Modding by Righthooks "Eye of the Storm"
  1 / 3    
[i]Hello, and welcome to a "Hook's Modding Tutorial."

Throughout the course of this post you will find the steps I use in case window modification, that add an "Eye of the Storm" window to any steel panel case door. If you follow these methods, and use the indicated materials, you too, can add a more visual pleasing case panel to accentuate your components.[/i]

[b]Materials required: [/b]

1) Jigsaw : Preferably, 6.0 Amp Motor with adjustable cutting ability (I use a "Skil Orbital 6.0 Laser")

2) Acrylic Sheet : I use Delvie's Plastics Crystal Clear Cast 1/8" Thick 24/24" On My Builds

3) Carpenter's Square : Capable of accurately measuring your dimensions prior to incision

4) Masking Tape : I use light green for mocking accuracy, and readability

5) Scotch 410 Dual Sided Tape (4lbs. Hold)

6) Tape Measure : Required for dimensions of Acrylic-to-Panel dimensions.

7) A "deburring," or filing bit used for metallic malleable materials that can be used on a drill

8) Power drill (Make/Model is irrelevant)

9) A Circular Dremel With Metal Cutting Blade : This is used for the initial incision into the panel before operating the jigsaw

10)A Pencil

11) Appliance paint touch up pen (only necessary for correcting minor scratches if they appear during cutting)

12) Fine metal cutting blade for the Jigsaw : I use the "Bosch T118 A" blade

13) Edge-Molding : I recommend "Performance-PCS" version adequate for your panels thickness.

14) A scoring blade : Used for Acrylic/Plexiglas cutting

15) MOST IMPORTANT! Tool Familiarity & Patience

[b]Step 1: Preparation of Case Panel & Tools[/b]

[i]Prior to performing any modifications, you should always have your tools required to start, and finish the job, although it may take several hours, or even days to complete.

Before performing the first steps required for this modification you need to prep your case panel for the job. This means have it cleaned, dissembled, and properly planned before you begin. I suggested never using a form of soap on a metal surface. Tepid water, and a paper towel is ideal for removing smudges on metallic surfaces. [/i]

[b]Disassembly (only required where applicable)[/b]

I will be using a stock "Antec 1200" full tower case panel in this tutorial.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step1.jpg[/img]

1) Remove stock panel acrylic fixtures, and mounting bracket hardware from the panel .

2) Keep all removed components in an area where they may be later retrieved (only required if you wish to have the parts intact for the future).

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step2.jpg[/img]
Hello, and welcome to a "Hook's Modding Tutorial."

Throughout the course of this post you will find the steps I use in case window modification, that add an "Eye of the Storm" window to any steel panel case door. If you follow these methods, and use the indicated materials, you too, can add a more visual pleasing case panel to accentuate your components.

Materials required:

1) Jigsaw : Preferably, 6.0 Amp Motor with adjustable cutting ability (I use a "Skil Orbital 6.0 Laser")

2) Acrylic Sheet : I use Delvie's Plastics Crystal Clear Cast 1/8" Thick 24/24" On My Builds

3) Carpenter's Square : Capable of accurately measuring your dimensions prior to incision

4) Masking Tape : I use light green for mocking accuracy, and readability

5) Scotch 410 Dual Sided Tape (4lbs. Hold)

6) Tape Measure : Required for dimensions of Acrylic-to-Panel dimensions.

7) A "deburring," or filing bit used for metallic malleable materials that can be used on a drill

8) Power drill (Make/Model is irrelevant)

9) A Circular Dremel With Metal Cutting Blade : This is used for the initial incision into the panel before operating the jigsaw

10)A Pencil

11) Appliance paint touch up pen (only necessary for correcting minor scratches if they appear during cutting)

12) Fine metal cutting blade for the Jigsaw : I use the "Bosch T118 A" blade

13) Edge-Molding : I recommend "Performance-PCS" version adequate for your panels thickness.

14) A scoring blade : Used for Acrylic/Plexiglas cutting

15) MOST IMPORTANT! Tool Familiarity & Patience

Step 1: Preparation of Case Panel & Tools

Prior to performing any modifications, you should always have your tools required to start, and finish the job, although it may take several hours, or even days to complete.

Before performing the first steps required for this modification you need to prep your case panel for the job. This means have it cleaned, dissembled, and properly planned before you begin. I suggested never using a form of soap on a metal surface. Tepid water, and a paper towel is ideal for removing smudges on metallic surfaces.

Disassembly (only required where applicable)

I will be using a stock "Antec 1200" full tower case panel in this tutorial.

1) Remove stock panel acrylic fixtures, and mounting bracket hardware from the panel .

2) Keep all removed components in an area where they may be later retrieved (only required if you wish to have the parts intact for the future).

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 01/21/2011 06:53 PM   
[b]Step 2 : The "Mocking" Process and Preparation[/b]

[i]During this segment of the tutorial, you will need to measure the outer case panel dimensions, and inner "existing" dimensions in order to clear preexisting mounting points, and give yourself adequate space for the connecting slots to your tower, as cutting too far on the outside of the panel will ruin your chances of mounting the panel to the case. [/i]

1) Use a tape measure or ruler to measure where the existing window mounting area is present (this is only required on cases with existing windows) . In this case I moved 1/8" outward from the area so that I would not be cutting into the seam in the frame, and thus expanding the viewable area.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step4.jpg[/img]

2) Mask the panel completely, making sure you cover the entire face with masking tape in order to both protect, and give you ample area for measurement.

3) Make your measurements based-off the area you wish to remove, and make sure you begin outside of the point clearing the existing frame appropriately. IMPORTANT: Edge-Molding does not adhere to 90 degree angles, in which case, a circular object is required for the corners (I used a beer bottle for this tutorial). Use your carpenter's square, and your pencil to make your marks accurately, and in accordance with the area you wish to have viewable on your panel.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step5.jpg[/img]
Step 2 : The "Mocking" Process and Preparation

During this segment of the tutorial, you will need to measure the outer case panel dimensions, and inner "existing" dimensions in order to clear preexisting mounting points, and give yourself adequate space for the connecting slots to your tower, as cutting too far on the outside of the panel will ruin your chances of mounting the panel to the case.

1) Use a tape measure or ruler to measure where the existing window mounting area is present (this is only required on cases with existing windows) . In this case I moved 1/8" outward from the area so that I would not be cutting into the seam in the frame, and thus expanding the viewable area.

2) Mask the panel completely, making sure you cover the entire face with masking tape in order to both protect, and give you ample area for measurement.

3) Make your measurements based-off the area you wish to remove, and make sure you begin outside of the point clearing the existing frame appropriately. IMPORTANT: Edge-Molding does not adhere to 90 degree angles, in which case, a circular object is required for the corners (I used a beer bottle for this tutorial). Use your carpenter's square, and your pencil to make your marks accurately, and in accordance with the area you wish to have viewable on your panel.

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 01/21/2011 06:55 PM   
[b]Step 3 : Panel Cutting Process[/b]

[i]In this segment you will be cutting your measured area from the panel. This is the most important step of the process, as this will make, or break your modification. So please exercise both caution, and patience, making sure to follow the steps closely, and carefully.
Before beginning, make sure your panel is placed on an area that the panel will not bend, and is tightly secured for cutting. I recommend using an adjustable work table with corner clamps, so that the panel does not move during the cutting process. This also allows you to move freely, and make your cuts without recalibrating the panel's position at the workstation. [/i]

1) Using your Dremel, make your initial incision at the largest length within your area of measurement (normally vertical). It should be about an inch in length to give you adequate mobility when placing your Jigsaw in the opened slot .

2) Carefully place your Jigsaw blade into the opening made by the Dremel.

3) Allow your Jigsaw to reach maximum RPMs prior to moving the blade forward, and proceeding with the cutting process.

4) Carefully move your jigsaw at a steady pace throughout your first measurement line. IMPORTANT : keep in mind your distance to the first curve you are approaching, as a different method is required for accuracy.

5) Once you have reached the first corner, move your Jigsaw in a slow back-and-fourth motion along the line. IMPORTANT : Do not allow the blade itself to flex or follow an irregular path. In order to proceed through the corner you will need to recalibrate your angle near every 1/8" you cut. Position your body into the corner, as if you were following the corner by foot. This helps with both trajectory, and accuracy.

[b]FINAL NOTE:[/b] [i]Repeat steps 3-5 in order to remove the measured area from your panel. Remember, it is not a race, and you should exercise patience, and careful planning on your approach to each dimension.[/i]

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step8.jpg[/img]
Step 3 : Panel Cutting Process

In this segment you will be cutting your measured area from the panel. This is the most important step of the process, as this will make, or break your modification. So please exercise both caution, and patience, making sure to follow the steps closely, and carefully.

Before beginning, make sure your panel is placed on an area that the panel will not bend, and is tightly secured for cutting. I recommend using an adjustable work table with corner clamps, so that the panel does not move during the cutting process. This also allows you to move freely, and make your cuts without recalibrating the panel's position at the workstation.

1) Using your Dremel, make your initial incision at the largest length within your area of measurement (normally vertical). It should be about an inch in length to give you adequate mobility when placing your Jigsaw in the opened slot .

2) Carefully place your Jigsaw blade into the opening made by the Dremel.

3) Allow your Jigsaw to reach maximum RPMs prior to moving the blade forward, and proceeding with the cutting process.

4) Carefully move your jigsaw at a steady pace throughout your first measurement line. IMPORTANT : keep in mind your distance to the first curve you are approaching, as a different method is required for accuracy.

5) Once you have reached the first corner, move your Jigsaw in a slow back-and-fourth motion along the line. IMPORTANT : Do not allow the blade itself to flex or follow an irregular path. In order to proceed through the corner you will need to recalibrate your angle near every 1/8" you cut. Position your body into the corner, as if you were following the corner by foot. This helps with both trajectory, and accuracy.

FINAL NOTE: Repeat steps 3-5 in order to remove the measured area from your panel. Remember, it is not a race, and you should exercise patience, and careful planning on your approach to each dimension.

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 01/21/2011 06:57 PM   
[b]Step 4: Clean-Up & Molding Preparation[/b]

[i]Once you have successfully removed the measured area for your window, you will now need to use your "deburring," or filing bit to smooth the edge surrounding the perimeter of the cutting area. [/i]

1) With your bit attached to your drill reach maximum RPMs and allow your bit to make contact at an angle opposite of the panels face. I find it is easier to place the panel face-down allowing the bit to work opposite the initial cutting path. IMPORTANT : When doing this you should keep your arms stiff, and DO NOT allow the bit to snag or pull in the direction of rotation. If you have a variable drill, set to maximum bore in the reverse cycle for best results.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/Step9.jpg[/img]

2) Remove all of the masking tape that was applied as the protective cover for the case panel.

3) If by chance you made scratches from the pressure plate on the jig saw, or the drill got away from you. I suggest taking the appliance paint pen mentioned on the materials page, and gently touch up the tarnished areas. IMPORTANT : I would not directly use the pen on the panel due to blending issues with certain mattes, and glosses. Instead, paint the corner of a business card with a thick layer from the pen, and gently apply the paint to the panel from the card. This will aid in proper blending and ensure a smooth finish.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01670.jpg[/img]
Step 4: Clean-Up & Molding Preparation

Once you have successfully removed the measured area for your window, you will now need to use your "deburring," or filing bit to smooth the edge surrounding the perimeter of the cutting area.

1) With your bit attached to your drill reach maximum RPMs and allow your bit to make contact at an angle opposite of the panels face. I find it is easier to place the panel face-down allowing the bit to work opposite the initial cutting path. IMPORTANT : When doing this you should keep your arms stiff, and DO NOT allow the bit to snag or pull in the direction of rotation. If you have a variable drill, set to maximum bore in the reverse cycle for best results.

2) Remove all of the masking tape that was applied as the protective cover for the case panel.

3) If by chance you made scratches from the pressure plate on the jig saw, or the drill got away from you. I suggest taking the appliance paint pen mentioned on the materials page, and gently touch up the tarnished areas. IMPORTANT : I would not directly use the pen on the panel due to blending issues with certain mattes, and glosses. Instead, paint the corner of a business card with a thick layer from the pen, and gently apply the paint to the panel from the card. This will aid in proper blending and ensure a smooth finish.

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 01/21/2011 06:59 PM   
[b]Step 5 : Edge Molding & Acrylic Preparation[/b]

[i]Now that you have your window cut, you must protect the integrity of the acrylic, and give your case panel a clean professional look. [/i]

1) Prepare your edge molding by measuring the open area and planning the length accordingly. This does not need to be 100% accurate, but, it is always wise to go over on length, rather than under.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01669.jpg[/img]

2) Apply the edge molding to the smoothed area to the interior of the panel's opening. Use equal pressure throughout the process, making sure not to over-stretch, or leave any slack in the molding around the edges or corners.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01671.jpg[/img]

3) Prepare your acrylic by measuring the area required to effectively cover the panel's opening. IMPORTANT : As before, when making your marks on the acrylic, be sure not to over extend the areas provided for attachment to the case itself.

4) This part is for those who have experience in this area, or just want to test, or acquire, a new skill. Once the measurement is complete you will need to use your plastic scoring blade along the measured area. IMPORTANT: You should replicate your measurements carefully on both sides of the acrylic, and cut on both sides, before attempting to extract the cut piece. Once the piece is cut evenly, apply equal bending pressure back-and-fourth until the piece is removed.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01680.jpg[/img]

[b]Final Note :[/b] [i]Congratulations, you are almost there! If you followed the steps as specified, and are worth a damn with tools, the last and easiest step will leave your panel looking professionally sexy. [/i]
Step 5 : Edge Molding & Acrylic Preparation

Now that you have your window cut, you must protect the integrity of the acrylic, and give your case panel a clean professional look.

1) Prepare your edge molding by measuring the open area and planning the length accordingly. This does not need to be 100% accurate, but, it is always wise to go over on length, rather than under.

2) Apply the edge molding to the smoothed area to the interior of the panel's opening. Use equal pressure throughout the process, making sure not to over-stretch, or leave any slack in the molding around the edges or corners.

3) Prepare your acrylic by measuring the area required to effectively cover the panel's opening. IMPORTANT : As before, when making your marks on the acrylic, be sure not to over extend the areas provided for attachment to the case itself.

4) This part is for those who have experience in this area, or just want to test, or acquire, a new skill. Once the measurement is complete you will need to use your plastic scoring blade along the measured area. IMPORTANT: You should replicate your measurements carefully on both sides of the acrylic, and cut on both sides, before attempting to extract the cut piece. Once the piece is cut evenly, apply equal bending pressure back-and-fourth until the piece is removed.

Final Note : Congratulations, you are almost there! If you followed the steps as specified, and are worth a damn with tools, the last and easiest step will leave your panel looking professionally sexy.

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 01/21/2011 07:02 PM   
[b]Step 6 : Acrylic Mounting & Finishing Touches[/b]

[i]Holy smokes, you did it man! You are ready for the last step in completing your own "Eye of the Storm" window mod. You will be showing off your inner demons in notime!

This last step, however simple it may seem, can be goofed quite easily, and send you back to the hardware store with your tail between your legs. So let us do it right, and finish this bad boy off. [/i]

1) With the inside of your panel facing you, take your Scotch 4010 tape, and apply it along the edge-molding's exterior perimeter. I suggest evenly calibrated lengths so that the weight is countered on each side accordingly. Do not worry about covering the entire span of the acrylic area, as this tape could hold the window with less than 4 inches of tape on each side, however, I always aim to do just that.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01683.jpg[/img]

2) Once the tape is applied, double check for bumps or abnormal areas along the edge-molding. Once you are satisfied with the tapes flatness, you may remove the red backing in preparation for mounting the window.

3) Remove the protective paper on both sides of your "shaped" acrylic piece. Once this is completed, you need to evenly distribute your acrylic window on-top of your Scotch 4010 tape applying pressure to the perimeter, only after it is in place.

[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01681.jpg[/img]

[b]Final Note:[/b] [i]Thank you, and I hope you enjoy your new "Eye of the Storm" window. Please leave feedback on this post, and I hope it sticks around for veteran, and new modders alike, so that they may enjoy adding new flavor to their favorite build. More modding tips possibly on the way, if the feedback is positive enough to merit it, and fits the moderator's parameters.[/i]

[b]Final Product[/b]
[img]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a465/RighthooksGURU/PC%20Related/DSC01685.jpg[/img]
-Captain Hooks, signing off...
Step 6 : Acrylic Mounting & Finishing Touches

Holy smokes, you did it man! You are ready for the last step in completing your own "Eye of the Storm" window mod. You will be showing off your inner demons in notime!

This last step, however simple it may seem, can be goofed quite easily, and send you back to the hardware store with your tail between your legs. So let us do it right, and finish this bad boy off.

1) With the inside of your panel facing you, take your Scotch 4010 tape, and apply it along the edge-molding's exterior perimeter. I suggest evenly calibrated lengths so that the weight is countered on each side accordingly. Do not worry about covering the entire span of the acrylic area, as this tape could hold the window with less than 4 inches of tape on each side, however, I always aim to do just that.

2) Once the tape is applied, double check for bumps or abnormal areas along the edge-molding. Once you are satisfied with the tapes flatness, you may remove the red backing in preparation for mounting the window.

3) Remove the protective paper on both sides of your "shaped" acrylic piece. Once this is completed, you need to evenly distribute your acrylic window on-top of your Scotch 4010 tape applying pressure to the perimeter, only after it is in place.

Final Note: Thank you, and I hope you enjoy your new "Eye of the Storm" window. Please leave feedback on this post, and I hope it sticks around for veteran, and new modders alike, so that they may enjoy adding new flavor to their favorite build. More modding tips possibly on the way, if the feedback is positive enough to merit it, and fits the moderator's parameters.

Final Product

-Captain Hooks, signing off...

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 01/21/2011 07:04 PM   
Nice tutorial Hooks, although I have moved on from the whole side window thing but still go good read on how to do it yourself :p.
Nice tutorial Hooks, although I have moved on from the whole side window thing but still go good read on how to do it yourself :p.

Posted 01/21/2011 07:07 PM   
Hooks in da house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work there on this tutorial. I would like your permission to use it elsewhere if you have no objections.

Keep up the good work Hooks.

EG
Hooks in da house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work there on this tutorial. I would like your permission to use it elsewhere if you have no objections.

Keep up the good work Hooks.

EG

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 01/21/2011 07:23 PM   
Nicely done 'Captain' Hooks :)

Both the finished article and the straight foreward instructions - Top Notch.
Nicely done 'Captain' Hooks :)

Both the finished article and the straight foreward instructions - Top Notch.

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/21/2011 07:32 PM   
Very nice read hooks! I think along with my next build (still months/years away) I will be using a new case and maybe modding it as well. It's good to know that we have an in-house reference such as your self that can help all of us with this type of thing. Keep up the good work buddy!
Very nice read hooks! I think along with my next build (still months/years away) I will be using a new case and maybe modding it as well. It's good to know that we have an in-house reference such as your self that can help all of us with this type of thing. Keep up the good work buddy!

Posted 01/21/2011 08:23 PM   
Nice tutorial Hooks.
Nice tutorial Hooks.

Posted 01/21/2011 08:39 PM   
First class captain /salute /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Someone tell Godddess to read this, yes you CAN make a window for your case just follow this guide, if you can push an iron in a straight line, you can do the same with a jigsaw /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />
First class captain /salute /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Someone tell Godddess to read this, yes you CAN make a window for your case just follow this guide, if you can push an iron in a straight line, you can do the same with a jigsaw /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel i7 980X @4.6 ghz 24/7 1.39v, 6 GB Dom GT CL7, Tri channel, EK'd Asus GTX 680 Sli , Displays : 3 X Hanns-G HG281D 2D Surround, Case, Xigmatek Elysium, Corsair AX 1200W, Win 7 64, 2 x Crucial C300 128gb 6gb/s SSDs Raid 0, 2 x 300 gig WD velociraptors Raid 0, 64 GB Crucial M4 non raid boot drive 6 g/bs, Asus Xonar DX2 Sound, Roccat Kave 5:1 Headset, Track IR Pro, Noctua and TFC Triebwewrk fans controled by Lamptron FC6 black and Zalman ZM-FC1Plus black, Roccat Isku K/B, Steelseries Sensei mouse, Logitech G27 wheel, Custom water cooling, EK FB RE3 full board block , Black Ice GTX 480 Extreme Quad, Black Ice GTX Extreme 360, both rads running TFC Triebwerk mid speeds, Dual loop 3 D5 pumps.

Posted 01/21/2011 11:49 PM   
Lol

Me thinks you are inline for retribution for that... and I don't mean a nicely ironed shirt /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Lol

Me thinks you are inline for retribution for that... and I don't mean a nicely ironed shirt /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/22/2011 01:48 AM   
Very spiffy. I tried doing this once with a mod-kit on a Compaq Case back when I first got in to customizing of systems... not as easy as it looks! lol
Very spiffy. I tried doing this once with a mod-kit on a Compaq Case back when I first got in to customizing of systems... not as easy as it looks! lol

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/22/2011 07:54 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top