Counter Strike 1.6 low frame rate Requesting your in-game fps with your hardware specs
Hello guys, i have a problem with counter strike 1.6 fps and smoke fps

My current specs are:
Quad core intel q6600
Corsair 2GB 800mhz
Gainward Nvidia gtx 460 768mb
Windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Using latest versions of nvidia drivers with vsync off and texture filtering high quality all antialiasing and anistropic are forced to off.
I am playing on a nec multisync 90gx2 at 1280x1024 @75hz.
In-game settings -freq 75, fps_max 100

The problem is that when i set my net_graph 2 and net_graphwidth at 550 i see that my fps doesnt go over 75 fps, averages - 60-70fps not stable.
When i have net_graph 1 or 3 my fps is stable at 99-100 only sometimes i have fps drop in smoke, but most of time i have 100 fps in smoke but when i walk in it feels like i'm running at 20frames lol and my monitor tends to have a high input lag. I never had drops with my old vga card in smoke even if there was more than 3or4 at the same time - gainward 8600gts which runned at 725cpu core and 2200mhz memory stock.

Also i am interested if someone has a lcd monitor at 120hz something like samsung 2233rz or Acer GD235 and test those settings net_graph 2 with net_graphwidth set at 1000 if their fps drops below 100. I am starting to think that there is a connection in display hz, input lag that affects my performance very badly.

I was thinking to make a switch to intel sandy bridge but i think that i am forced to get a low input lag lcd for gaming.
Waiting for your opinions.

My current specs are:

Quad core intel q6600

Corsair 2GB 800mhz

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Using latest versions of nvidia drivers with vsync off and texture filtering high quality all antialiasing and anistropic are forced to off.

The problem is that when i set my net_graph 2 and net_graphwidth at 550 i see that my fps doesnt go over 75 fps, averages - 60-70fps not stable.

When i have net_graph 1 or 3 my fps is stable at 99-100 only sometimes i have fps drop in smoke, but most of time i have 100 fps in smoke but when i walk in it feels like i'm running at 20frames lol and my monitor tends to have a high input lag. I never had drops with my old vga card in smoke even if there was more than 3or4 at the same time - gainward 8600gts which runned at 725cpu core and 2200mhz memory stock.

Also i am interested if someone has a lcd monitor at 120hz something like samsung 2233rz or Acer GD235 and test those settings net_graph 2 with net_graphwidth set at 1000 if their fps drops below 100. I am starting to think that there is a connection in display hz, input lag that affects my performance very badly.

I was thinking to make a switch to intel sandy bridge but i think that i am forced to get a low input lag lcd for gaming.

Posted 01/08/2011 10:59 PM   
Eh, what i can tell is you did change everything so that you should be able to play with 100FPS.. did you tryed opening Task manager while ingame and then select HL.exe and switch it to HIGH prior? see if that can help.
Eh, what i can tell is you did change everything so that you should be able to play with 100FPS.. did you tryed opening Task manager while ingame and then select HL.exe and switch it to HIGH prior? see if that can help.

Posted 01/11/2011 03:41 PM   
I have exacly same issue on FW 261.01, GTX 460 1024MB, Intel Core 2 duo e8400.

In Counter-Strike 1.6 I have constant 60fps (thats my monitor refresh rate, vsync on, so I use fps_max 60). I play on OpenGL (didn't try directx). When I see new smoke grenade on screen than for about 1 second fps drops to 30, and then backs to constant 60 fps. I can put many more smokes and it will stay at 60 fps, but first smoke on screen alway drops my fps to 30 for 1 second.

I think it's because of card's dynamic performance change. Game isn't very GPU demanding so card runs at lower performance. When smoke comes out, card jumps to higher performance and stays on it for a while. Maybe this jump causes a slight lag in fps. That's the only logical explanation.

On the other hand, Counter-Strike Source runs flawless without single fps drop (constant 60 fps).

In Counter-Strike 1.6 I have constant 60fps (thats my monitor refresh rate, vsync on, so I use fps_max 60). I play on OpenGL (didn't try directx). When I see new smoke grenade on screen than for about 1 second fps drops to 30, and then backs to constant 60 fps. I can put many more smokes and it will stay at 60 fps, but first smoke on screen alway drops my fps to 30 for 1 second.

I think it's because of card's dynamic performance change. Game isn't very GPU demanding so card runs at lower performance. When smoke comes out, card jumps to higher performance and stays on it for a while. Maybe this jump causes a slight lag in fps. That's the only logical explanation.

On the other hand, Counter-Strike Source runs flawless without single fps drop (constant 60 fps).

Posted 01/12/2011 08:55 AM   
[quote name='mind' date='12 January 2011 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1294822504' post='1175692']

[/quote]

well i have same probs @ CoD Black ops, first minutes on a map, i see an enemy shooting and there goes the HUGE fps drop.. back up to normal fps.. nice i got killed cuz of that /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
just having this alot until the map is completly loaded to the GPU? or how do i need to understand this?
[quote name='mind' date='12 January 2011 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1294822504' post='1175692']

well i have same probs @ CoD Black ops, first minutes on a map, i see an enemy shooting and there goes the HUGE fps drop.. back up to normal fps.. nice i got killed cuz of that /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

just having this alot until the map is completly loaded to the GPU? or how do i need to understand this?

Posted 01/12/2011 12:58 PM   
Try turning off any reference to VSync (including that freq 75 thing on the startup line), and set your FPS cap to 150. You might see your GPU temps go up a tad, but it should help.

One of the things y'all have to understand is, at a small monitor resolution, the performance of your GPU is extremely dependent on the speed of your CPU, because at lower resolutions, the GPU works so fast that it's literally having to wait for commands. If you were gaming at a more modern resolution, like 1920x1080p, the load would squarely be on the GPU and you'd likely experience less "spikes" in frame rate.

I would do a demonstration, but I don't own the game to show you what I mean. That's only part of the problem though, I think the main issue is you are, in effect, with all these funky settings, causing VSync to be on even though it's "Off" in NVCP.
Try turning off any reference to VSync (including that freq 75 thing on the startup line), and set your FPS cap to 150. You might see your GPU temps go up a tad, but it should help.

One of the things y'all have to understand is, at a small monitor resolution, the performance of your GPU is extremely dependent on the speed of your CPU, because at lower resolutions, the GPU works so fast that it's literally having to wait for commands. If you were gaming at a more modern resolution, like 1920x1080p, the load would squarely be on the GPU and you'd likely experience less "spikes" in frame rate.

I would do a demonstration, but I don't own the game to show you what I mean. That's only part of the problem though, I think the main issue is you are, in effect, with all these funky settings, causing VSync to be on even though it's "Off" in NVCP.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/12/2011 03:54 PM   
I found easy workaround. Like I suspected it's because of dynamic performance change!
Go to nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings.
If you want to change it only for counter-strike 1.6 then go to "Program settings" tab (otherwise do it on general tab but keeping card at highest settings is not needed all the time).
Here find "Half-Life" from customize program list (if it's not there add it - hl.exe).
Scroll down to "Power management mode" and change it from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance".
Now when hl.exe (cs1.6) is running and active (displayed on screen), card will stay on the highest GPU/memory clock settings.

No fps drop since then :)
I found easy workaround. Like I suspected it's because of dynamic performance change!

Go to nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings.

If you want to change it only for counter-strike 1.6 then go to "Program settings" tab (otherwise do it on general tab but keeping card at highest settings is not needed all the time).

Here find "Half-Life" from customize program list (if it's not there add it - hl.exe).

Scroll down to "Power management mode" and change it from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance".

Now when hl.exe (cs1.6) is running and active (displayed on screen), card will stay on the highest GPU/memory clock settings.

No fps drop since then :)

Posted 01/12/2011 05:43 PM   
I'm shocked people have fps drops in CS 1.6, actually =)

I guess your problem was that with 100 fps you videocard was really in energy-saving mode, as even a 10-year old PC can give you 100 fps in CS. And you have a GTX 460.

Play on dedicated servers with huge fps limit, and set your fps to 400 or 500... =) Dont ask why u need 500 fps in CS 1.6. It's very important for CS.
I'm shocked people have fps drops in CS 1.6, actually =)

I guess your problem was that with 100 fps you videocard was really in energy-saving mode, as even a 10-year old PC can give you 100 fps in CS. And you have a GTX 460.

Play on dedicated servers with huge fps limit, and set your fps to 400 or 500... =) Dont ask why u need 500 fps in CS 1.6. It's very important for CS.

Posted 01/13/2011 07:49 AM   
[quote name='mind' date='12 January 2011 - 03:55 AM' timestamp='1294822504' post='1175692']

[/quote]

Exactly the same problem here. First smoke grenade to go off gives me a huge FPS spike. With Counter-Strike Source I dont get this problem. I play with VSync off too.

I tried doing your fix but I don't see power management settings in my nvidia control panel.

Specs:

Q9650 (stock speed)
4GB DDR2-800
GTX 550Ti
295.73 WHQL forceware
WinXp 32bit
[quote name='mind' date='12 January 2011 - 03:55 AM' timestamp='1294822504' post='1175692']

Exactly the same problem here. First smoke grenade to go off gives me a huge FPS spike. With Counter-Strike Source I dont get this problem. I play with VSync off too.

I tried doing your fix but I don't see power management settings in my nvidia control panel.

Specs:

Q9650 (stock speed)

4GB DDR2-800

GTX 550Ti

295.73 WHQL forceware

WinXp 32bit

Posted 02/23/2012 09:36 PM   
nm
nm

Posted 03/03/2012 04:28 AM   
[quote name='Deathmort' date='08 January 2011 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1294527581' post='1173851']

My current specs are:
Quad core intel q6600
Corsair 2GB 800mhz
Windows 7 ultimate 32bit

[/quote]
Have you checked your memory configuration? you've got 2 gigs of memory but it's kinda slow. only 800MHz while your graphics card has GDDR5 @ 1700MHz. big difference in speed there. what does this mean? it means your memory is telling your graphics card "whoa, slow down there buddy, i can only handle so much info!" i'd recommend a memory increase. i'd recommend at least 1333MHz, but that's just me.
[quote name='Deathmort' date='08 January 2011 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1294527581' post='1173851']

My current specs are:

Quad core intel q6600

Corsair 2GB 800mhz

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Have you checked your memory configuration? you've got 2 gigs of memory but it's kinda slow. only 800MHz while your graphics card has GDDR5 @ 1700MHz. big difference in speed there. what does this mean? it means your memory is telling your graphics card "whoa, slow down there buddy, i can only handle so much info!" i'd recommend a memory increase. i'd recommend at least 1333MHz, but that's just me.

Posted 03/04/2012 08:46 PM   
Scroll To Top