3D vision with 3D TV Do I have to use Nvidia's glasses
  1 / 2    
I have just purchased a SAMSUNG PS50C680 3D TV with the Samsung active shutter glasses.
I am about to buy a new PC to run World of Warcraft in 3D on this TV. The PC will contain Nvidia graphics card(s).
The TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and this is the resolution I'd like to run in 3D.
My 2 Questions are as follows :
1) What would be the best CPU/graphics card combo to ensure this runs smoothly, and
2) Can I use the Samsung glasses I bought with the TV, or do I need to use Nvidia's glasses whilst playing games through the PC (it would be very annoying to have 2 sets of glasses and having to use different ones for different purposes)?

Thanks
I have just purchased a SAMSUNG PS50C680 3D TV with the Samsung active shutter glasses.

I am about to buy a new PC to run World of Warcraft in 3D on this TV. The PC will contain Nvidia graphics card(s).

The TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and this is the resolution I'd like to run in 3D.

1) What would be the best CPU/graphics card combo to ensure this runs smoothly, and

2) Can I use the Samsung glasses I bought with the TV, or do I need to use Nvidia's glasses whilst playing games through the PC (it would be very annoying to have 2 sets of glasses and having to use different ones for different purposes)?

Thanks

Posted 02/04/2011 11:49 AM   
[quote name='WrenGiles' date='04 February 2011 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1296820145' post='1188717']

Thanks
[/quote]

I also have a Samsung 3D TV with Samsung glasses and you only need Nvidia's software 3DTVplay (trial period available), your 3DTV connected via HDMI to your PC's GPU HDMI connection. And you need to update your drivers to the latest version (260 and higher) to enable 3D in your Nvidia control panel.
I recently bought a new PC with W7, CoreI7 and GTX460, have tested a lot of games in 3D and all run smoothly.
You have to note that 3DTV play runs games only at 1280-720 resolution, 60Hz. On an ordinary HD-LCD monitor (non 3D) this resolution is crap.
However,and very surprisingly to me, on a large 3DTV games look absolutely brilliant in 3D with this resolution, a lot of people on this forum claim that they want to play at higher resolution but I have tested TRIDEF which allows to run at full HD resolution and checkerboard 3D mode but I noticed not much visual quality improvement with my setup. Just that my fps dropped. Another advantage; due to the lower resolution letter sizes ingame are bigger and therefore better readable. You don't sit very close to your TV in general.

Anyway since there is a trial period you can test it yourself without any risk.
[quote name='WrenGiles' date='04 February 2011 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1296820145' post='1188717']

Thanks

I also have a Samsung 3D TV with Samsung glasses and you only need Nvidia's software 3DTVplay (trial period available), your 3DTV connected via HDMI to your PC's GPU HDMI connection. And you need to update your drivers to the latest version (260 and higher) to enable 3D in your Nvidia control panel.

I recently bought a new PC with W7, CoreI7 and GTX460, have tested a lot of games in 3D and all run smoothly.

You have to note that 3DTV play runs games only at 1280-720 resolution, 60Hz. On an ordinary HD-LCD monitor (non 3D) this resolution is crap.

However,and very surprisingly to me, on a large 3DTV games look absolutely brilliant in 3D with this resolution, a lot of people on this forum claim that they want to play at higher resolution but I have tested TRIDEF which allows to run at full HD resolution and checkerboard 3D mode but I noticed not much visual quality improvement with my setup. Just that my fps dropped. Another advantage; due to the lower resolution letter sizes ingame are bigger and therefore better readable. You don't sit very close to your TV in general.

Anyway since there is a trial period you can test it yourself without any risk.

Posted 02/04/2011 12:53 PM   
I'm no expert and if I'm wrong I will be swiftly corrected.

1) Hopefully you are not limited to budget... CPU = get an i series or the new Sandybridge. As for GPU get the best one you can afford, Like a GTX 580.. maybe the new Ti if your on a budget.

2) You can use the samsung glasses for your PC gaming as along as you get "3DTV Play" software(available for direct download purchase, around $40 I think)

Using 3DPlay software your games will run fine under 1080p just like you want, ONLY you will be limited to 24 frames per second. You can run 3DPlay at higher framerates up to 60 fps, however your picture resolution will drop to 720p. In many cases I would not be surprised to learn that 720p at 60fps with AA enabled looks pretty good. At the same time 24fps for 1080p sounds low but that would likely be playable with slower paced and/or small scale games like maybe starcraft.

If you want a good compromise between 1080p resolution and the framerates that 720p provides... THEN YOU BUY "3D VISION" for $200 and use your 3DTV as the monitor... follow the .ini mod advice that is located here...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=191819

and I think this thread too...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=191995
I'm no expert and if I'm wrong I will be swiftly corrected.

1) Hopefully you are not limited to budget... CPU = get an i series or the new Sandybridge. As for GPU get the best one you can afford, Like a GTX 580.. maybe the new Ti if your on a budget.

2) You can use the samsung glasses for your PC gaming as along as you get "3DTV Play" software(available for direct download purchase, around $40 I think)

Using 3DPlay software your games will run fine under 1080p just like you want, ONLY you will be limited to 24 frames per second. You can run 3DPlay at higher framerates up to 60 fps, however your picture resolution will drop to 720p. In many cases I would not be surprised to learn that 720p at 60fps with AA enabled looks pretty good. At the same time 24fps for 1080p sounds low but that would likely be playable with slower paced and/or small scale games like maybe starcraft.

If you want a good compromise between 1080p resolution and the framerates that 720p provides... THEN YOU BUY "3D VISION" for $200 and use your 3DTV as the monitor... follow the .ini mod advice that is located here...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=191819

and I think this thread too...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=191995

OS ------- Win 7 64Bit Home Premium
CPU ------ i7 920 OC as needed
COOLER --- NOC NH-U12P SE
MOBO ----- ASUS Rampage 2
RAM ------ 6GB Corsair Triple Channel 1333
POWER ---- Corsair 1000hx
GPU ------ GTX 280 SLI(314.07 Drivers)
CASE ----- NZXT Tempest
HD ------- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB(OS), 250GB Velociraptor, WD Green 1TB
MONITOR -- Acer X263w and 3DTV PN58C7000
3D ------- 3D Vision, Tridef, IZ3D

Posted 02/04/2011 01:05 PM   
That's really useful, thanks.
So do I just download the trial software from Nvidia? And do I have to pay for the software when the trial expires?
That's really useful, thanks.

So do I just download the trial software from Nvidia? And do I have to pay for the software when the trial expires?

Posted 02/04/2011 01:06 PM   
Actually I am a little bit confused...
So with this software I won't be able to run the game at the resolution of the TV (i.e. 1920x1080) or at full frame rate (I'd be limited to 24fps)?
And if I want to run at full resolution at un-capped framerate then I have to buy the 3D kit (including glasses)?
Really? Why isn't the TV simply a.n.other monitor as far as the PC (nvidia card) is concerned?
Help......
Actually I am a little bit confused...

So with this software I won't be able to run the game at the resolution of the TV (i.e. 1920x1080) or at full frame rate (I'd be limited to 24fps)?

And if I want to run at full resolution at un-capped framerate then I have to buy the 3D kit (including glasses)?

Really? Why isn't the TV simply a.n.other monitor as far as the PC (nvidia card) is concerned?

Help......

Posted 02/04/2011 02:14 PM   
Careful about using the term un-capped... we are talking 60fps. Sure my computer could do 300fps likely... but we are talking about a 60fps max.

But man I went through your whole mind F#&$ over the last week as I am just now buying all this technology too.

I don't have it all figured out yet. One of the members here Roller11 is very knowledgeable and helpful to me so far.

The problem with TV's today I think comes down to how data is transferred from your PC to the TV. Notice how your PC GPU likely has a DVI output. A quick visit to wikipedia and you discover how many different DVI connectors there actually are. Aside from all that don't get sidetracked...

The problem is that until(never I have heard many say) TV manufacturers start building DVI interfaces into the back of T'V... you wont have true 1080p 60hz (60fps) framepacking 3D images. THe best you can do generally speaking is 1080p 60hz (60fps) Checkerboard 3D images. And that is, generally speaking from Nvidia's corner, is capable now with 3D vision and some HACKS... Hacks that I am going to figure out one way or another.

Framepacking (generally speaking) sends two complete separate left eye and right eye images down the pipe to the display. Checkerboard sends ONE image only every other pixel is, um, interleaved... like a chessboard(checkerboard). Pixel one goes to the left eye say, and then pixel two two to the immediate right goes to the right eye...and so on.

Framepacking has been called marginally better although some outright say it is better. It`s like asking yourself what would you rather eat... a 8 OZ steak cooked to your perfection or a 10 OZ steak cooked to your perfection!

Think of 3dplay like a 6 oz steak cooked to perfection with 2 oz of a side of rancid beef... and you gotta eat the whole plate. Sure it feeds you but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Careful about using the term un-capped... we are talking 60fps. Sure my computer could do 300fps likely... but we are talking about a 60fps max.

But man I went through your whole mind F#&$ over the last week as I am just now buying all this technology too.

I don't have it all figured out yet. One of the members here Roller11 is very knowledgeable and helpful to me so far.

The problem with TV's today I think comes down to how data is transferred from your PC to the TV. Notice how your PC GPU likely has a DVI output. A quick visit to wikipedia and you discover how many different DVI connectors there actually are. Aside from all that don't get sidetracked...

The problem is that until(never I have heard many say) TV manufacturers start building DVI interfaces into the back of T'V... you wont have true 1080p 60hz (60fps) framepacking 3D images. THe best you can do generally speaking is 1080p 60hz (60fps) Checkerboard 3D images. And that is, generally speaking from Nvidia's corner, is capable now with 3D vision and some HACKS... Hacks that I am going to figure out one way or another.

Framepacking (generally speaking) sends two complete separate left eye and right eye images down the pipe to the display. Checkerboard sends ONE image only every other pixel is, um, interleaved... like a chessboard(checkerboard). Pixel one goes to the left eye say, and then pixel two two to the immediate right goes to the right eye...and so on.

Framepacking has been called marginally better although some outright say it is better. It`s like asking yourself what would you rather eat... a 8 OZ steak cooked to your perfection or a 10 OZ steak cooked to your perfection!

Think of 3dplay like a 6 oz steak cooked to perfection with 2 oz of a side of rancid beef... and you gotta eat the whole plate. Sure it feeds you but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

CASE ----- NZXT Tempest

Posted 02/04/2011 02:43 PM   
Hey Amnios, you are sounding like an expert, LOL!
Seriously, Amnios is like the quick learner, he has studied this subject for only one week! :)

WrenGiles:
"So with this software I won't be able to run the game at the resolution of the TV (i.e. 1920x1080) or at full frame rate (I'd be limited to 24fps)?"

Correct, 3DTV Play allows only 720P/60 framepacking and 1080P/24 framepacking, no 1920x1080 native res at 60 frames per eye (checkerboard). Therefore 3DTV Play is unacceptable for 3D gaming on a 1920x1080 display especially when there are much better 3D gaming solutions for no difference in cost.

"And if I want to run at full resolution at un-capped framerate then I have to buy the 3D kit (including glasses)?"

No, you can buy two competing pure software solution, either iZ3D or Tridef-3D. Both cost about the same as 3DTV Play but they support desirable checkerboard. D/L the free trials and decide for yourself, I happen to like TriDef-3D better, but that's based on only one game, Medal of Honor SP. But under no circumstance get 3DTV Play or you will be doomed to ugly gaming hell.
Option#2 you can buy the 3D Vision kit and 3D game at 1920x1080 checkerboard with free nvidia software, but you must do the software .inf replacement hack (Rollermod.inf), plus, you must do the hardware hack to eliminate the false error nessage.

"Really? Why isn't the TV simply a.n.other monitor as far as the PC (nvidia card) is concerned?"

Difference is HDTVs are all low bandwidth, single link HDMI1.4 inputs while monitors are all superior dual link DVI. The real question is why did Nvidia cripple 3DTV Play by omitting checkerboard mode, there is no reason for this, CB is already in the drivers. Is "why?" is up for debate. Some say that Nvidia conspired with Panasonic, Nvidia accepted a bribe from Panny to omit CB. Reason is Panny does not support CB, so if 3DTV Play does CB, then that gives users a compeling reason to buy Samsung instead of Panasonic. With no CB mode, Samsung is brought down to the same level of a Panasonic. Also, Panasonic paid for 3DTV Play developement saving Nvidia a bunch of money. Result is Nvidia makes money by castrating their own product.
Hey Amnios, you are sounding like an expert, LOL!

Seriously, Amnios is like the quick learner, he has studied this subject for only one week! :)

WrenGiles:

"So with this software I won't be able to run the game at the resolution of the TV (i.e. 1920x1080) or at full frame rate (I'd be limited to 24fps)?"

Correct, 3DTV Play allows only 720P/60 framepacking and 1080P/24 framepacking, no 1920x1080 native res at 60 frames per eye (checkerboard). Therefore 3DTV Play is unacceptable for 3D gaming on a 1920x1080 display especially when there are much better 3D gaming solutions for no difference in cost.

"And if I want to run at full resolution at un-capped framerate then I have to buy the 3D kit (including glasses)?"

No, you can buy two competing pure software solution, either iZ3D or Tridef-3D. Both cost about the same as 3DTV Play but they support desirable checkerboard. D/L the free trials and decide for yourself, I happen to like TriDef-3D better, but that's based on only one game, Medal of Honor SP. But under no circumstance get 3DTV Play or you will be doomed to ugly gaming hell.

Option#2 you can buy the 3D Vision kit and 3D game at 1920x1080 checkerboard with free nvidia software, but you must do the software .inf replacement hack (Rollermod.inf), plus, you must do the hardware hack to eliminate the false error nessage.

"Really? Why isn't the TV simply a.n.other monitor as far as the PC (nvidia card) is concerned?"

Difference is HDTVs are all low bandwidth, single link HDMI1.4 inputs while monitors are all superior dual link DVI. The real question is why did Nvidia cripple 3DTV Play by omitting checkerboard mode, there is no reason for this, CB is already in the drivers. Is "why?" is up for debate. Some say that Nvidia conspired with Panasonic, Nvidia accepted a bribe from Panny to omit CB. Reason is Panny does not support CB, so if 3DTV Play does CB, then that gives users a compeling reason to buy Samsung instead of Panasonic. With no CB mode, Samsung is brought down to the same level of a Panasonic. Also, Panasonic paid for 3DTV Play developement saving Nvidia a bunch of money. Result is Nvidia makes money by castrating their own product.

Posted 02/04/2011 07:23 PM   
You'll get 1080p60 through hdmi 1.4 some time next year when hdmi chip manufacturers will finally make chips that provide the (optional) full bandwidth allowed by hdmi 1.4 (actually it's there since 1.3) and TV manufacturers start implementing them into new TVs.

Framepacking is higher quality than checkerboard (no question about it) but you have to compare it at equivalent resolution and framerate : checkerboard 1080p vs framepacking 1080p, not vs framepacking 720p otherwise other factors kick in like the native resolution of the display and scaling.
You'll get 1080p60 through hdmi 1.4 some time next year when hdmi chip manufacturers will finally make chips that provide the (optional) full bandwidth allowed by hdmi 1.4 (actually it's there since 1.3) and TV manufacturers start implementing them into new TVs.

Framepacking is higher quality than checkerboard (no question about it) but you have to compare it at equivalent resolution and framerate : checkerboard 1080p vs framepacking 1080p, not vs framepacking 720p otherwise other factors kick in like the native resolution of the display and scaling.

Posted 02/04/2011 07:33 PM   
Black,
When I read that TV makers plan to support HDMI1.4 on all future TVs, I assumed that meant no improvement in bandwidth. Do you have any reason to think that TV makers will actually implement high bandwidth HDMI1.4 using newer chips, or is that just wishful thinking? If you do the math, current bandwidth is only 16% too slow to do 1080P/60 (120 Hz refresh) 3D, so we aren't very far off. Comment?
Black,

When I read that TV makers plan to support HDMI1.4 on all future TVs, I assumed that meant no improvement in bandwidth. Do you have any reason to think that TV makers will actually implement high bandwidth HDMI1.4 using newer chips, or is that just wishful thinking? If you do the math, current bandwidth is only 16% too slow to do 1080P/60 (120 Hz refresh) 3D, so we aren't very far off. Comment?

Posted 02/04/2011 07:41 PM   
There's this interview from CES2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyceO31cwg of the head of hdmi licensing talking about it.
There's James Cameron lobbying very actively in Hollywood to produce 3D movies with higher framerate (48fps and more). When these movies come out, they'll have to be shown.
There's the PC gaming community ranting about it all the time.
There is the pressure from Display Port which does have the bandwidth and specifications for 3D way higher than stereo-FullHD-60p
There are the future game consoles (not there yet but not that far away either) which will have to be full resolution all the time.

I'm not sure about the current bandwidth limitations on hdmi chips but the highest resolution most TVs support is mono-1080p60, which is half of what's required for stereo-1080p60. (whereas both stereo-720p60 and stereo-1080p24 require less bandwidth than mono-1080p60).
It is possible current hdmi chips can sustain the bandwidth, but they're not certified for it. So it is still possible that some current 3DTVs may support the full resolution, but we can't really give an answer without a source.
I read some Samsung 3DTVs have a frame sequential mode, I'm not sure about the refresh rate though.
There's this interview from CES2011 of the head of hdmi licensing talking about it.

There's James Cameron lobbying very actively in Hollywood to produce 3D movies with higher framerate (48fps and more). When these movies come out, they'll have to be shown.

There's the PC gaming community ranting about it all the time.

There is the pressure from Display Port which does have the bandwidth and specifications for 3D way higher than stereo-FullHD-60p

There are the future game consoles (not there yet but not that far away either) which will have to be full resolution all the time.

I'm not sure about the current bandwidth limitations on hdmi chips but the highest resolution most TVs support is mono-1080p60, which is half of what's required for stereo-1080p60. (whereas both stereo-720p60 and stereo-1080p24 require less bandwidth than mono-1080p60).

It is possible current hdmi chips can sustain the bandwidth, but they're not certified for it. So it is still possible that some current 3DTVs may support the full resolution, but we can't really give an answer without a source.

I read some Samsung 3DTVs have a frame sequential mode, I'm not sure about the refresh rate though.

Posted 02/04/2011 09:28 PM   
Good info Black, thanks for the link.

What are the console guys doing now to get 3D? 1080P/24 framepack? page flip?
Good info Black, thanks for the link.

Posted 02/04/2011 09:48 PM   
[quote name='roller11' date='04 February 2011 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1296856126' post='1189004']
[/quote]

They use the HDMI resolutions 720P@60 frame packed.
[quote name='roller11' date='04 February 2011 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1296856126' post='1189004']

Posted 02/04/2011 10:53 PM   
[quote name='ERP' date='04 February 2011 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1296860006' post='1189026']
[/quote]

You're kidding!! Console guys accept 720P at 60 frames per eye?....On a 1920x1080 display??? That's 3DTV Play quality.
This is great news, consoles are big business and so Sony and xbox must be lobbying for high bandwidth inputs, gives HDTV makers a reason to go with full speed, full res.
Man, console users are getting screwed, they must be unhappy about that. I figured they were doing 1080P/24 or /30 like Blu Ray 3D. I can't believe they are doing 720P, that's gross, but gives us PC gamers hope.
[quote name='ERP' date='04 February 2011 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1296860006' post='1189026']

You're kidding!! Console guys accept 720P at 60 frames per eye?....On a 1920x1080 display??? That's 3DTV Play quality.

This is great news, consoles are big business and so Sony and xbox must be lobbying for high bandwidth inputs, gives HDTV makers a reason to go with full speed, full res.

Man, console users are getting screwed, they must be unhappy about that. I figured they were doing 1080P/24 or /30 like Blu Ray 3D. I can't believe they are doing 720P, that's gross, but gives us PC gamers hope.

Posted 02/05/2011 12:21 AM   
A lot of console games are 720P anyway, even without 3D, so there isn't exactly a revolution brewing to get 1080P Stereo at 60Hz.
Personally I'd rather have 720P@60Hz than 1080P@30Hz, outside of text, scalers are surprisingly good.

I've said before I think Sony will push for 1080P@60Hz stereo, but not until PS4 is getting closer to release, and I'd have to guess that's at least 4 years away.
HDMI-1.4 is what it is, the only people who can change it is the consumer electronics companies, for that to happen there has to be a tangible demand or a negligible cost, right now there is neither.
A lot of console games are 720P anyway, even without 3D, so there isn't exactly a revolution brewing to get 1080P Stereo at 60Hz.

Personally I'd rather have 720P@60Hz than 1080P@30Hz, outside of text, scalers are surprisingly good.

I've said before I think Sony will push for 1080P@60Hz stereo, but not until PS4 is getting closer to release, and I'd have to guess that's at least 4 years away.

HDMI-1.4 is what it is, the only people who can change it is the consumer electronics companies, for that to happen there has to be a tangible demand or a negligible cost, right now there is neither.
Posted 02/05/2011 12:55 AM   
Sony might push it but their customers won`t.

Many(maybe the majority) console gamers have never even heard of 1080p.

In fact, I remember when several years ago when 1080p tvs came out, and I still see people shopping for tv`s today... thinking they need a 1080p TV to watch their favorite broadcasts on. They know 1080p is better then 720p because it is a higher number... lol.. so they go ahead and buy the tv. I used to ask people if they intended on watching blue ray discs and half of them never heard of blue ray and the other half just want to watch high def broadcasts of NCIS or something... so they go ahead and buy the 1080p because they think its better for tv broadcasts.

Hate to say it but anyone who drops $300 on a console and then $2000 - $4000 or more over a couple of years on games can`t be accused of showing major signs of forward thinking down the road kind of intelligence. Not to turn this into a PC vs console war but even those stupid controllers people are using for FPS games make me shake my head.

Order takers all of em.

Truth is, I believe, that someone can`t lobby for something they have never heard of or don`t understand.

I don`t have all the answers myself but I know enough to know feeding into the console market can only hurt the progression of gaming technology. And I love gaming.

That`s the truth.

(sorry I had to scroll to the top and re read what this thread is about... I might have gotten off topic)
Sony might push it but their customers won`t.

Many(maybe the majority) console gamers have never even heard of 1080p.

In fact, I remember when several years ago when 1080p tvs came out, and I still see people shopping for tv`s today... thinking they need a 1080p TV to watch their favorite broadcasts on. They know 1080p is better then 720p because it is a higher number... lol.. so they go ahead and buy the tv. I used to ask people if they intended on watching blue ray discs and half of them never heard of blue ray and the other half just want to watch high def broadcasts of NCIS or something... so they go ahead and buy the 1080p because they think its better for tv broadcasts.

Hate to say it but anyone who drops $300 on a console and then $2000 - $4000 or more over a couple of years on games can`t be accused of showing major signs of forward thinking down the road kind of intelligence. Not to turn this into a PC vs console war but even those stupid controllers people are using for FPS games make me shake my head.

Order takers all of em.

Truth is, I believe, that someone can`t lobby for something they have never heard of or don`t understand.

I don`t have all the answers myself but I know enough to know feeding into the console market can only hurt the progression of gaming technology. And I love gaming.

That`s the truth.

(sorry I had to scroll to the top and re read what this thread is about... I might have gotten off topic)

CASE ----- NZXT Tempest

Posted 02/05/2011 01:58 AM