Rift in 3d? when?
  1 / 6    
Hi all,

Will Rift MMo be added to the 3d vision list of games?

And if anyone wants to try out the beta's it's first one to get this key into an account at trion will give access to the rest of the beta's:

Vip Beta Key: TEQ7-K29T-PDKX-6TMM-DYK7

I pre-ordered the game so already have access to the beta's.

Let me know who got it.
Hi all,

And if anyone wants to try out the beta's it's first one to get this key into an account at trion will give access to the rest of the beta's:

Let me know who got it.

Posted 01/22/2011 08:14 PM   
[quote name='Codebreaker' date='22 January 2011 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1295727274' post='1181843']
Hi all,

Let me know who got it.
[/quote]

Rift does not play well with 3d vision, may never do
[quote name='Codebreaker' date='22 January 2011 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1295727274' post='1181843']

Hi all,

Let me know who got it.

Rift does not play well with 3d vision, may never do

Posted 01/23/2011 10:17 AM   
I'd be complaining in the developer forums if I were you, any real fix would probably have to come from the developer.
I'd be complaining in the developer forums if I were you, any real fix would probably have to come from the developer.
Posted 01/23/2011 06:50 PM   
Actually, you guys are fairly wrong on this one.

The game uses the same engine that Fallout 3 uses, and that game happens to look amazing in 3d. In fact, if this game DID NOT GET MIS-IDENTIFIED BY NVIDIA AS AN OLD GAME then it would probably work well with 3D Vision.

As it stands now, the game is being identified as "The Rift". I believe that it is actually this game - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasm:_The_Rift. Digging around in the Resource.DAT file it looks like it is forcing the game to render is some type of bs compatibility mode where only the UI elementals are given 3d treatment. I'd love to just change the .exe name to fallout 3 and see how it runs, but I can't because the game launcher rejects it. You also can't edit the resource.dat because it is either overwritten, or they write a new on every reboot (loads into memory) if it doesn't have access to it.

So the ONLY way this is going to get fixed is if nvidia updates their game profiles. Contacting the game makers won't do a bit of good.
Actually, you guys are fairly wrong on this one.

The game uses the same engine that Fallout 3 uses, and that game happens to look amazing in 3d. In fact, if this game DID NOT GET MIS-IDENTIFIED BY NVIDIA AS AN OLD GAME then it would probably work well with 3D Vision.

As it stands now, the game is being identified as "The Rift". I believe that it is actually this game - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasm:_The_Rift. Digging around in the Resource.DAT file it looks like it is forcing the game to render is some type of bs compatibility mode where only the UI elementals are given 3d treatment. I'd love to just change the .exe name to fallout 3 and see how it runs, but I can't because the game launcher rejects it. You also can't edit the resource.dat because it is either overwritten, or they write a new on every reboot (loads into memory) if it doesn't have access to it.

So the ONLY way this is going to get fixed is if nvidia updates their game profiles. Contacting the game makers won't do a bit of good.

Posted 01/26/2011 02:25 AM   
Well at least there's hope now that we know that it could be just a profile issue. Hopefully Nvidia will release some new drivers that fix two worlds 2, dead space 2 and rift.
Well at least there's hope now that we know that it could be just a profile issue. Hopefully Nvidia will release some new drivers that fix two worlds 2, dead space 2 and rift.

Posted 01/26/2011 08:50 AM   
You could try taking away permissions to write and delete that file from system and all users, then it can't possibly overwrite it. Where is that resource.dat file btw? Or do you mean the nvstres.dll file?

EDIT: With the current rift beta client, when you have Fullscreen FX disabled only the UI gets seperation, this is what happened when I tried it last beta. With it enabled, everything gets seperation, but the seperation is the same for everything, so there is still no depth.

EDIT2: Haha I GOT IT WORKING! It IS a profile issue. I used Resource Hacker on the riftpatchbeta.exe. Under RCData there is an XML file, where there are 2 mentions of "rift.exe". I changed these to "riftgame.exe" instead and clicked compile script at the top (dunno if this is necessary) and then I saved the file. Then I made a copy of the rift.exe and named it riftgame.exe. Now when I run the patcher it loads riftgame.exe instead and the nvidia driver no longer recognizes the game so it doesn't go into compatibility mode for that other game.
You could try taking away permissions to write and delete that file from system and all users, then it can't possibly overwrite it. Where is that resource.dat file btw? Or do you mean the nvstres.dll file?

EDIT: With the current rift beta client, when you have Fullscreen FX disabled only the UI gets seperation, this is what happened when I tried it last beta. With it enabled, everything gets seperation, but the seperation is the same for everything, so there is still no depth.

EDIT2: Haha I GOT IT WORKING! It IS a profile issue. I used Resource Hacker on the riftpatchbeta.exe. Under RCData there is an XML file, where there are 2 mentions of "rift.exe". I changed these to "riftgame.exe" instead and clicked compile script at the top (dunno if this is necessary) and then I saved the file. Then I made a copy of the rift.exe and named it riftgame.exe. Now when I run the patcher it loads riftgame.exe instead and the nvidia driver no longer recognizes the game so it doesn't go into compatibility mode for that other game.

Current Rig: |Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, EVGA X58 Classified 4-way SLI, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670| -> |Acer H5360 + Nvidia 3D Vision|

Posted 01/26/2011 05:51 PM   
[quote name='Xerion404' date='26 January 2011 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1296064309' post='1183988']
Haha I GOT IT WORKING! It IS a profile issue. I used Resource Hacker on the riftpatchbeta.exe. Under RCData there is an XML file, where there are 2 mentions of "rift.exe". I changed these to "riftgame.exe" instead and clicked compile script at the top (dunno if this is necessary) and then I saved the file. Then I made a copy of the rift.exe and named it riftgame.exe. Now when I run the patcher it loads riftgame.exe instead and the nvidia driver no longer recognizes the game so it doesn't go into compatibility mode for that other game.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for this fix. There's just no playing an mmo in 2d for me anymore. Game looks great, although I did have to disable shadows and some of the distortion and glow effects render double images, but I can live with it. Game is fun but feels very much like a better looking wow so far. I'm low lvl though, so I'm hopeful.

Nvidia needs to allow a way to bypass the auto compatibility mode. Give us advanced functionality, please.
[quote name='Xerion404' date='26 January 2011 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1296064309' post='1183988']

Haha I GOT IT WORKING! It IS a profile issue. I used Resource Hacker on the riftpatchbeta.exe. Under RCData there is an XML file, where there are 2 mentions of "rift.exe". I changed these to "riftgame.exe" instead and clicked compile script at the top (dunno if this is necessary) and then I saved the file. Then I made a copy of the rift.exe and named it riftgame.exe. Now when I run the patcher it loads riftgame.exe instead and the nvidia driver no longer recognizes the game so it doesn't go into compatibility mode for that other game.

Thanks so much for this fix. There's just no playing an mmo in 2d for me anymore. Game looks great, although I did have to disable shadows and some of the distortion and glow effects render double images, but I can live with it. Game is fun but feels very much like a better looking wow so far. I'm low lvl though, so I'm hopeful.

Nvidia needs to allow a way to bypass the auto compatibility mode. Give us advanced functionality, please.

Posted 01/27/2011 03:56 AM   
[quote name='Xerion404' date='26 January 2011 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1296064309' post='1183988']
[/quote]

Nice man! You took my hacking attempts to another level. The resource.dat is located in C:/ProgramData(Hidden)/Nvidia. I tried to edit it and strip every single right to it. Hell I even pulled my owned permissions from it. No go. I deleted it and they simply created a new one. I locked it and they created a .new. No matter what I did that file is either overwritten or a new one is made on every reboot, but with your hack I don't even have to worry about it.

Now.. I'm going to go play the game in 3d.
[quote name='Xerion404' date='26 January 2011 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1296064309' post='1183988']

Nice man! You took my hacking attempts to another level. The resource.dat is located in C:/ProgramData(Hidden)/Nvidia. I tried to edit it and strip every single right to it. Hell I even pulled my owned permissions from it. No go. I deleted it and they simply created a new one. I locked it and they created a .new. No matter what I did that file is either overwritten or a new one is made on every reboot, but with your hack I don't even have to worry about it.

Posted 01/27/2011 07:07 AM   
[quote name='Paperninja' date='27 January 2011 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1296112037' post='1184395']

[/quote]

So the legacy renderer looks perfect in 3D. Unfortunately, the legacy renderer looks like crap. If you use the new version everything gets this really bad single color ghosting. I assume it's some pass-over shader lighting effect that just doesn't get handled by the 3d conversion well at all.

On a positive note the overhead questmarkers and names are all rendered at object depth. Hopefully that lighting problem can be fixed with a little math in the game profile.
[quote name='Paperninja' date='27 January 2011 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1296112037' post='1184395']

So the legacy renderer looks perfect in 3D. Unfortunately, the legacy renderer looks like crap. If you use the new version everything gets this really bad single color ghosting. I assume it's some pass-over shader lighting effect that just doesn't get handled by the 3d conversion well at all.

On a positive note the overhead questmarkers and names are all rendered at object depth. Hopefully that lighting problem can be fixed with a little math in the game profile.

Posted 01/27/2011 07:44 AM   
[quote name='Paperninja' date='26 January 2011 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1296114241' post='1184409']

[/quote]

Also the textures on the ground, when the Rift's appear, look way off. Feels like it's at a different depth, very distracting.

Game is really fun though, lots of variety in the powers selection. Makes for many different combination sets.
Turn Particle Quantity all the way up for some flashy spell effects.
[quote name='Paperninja' date='26 January 2011 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1296114241' post='1184409']

Also the textures on the ground, when the Rift's appear, look way off. Feels like it's at a different depth, very distracting.

Game is really fun though, lots of variety in the powers selection. Makes for many different combination sets.

Turn Particle Quantity all the way up for some flashy spell effects.

Posted 01/27/2011 10:54 AM   
PLEASE make this Rift planes of Talera work very well with 3D Vision, i always support Nvidia always running with newest and most expensive Nvidia Graphic cards SLI and so on, and i bought this 3D vision only to play MMO's and this will be the best MMO for atleast the next few years trust me. if you do this Nvidia i LOVE you even more. pleeeeese :)
PLEASE make this Rift planes of Talera work very well with 3D Vision, i always support Nvidia always running with newest and most expensive Nvidia Graphic cards SLI and so on, and i bought this 3D vision only to play MMO's and this will be the best MMO for atleast the next few years trust me. if you do this Nvidia i LOVE you even more. pleeeeese :)

Posted 01/28/2011 11:00 PM   
[quote name='mirathul' date='28 January 2011 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1296255649' post='1185284']
[/quote]

Indeed; I've also left Beta feedback asking for them to get in touch with nVidia to work together at making the game perfect in 3D.

All we need is the high quality renderer, and a 3D pointer and all is good!
[quote name='mirathul' date='28 January 2011 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1296255649' post='1185284']

Indeed; I've also left Beta feedback asking for them to get in touch with nVidia to work together at making the game perfect in 3D.

All we need is the high quality renderer, and a 3D pointer and all is good!

Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz, 6GB 3 Channel, SLi GTX670 2GB, SSD

Posted 01/29/2011 01:39 AM   
They won't do anything for rift, this was the second time I asked and got this reply..

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care

This is Arun assisting you with your query

I understand from your email that you would like to know if the game Rift could be included to support the 3 D Vision kit

I am sorry for the inconvenience but as explained earlier this game has many issues with 3D Stereoscopic modes that actually cause eye strain

-2D objects that should be at depth: Speech bubbles, Hit points lost/gained, Cursor
-Shadows render incorrectly
-Lighting effects/reflections render incorrectly

The game would have to be totally redesigned. Thus NVIDIA does not recommend this game with the 3D Vision kit. Thanks for your interest

Warm Regards,
Arun S
NVIDIA Customer Care
They won't do anything for rift, this was the second time I asked and got this reply..

I understand from your email that you would like to know if the game Rift could be included to support the 3 D Vision kit

I am sorry for the inconvenience but as explained earlier this game has many issues with 3D Stereoscopic modes that actually cause eye strain

-2D objects that should be at depth: Speech bubbles, Hit points lost/gained, Cursor

The game would have to be totally redesigned. Thus NVIDIA does not recommend this game with the 3D Vision kit. Thanks for your interest

Warm Regards,

Arun S

NVIDIA Customer Care

Posted 02/02/2011 08:21 PM   
[quote name='Codebreaker' date='02 February 2011 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1296678092' post='1187936']

Warm Regards,
Arun S
NVIDIA Customer Care
[/quote]

Well we'll just have to badger the hell out of Trion then. Trine suffered from almost identical issues, and they fixed it... and Frozenbyte isn't exactly huge. "totally redesigned" seems like a bit of a stretch, from my limited knowledge it doesn't seem quite so drastic - Trion could render things properly!
[quote name='Codebreaker' date='02 February 2011 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1296678092' post='1187936']

Warm Regards,

Arun S

NVIDIA Customer Care

Well we'll just have to badger the hell out of Trion then. Trine suffered from almost identical issues, and they fixed it... and Frozenbyte isn't exactly huge. "totally redesigned" seems like a bit of a stretch, from my limited knowledge it doesn't seem quite so drastic - Trion could render things properly!

Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz, 6GB 3 Channel, SLi GTX670 2GB, SSD

Posted 02/03/2011 07:02 PM   
I agree total redesign is a bit extreme, but it likely isn't easy.
I worked on project, where nVidia visited us months before ship, and we didn't fix the shadows, because it would have impacted shadow quality for everyone and revisiting the algorythm just wasn't practical at that point in development.
Revisiting rendering code can have the unfortunate impact of having to revisit assets and that can get expensive.

It's not really a question of properly or not properly, it's a question of compatability with nVidia's auto 3D code.

Hopefully the dev can make the fixes, I think you have a better shot with smaller devs.
I agree total redesign is a bit extreme, but it likely isn't easy.

I worked on project, where nVidia visited us months before ship, and we didn't fix the shadows, because it would have impacted shadow quality for everyone and revisiting the algorythm just wasn't practical at that point in development.

Revisiting rendering code can have the unfortunate impact of having to revisit assets and that can get expensive.

It's not really a question of properly or not properly, it's a question of compatability with nVidia's auto 3D code.

Hopefully the dev can make the fixes, I think you have a better shot with smaller devs.
Posted 02/03/2011 07:34 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top