ti, which would be on the high end of your price range but would get you extremely good performance. Probably a little bit too pricey and high powered for what you are looking for though, haha. It all depends on what games you are going to be playing and what sort of horsepower you need. You are coming from an incredibly under powered card so you would be just fine with something like a GT220 or around there. If you need me to be more specific in terms of cards let me know, I'm just throwing out some ideas.
[quote name='Airyk' date='07 March 2011 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1299557163' post='1204003']

Oh I'm sorry I missed that part, my bad!

With a 500watt power supply you have a lot more headroom if that's what you are going for. You can probably get something like a GTX460, which is right in the middle of your price range and is a very good mid-range card. If you want to step up a bit you can go for something like a 560Ti, which would be on the high end of your price range but would get you extremely good performance. Probably a little bit too pricey and high powered for what you are looking for though, haha. It all depends on what games you are going to be playing and what sort of horsepower you need. You are coming from an incredibly under powered card so you would be just fine with something like a GT220 or around there. If you need me to be more specific in terms of cards let me know, I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Feel free to add me on Yahoo! @ becandl, on MSN @ becandl@gmail.com or e-mail me at the same address with any questions, I will help as best I can. (I also have BBM)

Posted 03/08/2011 11:13 PM   
Scroll To Top