To dedicate or not - PhysX Primary card 580 GTX + 8800 GTS 512 PhysX ?
  1 / 2    
In an attempt to figure out what the best configuration is for my system related to PhysX.

I just purchased a GTX 580 and will be using it in stand alone mode for my main graphics adaptor.

I am replacing two 8800 GTS (G92) cards that are running in SLI.

I was thinking of leaving one of the 8800 GTS cards in the machine and dedicating it toward PhysX if it would enhance the overall performance. I am unsure of the technology related to PhysX and if the hardware I am considering for PhysX will bottleneck it or allow it to operate any more or less optimized than with just the one card.

So basically, should I use the older 8800 GTS 512 card for a dedicated PhysX card with the 580 GTX or should I just use the 580 GTX card for everything?

Thank you for any replies.
In an attempt to figure out what the best configuration is for my system related to PhysX.

I just purchased a GTX 580 and will be using it in stand alone mode for my main graphics adaptor.

I am replacing two 8800 GTS (G92) cards that are running in SLI.

I was thinking of leaving one of the 8800 GTS cards in the machine and dedicating it toward PhysX if it would enhance the overall performance. I am unsure of the technology related to PhysX and if the hardware I am considering for PhysX will bottleneck it or allow it to operate any more or less optimized than with just the one card.

So basically, should I use the older 8800 GTS 512 card for a dedicated PhysX card with the 580 GTX or should I just use the 580 GTX card for everything?

Thank you for any replies.

Posted 01/24/2011 04:27 PM   
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I would assume that the 8800GTS is too small to run PhsyX for that beasty GTX580 - a general rule of thumb is that the PhysX GPU should have more that 1/4 (or 1/2 - depending where you read) of the CUDA cores of the main GPU for it to function without bottlenecking. As the GTX580 has 512 and the 8800GTS has circa 100, I'd say that it is too small to run without bottlenecking.

That said, you may not notice the bottleneck (due to other system influences or just because it is such a great GPU). I think basically; give it a shot with and without & see which looks best for you. Ohhh, N.B. I don't know if the latest drivers are 'unified' yet - i.e. may not run an older GPU with the 500 series...
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I would assume that the 8800GTS is too small to run PhsyX for that beasty GTX580 - a general rule of thumb is that the PhysX GPU should have more that 1/4 (or 1/2 - depending where you read) of the CUDA cores of the main GPU for it to function without bottlenecking. As the GTX580 has 512 and the 8800GTS has circa 100, I'd say that it is too small to run without bottlenecking.

That said, you may not notice the bottleneck (due to other system influences or just because it is such a great GPU). I think basically; give it a shot with and without & see which looks best for you. Ohhh, N.B. I don't know if the latest drivers are 'unified' yet - i.e. may not run an older GPU with the 500 series...

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/24/2011 07:32 PM   
It will bottleneck your GTX 580 by a fair bit.

Then again, Mafia 2 uses the CPU for some physX if you don't have a dedicated physX card installed, which hurts... Either way, you'll find it worth having the dedicated physX if you actually play some of the games that use it.

I use a similar setup SLI GTX 460 1GB is about as powerful as a 580, GT 240 is about as good at physX as a 8800 GTS.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653718&highlight=physx

Read my testing with Mafia 2 and you should then be able to make up your mind :)
It will bottleneck your GTX 580 by a fair bit.

Then again, Mafia 2 uses the CPU for some physX if you don't have a dedicated physX card installed, which hurts... Either way, you'll find it worth having the dedicated physX if you actually play some of the games that use it.

I use a similar setup SLI GTX 460 1GB is about as powerful as a 580, GT 240 is about as good at physX as a 8800 GTS.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653718&highlight=physx

Read my testing with Mafia 2 and you should then be able to make up your mind :)

Posted 01/25/2011 12:53 AM   
The 8800GTS 512MB, which I'm assuming is what you have, only has 128 CUDA Cores. That won't really help you out much.

Also, what games are you planning to play? Only certain games actually benefit from having a dedicated PhysX Card. If you aren't playing games like Mafia 2, Metro 2033, or Batman:AA, or a similar engined game, it's not going to make a lick of difference. The 8800GTS will almost certainly make your performance worse than running physx off of the 580 in Mafia 2, as I tried to run a GTX 260 as my dedicated PhysX and it ran worse than with just one of my 580s doing PhysX with SLi enabled.
The 8800GTS 512MB, which I'm assuming is what you have, only has 128 CUDA Cores. That won't really help you out much.

Also, what games are you planning to play? Only certain games actually benefit from having a dedicated PhysX Card. If you aren't playing games like Mafia 2, Metro 2033, or Batman:AA, or a similar engined game, it's not going to make a lick of difference. The 8800GTS will almost certainly make your performance worse than running physx off of the 580 in Mafia 2, as I tried to run a GTX 260 as my dedicated PhysX and it ran worse than with just one of my 580s doing PhysX with SLi enabled.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/25/2011 01:19 PM   
I get a slight performance gain in the titles Goddess mentioned using my GTX480/280PPU combo. That said, the performance gain is not worth the power and space requirements. The only reason I still have the 280 installed is because it was just laying around collecting dust. Now it's collecting dust in my rig I guess, lol (except for those rare times when I play a PhysX enabled game).

Based off what I've seen with my rig, I wouldn't recommend that anyone choose a dedicated PPU with less than half of the CUDA cores of their primary GPU. You just won't see any benefit otherwise.

I have to try out Mafia 2. I still haven't purchased that game. I hear that a dedicated PPU can work wonders, but I also heard that about Arkham Asylum as well. In my experience with Arkham Asylum, the dedicated PPU definitely helps, but the difference is not "night and day".
I get a slight performance gain in the titles Goddess mentioned using my GTX480/280PPU combo. That said, the performance gain is not worth the power and space requirements. The only reason I still have the 280 installed is because it was just laying around collecting dust. Now it's collecting dust in my rig I guess, lol (except for those rare times when I play a PhysX enabled game).

Based off what I've seen with my rig, I wouldn't recommend that anyone choose a dedicated PPU with less than half of the CUDA cores of their primary GPU. You just won't see any benefit otherwise.

I have to try out Mafia 2. I still haven't purchased that game. I hear that a dedicated PPU can work wonders, but I also heard that about Arkham Asylum as well. In my experience with Arkham Asylum, the dedicated PPU definitely helps, but the difference is not "night and day".

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 01/25/2011 03:36 PM   
Mafia 2 is one of the few titles that having a dedicated PPU AND activating Advanced Apex PhysX in game makes a BIG difference in graphics. Walls/pillers break apart in to pieces, glass doesn't just shatter and disappear, it shatters and leaves glass on the ground, etc. It's one of the better titles I've seen validly use and like PhysX to be honest. The performance drops a bit, even with a dedicated PPU, but in that particular game, the added physx graphics themselves, IMO, are worth the FPS drop, if you have a dedicated PPU to handle the PhysX. I tried running it with PhysX on and just SLi enabled with just my 580s in the system and it bogged me down BAD in terms of performance.

I think what I'll end up doing, possibly, is gettin' a 560 for dedicated PhysX for when I'm not running 3-Way SLi, whenever I get a 3rd 580 /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Course, I'll only use it if I feel like playin' Mafia 2 or Metro 2033.

Honestly, I've yet to see what PhysX actually DOES in Metro 2033, other than some cloth physx that are there ANYWAY with it disabled (at least they appear to be). ::shrug::
Mafia 2 is one of the few titles that having a dedicated PPU AND activating Advanced Apex PhysX in game makes a BIG difference in graphics. Walls/pillers break apart in to pieces, glass doesn't just shatter and disappear, it shatters and leaves glass on the ground, etc. It's one of the better titles I've seen validly use and like PhysX to be honest. The performance drops a bit, even with a dedicated PPU, but in that particular game, the added physx graphics themselves, IMO, are worth the FPS drop, if you have a dedicated PPU to handle the PhysX. I tried running it with PhysX on and just SLi enabled with just my 580s in the system and it bogged me down BAD in terms of performance.

I think what I'll end up doing, possibly, is gettin' a 560 for dedicated PhysX for when I'm not running 3-Way SLi, whenever I get a 3rd 580 /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Course, I'll only use it if I feel like playin' Mafia 2 or Metro 2033.

Honestly, I've yet to see what PhysX actually DOES in Metro 2033, other than some cloth physx that are there ANYWAY with it disabled (at least they appear to be). ::shrug::

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/25/2011 07:18 PM   
I just finished Mafia 2. It's the first PhysX game which makes me want a dedicated PhysX card. Not just because it's uses so much PhysX, but because it's such a nice engine. Mafia 2 is worthy of the additional time,effort, cost to setup a dedicated physx card, in my opinion. It looks amazing in 3D vision, especially driving. I seriously could not believe my eyes when I stepped out of the taxi in the snow. I spent minutes running around in the snow bumping into cars and people.

I am looking forward to the next game to use that engine.
I just finished Mafia 2. It's the first PhysX game which makes me want a dedicated PhysX card. Not just because it's uses so much PhysX, but because it's such a nice engine. Mafia 2 is worthy of the additional time,effort, cost to setup a dedicated physx card, in my opinion. It looks amazing in 3D vision, especially driving. I seriously could not believe my eyes when I stepped out of the taxi in the snow. I spent minutes running around in the snow bumping into cars and people.

[Acer GD245HQ - 1920x1080 120Hz] [Nvidia 3D Vision]
[Asus P7H55 - core i3 530 @4.15GHz ~1.39V and Zalman CNPS5X] [Transcend 2x2GB DDR3]
[Palit GTX 260 @ 695MHz (580 died)] [Intel SSD 330 - 240GB]
[Creative Titanium HD + Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm) headphones] [Windows 7 64bit]

Posted 01/26/2011 03:41 PM   
One more thing about mafia 2, which I read about:

For people with 2 identical cards in SLI, try changing to single card + dedicated physX card
performance may be better in mafia 2.

For people with 2 identical cards in SLI, try changing to single card + dedicated physX card

[Acer GD245HQ - 1920x1080 120Hz] [Nvidia 3D Vision]
[Asus P7H55 - core i3 530 @4.15GHz ~1.39V and Zalman CNPS5X] [Transcend 2x2GB DDR3]
[Palit GTX 260 @ 695MHz (580 died)] [Intel SSD 330 - 240GB]
[Creative Titanium HD + Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm) headphones] [Windows 7 64bit]

Posted 01/26/2011 03:55 PM   
[quote name='Partol' date='26 January 2011 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1296057310' post='1183897']

[/quote]

Yeah I tried that... performance with PhysX is pretty iffy with or without a dedicated physx card. I have a feeling it's due to CPU inadquacy being unable to supply the GPU and PPU with the data fast enough. SLi and even single card performs better with PhysX disabled, by far, than the system does with PhysX enabled, even with a Dedicated PPU as one of the two 580s.

I agree with you though, the physx in this game really do make a sound argument for a PPU. I would love to see more games on this engine as well.
[quote name='Partol' date='26 January 2011 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1296057310' post='1183897']

Yeah I tried that... performance with PhysX is pretty iffy with or without a dedicated physx card. I have a feeling it's due to CPU inadquacy being unable to supply the GPU and PPU with the data fast enough. SLi and even single card performs better with PhysX disabled, by far, than the system does with PhysX enabled, even with a Dedicated PPU as one of the two 580s.

I agree with you though, the physx in this game really do make a sound argument for a PPU. I would love to see more games on this engine as well.

Posted 01/26/2011 04:29 PM   
Thanks for the replies.

I have tested with FRAPS using the Batman AA demo and I also just got a copy of Mafia II. I was monitoring GPU utilization using EVGA Precision on my Logitech G15 Keyboard LCD display. I have the 580 GTX running at Superclocked Speeds and an 8800 GTS (G92) Overclocked Alpha Dog version.

First test was Batman AA:
I left the PhysX on the 580 GTX and I was getting 42 FPS in the opening scene with max demo settings. The 580 GPU utilization was around 95%.

Second test, I dedicated the PhysX to the 8800 GTS and was getting 60 FPS with Vsync capping the FPS. The 580 was 75% utilization and the 8800 GTS was 45% utilization.

With Batman AA I think having the GTX 580 processing the game and at least the 8800 GTS dedicated to PhysX improved performance.

--

The next game was Mafia II: I ran the same tests and saw similar results. The GTX 580 does not seem to be slowed down or bottlenecked at all by using the 8800 GTS for dedicated PhysX.

--

Bottom line: Too few games utilize PhysX to go out and buy a card for the purpose of it. If you have a high end 8800 or higher family GPU laying around it may be worth testing to see for yourself. I think the key value to monitor is the GPU utilization of the older card being dedicated to PhysX, if the utilization of that card is not maxxed and you gain overall FPS while playing the game, then I think it benefits the system overall.

The number of cores and ratios that I read about did not pan out according to the cards I used, so I think that logic is not accurate.
Thanks for the replies.

I have tested with FRAPS using the Batman AA demo and I also just got a copy of Mafia II. I was monitoring GPU utilization using EVGA Precision on my Logitech G15 Keyboard LCD display. I have the 580 GTX running at Superclocked Speeds and an 8800 GTS (G92) Overclocked Alpha Dog version.

I left the PhysX on the 580 GTX and I was getting 42 FPS in the opening scene with max demo settings. The 580 GPU utilization was around 95%.

Second test, I dedicated the PhysX to the 8800 GTS and was getting 60 FPS with Vsync capping the FPS. The 580 was 75% utilization and the 8800 GTS was 45% utilization.

With Batman AA I think having the GTX 580 processing the game and at least the 8800 GTS dedicated to PhysX improved performance.

--

The next game was Mafia II: I ran the same tests and saw similar results. The GTX 580 does not seem to be slowed down or bottlenecked at all by using the 8800 GTS for dedicated PhysX.

--

Bottom line: Too few games utilize PhysX to go out and buy a card for the purpose of it. If you have a high end 8800 or higher family GPU laying around it may be worth testing to see for yourself. I think the key value to monitor is the GPU utilization of the older card being dedicated to PhysX, if the utilization of that card is not maxxed and you gain overall FPS while playing the game, then I think it benefits the system overall.

The number of cores and ratios that I read about did not pan out according to the cards I used, so I think that logic is not accurate.

Posted 01/28/2011 12:48 PM   
[quote name='xanupox_SLI' date='28 January 2011 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1296218886' post='1184981']
Thanks for the replies.

--

--

[/quote]

that is quite interesting. i am thinking of getting a GTX580 and i have an old 8800GTS (ECS EliteGroup model) in my brother's PC which i could use for dedicated PhysX processing. when u do use a second card for dedicated PhysX processing how does it work exactly? do u just plug in the second card into the second PCI-e slot (the 8x slot) and when a game uses PhysX it will use the second card. or do u need an SLi bridge? how do they talk to each other is my main question. how do u enable PhysX when a game uses it?
which program are u using to monitor GPU utilization?
[quote name='xanupox_SLI' date='28 January 2011 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1296218886' post='1184981']

Thanks for the replies.

--

--

that is quite interesting. i am thinking of getting a GTX580 and i have an old 8800GTS (ECS EliteGroup model) in my brother's PC which i could use for dedicated PhysX processing. when u do use a second card for dedicated PhysX processing how does it work exactly? do u just plug in the second card into the second PCI-e slot (the 8x slot) and when a game uses PhysX it will use the second card. or do u need an SLi bridge? how do they talk to each other is my main question. how do u enable PhysX when a game uses it?

which program are u using to monitor GPU utilization?

Core i7-860/Gigabyte P55A-UD5/G.Skill-Trident 4GB DDR3-1600/nVidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB/LG Flatron W2261VP (2ms)/ViewSonic VX1932wm WS (2ms)/WD Black SATA 1TB/WD Green SATA 1TB HDD x2/LG SATA 18x DVDRW x2/Pioneer 206BK Blu ray burner/Thermaltake Evo_Blue 750Watt PSU/Noctua NH-C12P-SE14/Lancool PC-K62 Case

Posted 08/25/2011 12:53 PM   
[quote name='xanupox_SLI' date='28 January 2011 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1296218886' post='1184981']
Thanks for the replies.

--

--

[/quote]

Sorry I should have looked around more when starting a brand new, almost identical thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208697

Basically I'm in the exact same boat except with a 570 instead of a 580. I haven't done proper benchmarks because I don't know how frankly! I barely seem to notice a difference when the 8800GTS is dedicated or not, I mean it's there, but not by much. I think the main issue is with Mirror's Edge. The PhysX just seems to break it even at low resolutions, regardless of dedicated or not. Is the PhysX in that game simply badly implemented?

I'll keep the dedicated card around for a while, might as well, waiting for when I get a second 570 next year. But based off what I'm hearing here, it's the comparable power of the cards which is important? Sounds strange to me. Maybe I'll buy my brother's 460 off of him.

TL;DR: 2x8800GTS runs BAA 1080p ~50-60fps, 720p ~50fps with PhysX. GTX 570 runs BAA 1080p 60fps, but the whole 8800 can't even handle JUST the PhysX?

Also: What is the difference (aesthetically) between Normal and High PhysX in Batman?
[quote name='xanupox_SLI' date='28 January 2011 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1296218886' post='1184981']

Thanks for the replies.

--

--

Sorry I should have looked around more when starting a brand new, almost identical thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208697

Basically I'm in the exact same boat except with a 570 instead of a 580. I haven't done proper benchmarks because I don't know how frankly! I barely seem to notice a difference when the 8800GTS is dedicated or not, I mean it's there, but not by much. I think the main issue is with Mirror's Edge. The PhysX just seems to break it even at low resolutions, regardless of dedicated or not. Is the PhysX in that game simply badly implemented?

I'll keep the dedicated card around for a while, might as well, waiting for when I get a second 570 next year. But based off what I'm hearing here, it's the comparable power of the cards which is important? Sounds strange to me. Maybe I'll buy my brother's 460 off of him.

TL;DR: 2x8800GTS runs BAA 1080p ~50-60fps, 720p ~50fps with PhysX. GTX 570 runs BAA 1080p 60fps, but the whole 8800 can't even handle JUST the PhysX?

Also: What is the difference (aesthetically) between Normal and High PhysX in Batman?

Posted 08/25/2011 01:20 PM   
[quote name='Partol' date='26 January 2011 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1296056488' post='1183891']

[/quote]

Really struggling to be impressed by 3D. Killzone 3 did it badly, and been looking forward to my new card so I can use 3D on my PC. Similarly lacklustre. Only game that has 'wowed' me with the 3D is Super Stardust HD. :D
[quote name='Partol' date='26 January 2011 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1296056488' post='1183891']

Really struggling to be impressed by 3D. Killzone 3 did it badly, and been looking forward to my new card so I can use 3D on my PC. Similarly lacklustre. Only game that has 'wowed' me with the 3D is Super Stardust HD. :D

Posted 08/25/2011 01:22 PM   
No you don't use an sli bridge.
You select the gpu that you want physx to run on in the NVCP under the physx tab.
I use evga precision to monitor gpu usage,but you can also use msi afterburner,etc.

You select the gpu that you want physx to run on in the NVCP under the physx tab.

I use evga precision to monitor gpu usage,but you can also use msi afterburner,etc.

Posted 08/25/2011 01:25 PM   
[quote name='Impatient' date='25 August 2011 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1314278746' post='1284072']
[/quote]

Wait I don't use the bridge? Mine are bridged (570+8800). Could that be detrimental to performance?
[quote name='Impatient' date='25 August 2011 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1314278746' post='1284072']

Wait I don't use the bridge? Mine are bridged (570+8800). Could that be detrimental to performance?

Posted 08/25/2011 01:30 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top