GeForce 9800m GTS
I have a 2 year old Gateway FX p-7805u gaming laptop with Windows7 64bit (self installed - it came with Vista), Intel Core2 duo, 4gig Ram, and Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTS video card. My problem is this, recently my video card has started heating up. It's running about 60-70c normally when on. Watching video or being on the net doesn't affect this much. The temperature climbs to 120c + with 100% fan when trying to play video games and my framerate drops into the single digits. Definitely too hot in both instances.

I removed a back panel and cleaned a fan. There was quite a bit of "fluff" in it (like I said it's two years old). But I'm not any sort of techie and I don't know if this fan was for the cpu or gpu or even if the gpu has a separate fan. Either way it didn't help. I don't want to crack the case myself, past that one panel I removed. There's no warranty to worry about any longer, I am just afraid I may break it or won't be able to put it back together correctly and I don't have the money to purchase a new computer if I screw up this one.

My question is this: is this computer in need of more cleaning, which I can pay someone to do? Or is my vid card needing replacing, which I'm not sure I can afford? Or is my computer screwed, which I know I cannot afford?
I have a 2 year old Gateway FX p-7805u gaming laptop with Windows7 64bit (self installed - it came with Vista), Intel Core2 duo, 4gig Ram, and Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTS video card. My problem is this, recently my video card has started heating up. It's running about 60-70c normally when on. Watching video or being on the net doesn't affect this much. The temperature climbs to 120c + with 100% fan when trying to play video games and my framerate drops into the single digits. Definitely too hot in both instances.

I removed a back panel and cleaned a fan. There was quite a bit of "fluff" in it (like I said it's two years old). But I'm not any sort of techie and I don't know if this fan was for the cpu or gpu or even if the gpu has a separate fan. Either way it didn't help. I don't want to crack the case myself, past that one panel I removed. There's no warranty to worry about any longer, I am just afraid I may break it or won't be able to put it back together correctly and I don't have the money to purchase a new computer if I screw up this one.

My question is this: is this computer in need of more cleaning, which I can pay someone to do? Or is my vid card needing replacing, which I'm not sure I can afford? Or is my computer screwed, which I know I cannot afford?

Posted 01/27/2011 10:06 PM   
[size="3"]My Gateway FX P-7801U has the same problem ! And I want to ask the same question.

I think there to much dust on the cooling fins.[/size]
My Gateway FX P-7801U has the same problem ! And I want to ask the same question.

I think there to much dust on the cooling fins.

Posted 01/28/2011 11:29 AM   
[quote name='Topstar' date='28 January 2011 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1296214194' post='1184959']
[size="3"]My Gateway FX P-7801U has the same problem ! And I want to ask the same question.

I think there to much dust on the cooling fins.[/size]
[/quote]

Seems that having my computer professionally cleaned has done the trick. All I hear in this forum is crickets. I wonder if anyone comes here or if they do, if anyone gives a rat's patootie.
[quote name='Topstar' date='28 January 2011 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1296214194' post='1184959']

My Gateway FX P-7801U has the same problem ! And I want to ask the same question.

I think there to much dust on the cooling fins.

Seems that having my computer professionally cleaned has done the trick. All I hear in this forum is crickets. I wonder if anyone comes here or if they do, if anyone gives a rat's patootie.

Posted 02/01/2011 04:54 PM   
Scroll To Top