Flickering in Browser Full Screen Video (Youtube, Hulu, etc)
Hi,

I am getting flickering in full screen (every few seconds the screen goes black for a split second) when I watch videos in the browser. With driver version 258.96, I was able to change a setting in the nvidia control panel "adjust desktop color settings", from Auto to Full Screen Video (it's the last setting in the color section, a pull down menu). This was a fix I found in the forums.

With the latest drivers (266.58) I get the same flicker, however, the solution does not work. When I change the setting to full screen video, my whole screen turns a strange color tint, kind of greenish. Everything looks screwed up. I can't reverse the color screw up even by changing back to the previous settings. This seems to be a bug since the 260 driver versions.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

I have a zotac ionitx motherboard, with windows 7 home premium. The issue occurs in both IE8 and the latest Firefox.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi,

I am getting flickering in full screen (every few seconds the screen goes black for a split second) when I watch videos in the browser. With driver version 258.96, I was able to change a setting in the nvidia control panel "adjust desktop color settings", from Auto to Full Screen Video (it's the last setting in the color section, a pull down menu). This was a fix I found in the forums.

With the latest drivers (266.58) I get the same flicker, however, the solution does not work. When I change the setting to full screen video, my whole screen turns a strange color tint, kind of greenish. Everything looks screwed up. I can't reverse the color screw up even by changing back to the previous settings. This seems to be a bug since the 260 driver versions.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

I have a zotac ionitx motherboard, with windows 7 home premium. The issue occurs in both IE8 and the latest Firefox.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted 01/19/2011 02:28 PM   
If the 258.96 drivers worked well for you with the fix, I'd recommend uninstalling the 266.58s and reverting.

There's a motto most of the senior members will tell ya when it comes to drivers. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". If you have drivers that work, don't update unless you have a good reason to (i.e. game support or what not). I would recommend reporting this issue in the 266.58 Feedback thread if you haven't already so that ManuelG can have the Driver Team work on it so that it's fixed in the next release (hopefully).
If the 258.96 drivers worked well for you with the fix, I'd recommend uninstalling the 266.58s and reverting.

There's a motto most of the senior members will tell ya when it comes to drivers. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". If you have drivers that work, don't update unless you have a good reason to (i.e. game support or what not). I would recommend reporting this issue in the 266.58 Feedback thread if you haven't already so that ManuelG can have the Driver Team work on it so that it's fixed in the next release (hopefully).

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/19/2011 03:48 PM   
I occassionally get blue screens while playing videos with the 258 driver, so unfortunately I can't exactly say it "aint broke". I'm not 100% sure that the blue screen issue is the video driver, but it's defintely a possibility. I don't have many peripherals/drivers; this is a HTPC.

The flickering issues without a workaround has been an issue since the 260 series drivers. I'm surprised no one else has reported this - I have a pretty bare bones zotac ION Windows 7 system.

Regradless, if no one from Nvidia can respond to this post directly then I'll post in the feedback thread.
I occassionally get blue screens while playing videos with the 258 driver, so unfortunately I can't exactly say it "aint broke". I'm not 100% sure that the blue screen issue is the video driver, but it's defintely a possibility. I don't have many peripherals/drivers; this is a HTPC.

The flickering issues without a workaround has been an issue since the 260 series drivers. I'm surprised no one else has reported this - I have a pretty bare bones zotac ION Windows 7 system.

Regradless, if no one from Nvidia can respond to this post directly then I'll post in the feedback thread.

Posted 01/19/2011 06:18 PM   
I can't guarantee anything, but these two suggestions are what helped me alleviate issues I was having with streaming video.

1) Since hardware-accelerated scaling in Adobe Flash Player relies on Microsoft DirectX 9, install/update the DirectX 9 components within Windows 7.[b]

[/b]From Microsoft's website:[b] [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3"]DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer[/url]

[/b]2) If that doesn't help, disable hardware acceleration in Flash Player. Right click within a video, select "Settings", and uncheck the box labeled "Enable hardware acceleration".

By the way, the 266.58 drivers are working great for me.
I can't guarantee anything, but these two suggestions are what helped me alleviate issues I was having with streaming video.

1) Since hardware-accelerated scaling in Adobe Flash Player relies on Microsoft DirectX 9, install/update the DirectX 9 components within Windows 7.

From Microsoft's website: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

2) If that doesn't help, disable hardware acceleration in Flash Player. Right click within a video, select "Settings", and uncheck the box labeled "Enable hardware acceleration".

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz * EVGA X58 3X SLI * 3x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) * EVGA GTX 780 Classified (337.50) * Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB + WD 1 TB * Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) * Chieftec 1000W * Cooler Master HAF 932 * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * Realtek On-board Audio / Yamaha RX-V467 / Infinity 5.1 * Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV & ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD * Logitech G15 * CM Storm Sentinel Advance

Posted 01/20/2011 04:14 AM   
[quote name='B-Con' date='19 January 2011 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1295496853' post='1180255']

1) Since hardware-accelerated scaling in Adobe Flash Player relies on Microsoft DirectX 9, install/update the DirectX 9 components within Windows 7.[b]

[/b]From Microsoft's website:[b] [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3"]DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer[/url]

[/b]2) If that doesn't help, disable hardware acceleration in Flash Player. Right click within a video, select "Settings", and uncheck the box labeled "Enable hardware acceleration".

[/quote]

Hi, I'll try that. My understanding is that Win7 ships with directx 11 preinstalled. I thought they would be backward compatible but maybe the flash player has an issue with dx11?
So youre using the 266.58 drivers, through HDMI and don't have issues with full screen video playing in the browser?
[quote name='B-Con' date='19 January 2011 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1295496853' post='1180255']

1) Since hardware-accelerated scaling in Adobe Flash Player relies on Microsoft DirectX 9, install/update the DirectX 9 components within Windows 7.

From Microsoft's website: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

2) If that doesn't help, disable hardware acceleration in Flash Player. Right click within a video, select "Settings", and uncheck the box labeled "Enable hardware acceleration".

Hi, I'll try that. My understanding is that Win7 ships with directx 11 preinstalled. I thought they would be backward compatible but maybe the flash player has an issue with dx11?

So youre using the 266.58 drivers, through HDMI and don't have issues with full screen video playing in the browser?

Posted 01/20/2011 06:19 PM   
[quote name='duojet' date='20 January 2011 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1295547580' post='1180592']
[/quote]

Most programs seem to be backwards compatible. I have read, though, where some older games won't run in Windows 7 without the installation of DirectX 9.

I'm using the newly released 266.58 WHQL drivers (completely clean installation). My computer is connected to my LCD TV via a 25 ft HDMI cable.

And, as a matter of fact, I just finished watching a 1080p HD video in full screen, on YouTube, with hardware acceleration enabled, and in Firefox. It ran perfectly smooth.

By the way, the video was of some guys base jumping off a cliff. Man, what a rush. I've got to do that before I die. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

As far as the new drivers are concerned, I've read where many, many people are having issues with them. Most have returned to the 260.99 version, which seem to be running perfectly for most everyone.
[quote name='duojet' date='20 January 2011 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1295547580' post='1180592']

Most programs seem to be backwards compatible. I have read, though, where some older games won't run in Windows 7 without the installation of DirectX 9.

I'm using the newly released 266.58 WHQL drivers (completely clean installation). My computer is connected to my LCD TV via a 25 ft HDMI cable.

And, as a matter of fact, I just finished watching a 1080p HD video in full screen, on YouTube, with hardware acceleration enabled, and in Firefox. It ran perfectly smooth.

By the way, the video was of some guys base jumping off a cliff. Man, what a rush. I've got to do that before I die. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

As far as the new drivers are concerned, I've read where many, many people are having issues with them. Most have returned to the 260.99 version, which seem to be running perfectly for most everyone.

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz * EVGA X58 3X SLI * 3x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) * EVGA GTX 780 Classified (337.50) * Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB + WD 1 TB * Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) * Chieftec 1000W * Cooler Master HAF 932 * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * Realtek On-board Audio / Yamaha RX-V467 / Infinity 5.1 * Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV & ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD * Logitech G15 * CM Storm Sentinel Advance

Posted 01/20/2011 06:47 PM   
Scroll To Top