2nd Graphics card and still BSOD Help needed :(
So, last week my desktop started playing up. BSOD's especially when using media aps. Also sometimes just froze and re-started. Then i got some pixilation before the PC completely packed up and died (graphics wise.)
I took my card (8300GS) to a friends house and after he tried the card on 1 of his machines he got some errors and pixel problems. New card needed.... easily solved!
Today i picked up an 8400GS, Slotted it in my machine and cranked it up. Upon restart i was told new drivers were being installed and once that was finished and all was 'installed OK' i was prompted to restart which i did. Just before the login screen appeared i got a BSOD (STOP: 0x00000116)
I've tried:
Reboot in safe mode, uninstall driver, re-install driver from disc that came with card (same BSOD)
As above but install driver from nvidia website (same BSOD)
Took out card and re-inserted

I can disable within safe mode then start the PC normally without new card and it works fine, it's only when i try and get this card working do i encounter the BSOD.
The stop code is always 116 but the codes after vary.

Underneath the stop codes the next line is:
*** nvlddmkm.sys - Address 900E2248 base at 90003000, Datestamp 4c6d359b

I don't know what else to try? Can this new card also be faulty or should i be looking at a different problem?

Thanks for any help. To top this off i got a new desktop delivered today and it looks like they forgot to put an OS on it..... sigh........ bad day :(

PS... just tested new card on friends PC and works fine /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
So, last week my desktop started playing up. BSOD's especially when using media aps. Also sometimes just froze and re-started. Then i got some pixilation before the PC completely packed up and died (graphics wise.)

I took my card (8300GS) to a friends house and after he tried the card on 1 of his machines he got some errors and pixel problems. New card needed.... easily solved!

Today i picked up an 8400GS, Slotted it in my machine and cranked it up. Upon restart i was told new drivers were being installed and once that was finished and all was 'installed OK' i was prompted to restart which i did. Just before the login screen appeared i got a BSOD (STOP: 0x00000116)

I've tried:

Reboot in safe mode, uninstall driver, re-install driver from disc that came with card (same BSOD)

As above but install driver from nvidia website (same BSOD)

Took out card and re-inserted

I can disable within safe mode then start the PC normally without new card and it works fine, it's only when i try and get this card working do i encounter the BSOD.

The stop code is always 116 but the codes after vary.

Underneath the stop codes the next line is:

*** nvlddmkm.sys - Address 900E2248 base at 90003000, Datestamp 4c6d359b

I don't know what else to try? Can this new card also be faulty or should i be looking at a different problem?

Thanks for any help. To top this off i got a new desktop delivered today and it looks like they forgot to put an OS on it..... sigh........ bad day :(

PS... just tested new card on friends PC and works fine /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 02/17/2011 09:48 PM   
Update:
Had a play with my ram. Took out 1 stick and rebooted PC..... worked fine, no BSOD :)
Swapped sticks and rebooted and again, no BSOD :)
So.... seems it's working only with 1 stick of ram and BSODing with 2.

Any ideas what this points to? Is it PSU? The PSU def seems quieter with only 1 stick.

Current PSU details:
(+3.3V & +5V = 115W max) Total output continuous shall not exceed 250 watts

This is gonna be a spare PC for d-loading music/movies and maybe playing media on TV at some stage. No gaming.
If it is a PSU problem????? could i get a different, less sapping graphics card rather than replacing PSU?

Cheers 4 advice
Update:

Had a play with my ram. Took out 1 stick and rebooted PC..... worked fine, no BSOD :)

Swapped sticks and rebooted and again, no BSOD :)

So.... seems it's working only with 1 stick of ram and BSODing with 2.

Any ideas what this points to? Is it PSU? The PSU def seems quieter with only 1 stick.

Current PSU details:

(+3.3V & +5V = 115W max) Total output continuous shall not exceed 250 watts

This is gonna be a spare PC for d-loading music/movies and maybe playing media on TV at some stage. No gaming.

If it is a PSU problem????? could i get a different, less sapping graphics card rather than replacing PSU?

Cheers 4 advice

Posted 02/18/2011 12:40 AM   
You may want to take a read though this rather lengthy and detailed thread. You aren't the only one that has had this problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkmsys&st=0
You may want to take a read though this rather lengthy and detailed thread. You aren't the only one that has had this problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkmsys&st=0

Posted 02/18/2011 12:50 AM   
Scroll To Top