HDMI1.4 checkerboard for all! 3D Vision software fix here!
  1 / 20    
Today I created a .inf file that allows checkerboard and page flipping mode selection on HDTVs that support these modes regardless of HDMI type or software revision. This solves the problem of being forced into ugly scaled 720P frame packing mode on displays with HDMI1.4 inputs. I just got this working so it hasn't been tested over a wide range of displays, and software releases. My test set up is:
Samsung PN63c7000 2010 3D Ready HDMI1.4, plasma
windows 7/64 bit/home premium
gtx480
3D Vision rev CD1.45

Basically, this .inf replaces the generic pnp Monitor .inf. In effect, it does in software what the Gefen DVI Detective does in hardware.
Be aware that:
1. This is for HDMI1.4 displays only.
2. Tested under 3D Vision with Nvidia emitter attached to computer USB port
3. Tested on only one config described below, should work on all HDMI1.4 Samsungs 3D Ready Plasmas and LEDs.

Instructions:
1. Start by installing CD1.45 and make sure you see the 3DTV Play logo and 'enable stereo 3D' box is checked (nvidia control panel). I had to manually install the nvidia USB drivers via device manager, there was a yellow warning flag on 'nvidia stereo controller.' If your games have already been running in 3D, then you are all set.

2. UnRAR attached file rollermod.rar. Be sure rollermod.inf is by itself in a folder, no other .infs present.

3.To install, go to device manager > monitor > update software > browse my computer> let me pick from a list.
Uncheck 'show compatible HW' then click 'have disc'.
From "install from disc" box browse to the location of the 'rollermod.inf' file. Select it, hit 'OK' then you will be back at a box that shows 'SAMSUNG (EDID Override)'. Click on 'SAMSUNG (EDID Override)' to highlight it then 'next'. It will load and you will get "Windows successful update" dialog then hit 'close'. Reboot your computer, open nvidia control panel. You should see no 3DTV Play logo, instead a box that gives various Stereoscopic 3D dispaly type. Choose 'Generic 3D DLP HDTV' to get checkerboard.

Launch a game that is already set to 1920x1080. From the Samsung remote, navigate to 3D and choose checkerboard mode. You must have checkerboard mode previously enabled on your Samsung TV, checkerboard is grayed out by default from the factory. Turn on your glasses and you should be gaming in 1920x1080 3D checkerboard at 60 frames per eye. The only issue is that the left/right eye toggling may be reversed. To fix, use the remote menu button to go back to '3D' > picture correction. I usually had to invoke correction twice to get it to take, you will instantly see the difference.
Some LGs and Mits TVs also have HDMI1.4 and checkerboard, so this may work on them too, haven't tried.
I will appreciate any feedback.
Today I created a .inf file that allows checkerboard and page flipping mode selection on HDTVs that support these modes regardless of HDMI type or software revision. This solves the problem of being forced into ugly scaled 720P frame packing mode on displays with HDMI1.4 inputs. I just got this working so it hasn't been tested over a wide range of displays, and software releases. My test set up is:

Samsung PN63c7000 2010 3D Ready HDMI1.4, plasma

windows 7/64 bit/home premium

gtx480

3D Vision rev CD1.45

Basically, this .inf replaces the generic pnp Monitor .inf. In effect, it does in software what the Gefen DVI Detective does in hardware.

Be aware that:

1. This is for HDMI1.4 displays only.

2. Tested under 3D Vision with Nvidia emitter attached to computer USB port

3. Tested on only one config described below, should work on all HDMI1.4 Samsungs 3D Ready Plasmas and LEDs.

Instructions:

1. Start by installing CD1.45 and make sure you see the 3DTV Play logo and 'enable stereo 3D' box is checked (nvidia control panel). I had to manually install the nvidia USB drivers via device manager, there was a yellow warning flag on 'nvidia stereo controller.' If your games have already been running in 3D, then you are all set.

2. UnRAR attached file rollermod.rar. Be sure rollermod.inf is by itself in a folder, no other .infs present.

3.To install, go to device manager > monitor > update software > browse my computer> let me pick from a list.

Uncheck 'show compatible HW' then click 'have disc'.

From "install from disc" box browse to the location of the 'rollermod.inf' file. Select it, hit 'OK' then you will be back at a box that shows 'SAMSUNG (EDID Override)'. Click on 'SAMSUNG (EDID Override)' to highlight it then 'next'. It will load and you will get "Windows successful update" dialog then hit 'close'. Reboot your computer, open nvidia control panel. You should see no 3DTV Play logo, instead a box that gives various Stereoscopic 3D dispaly type. Choose 'Generic 3D DLP HDTV' to get checkerboard.

Launch a game that is already set to 1920x1080. From the Samsung remote, navigate to 3D and choose checkerboard mode. You must have checkerboard mode previously enabled on your Samsung TV, checkerboard is grayed out by default from the factory. Turn on your glasses and you should be gaming in 1920x1080 3D checkerboard at 60 frames per eye. The only issue is that the left/right eye toggling may be reversed. To fix, use the remote menu button to go back to '3D' > picture correction. I usually had to invoke correction twice to get it to take, you will instantly see the difference.

Some LGs and Mits TVs also have HDMI1.4 and checkerboard, so this may work on them too, haven't tried.

I will appreciate any feedback.

Posted 01/28/2011 05:02 AM   
yes
this it is
i wanted this so much
really thx roller
u r genius :)

i v tested samsung55c8000 and gtx580
this works very fine

windowed mode 3d can do now
and
can surfing flawlessly
nvidia 3dvisionlive.com

and most importantthing for me is

there is no tearing no more in dx10 and dx11 game with this way(page flip)

really thx again roller
i am very happy coz of u ^^

and i will tell 1 tip for 3dvision user who have 3dtv
if u want to use ur samsung 3dtv in page flip mode then u must put 3dvision IR emitter away from ur 3dtv ,don,t plug off, just hide it and cover IR ray to prevent sync interference
then u can use page flip mode stable

and 1 more
in all games u have to choose 30HZ in display option not 60hz
if u set 60hz then sometimes vsync doe not work in s3d
and u may be need a special utility to fix 30hz
its called "refreshlock"
yes

this it is

i wanted this so much

really thx roller

u r genius :)

i v tested samsung55c8000 and gtx580

this works very fine

windowed mode 3d can do now

and

can surfing flawlessly

nvidia 3dvisionlive.com

and most importantthing for me is

there is no tearing no more in dx10 and dx11 game with this way(page flip)

really thx again roller

i am very happy coz of u ^^

and i will tell 1 tip for 3dvision user who have 3dtv

if u want to use ur samsung 3dtv in page flip mode then u must put 3dvision IR emitter away from ur 3dtv ,don,t plug off, just hide it and cover IR ray to prevent sync interference

then u can use page flip mode stable

and 1 more

in all games u have to choose 30HZ in display option not 60hz

if u set 60hz then sometimes vsync doe not work in s3d

and u may be need a special utility to fix 30hz

its called "refreshlock"

Posted 01/28/2011 05:41 AM   
Your a legend, thanks mate.
Your a legend, thanks mate.

Posted 01/28/2011 06:18 AM   
btw roller?
how can i return to 3dtv play again easily?
could u explain about it too?

btw roller?

how can i return to 3dtv play again easily?

could u explain about it too?

Posted 01/28/2011 07:12 AM   
firstlt thanks again.

I keep getting a red error message on display " vesa emmiter cable disconnected or 3d hdtv off" or something to thaty effect. Am i able to remove this error message?

Also my 3d image is a bit distorted, i used the picture correwction, and although improved it, it is still looking off. Any tweaks?

BTW, im on same tv as you.
firstlt thanks again.

I keep getting a red error message on display " vesa emmiter cable disconnected or 3d hdtv off" or something to thaty effect. Am i able to remove this error message?

Also my 3d image is a bit distorted, i used the picture correwction, and although improved it, it is still looking off. Any tweaks?

BTW, im on same tv as you.

Posted 01/28/2011 07:50 AM   
" vesa emmiter cable disconnected or 3d hdtv off" or something to thaty effect."
same here on my 3dtv
any 1 know how can make this disappear?

" vesa emmiter cable disconnected or 3d hdtv off" or something to thaty effect."

same here on my 3dtv

any 1 know how can make this disappear?

Posted 01/28/2011 08:26 AM   
Guys i went to try this out but it displayed red\blue 3d then i realised the trial was expired. I own 3dvision kit so where do i get my activation code from? i thought it just searched for the emitter and is activated?
Guys i went to try this out but it displayed red\blue 3d then i realised the trial was expired. I own 3dvision kit so where do i get my activation code from? i thought it just searched for the emitter and is activated?

Posted 01/28/2011 03:55 PM   
Roller11,

Good job. I take back my comment about your abilities. I guess if you can't get Nvidia to fix it, fix it yourself. I'll pass this info on to my nephew who has the same TV as yours.

Curious, what did you use as a BASIS for your EDID override in Monitor Asset Manager?

photios
Roller11,

Good job. I take back my comment about your abilities. I guess if you can't get Nvidia to fix it, fix it yourself. I'll pass this info on to my nephew who has the same TV as yours.

Curious, what did you use as a BASIS for your EDID override in Monitor Asset Manager?

photios

Posted 01/28/2011 04:15 PM   
johnzy,
Sounds like picture correction isn't working. You must apply it twice, so after you see "picture correction completed", hit select on remote (or await 1-2 seconds for the message to time out) and then immediately hit right arrow a second time. Pic should instantly clear and you'll see the "picture correction" message again. Other than that, there is no picture quality issue with this mod. The quality should be as if you had a real HDMI1.3 connection, so there's something else going on if you see some kind of distortion.
I have no idea why the image requires pic correction, at least it is 100% repeatable, it aways behaves the same way. When I launch a game, whether I set checkerboard mode in windows or wait until I'm in the game, this 'inversion' is obvious in the game. After 2x picture correction (takes two corrections everytime) picture is normal checkerboard 3D, as good as it gets and stays that way. After I exit game, I can stay in 3D mode and when I go back into any game, picture is normal, no pic correction needed. So I can go in and out of games without further PC as long as I don't return to 2D. But if I go back to 2D and then 3D, I have to apply 2x PC again.

ndlrjajdlfo,
I totally forgot to mention the sync interference thing. Yes, the Nvidia sync emitter still puts out sync that interferes with the HDTV emitter sync. All I did was put a small object between my nvidia emitter am myself so my glasses wouldn't 'see' the signal. The emitters use IR line of sight (instead of RF) so it is easy to block the signal you don't want.
You should be able to return to 3DTV Play by going back to device manager and reloading "generic PnP monitor" .inf file.

The red overlay message is indeed a problem. When a game is launched, the nvidia emitter module expects to have a sync signal present at the round sync port of the emitter. Of course there won't be a signal cause user is using the sync from the TV emitter. So Nvidia has designed in a false error message even though this config is a normal operational mode, still another design blunder.
We, the user, must fix this mistake by supplying a fake signal to the emitter so it will stop complaining. I built a squarewave generator and connected the output signal to the sync port of the emitter. All parts are very common and available and typically in stock at Radio Shack, cost is about ten dollars US. Basically 3 capacitors, two resistors, one 555 Timer IC, and a small piece of bread board. All I did was wikipedia "555 timer" and I got a schematic and a plug-in formula to calculate values. Be sure to use the "astable mode" diagram. The formula is straight forward except it uses the constant "ln 2" which of course is the natural logarithm of 2. For our purposes, ln 2 = 0.7
I have all the values worked out, I will write up a proper step by step tutorial later today and post it here.
I will also look into the picture correction issue.
johnzy,

Sounds like picture correction isn't working. You must apply it twice, so after you see "picture correction completed", hit select on remote (or await 1-2 seconds for the message to time out) and then immediately hit right arrow a second time. Pic should instantly clear and you'll see the "picture correction" message again. Other than that, there is no picture quality issue with this mod. The quality should be as if you had a real HDMI1.3 connection, so there's something else going on if you see some kind of distortion.

I have no idea why the image requires pic correction, at least it is 100% repeatable, it aways behaves the same way. When I launch a game, whether I set checkerboard mode in windows or wait until I'm in the game, this 'inversion' is obvious in the game. After 2x picture correction (takes two corrections everytime) picture is normal checkerboard 3D, as good as it gets and stays that way. After I exit game, I can stay in 3D mode and when I go back into any game, picture is normal, no pic correction needed. So I can go in and out of games without further PC as long as I don't return to 2D. But if I go back to 2D and then 3D, I have to apply 2x PC again.

ndlrjajdlfo,

I totally forgot to mention the sync interference thing. Yes, the Nvidia sync emitter still puts out sync that interferes with the HDTV emitter sync. All I did was put a small object between my nvidia emitter am myself so my glasses wouldn't 'see' the signal. The emitters use IR line of sight (instead of RF) so it is easy to block the signal you don't want.

You should be able to return to 3DTV Play by going back to device manager and reloading "generic PnP monitor" .inf file.

The red overlay message is indeed a problem. When a game is launched, the nvidia emitter module expects to have a sync signal present at the round sync port of the emitter. Of course there won't be a signal cause user is using the sync from the TV emitter. So Nvidia has designed in a false error message even though this config is a normal operational mode, still another design blunder.

We, the user, must fix this mistake by supplying a fake signal to the emitter so it will stop complaining. I built a squarewave generator and connected the output signal to the sync port of the emitter. All parts are very common and available and typically in stock at Radio Shack, cost is about ten dollars US. Basically 3 capacitors, two resistors, one 555 Timer IC, and a small piece of bread board. All I did was wikipedia "555 timer" and I got a schematic and a plug-in formula to calculate values. Be sure to use the "astable mode" diagram. The formula is straight forward except it uses the constant "ln 2" which of course is the natural logarithm of 2. For our purposes, ln 2 = 0.7

I have all the values worked out, I will write up a proper step by step tutorial later today and post it here.

I will also look into the picture correction issue.

Posted 01/28/2011 04:27 PM   
Hi all. I have two little questions: 1. is the checkerboard FULL screen? 2. I don't have the ir emitter: is it a problem?
I have a samsung c8000 46''. Thanks.
Hi all. I have two little questions: 1. is the checkerboard FULL screen? 2. I don't have the ir emitter: is it a problem?

I have a samsung c8000 46''. Thanks.

Posted 01/28/2011 06:08 PM   
First, a big THANK YOU to Nobsi who was instrumental in this .inf project. He sent me the EDID file from his HDMI1.3 Samsung plasma which I then used as a base for the resulting modded .inf file. I basically merged parts of my Samsung DLP into his Samsung plasma to get a working .inf.
Make no mistake, Nobsi is the genius, the one who gets credit for this checkerboard endeavor, I just 'carried the torch' for the last ten meters. Nobsi figured out all the issues and devised a hardware hack. With his donated Samsung EDID, I was able to do in software what he did in hardware.

Tommy,
There is no activating the 3D glasses emitter. If you have a Nvidia emitter, just D/L 3D Vision CD1.45 from the Nvidia site. Just be sure the emitter is plugged into your computer via the USB cable and follow the instructions. And be sure to enable the HDMI1/DVI port to gain the advanced 3D display modes, they are disabled (grayed out) from the factory.

Photios,
The base is Nobsi's Samsung plasma EDID info which I merged with my Samsung DLP EDID.

petpet,
yes and yes. With no nvidia emitter, all gaming will be in 2D.
First, a big THANK YOU to Nobsi who was instrumental in this .inf project. He sent me the EDID file from his HDMI1.3 Samsung plasma which I then used as a base for the resulting modded .inf file. I basically merged parts of my Samsung DLP into his Samsung plasma to get a working .inf.

Make no mistake, Nobsi is the genius, the one who gets credit for this checkerboard endeavor, I just 'carried the torch' for the last ten meters. Nobsi figured out all the issues and devised a hardware hack. With his donated Samsung EDID, I was able to do in software what he did in hardware.

Tommy,

There is no activating the 3D glasses emitter. If you have a Nvidia emitter, just D/L 3D Vision CD1.45 from the Nvidia site. Just be sure the emitter is plugged into your computer via the USB cable and follow the instructions. And be sure to enable the HDMI1/DVI port to gain the advanced 3D display modes, they are disabled (grayed out) from the factory.

Photios,

The base is Nobsi's Samsung plasma EDID info which I merged with my Samsung DLP EDID.

petpet,

yes and yes. With no nvidia emitter, all gaming will be in 2D.

Posted 01/28/2011 08:02 PM   
Thanks. Now i'm using 3dtv play and games are very good in 3d; so i can't use your fix with only 3dtv play?
Thanks. Now i'm using 3dtv play and games are very good in 3d; so i can't use your fix with only 3dtv play?

Posted 01/28/2011 09:18 PM   
Good question. I would have tested 3DTV Play, but I don't have it. Please test and report back.
Good question. I would have tested 3DTV Play, but I don't have it. Please test and report back.

Posted 01/28/2011 09:29 PM   
Works on my Samsung c680. It's a shame there's no software fix for the vesa display message though.
Soooo close to having it work perfectly ... oh well, might just build that squarewave generator, although I'm not very experienced at building electronics.
But at least I can enjoy 1080p/30 using page flip mode.
Thanks so much roller11 & Nobsi, you guys kick ass!

Nvidia, I hope you're paying attention.
Works on my Samsung c680. It's a shame there's no software fix for the vesa display message though.

Soooo close to having it work perfectly ... oh well, might just build that squarewave generator, although I'm not very experienced at building electronics.

But at least I can enjoy 1080p/30 using page flip mode.

Thanks so much roller11 & Nobsi, you guys kick ass!

Nvidia, I hope you're paying attention.

Posted 01/28/2011 09:43 PM   
Thanks for the reply roller and great work btw. I have enabled all 3d modes on the TV a while ago. I did install 1.45 but it does not let me have 3dtvplay at all and the emitter is definitley plugged in, i'll keep trying but thanks anyway.

Fuchibot is 1080p/30 pageflip just another way of saying checkerboard or is pageflipping another 3d mode?
Thanks for the reply roller and great work btw. I have enabled all 3d modes on the TV a while ago. I did install 1.45 but it does not let me have 3dtvplay at all and the emitter is definitley plugged in, i'll keep trying but thanks anyway.

Fuchibot is 1080p/30 pageflip just another way of saying checkerboard or is pageflipping another 3d mode?

Posted 01/28/2011 09:47 PM   
  1 / 20    
Scroll To Top