Need the right power supply for GTX 580
  1 / 2    
I just got a GeForce GTX 580 and I'm lacking in the power department. Since I'm new to this I don't understand the 6-pin and 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector business, and it says I need about 650W and my unit has only 330W total power. So I'm asking for a link to a suggestion of a power supply I should buy, and maybe direct me to a good tutorial, perhaps with pictures, on how to connect everything. Thank you in advance. If you need my other system specs just let me know.
I just got a GeForce GTX 580 and I'm lacking in the power department. Since I'm new to this I don't understand the 6-pin and 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector business, and it says I need about 650W and my unit has only 330W total power. So I'm asking for a link to a suggestion of a power supply I should buy, and maybe direct me to a good tutorial, perhaps with pictures, on how to connect everything. Thank you in advance. If you need my other system specs just let me know.

Posted 02/12/2011 03:30 AM   
I would get something over 750W. Go on newegg and find something to your budget....

As for connecting the cables? simple process.

1: hold the appropriate cable in your hand.
2: insert the cable into the appropriate slot.
I would get something over 750W. Go on newegg and find something to your budget....

As for connecting the cables? simple process.

1: hold the appropriate cable in your hand.

2: insert the cable into the appropriate slot.
Well I have questions, like, are the cables meant to connect directly from the card to the power unit? I'm also not even really sure which ones are which. There are 2 outlets in the side of the GTX580. I'm assuming each one gets filled. Where the other ends go I have no idea. They don't seem long enough to reach the power supply. I think I saw something about not plugging them into the motherboard. So I'm a little confused. It would be nice to have some pictures.
Well I have questions, like, are the cables meant to connect directly from the card to the power unit? I'm also not even really sure which ones are which. There are 2 outlets in the side of the GTX580. I'm assuming each one gets filled. Where the other ends go I have no idea. They don't seem long enough to reach the power supply. I think I saw something about not plugging them into the motherboard. So I'm a little confused. It would be nice to have some pictures.

Posted 02/12/2011 03:53 AM   
[quote name='wickkidda' date='11 February 2011 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1297481411' post='1192483']
[/quote]

[i]You should always post your system specifications, especially when you are planning on incorporating a higher end video solution if you are uncomfortable; reason being is, although, graphics cards tend to be the easiest in terms of point A. to point B. performance gains in the upgrade path department, the current lack of a power supply to meet the needs of a single 580 GPU would give most users around here the impression your system is quite dated. So, before proceeding please list the primary components including your current operating system, and we can make sure we lead you down the right path.[/i]

[i]As far as a wiring tutorial, how familiar are you the names of each type, ergo, SATA, Molex, 3-Pin, and so on? [/i]

EDIT: [i]I am assuming you have a prefabricated retail unit, such as a Dell, or an HP. If so, that will make the wiring process a bit more difficult, but to answer your questing, yes, cables tend to go directly from the PSU to the compatible(required) power sockets. Extensions do exist, but most often are not necessary for the majority of builds.[/i]

[i]Also, you said you have 330Watt PSU? What made you purcahse a 580GTX? This thread is fishy...[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='wickkidda' date='11 February 2011 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1297481411' post='1192483']

You should always post your system specifications, especially when you are planning on incorporating a higher end video solution if you are uncomfortable; reason being is, although, graphics cards tend to be the easiest in terms of point A. to point B. performance gains in the upgrade path department, the current lack of a power supply to meet the needs of a single 580 GPU would give most users around here the impression your system is quite dated. So, before proceeding please list the primary components including your current operating system, and we can make sure we lead you down the right path.

As far as a wiring tutorial, how familiar are you the names of each type, ergo, SATA, Molex, 3-Pin, and so on?

EDIT: I am assuming you have a prefabricated retail unit, such as a Dell, or an HP. If so, that will make the wiring process a bit more difficult, but to answer your questing, yes, cables tend to go directly from the PSU to the compatible(required) power sockets. Extensions do exist, but most often are not necessary for the majority of builds.

Also, you said you have 330Watt PSU? What made you purcahse a 580GTX? This thread is fishy...

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 02/12/2011 03:54 AM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 February 2011 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1297482843' post='1192487']
[i]You should always post your system specifications, especially when you are planning on incorporating a higher end video solution if you are uncomfortable; reason being is, although, graphics cards tend to be the easiest in terms of point A. to point B. performance gains in the upgrade path department, the current lack of a power supply to meet the needs of a single 580 GPU would give most users around here the impression your system is quite dated. So, before proceeding please list the primary components including your current operating system, and we can make sure we lead you down the right path.[/i]

[i]As far as a wiring tutorial, how familiar are you the names of each type ergo, SATA, Molex, 3-Pin, and so on? [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

3.0 gHz CPU
2 GB RAM

And, I'm not familiar with those terms.

I only dabble in this stuff once every few years so I have a question about power supplies. Are these new ones supposed to have outlets right on the side of them, or do these 6-pin and 8-pin cables hook up to other cables coming out of the power supply?
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 February 2011 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1297482843' post='1192487']

You should always post your system specifications, especially when you are planning on incorporating a higher end video solution if you are uncomfortable; reason being is, although, graphics cards tend to be the easiest in terms of point A. to point B. performance gains in the upgrade path department, the current lack of a power supply to meet the needs of a single 580 GPU would give most users around here the impression your system is quite dated. So, before proceeding please list the primary components including your current operating system, and we can make sure we lead you down the right path.

As far as a wiring tutorial, how familiar are you the names of each type ergo, SATA, Molex, 3-Pin, and so on?

-Hooks

3.0 gHz CPU

2 GB RAM

And, I'm not familiar with those terms.

I only dabble in this stuff once every few years so I have a question about power supplies. Are these new ones supposed to have outlets right on the side of them, or do these 6-pin and 8-pin cables hook up to other cables coming out of the power supply?

Posted 02/12/2011 03:58 AM   
[quote name='wickkidda' date='12 February 2011 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1297483100' post='1192489']
3.0 gHz CPU
[/quote]

What type of CPU exactly? Core i7, Core 2 Quad, AMDX4 etc

[quote name='wickkidda' date='12 February 2011 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1297483100' post='1192489']

3.0 gHz CPU

What type of CPU exactly? Core i7, Core 2 Quad, AMDX4 etc

As for a guide if need be...

Install the GPU into the slot as normal.

Identify the plugs:
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/nd0l5h.jpg[/IMG]

Find the 8-Pin PCI-e connector:
[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2mdjryb.jpg[/IMG]

Insert it:
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/vv029.jpg[/IMG]

Find the 6-pin PCI-e connector:
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/xf3zaw.jpg[/IMG]

Insert that too:
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/ifqyqu.jpg[/IMG]

Done. Boot and install drivers.
As for a guide if need be...

Install the GPU into the slot as normal.

Identify the plugs:

Find the 8-Pin PCI-e connector:

Insert it:

Find the 6-pin PCI-e connector:

Insert that too:

Done. Boot and install drivers.
nice raptor! so easy a cave man could do it. but back to the questions about a new PSU (power supply unit) the card recomends what, 600W+? so if just the card takes 600w, then you'll be safe to think that all your other stuff like case fans, motherboard, overclocking (if any), and optical drives, will take a bit more power too. so if you want to not really have to worry about upgrading in a few more years, you could get a healthy 850-1200 watt unit. they range from about $100 for the "ok" ones, and upto $300-$400 for the really nice ones. i have a 1050W Enermax unit that ive never had a single pip from in 2 and a half years.

another issue is your mother board. can it handle this card? do you have the right PCI-E slot available? is it a custom built computer? or a pre fabricated unit like a Gateway or Dell? because knowing the type of mainboard you are using is just as important. help us help you!
nice raptor! so easy a cave man could do it. but back to the questions about a new PSU (power supply unit) the card recomends what, 600W+? so if just the card takes 600w, then you'll be safe to think that all your other stuff like case fans, motherboard, overclocking (if any), and optical drives, will take a bit more power too. so if you want to not really have to worry about upgrading in a few more years, you could get a healthy 850-1200 watt unit. they range from about $100 for the "ok" ones, and upto $300-$400 for the really nice ones. i have a 1050W Enermax unit that ive never had a single pip from in 2 and a half years.

another issue is your mother board. can it handle this card? do you have the right PCI-E slot available? is it a custom built computer? or a pre fabricated unit like a Gateway or Dell? because knowing the type of mainboard you are using is just as important. help us help you!

Intel Core i7 930 (OC 4.1 @ 1.4v)- EVGA E760 Classified - 6G Corsair XMS3 DDR3 7-7-7-20 1800 - Corsair H70 w/dual Enermax Magma 12cm - EVGA GTX580 SC - Enermax Revoluion 1050w 85+ - Killer Bigfoot NPU - Creative SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty - Lian Li PC-A7110 Black

Posted 02/13/2011 07:58 PM   
The recommended PSU's for all these cards are requirements for a normal system with the card in, not just the card.
I'd also go 750W, I've seen a few 650W PSU's that do not have adequate 12V rails.
Personally I'd go Corsair, or any other manufacturer with a single 12V rail, they are more expensive, but there you can't hook them up wrong.
The recommended PSU's for all these cards are requirements for a normal system with the card in, not just the card.

I'd also go 750W, I've seen a few 650W PSU's that do not have adequate 12V rails.

Personally I'd go Corsair, or any other manufacturer with a single 12V rail, they are more expensive, but there you can't hook them up wrong.
Posted 02/13/2011 08:23 PM   
[quote name='Xann' date='13 February 2011 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1297627111' post='1193060']

[/quote]

As i've stated several times, wattage is irrelavent. A 580 doesn't require any more then a 600 watt power supply. The card itself consumes 20 amps. You need a unit capable of delivering over 20A on the 12v rail reliably.
[quote name='Xann' date='13 February 2011 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1297627111' post='1193060']

As i've stated several times, wattage is irrelavent. A 580 doesn't require any more then a 600 watt power supply. The card itself consumes 20 amps. You need a unit capable of delivering over 20A on the 12v rail reliably.
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='13 February 2011 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1297628589' post='1193071']
[/quote]

This^. Well... Pretty much! I wouldn't go as far as to say that wattage is [i]completely[/i] irrelevant, but I know what you're saying. Amperage on the +12 is definitely of greater concern, as is getting a truly high-quality unit from an established manufacturer, like Corsair, PCP&C, or Antec, to name a few. And I agree 100% that a 600w unit would be sufficient. There is currently a troubling, widespread misunderstanding of PC power supplies, and how much wattage is actually needed. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have more than you need, there's something to be said for economy. Besides, even if you're just interested in having the biggest, baddest unit you can find - for bragging rights - it's important to understand how the system works. Check this link:

[url="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/system-wattage_8.html"]http://www.xbitlabs....-wattage_8.html[/url]

It's a fairly well decked-out system - nothing too extreme, but certainly no sipper - and at max load with a Core i7 and GTX 295 (which is a real power hog), it barely tops 500 watts pulled. I don't know what happened to this scene, but it seems that a couple of years ago everyone went power-crazy. All of a sudden everyone thought that if they had a quad-core proc and a high-end GPU they had to get a 1000w PSU or risk a crash. Not so.

All that said, I do second the recommendations for the Corsair 750w unit (I'm assuming TX model, not HX or AX), because it's a good price for a great power supply. Corsair ROCKS.
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='13 February 2011 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1297628589' post='1193071']

This^. Well... Pretty much! I wouldn't go as far as to say that wattage is completely irrelevant, but I know what you're saying. Amperage on the +12 is definitely of greater concern, as is getting a truly high-quality unit from an established manufacturer, like Corsair, PCP&C, or Antec, to name a few. And I agree 100% that a 600w unit would be sufficient. There is currently a troubling, widespread misunderstanding of PC power supplies, and how much wattage is actually needed. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have more than you need, there's something to be said for economy. Besides, even if you're just interested in having the biggest, baddest unit you can find - for bragging rights - it's important to understand how the system works. Check this link:

http://www.xbitlabs....-wattage_8.html

It's a fairly well decked-out system - nothing too extreme, but certainly no sipper - and at max load with a Core i7 and GTX 295 (which is a real power hog), it barely tops 500 watts pulled. I don't know what happened to this scene, but it seems that a couple of years ago everyone went power-crazy. All of a sudden everyone thought that if they had a quad-core proc and a high-end GPU they had to get a 1000w PSU or risk a crash. Not so.

All that said, I do second the recommendations for the Corsair 750w unit (I'm assuming TX model, not HX or AX), because it's a good price for a great power supply. Corsair ROCKS.

Core i7-3820 @ 4.5GHz
ASRock x79 Extreme6
4x4GB Corsair Vengence LP DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 670
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD boot
Windows 7 64 bit
Samsung F3 1TB HDD storage
Samsung 24x DVD
Corsair HX850
Silverstone TJ-07BW-USB3.0
ABS M1 Mechanical Keyboard
SteelSeries Ikari Laser Mouse
Asus ML248H 1920x1080 LED-LCD primary
NEC 70GX2 1280x1024 extended desktop

Posted 02/13/2011 10:01 PM   
[quote name='H. Wordsmythe' date='13 February 2011 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1297634474' post='1193114']
This^. Well... Pretty much! I wouldn't go as far as to say that wattage is [i]completely[/i] irrelevant, but I know what you're saying. Amperage on the +12 is definitely of greater concern, as is getting a truly high-quality unit from an established manufacturer, like Corsair, PCP&C, or Antec, to name a few. And I agree 100% that a 600w unit would be sufficient. There is currently a troubling, widespread misunderstanding of PC power supplies, and how much wattage is actually needed. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have more than you need, there's something to be said for economy. Besides, even if you're just interested in having the biggest, baddest unit you can find - for bragging rights - it's important to understand how the system works. Check this link:

[url="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/system-wattage_8.html"]http://www.xbitlabs....-wattage_8.html[/url]

[/quote]

It came around in the G80 series, when Nvidia released their PSU calculator. They no doubt had deals with the PSU manufacturers, and when people would go see what PSU was required for their 8800GTX, it would tell people they required a minimum of 1000 watts, and going SLI required 1200 watts minimum. Now everyone buys 1200 watt PSU's for their 550w system for 500$ instead of the OCZ for 120$ that would suit them just as well.

[quote name='H. Wordsmythe' date='13 February 2011 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1297634474' post='1193114']

This^. Well... Pretty much! I wouldn't go as far as to say that wattage is completely irrelevant, but I know what you're saying. Amperage on the +12 is definitely of greater concern, as is getting a truly high-quality unit from an established manufacturer, like Corsair, PCP&C, or Antec, to name a few. And I agree 100% that a 600w unit would be sufficient. There is currently a troubling, widespread misunderstanding of PC power supplies, and how much wattage is actually needed. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have more than you need, there's something to be said for economy. Besides, even if you're just interested in having the biggest, baddest unit you can find - for bragging rights - it's important to understand how the system works. Check this link:

http://www.xbitlabs....-wattage_8.html

It came around in the G80 series, when Nvidia released their PSU calculator. They no doubt had deals with the PSU manufacturers, and when people would go see what PSU was required for their 8800GTX, it would tell people they required a minimum of 1000 watts, and going SLI required 1200 watts minimum. Now everyone buys 1200 watt PSU's for their 550w system for 500$ instead of the OCZ for 120$ that would suit them just as well.

Actually 25A on 12V rail should be enough for GTX 580

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-580_5.html#sect0

Actually 25A on 12V rail should be enough for GTX 580

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-580_5.html#sect0

Posted 02/14/2011 11:59 PM   
[/quote]

Terrible advice, need at least 22-23 amps just to run Crysis on a non-overclocked 580gtx. And that is with 0 margin of safety. I'd want 25amps capable at the bare minimum to handle any spikes and we aren't even getting into furmark consumption or anything like that...

People have disabled the voltage over protection on 570gtx's and ran furmark and have seen like 400+ watts used lol. I would want an enormous PSU for these fermi cards just to prevent any chance of stutter or performance drop or death due to slow brown out.

I'd say 650w PSU bare minimum for 570gtx and 750w for 580gtx (preferably single rail) if you actually want to have some margin of safety and no chance of stutter etc.

Terrible advice, need at least 22-23 amps just to run Crysis on a non-overclocked 580gtx. And that is with 0 margin of safety. I'd want 25amps capable at the bare minimum to handle any spikes and we aren't even getting into furmark consumption or anything like that...

People have disabled the voltage over protection on 570gtx's and ran furmark and have seen like 400+ watts used lol. I would want an enormous PSU for these fermi cards just to prevent any chance of stutter or performance drop or death due to slow brown out.

I'd say 650w PSU bare minimum for 570gtx and 750w for 580gtx (preferably single rail) if you actually want to have some margin of safety and no chance of stutter etc.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 UD5H + 2500k

Ram: 8g (4g x 2 Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3)

GPU: MSI 570GTX reference card - stock

PSU: SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W

Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI

HD: OCZ Agility 60g, Intel RST AHCI driver, Win7 x64

Mouse: G9x, Sensei, + more

One LCD attached, DVI mode, DPC Latency = 4

Posted 02/15/2011 12:47 AM   
[quote name='aquickdeath001' date='14 February 2011 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1297730873' post='1193611']

[/quote]

BLEEP BLOOP

Congratulations.

You've earned the "Flamer with no idea what he's talking about achievement"! Not only did your conclusion have the same result mine did, but you points don't even support your premise.

1) What half decent power supply provides less then 30 amps? The card itself, only requires 20A at full wack, possibly 2-3 amps more for benchmarking. I've written a guide to power management and power supplies. These numbers come from Guru3D's own testing station measuring power use from the wall socket itself.

2) A difference of 2 Amps can easily account for a PSU of lower quality and/or aged components.

3) Furmark is designed to literally kill GPU's...what program is an average consumer, no, even an enthusiast consumer going to run that would require the overvolt protection on their video cards disabled?

Feel free to waste money on "an enormous PSU for these fermi cards just to prevent any chance of stutter or performance drop or death due to slow brown out." if you want to. The more educated can save money and pick up a good high quality 600-750 from Corsair, Enermax, or OCZ that could do them for the life span a half a dozen builds+...

Do not flame unless you have substantial reasons why someone else's opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...or, at the very least...learn to be polite about it so it encourages positive discussion instead of telling someone their advice is terrible...
[quote name='aquickdeath001' date='14 February 2011 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1297730873' post='1193611']

BLEEP BLOOP

Congratulations.

You've earned the "Flamer with no idea what he's talking about achievement"! Not only did your conclusion have the same result mine did, but you points don't even support your premise.

1) What half decent power supply provides less then 30 amps? The card itself, only requires 20A at full wack, possibly 2-3 amps more for benchmarking. I've written a guide to power management and power supplies. These numbers come from Guru3D's own testing station measuring power use from the wall socket itself.

2) A difference of 2 Amps can easily account for a PSU of lower quality and/or aged components.

3) Furmark is designed to literally kill GPU's...what program is an average consumer, no, even an enthusiast consumer going to run that would require the overvolt protection on their video cards disabled?

Feel free to waste money on "an enormous PSU for these fermi cards just to prevent any chance of stutter or performance drop or death due to slow brown out." if you want to. The more educated can save money and pick up a good high quality 600-750 from Corsair, Enermax, or OCZ that could do them for the life span a half a dozen builds+...

Do not flame unless you have substantial reasons why someone else's opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...or, at the very least...learn to be polite about it so it encourages positive discussion instead of telling someone their advice is terrible...
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top