Help please! (RAID Problem)
I've made a big mistake.

I had my pc set up RAID 0 using the Nvraid drivers on an ABIT KN9 motherboard, which can be found here:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KN9+SLI&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2&pPRODINFO=Driver

I was using windows xp.

I have 2 identical seagate 250gb phyiscal drives set up as 1 logical drive, showing at 465.77 Gb.

Everything was fine until I tried to upgrade motherboard and processor.

I was upgrading to a Asrock M3A UCC AMD 480X Socket AM3 Motherboard. I plugged everything in and followed the instrutions for setting up the raid system in the bios. As a part of this, it involved ERASING THE MBR which I did, stupidly and unthinkingly. Looking back, the instructions seem to be about setting up a new raid system from scratch, not really what I wanted to do. So, I stopped what I was doing before any formatting started or anything stupid like that. I suddenly realised that there was a lot of data on the drives that I didn't want to lose (and I hadn't backed up - lesson learned...again /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />), and decided the best way forwards was probably to go back to the old mobo, try to get it to load, and back up what I needed to my eternal HD, then I could go ahead with my upgrade and if that involved wiping the disks and reloading xp then so be it, no problem.

Now I am in trouble becuse when I try to boot up the system, I get a "no boot disk" type of error.

So, having done a bit of googling, I realised that I probably need to use the xp recovery console to "fixmbr".

Here is where it gets wierd. On in the BIOS I an see my NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77 Gb RAID 0 Array. Good.
I can even look at the array (listed as "healthy", and the separate physial drives in the MediaShield raid management software (by nVidia). Great.

Now, when I try to use the recovery console to "fixmbr" I get the "Setup cannot detect hard drives - try installing manufaturer drivers from floppy" error. This is odd because, as I said, I an see the array in the BIOS and in Mediashield. Of course, I have the NVRAID driver floppy to hand and when I try using that (after pressing f6 in the xp setup program) it loads the nforce raid and sata storage drivers, then when I hit R for reovery onsole it does not give me a "choose your windows installation to fix" option, instead it says "invalid command line or location" and gives me a c:\ command prompt where I can't do anything, and fixmbr goes through some weird motions on a drive that doesn't exist before telling me to reboot, and I'm back to square 1.

Its a dead end there for me, I simply do not know what else to try. I have 1GB of holiday photos locked on those drives which will not load and they are very high in sentimental value. If anyone can think how I can boot these or even just get those photos off, I would be sincerely grateful.

Edit: The shorthand for this whole post, really is, "Why can xp recovery not see my array, when its visible in the BIOS and in Mediashield?"
I've made a big mistake.

I had my pc set up RAID 0 using the Nvraid drivers on an ABIT KN9 motherboard, which can be found here:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KN9+SLI&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2&pPRODINFO=Driver

I was using windows xp.

I have 2 identical seagate 250gb phyiscal drives set up as 1 logical drive, showing at 465.77 Gb.

Everything was fine until I tried to upgrade motherboard and processor.

I was upgrading to a Asrock M3A UCC AMD 480X Socket AM3 Motherboard. I plugged everything in and followed the instrutions for setting up the raid system in the bios. As a part of this, it involved ERASING THE MBR which I did, stupidly and unthinkingly. Looking back, the instructions seem to be about setting up a new raid system from scratch, not really what I wanted to do. So, I stopped what I was doing before any formatting started or anything stupid like that. I suddenly realised that there was a lot of data on the drives that I didn't want to lose (and I hadn't backed up - lesson learned...again /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />), and decided the best way forwards was probably to go back to the old mobo, try to get it to load, and back up what I needed to my eternal HD, then I could go ahead with my upgrade and if that involved wiping the disks and reloading xp then so be it, no problem.

Now I am in trouble becuse when I try to boot up the system, I get a "no boot disk" type of error.

So, having done a bit of googling, I realised that I probably need to use the xp recovery console to "fixmbr".

Here is where it gets wierd. On in the BIOS I an see my NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77 Gb RAID 0 Array. Good.

I can even look at the array (listed as "healthy", and the separate physial drives in the MediaShield raid management software (by nVidia). Great.

Now, when I try to use the recovery console to "fixmbr" I get the "Setup cannot detect hard drives - try installing manufaturer drivers from floppy" error. This is odd because, as I said, I an see the array in the BIOS and in Mediashield. Of course, I have the NVRAID driver floppy to hand and when I try using that (after pressing f6 in the xp setup program) it loads the nforce raid and sata storage drivers, then when I hit R for reovery onsole it does not give me a "choose your windows installation to fix" option, instead it says "invalid command line or location" and gives me a c:\ command prompt where I can't do anything, and fixmbr goes through some weird motions on a drive that doesn't exist before telling me to reboot, and I'm back to square 1.

Its a dead end there for me, I simply do not know what else to try. I have 1GB of holiday photos locked on those drives which will not load and they are very high in sentimental value. If anyone can think how I can boot these or even just get those photos off, I would be sincerely grateful.

Edit: The shorthand for this whole post, really is, "Why can xp recovery not see my array, when its visible in the BIOS and in Mediashield?"

Posted 02/09/2011 10:05 PM   
@ henryhobson:
Welcome at NVIDIA Forums!

Very important are the BIOS settings regarding the boot options:
1. The "hdd" should be set as first or second bootable device.
2. If you have more than the RAIDed hdd's, you should check the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings. The RAID should be on top!

Another question:
When you enter the RAID BIOS Utility, is your RAID shown as "bootable"?

Regards
Fernando
@ henryhobson:

Welcome at NVIDIA Forums!

Very important are the BIOS settings regarding the boot options:

1. The "hdd" should be set as first or second bootable device.

2. If you have more than the RAIDed hdd's, you should check the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings. The RAID should be on top!

Another question:

When you enter the RAID BIOS Utility, is your RAID shown as "bootable"?

Regards

Fernando

Posted 02/09/2011 10:57 PM   
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the prompt response!

In the BIOS, the boot priority goes 1: HDD, 2: cdrom 3:floppy

And yes, when I enter the raid bios utility (mediashield), the array is showing as bootable.

I'm totally stumped...

Edit: I have another system with spare SATA ports that I could pop the drives into. I know there are a few free windows based "raid recovery" progams out there. Is this possibly my only way forward now, and if so, could you recommend one?
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the prompt response!

In the BIOS, the boot priority goes 1: HDD, 2: cdrom 3:floppy

And yes, when I enter the raid bios utility (mediashield), the array is showing as bootable.

I'm totally stumped...

Edit: I have another system with spare SATA ports that I could pop the drives into. I know there are a few free windows based "raid recovery" progams out there. Is this possibly my only way forward now, and if so, could you recommend one?

Posted 02/09/2011 11:12 PM   
IMHO, if your goal is to recover data from the disks and not return to the previous boot state, I would give up on xp recovery, which could damage the data trying to fix the boot.

My strategy would be to use another HD and create a bootable drive on the ABIT KN9, then connect the RAID 0 you want to recover from and just use something like easyrecovery to do a raw scan on the damaged partition.

You mentioned you know of several free "raid recovery" programs. What are they?
IMHO, if your goal is to recover data from the disks and not return to the previous boot state, I would give up on xp recovery, which could damage the data trying to fix the boot.

My strategy would be to use another HD and create a bootable drive on the ABIT KN9, then connect the RAID 0 you want to recover from and just use something like easyrecovery to do a raw scan on the damaged partition.

You mentioned you know of several free "raid recovery" programs. What are they?

Posted 02/10/2011 12:43 AM   
Thanks CTW, that idea makes a lot of sense. I'll try plugging a bootable HD into the KN9 and work form there.

As to the sofware I mentioned, I'm thinking of:

Reclaime: http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

and TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Thanks CTW, that idea makes a lot of sense. I'll try plugging a bootable HD into the KN9 and work form there.

As to the sofware I mentioned, I'm thinking of:

Reclaime: http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

and TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Posted 02/10/2011 10:57 AM   
Well, I have got this sorted. In fact, using all my new stuff I plugge the old drives into Sata 2 and 3 and using Reclaime I was able to look at the data on the drives again. Its all there, thank god. Problem is that Reclaime then tries to charge me to actually copy the data across. Anyone know of any free / OS software to do this?
Well, I have got this sorted. In fact, using all my new stuff I plugge the old drives into Sata 2 and 3 and using Reclaime I was able to look at the data on the drives again. Its all there, thank god. Problem is that Reclaime then tries to charge me to actually copy the data across. Anyone know of any free / OS software to do this?

Posted 02/16/2011 11:13 PM   
Scroll To Top