Uninstall cannot continue. Found New Hardware Wizard is open. Strange error message while uninstalli
Got in a workstation from a user where he had tried to uninstall drivers (and nView and PhysX), but get the following message:

[i]Uninstall cannot continue.
Found New Hardware Wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished.[/i]

I cannot see any hardware wizard open, and this happens only when we uninstall the nVidia programs (from Control Panel). I tried to uninstall a couple of other unrelated programs, and got no error.

I also switched card from 8800 GTS to an 8800 GT I had laying around (the old showed some artifacts on the screen during booting), and removed the drivers using Driver Sweeper in safe mode. I tried to install new driver from the autodetect in www.nvidia.com, but got the same message. Right-clicking on the device in Device Manager, and letting it install automatically worked though, so the machine is up and running so far.

Anybody seen this error, and have tips how to fix it?
Got in a workstation from a user where he had tried to uninstall drivers (and nView and PhysX), but get the following message:

Uninstall cannot continue.

Found New Hardware Wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished.

I cannot see any hardware wizard open, and this happens only when we uninstall the nVidia programs (from Control Panel). I tried to uninstall a couple of other unrelated programs, and got no error.

I also switched card from 8800 GTS to an 8800 GT I had laying around (the old showed some artifacts on the screen during booting), and removed the drivers using Driver Sweeper in safe mode. I tried to install new driver from the autodetect in www.nvidia.com, but got the same message. Right-clicking on the device in Device Manager, and letting it install automatically worked though, so the machine is up and running so far.

Anybody seen this error, and have tips how to fix it?

Posted 02/28/2011 08:34 PM   
I am having a very similar issue. "Found new hardware wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished." I am trying to install the updated driver for my ION. My system process is using 20-60% of the processor and I can't figure out why. I disabled all startup programs, disabled massive amount of services, and did many other things to try to fix this. So I decided to update my driver. But it wont let me update because it says the found new hardware wizard is open, BUT ITS NOT OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even scanned for new hardware and found nothing (duh I knew that). So what gives? I can't figure this out.
I am having a very similar issue. "Found new hardware wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished." I am trying to install the updated driver for my ION. My system process is using 20-60% of the processor and I can't figure out why. I disabled all startup programs, disabled massive amount of services, and did many other things to try to fix this. So I decided to update my driver. But it wont let me update because it says the found new hardware wizard is open, BUT ITS NOT OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even scanned for new hardware and found nothing (duh I knew that). So what gives? I can't figure this out.

Posted 07/07/2011 06:10 PM   
[quote name='Hfactor' date='07 July 2011 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1310062212' post='1261490']disabled massive amount of services[/quote]

This is actually one way to cause the problem (and/or make the problem worse). After reboot you will have to wait a while for the hardware wizard message to go away. Windows is choking on services configuration.
[quote name='Hfactor' date='07 July 2011 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1310062212' post='1261490']disabled massive amount of services

This is actually one way to cause the problem (and/or make the problem worse). After reboot you will have to wait a while for the hardware wizard message to go away. Windows is choking on services configuration.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 07/07/2011 06:30 PM   
Press the F8 button before the Windows loading screen to boot into safemode, then uninstall the drivers.

Amorphous
Press the F8 button before the Windows loading screen to boot into safemode, then uninstall the drivers.

Amorphous

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 07/07/2011 06:51 PM   
[quote name='NV Amorphous' date='07 July 2011 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1310064697' post='1261512']
Amorphous
[/quote]

[color="#008080"]After you uninstall the old video driver and reboot your PC then Windows may want to install a generic video driver and if it wants to do that let it do that and finish because you probably won't be able to install your new video driver until it's done with that.[/color]
[quote name='NV Amorphous' date='07 July 2011 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1310064697' post='1261512']

Amorphous

After you uninstall the old video driver and reboot your PC then Windows may want to install a generic video driver and if it wants to do that let it do that and finish because you probably won't be able to install your new video driver until it's done with that.

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 07/07/2011 07:57 PM   
So I think I found the source of the problem, although I am not sure how to fix it yet. I think the problem is Windows Installer. Apparently installations or uninstallations can fail. If this happens Windows Installer gets confused and you can't install anything / uninstall anything and the System process will be using 20-60% of your CPU at all times. I went into safe mode and took note of what services were active and made sure only those services turned on under my profile. Under safe mode the system was at 0% when idling. Even with the exact same services as safe mode my system still was at 20-60% use. So I tried pushing F8 again and using "The last known good configuration" Once again I had the same services enabled as safe mode only this time System process was at 0% while idle. I opened up services, task manager, and tried reinstalling the nvidia driver. As soon as the windows installer service starts system jumps up to 20-60% use and the installation fails everytime. I tried installing the latest windows installer http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483 and this didnt fix it. I also tried restoring to a previous state but this would always end in failure because it uses the windows installer (I think) and it comes to a halt at "Restoring Files". So basically my Windows Installer service is corrupt and I can't find a way to fix it. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to reformat to windows XP pro. I have XP home on my HP mini 311 and if I had pro I could open cmd and do tasklist to see what the hell is the true root of the problem, but no Bill Gates doesn't give XP home users that feature.

Now I gotta figure out how to make a bootable thumb drive with windows XP pro + SP3 on it.

There is even a microsoft program called Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard that is designed to fix this problem but since my Windows Installer is corrupt I can't even install it.
So I think I found the source of the problem, although I am not sure how to fix it yet. I think the problem is Windows Installer. Apparently installations or uninstallations can fail. If this happens Windows Installer gets confused and you can't install anything / uninstall anything and the System process will be using 20-60% of your CPU at all times. I went into safe mode and took note of what services were active and made sure only those services turned on under my profile. Under safe mode the system was at 0% when idling. Even with the exact same services as safe mode my system still was at 20-60% use. So I tried pushing F8 again and using "The last known good configuration" Once again I had the same services enabled as safe mode only this time System process was at 0% while idle. I opened up services, task manager, and tried reinstalling the nvidia driver. As soon as the windows installer service starts system jumps up to 20-60% use and the installation fails everytime. I tried installing the latest windows installer http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483 and this didnt fix it. I also tried restoring to a previous state but this would always end in failure because it uses the windows installer (I think) and it comes to a halt at "Restoring Files". So basically my Windows Installer service is corrupt and I can't find a way to fix it. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to reformat to windows XP pro. I have XP home on my HP mini 311 and if I had pro I could open cmd and do tasklist to see what the hell is the true root of the problem, but no Bill Gates doesn't give XP home users that feature.

Now I gotta figure out how to make a bootable thumb drive with windows XP pro + SP3 on it.

There is even a microsoft program called Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard that is designed to fix this problem but since my Windows Installer is corrupt I can't even install it.

Posted 07/08/2011 08:19 PM   
Well The problem was indeed a corrupt Windows Installer service. How to fix this? I don't Know. The only way to fix it i found was to reformat. If you have an HP MINI 311 reformating via USB drive is quite the task. I detailed everything I had to do in order to reformat on the myhpmini website. Heres the link! http://www.myhpmini.com/forum/hp-311-installtion-xp-pro-usb-bricked-my-computer-need-help-t4892.html

If anyone else this error sorry I think you're SOL. If the Windows Installer service becomes corrupt I found no way to fix it without reinstalling windows (yay microsoft way to go!)

Good Luck!
Well The problem was indeed a corrupt Windows Installer service. How to fix this? I don't Know. The only way to fix it i found was to reformat. If you have an HP MINI 311 reformating via USB drive is quite the task. I detailed everything I had to do in order to reformat on the myhpmini website. Heres the link! http://www.myhpmini.com/forum/hp-311-installtion-xp-pro-usb-bricked-my-computer-need-help-t4892.html

If anyone else this error sorry I think you're SOL. If the Windows Installer service becomes corrupt I found no way to fix it without reinstalling windows (yay microsoft way to go!)

Good Luck!

Posted 07/30/2011 03:54 PM   
Scroll To Top