GTX 260 M Driver Problems
Hello, I'm running a laptop with 2 GTX 260 M's in SLI, windows 7 64 bit OS, and I have been trying to upgrade my drivers for several months now. These problems have only occurred when I have attempted to update said drivers for the sake of updating. My computer runs perfectly fine with an old 2009 version of the driver, but every 3 months or so when I try to update my driver i CANNOT run ANY game, or any graphically demanding software whatsoever without my computer crashing.

I have pretty much singled out the driver update as the issue, as I have done multiple system restores each time I update to attempt to isolate the problem. Furthermore, i receive no error messages at all, no BSOD, the display simply goes black, and any and ALL attempts to gain control back of the computer, alt-f4, ctrl-alt-del, etc fail, and I must do an emergency shutdown by holding the power button. The only way to remedy this is to revert to my old driver.

None of the drivers work from my old version, which is i think december of 2009, all the way up to the newest version in january.

Computer Specs:
Alienware M17x
Core 2 Duo @ 2.93 Ghz
2 SLI Geforce GTX 260M
4 Gig RAM
Windows 7 64 bit.

Any suggestions?
Hello, I'm running a laptop with 2 GTX 260 M's in SLI, windows 7 64 bit OS, and I have been trying to upgrade my drivers for several months now. These problems have only occurred when I have attempted to update said drivers for the sake of updating. My computer runs perfectly fine with an old 2009 version of the driver, but every 3 months or so when I try to update my driver i CANNOT run ANY game, or any graphically demanding software whatsoever without my computer crashing.

I have pretty much singled out the driver update as the issue, as I have done multiple system restores each time I update to attempt to isolate the problem. Furthermore, i receive no error messages at all, no BSOD, the display simply goes black, and any and ALL attempts to gain control back of the computer, alt-f4, ctrl-alt-del, etc fail, and I must do an emergency shutdown by holding the power button. The only way to remedy this is to revert to my old driver.

None of the drivers work from my old version, which is i think december of 2009, all the way up to the newest version in january.

Computer Specs:

Alienware M17x

Core 2 Duo @ 2.93 Ghz

2 SLI Geforce GTX 260M

4 Gig RAM

Windows 7 64 bit.

Any suggestions?

Posted 02/10/2011 06:05 AM   
I'd also like to add that I have tried multiple clean installs, uninstalling the old drive before installing the new one, and I always have to end up rolling back to the ancient driver to get any sort of reliable performance out of the pc. The new drivers seem to function fine for a short period while gaming, but it isn't long before a total system crash occurs.

Occasionally audio and background processes will remain active as well, but the driver will not recover at all, making games practically unplayable.
I'd also like to add that I have tried multiple clean installs, uninstalling the old drive before installing the new one, and I always have to end up rolling back to the ancient driver to get any sort of reliable performance out of the pc. The new drivers seem to function fine for a short period while gaming, but it isn't long before a total system crash occurs.

Occasionally audio and background processes will remain active as well, but the driver will not recover at all, making games practically unplayable.

Posted 02/10/2011 06:17 AM   
Bump

I have tried, once more, deleting my old driver and using a driver sweeper before updating to the newest version, and still no progress. I have to revert to the old driver to make this computer usable.
Bump

I have tried, once more, deleting my old driver and using a driver sweeper before updating to the newest version, and still no progress. I have to revert to the old driver to make this computer usable.

Posted 02/11/2011 12:32 AM   
Exact same issue occurring here. I have two 260Ms and ever since I tried updating to the Feb. 8th (I think?) drivers my computer crashes in the exact same situations. Downgrading drivers and clean installs also do not work. I haven't tried a 2009 driver because I beforehand I was using the August 2010 driver, which now mysteriously also freezes my computer. The freezes come randomly and only during something graphically intensive.

Alienware M17x
Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
2 SLI GeForce GTX 260M
6 GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Exact same issue occurring here. I have two 260Ms and ever since I tried updating to the Feb. 8th (I think?) drivers my computer crashes in the exact same situations. Downgrading drivers and clean installs also do not work. I haven't tried a 2009 driver because I beforehand I was using the August 2010 driver, which now mysteriously also freezes my computer. The freezes come randomly and only during something graphically intensive.

Alienware M17x

Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz

2 SLI GeForce GTX 260M

6 GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

Posted 02/11/2011 01:07 AM   
I tried downgrading to a 2009 driver but an old stuttering issue with these cards came back, so that clearly isn't an option.
I tried downgrading to a 2009 driver but an old stuttering issue with these cards came back, so that clearly isn't an option.

Posted 02/11/2011 01:41 AM   
The driver I use is from 11/20/2009 if you want to try that one :\ sorry for you, but glad to hear that I am not alone.
The driver I use is from 11/20/2009 if you want to try that one :\ sorry for you, but glad to hear that I am not alone.

Posted 02/11/2011 03:47 AM   
[size="4"][/size]my question is the new driver 266.58 made for my card
i have a geforce gtx 260m
i know i have had problem with my screen going white. so i wanted to know if this is a good update for my laptop
my question is the new driver 266.58 made for my card

i have a geforce gtx 260m

i know i have had problem with my screen going white. so i wanted to know if this is a good update for my laptop

Posted 02/12/2011 05:32 AM   
I am having the same problem as everyone else. I upgraded my OS to Win7 and the GTX 260-M drivers keep crashing. I get Blue, red, white, and flashing screens of death. I notice that adobe flash video will crash the computer if you use it too long. Have an over heating issue, but Dell replaced both video cards. I am hoping with the latest Bios release (A07-Dated 3-10-2011[url="http://ftp.us.dell.com/bios/M17R1A07.zip"]Bios-A07[/url])the interface will be better. Just installed A07 today and keeping my fingers crossed.
I am having the same problem as everyone else. I upgraded my OS to Win7 and the GTX 260-M drivers keep crashing. I get Blue, red, white, and flashing screens of death. I notice that adobe flash video will crash the computer if you use it too long. Have an over heating issue, but Dell replaced both video cards. I am hoping with the latest Bios release (A07-Dated 3-10-2011Bios-A07)the interface will be better. Just installed A07 today and keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted 03/11/2011 09:11 PM   
Ok, I had this problem for about a year now, after a while my screen would start flashing red, and i would have to return to the old drivers that came with the machine, i found out untill a couple on months ago that the problem was that Alienware had not engeneered the PCIe slots correctly and if you want to install new oficial drivers from Nvidia this is what you have to do:

1.- Restart Computer and go into bios
2.- Go to your Graphic Settings and Disable PCIe gen 2, make sure that you have the Nvidia chipset and bot GTX260M enabled
3.- boot computer normaly
4.- Download and install new drivers from Nvidia acording to your Windows version
5.- Restart machine (duh)
6.- Enjoy up to a 50% performance boost in some games

cheers, hope this is helpfull to somepony out there

System spect
Alienware M17X R1
Core 2 Duo 2.94 GHz
4Gb DDR3 Ram
HDD - not important
Dual GTX 260M in SLI
Ok, I had this problem for about a year now, after a while my screen would start flashing red, and i would have to return to the old drivers that came with the machine, i found out untill a couple on months ago that the problem was that Alienware had not engeneered the PCIe slots correctly and if you want to install new oficial drivers from Nvidia this is what you have to do:

2.- Go to your Graphic Settings and Disable PCIe gen 2, make sure that you have the Nvidia chipset and bot GTX260M enabled

4.- Download and install new drivers from Nvidia acording to your Windows version

System spect

Alienware M17X R1

Core 2 Duo 2.94 GHz

4Gb DDR3 Ram

HDD - not important

Dual GTX 260M in SLI

Posted 03/21/2011 06:49 AM   
Hey guys
I was wondering if somebody could please tell me which graphics card is the best from the following (also price/performance). Please tell me if it will be compatible with my system too. Please recommended another graphics card if there is something that I am missing.

The graphics cards i'm interested in:
Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
Nvidia Geforce GT 240
Nvidia Geforce GT 440
ATI Radeon HD 5670

My system:
Power supply: 600W
CPU: Intel Core Quad 2.66 GHz Q8400
RAM: 4GB RAM
Memory: 1 Terabyte
Windows 7 32-bit
System Manufacturer: Mustek6376 MST6376
System model: Mecer
According to my device manager I have a PCI bus. (It didn't say anything about express or 2.0.) so I'm not sure what I have with the PCI.
I'm not sure if I have a x16 slot in my motherboard, i'm still going to check.
DirectX: DirectX 11

If theres anything that I'm missing please tell me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Please post back as soon as anyone can.
Thanks.
Hey guys

I was wondering if somebody could please tell me which graphics card is the best from the following (also price/performance). Please tell me if it will be compatible with my system too. Please recommended another graphics card if there is something that I am missing.

The graphics cards i'm interested in:

Nvidia Geforce GTS 450

Nvidia Geforce GTX 260

Nvidia Geforce GT 240

Nvidia Geforce GT 440

ATI Radeon HD 5670

My system:

Power supply: 600W

CPU: Intel Core Quad 2.66 GHz Q8400

RAM: 4GB RAM

Memory: 1 Terabyte

Windows 7 32-bit

System Manufacturer: Mustek6376 MST6376

System model: Mecer

According to my device manager I have a PCI bus. (It didn't say anything about express or 2.0.) so I'm not sure what I have with the PCI.

I'm not sure if I have a x16 slot in my motherboard, i'm still going to check.

DirectX: DirectX 11

If theres anything that I'm missing please tell me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Please post back as soon as anyone can.

Thanks.

Posted 04/03/2011 04:11 PM   
I have a GeForce GT240 we've had for 6-9 months. Last week we upgraded the driver, because we were notified that there was an upgrade. Since then every time we have to start the computer we have to go in and change the resolution. It changes to a 800-640 and we want to use 1786 x 994. It has worked fine until the upgrade. We are using Windows Vista and the monitor is Toshiba tv monitor HD. We've tried everything we can think of to fix it, but it just won't stay changed.
I have a GeForce GT240 we've had for 6-9 months. Last week we upgraded the driver, because we were notified that there was an upgrade. Since then every time we have to start the computer we have to go in and change the resolution. It changes to a 800-640 and we want to use 1786 x 994. It has worked fine until the upgrade. We are using Windows Vista and the monitor is Toshiba tv monitor HD. We've tried everything we can think of to fix it, but it just won't stay changed.

Posted 04/05/2011 12:26 AM   
I have the same GeForce GT240 for even less then the previous poster. I've read through most of the forum saying to downgrade etc. and still nothing. I've formatted windows 7 home at least 3 times the last 2 months trying to fix the problem seeing that I should be able to play with better settings with my computer WoW. In addition the game itself is stating that I should do a driver update after the the 4.06 WoW patch. Please nvidia, make a new driver that fixes the problem or help us. :(
I have the same GeForce GT240 for even less then the previous poster. I've read through most of the forum saying to downgrade etc. and still nothing. I've formatted windows 7 home at least 3 times the last 2 months trying to fix the problem seeing that I should be able to play with better settings with my computer WoW. In addition the game itself is stating that I should do a driver update after the the 4.06 WoW patch. Please nvidia, make a new driver that fixes the problem or help us. :(

Posted 04/06/2011 06:58 PM   
Any help would be nice. :)

Here are my specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/10/2011, 01:02:03
Machine name: GIANNIS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: Greek (Regional Setting: Greek)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA770T-UD3P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1762MB used, 6424MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 240
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_30D21ACC&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2776 MB
Dedicated Memory: 985 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Monitor PnP general use
Monitor Model: SAMSUNG
Monitor Id: SAM04FB
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9107 (English)
Driver Version: 8.16.11.9107
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/28/2009 02:12:21, 9441384 bytes
Any help would be nice. :)

Here are my specs:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/10/2011, 01:02:03

Machine name: GIANNIS-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)

Language: Greek (Regional Setting: Greek)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: GA-MA770T-UD3P

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM

Page File: 1762MB used, 6424MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 240

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_30D21ACC&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2776 MB

Dedicated Memory: 985 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Monitor PnP general use

Monitor Model: SAMSUNG

Monitor Id: SAM04FB

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9107 (English)

Driver Version: 8.16.11.9107

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/28/2009 02:12:21, 9441384 bytes

Posted 04/09/2011 09:59 PM   
I've tried just about everything I've found on the net. Please help me before I take the computer back to the store I bought it from.
I've tried just about everything I've found on the net. Please help me before I take the computer back to the store I bought it from.

Posted 04/09/2011 10:08 PM   
[quote name='Hellkipz' date='21 March 2011 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1300690190' post='1210900']

System spect
Alienware M17X R1
Core 2 Duo 2.94 GHz
4Gb DDR3 Ram
HDD - not important
Dual GTX 260M in SLI
[/quote]

Hello another Alienware M17-X user with dual GTX 260M in SLI here. I am also having the same problem with system crashes on graphically intensive applications (e.g. games.) I either get a total lock, a black screen or a flashing red screen -- all requiring a hard boot. So far Dell support is virtually useless. Even with at least 7 tech support phone calls and the following hardware replaced: Motherboard, video cards, hard drive, batter, AC adapter, LCD screen, RAM I still have the problem. Running in Windows 7 64-bit with DirectX 11.

Does anyone know if the suggestion in the quote has worked? I've heard that you might need to install DirectX 10...either way if anyone has a sure fix, I would appreciate it.
[quote name='Hellkipz' date='21 March 2011 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1300690190' post='1210900']

System spect

Alienware M17X R1

Core 2 Duo 2.94 GHz

4Gb DDR3 Ram

HDD - not important

Dual GTX 260M in SLI

Hello another Alienware M17-X user with dual GTX 260M in SLI here. I am also having the same problem with system crashes on graphically intensive applications (e.g. games.) I either get a total lock, a black screen or a flashing red screen -- all requiring a hard boot. So far Dell support is virtually useless. Even with at least 7 tech support phone calls and the following hardware replaced: Motherboard, video cards, hard drive, batter, AC adapter, LCD screen, RAM I still have the problem. Running in Windows 7 64-bit with DirectX 11.

Does anyone know if the suggestion in the quote has worked? I've heard that you might need to install DirectX 10...either way if anyone has a sure fix, I would appreciate it.

Posted 04/16/2011 01:35 PM   
Scroll To Top